Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
23-03-17, 06:18PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 79310
  • Total Topics: 2090
  • Online Today: 155
  • Online Ever: 826
  • (23-02-15, 06:44PM)
Users Online

Author Topic: Additional Breaks  (Read 3078 times)

snowyowl

• VLH Supporter
  • Know All
Additional Breaks
« on: 28-10-16, 07:40AM »
 :question: Can anybody clarify how the additional 15 min break should be managed? How it is done in your Depot? Is there a necessity to use an additional card? Does the clock stop? Can you take both breaks together? I can't get a sensible answer from management at our Depot, the best I have received is "we're looking into it" I'm not going to ask the Union as at present I don't think we have one.  :( :( :( 

crabbit

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
Re: Additional Breaks
« Reply #1 on: 28-10-16, 08:08AM »
In my Depot,the break cant be taken in the first or the last hour of your shift (allegedly )
You swipe a non_suspened break card,so the clock doesnt stop,it shows as still time on your performance, how do you mean "both" breaks?
Are you referring to your 30 min lunch break?,if so then no it cant be taken st same time as 15 min break.
Surely someone at your depot could have relayed this to you....
Livingston depot briefed this out at the time and it gets re-briefed any time management feel its being abused
Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me.

Duracell

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #2 on: 28-10-16, 12:00PM »
Why swipe a card?
You can log your Break on your AMC.

First an last hour of shift are excluded periods for break... Generally not inforced as very few go against the rule.

To put your two 10 min breaks together has been done in exceptional circumstance in the past, where you either worked a rostered 12 hour shift or 4 hours overtime.. Putting your 2 rest breaks together can facilitate a longer paid rest break to give enough time to have a meal. A compromise to be able to have a second meal break on a 12 hour shift without the need to take it unpaid like your scheduled lunch period of 30 mins. Recognition of the length of shift. No extra cost to the company.
Individuals working 12 hours had the choice of how they wanted to take their breaks.

10      30     10
20      30
30      20

Only for 12 shift individuals

If I remember correctly when pooling the two 10 min breaks to create a 20 min break a card had to be swiped which verified the 20 min / 12 HR shift scenario.

12 hour shifts are very few and far between for some time but it was agreed sometime ago at LOCAL Level.

Only your unpaid lunch break suspends your performance as you can't be performance accountable or managed for an unpaid period. This is also true if you are late and your pay is Docked as per some agreements, your performance should be altered from the time you are being paid from not what would of been your shift start time.

« Last Edit: 28-10-16, 12:07PM by Duracell »
My Opinion is exactly that, Mine.  Based on my view of what I know , see and what I would do.
"Being a rep doesn't make a person right anymore than not being a rep makes a person wrong " 

Duracell.

CoffeeGate

• Regular Pain
« Reply #3 on: 28-10-16, 01:53PM »
At Teesport people wishing to take the 'OPTIONAL' non suspended break must swipe a card at the start and end of the break, it can be added onto to unpaid 30min or taken at a separate time, the clock does not stop whilst on the card in regards to % however the need for the cards is in place to track everyone so you can see if they are on their breaks.
Not sure about other depots but at ours we get 1 30 min unpaid that cannot be split, 1 15 non-suspended break and if doing 12 hours another 15 paid OT break. The 15 min break is however very poorly managed and policed in our depot. One day someone will take 16 mins instead of 15 and get pulled into the office and on another day you might see 20 people coming back late and not a word said. Very inconsistent.
And i can almost guarantee no one on a performance related job, including myself on a daily basis, works extra hard after their break to make up the lost time.

Duracell

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #4 on: 28-10-16, 02:33PM »
The Approach with Distribution is there are different Bargaining groups who have different rest break allowances.

So there is no one rule that fits all sites.
My Opinion is exactly that, Mine.  Based on my view of what I know , see and what I would do.
"Being a rep doesn't make a person right anymore than not being a rep makes a person wrong " 

Duracell.

snowyowl

• VLH Supporter
  • Know All
« Reply #5 on: 29-10-16, 07:56AM »
Thanks for all of your comments, I'm still confused as to why you say you aren't allowed to have them together?, I'm still confused as to why you have to swipe on and off a separate card? Why can't you just swipe out and have 45 minutes break? (we are not children) And lastly, isn't this "the clock stays running" discrimination against those of us on measured work?  :question:

redcar renegade

• Regular Pain
« Reply #6 on: 29-10-16, 10:00AM »
Snowyowl " the clock still running " discriminates against those on the pick do you really think Tesco are bothered it cost them nothing to give the 15 min break as you work the same hours but then they get joy of f**king you .
we give up some of our turn round bonus to get pay rise & 15 min break well shafted by tesco again. Wait till staff get asked about pay negs.

Duracell

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #7 on: 29-10-16, 10:43AM »
You can't pool a paid break and an unpaid break together and take in one block swiping in and out for one duration.

That's asking for trouble.

Duracell.

snowyowl

• VLH Supporter
  • Know All
« Reply #8 on: 29-10-16, 09:16PM »
 :question: Why? What possible difference does it make to Tosco?

Duracell

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #9 on: 30-10-16, 10:20AM »
Can't you imagine the chaos based on your experience.
We see very often the lack of trust in the company to get anything right.. Why give them opportunity to create more errors.

I would bet money that if people start pooling unpaid and paid breaks together and swiping (to suspend time clock) for 45 mins instead of 30, you would then see wage errors where people's paid 15mins becomes unpaid because it was pooled in with the 30 min unpaid.

I'm pretty sure the payroll system wouldn't be able to cope with a 45 swipe per day. It would probably flag up as an exception, sending vindictive managers into overdrive.

Why give them scenarios where they can f*** up even more.

Duracell.

snowyowl

• VLH Supporter
  • Know All
« Reply #10 on: 30-10-16, 06:44PM »
The point of my original question was basically to find out how it is managed at other Depots but the question does bring to light other
queries. A number of people at our Depot don't even clock off or on for breaks, discrimination. People on measured jobs are clearly being discriminated against, just two that spring to mind. Just another Tosco f*ck up eh! :'( :'( :'(

picktocube

• Sad Muppet
« Reply #11 on: 30-10-16, 06:53PM »
At the DC that I am at we only swipe for our 30 minute lunch break . All other breaks can be taken whenever we like as long as it is not in first 30 or last 60 minutes of shift . 20 minutes is maximum time for break,if on assembly we should push for break to stop the still time.

snowyowl

• VLH Supporter
  • Know All
« Reply #12 on: 30-10-16, 07:56PM »
 ;D Now doesn't that sound sensible, being treat like adults instead of inmates in prison. I'm very jealous. ;D

Duracell

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #13 on: 30-10-16, 11:54PM »
At the DC that I am at we only swipe for our 30 minute lunch break . All other breaks can be taken whenever we like as long as it is not in first 30 or last 60 minutes of shift . 20 minutes is maximum time for break,if on assembly we should push for break to stop the still time.

Sounds similar apart from the paid breaks being allowed whenever, at the DC I work if total break entitlement was taken all together questions would be asked.

The point of my original question was basically to find out how it is managed at other Depots but the question does bring to light other
queries. A number of people at our Depot don't even clock off or on for breaks, discrimination. People on measured jobs are clearly being discriminated against, just two that spring to mind. Just another Tosco f*ck up eh! :'( :'( :'(

As for some not swiping for breaks.. Is your comparison with others doing the same role as you?
If not, are you aware of the contractual obligations of that role.

I ask because it's difficult to prove victimisation where the roles compared have different contractual obligations.

If you swipe or not the system that decides payroll will auto deduct 30 mins if you don't if your shift length exceeds 6 hours.
With regards to timed work this is managed by a separate system, if unsuspended the clock will still tick, therefore not swiping would incur you a loss and a delay would be required to be keyed or a manually lunch period.
Swiping for lunch for those on measured jobs is a protection of your productivity.

If those who don't swipe are abusing the rest period they are not swiping for then they should be managed.

Duracell.

snowyowl

• VLH Supporter
  • Know All
« Reply #14 on: 31-10-16, 07:09AM »
 :) Thank you all for your comments, what have I learned that I didn't know. I now know that if Duracell and Picktocube work at different Depots there are two Depots that don't clock out for their additional breaks. I've learnt from tornadotommy that the additional break it's poorly managed at Teesport. I've learnt from Crabbit that this information should have been briefed out to us via the Depot (it wasn't) I've learnt from redcar renegade that they had to give up some of their turnaround bonus to actually get their additional break. All in all I've learnt that there is no consistency across the Depots with regards to these breaks. Typical Tosco another simple task they can't manage, talk about p*ss up and brewery.
(p.s. Duracell you mentioned "people should be managed" what's that then?)  >:( >:( >:(

Duracell

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #15 on: 31-10-16, 10:03AM »
Realistically and honestly.

You seem rensentful that some are not or don't have to swipe for their unpaid break.
Is this because they are taking more than the 30 mins. If so then they should be managed for doing so shouldn't they? Spoken to at least for taking "extended" breaks.

Some roles can put individuals anywhere at anytime. Unlike other roles that require individuals to be in a certain place because they are doing a certain task.

Very often we view what others say and do from our own perspective, sometimes that gives a blinkered view if we are unaware of the contractual expectations and obligations of other roles.
« Last Edit: 31-10-16, 10:05AM by Duracell »

Duracell.

redcar renegade

• Regular Pain
« Reply #16 on: 31-10-16, 11:15AM »
Snowyowl the best of it all whilst those on measured tasks lose percentage to get our break if you are clerical you have no problem because you can go to get a cuppa when you want and as often as you want WTF now that's discrimination

CoffeeGate

• Regular Pain
« Reply #17 on: 31-10-16, 03:49PM »
Like Mr Renegade has said the biggest issue at Teesport is that fact that it is near impossible to manage the breaks of those off the system, if on the pick it can be seen exactly when you have scanned your last box and you may even be asked, why did you take 5 mins from your last scan to swiping a break card... However the clerical staff at the other end of the scale may for example set off at say 9.00, have a slow walk and scan at 9.10 return at 9.25 another slow walk and then sit down with another coffee at 9.35, 35 mins for a 15 min break. Similar story with those on Containers, minus the coffee. I know the clerks have their own way of doing things and a majority of them do stick to the rules, but the few who are seen taking advantage are the ones causing problems.
Worst thing Tesco has ever done at Teesport was the 15 min break, and it is true we dropped from 5% to 2% turnaround bonus to get the 15 (aswell as pay increase) which we were never told would be non-suspended. Hence the poor morale at the depot.

Sarcinarous

« Reply #18 on: 07-11-16, 12:27AM »
You're not supposed to take the break in the first 30 minutes or the last hour of your shift. You're not supposed to take both breaks together. Although currently people play loose with these rules. (I can see it being very different in January when they become dicks about performance and breaks during the "slow" period).

redcar renegade

• Regular Pain
« Reply #19 on: 10-03-17, 12:29PM »
Can somebody update me with some information I have heard that a couple of D.C's have sold the break back to Tesco and if so which one's.