Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
17-08-17, 08:11PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 69096
  • Total Topics: 1514
  • Online Today: 173
  • Online Ever: 826
  • (23-02-15, 06:44PM)
Users Online

Author Topic: A level playing field in distribution?  (Read 4798 times)

Arizonarugby

• Know All
Re: A level playing field in distribution?
« Reply #25 on: 07-07-17, 01:53PM »
As this thread is headed with regard to Distribution.

I will tell you something you probably are unaware of, USDAW are not the only representative body in Distribution, recent restructures have affected other represented groups not only USDAW, and although the consultations with the repective groups were held separately the outcome was the same, which Union was consulted made no difference to the process or the outcome.

So even the Notion that another union could do better or would do more is wearing very thin. I actually up until recently gave that notion some credit, yet was unsurprised to see that not to be the case.

No USDAW are the only union in distribution, but that's by grace as opposed to design, if Tesco had the choice every DC would be represented by USDAW. - all new depot are forced to take USDAW as their union - clearly there is a reason for this.

I agree that the other unions may not fair any better , but they do it up more of s fight ... I can't recall USDAW actually opposing any of Lewis's actions - even when he said the company could not afford a pay rise whilst accepting a £6 million golden hello or making a claim claim for £140k relocation, whilst making 2.5 k colleagues from head office redundant

Duracell

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #26 on: 07-07-17, 05:36PM »
Cityboy,  To be honest with you i think the thought of any government enforcing workforce reps is a bit delusional.
I am not talking in a context of not paying subs, when I talk about without I am talking about the structure and recogninition  not being in place,  I am talking the whole lot gone.

Who sit with you at a Diciplinary?
Who do people turn to when things go wrong at Investagotory, RTWs, AR's, performance or capability meetings, statutory right requested via legistion.
If there is no recognition and structure where does it leave workers other than out in the cold.

The top brass of the union and some paid officials are not important to me, I can't change it so why waste time focusing on it.
There is a definate and now overwhelming need for local reps to be there at local level now more than ever.

My mention of beans has caused confusion because I didn't phrase it correctly, it wasn't meant to try and define a greater value more of an attempt illustrating HOW would you ever measure the value, to realise the equal.

I realise that simplistic reasoning doesn't really help much and it never that simple, "you load a cage I load a cage" is another example yet you chose to use it, so I guess neither of us are helping.
I am not dimissing anyone's role and value to the business or saying anyone is greater than another, I just can't see how you will measure to realise what is equal.

Arizonarugby , Not sure DLT would have that stance considering some sites are generating income unrelated to selling products, they are selling space if they have it free. We may see more of it.
Also USDAW NO did ask what some in  Distribution wanted to do with regard to the pension change which happened with DL, they had less than a 30% response, so does that mean over 70% were ok with the change?

I have to be honest yes the EC can dissolve for all I care, but the Local reps are needed in my opinion, yet I can't see under union legislation how you can have the latter without the former.
I don't deny they need to far more at the TOP of the union.

My Opinion is exactly that, Mine.  Based on my view of what I know , see and what I would do.
"Being a rep doesn't make a person right anymore than not being a rep makes a person wrong " 

Duracell.

Carparkpothole

« Reply #27 on: 17-07-17, 08:24PM »
I've heard that q number of distribution centres are struggling to cope at the moment, why I'd this?

Duracell

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #28 on: 17-07-17, 11:21PM »
I have mentioned the struggle Distribution on the whole faces at the mo, I do wonder whether the restructure plays a part in it in some way, if so they need to put it right or time will only compound the issue.
My Opinion is exactly that, Mine.  Based on my view of what I know , see and what I would do.
"Being a rep doesn't make a person right anymore than not being a rep makes a person wrong " 

Duracell.

Carparkpothole

« Reply #29 on: 18-07-17, 09:04PM »
How bad could it get in distribution? Those of us that are new here or those that are unsure about the distribution  network, like me,  are wondering what has fully happened. Have the top brass messed up?

redcar renegade

• Regular Pain
« Reply #30 on: 18-07-17, 09:10PM »
In answer to carparkpothole , at Middlesbrough D.C loading seems to be in the red all the time with the excuse that the wagons needed have been diverted to grocery as they are meant to be 1 million cases behind.
We get support from other depots who can not do assembly so get put on loading or dekitting the trailers. They do not wrap the  3 cages on as we do or we get b*****ked. They put our loaders on assembly and then wonder why not a lot of people will do overtime. Wage negs cancelled yet again which is really getting peoples backs up.
Straight question anybody know what distribution have been offered a senior rep on our site quoting 8.25% over 2 yrs

optout

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #31 on: 18-07-17, 09:17PM »
check-out the small print of any offer and don't just go by the headline rate. Also, when you find out what they are offering, be sure to ask what they are taking in return.

Many in stores were blinded by the apparently generous head-line rate that was offered, but soon realized they had been conned when they stopped to do the math.
I AM NOT A REP, BUT......

Duracell

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #32 on: 18-07-17, 09:34PM »
I haven't heard that % but as Optout suggests if I do, I will be looking to see where the loss occurs, as in my experience such a generous pay increase and history would make you wonder where the catch is.

Duracell.

redcar renegade

• Regular Pain
« Reply #33 on: 18-07-17, 11:47PM »
Rumour is an offer of £500 to buy the 15 min break off us as it is impacting on KPI's too much, but think that wont be taking up. Also rumour about weekend premiums been cut but as we are on time & quarter cannot see this been a prospect

Carparkpothole

« Reply #34 on: 19-07-17, 05:16PM »
I didn't realise it was as bad as that. I thought it may be a temporary problem, but it sounds like it's only going to get worse.

redcar renegade

• Regular Pain
« Reply #35 on: 19-07-17, 05:23PM »
It might improve if Tesco stop treating us like animals and treat us like human beings. Moral thru the floor bringing agency in from other depots who just take the micheal as they wont have my performance.
Instead of looking at the root cause of problem Tesco bury their head in the sand. The people who do the job know best dont think anyone ever been asked for their input

Equalizer87

• Sad Muppet
« Reply #36 on: 19-07-17, 06:38PM »
Tesco treating people like human beings??? Is that a serious hope???

It's all gone in the retail world,  no more of the "people company" culture. I've seen criminals treated with more respect than a retail/distribution worker.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"

« Reply #37 on: 12-08-17, 09:54AM »
Hearing that the "New Sites Pay Deal" has been agreed and that USBORE recommends it to their members for approval but are they not telling / can't tell the members yet what It is?

Any Further News?