Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
24-01-17, 03:07PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 74698
  • Total Topics: 2028
  • Online Today: 138
  • Online Ever: 826
  • (23-02-15, 06:44PM)
Users Online

Author Topic: Nightshift to twilight  (Read 117709 times)

hetty

• VLH Supporter
Nightshift to twilight
« on: 12-05-16, 10:54AM »
Our store is closing at night, most staff are taking redundancy as they work full time and the hours offered to them are shameful.
There are a few part timers staying.
Is there anyone here that had gone from a night shift to twilight? how are you finding it?

yorkshireboy

• VLH Supporter
  • Regular Pain
Re: Nightshift to twilight
« Reply #1 on: 12-05-16, 11:05AM »
As a night filler soon to be affected by this I am interested to know what the company are doing about the bakeries and Price Integrity that work alongside us fillers at night are they continuing or are they getting the elbow as well ?

T.C.1

« Reply #2 on: 12-05-16, 11:16AM »
Hi Hetty, what format is your store Extra, superstore and when all this happening??

Equalizer87

• Smart Arse
« Reply #3 on: 12-05-16, 11:24AM »
In my old store they are doing the opposite, trying to get fill time staff on nights.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"

cosmosmallpiece

• VLH Supporter
  • Know All
« Reply #4 on: 12-05-16, 12:43PM »
In our store we have not gone over to twilight yet but most of our vacancies are 6pm-3am. We have been assured that we will not lose our night team but I think otherwise. Time will tell but the more information we can get from the stores that this has affected the better.

I wish all affected staff all the best in whatever they choose to do.  And hope that the people at the top can live with what they have done to us, I am a firm believer what goes round comes around. 

bobbywm

• Regular Pain
« Reply #5 on: 12-05-16, 01:49PM »
As a night filler soon to be affected by this I am interested to know what the company are doing about the bakeries and Price Integrity that work alongside us fillers at night are they continuing or are they getting the elbow as well ?
Our store went to twilights  last year 1500-0000pm.  PI still works there, he does other jobs until 7pm when the labels come off,  and just makes the store legal before midnight etc.   We didn't have a night shift bakery so not sure on that, and me on Merch.  We just carry on as usual,  just have to be more careful around customers.  Its not all that bad really,  has its good and bad points, depends on your circumstances.
Keep on Rockin' in the free world

Tesco bird

• Know All
« Reply #6 on: 12-05-16, 05:38PM »
Not good for those with children at school!!!!  (-*-)

tumshie

• Global Moderator
  • Sad Muppet
  • life is not a rehearsal
« Reply #7 on: 12-05-16, 06:34PM »
If there are no night staff, when is the store open to staff, in the mornings?

A lot of stores have bakery staff starting at 3 or 4 or 5 am.

hetty

• VLH Supporter
« Reply #8 on: 12-05-16, 07:47PM »
The store is a superstore. The twilight shift is going to be 6pm - 12pm, with the shop closing to customers at 11pm.

nightslave101

• Regular Pain
« Reply #9 on: 12-05-16, 09:20PM »
I still talk to a few colleagues from my old store which has started closing at midnight.

The casualties from that were the checkout staff, security and the senior night manager. But I believe the senior manager got offered a position on days as some sort of deputy even though they were supposed to be doing away with that role? - Nice how the big wigs keep their job but they make others redundant eh!

There is still a night fill in place run by two line managers and the general staff that's left, but my mate said they do seem to be dwindling the staff down to a skeleton crew as when folk leave they don't get the hours replaced.

I honestly think twilight hours of say 16:00-00:00 are actually worse than just doing a night-shift. Not sure I'd like to be forced to do it and I do feel sorry for people in that position.
« Last Edit: 12-05-16, 09:22PM by nightslave101 »

Tesco bird

• Know All
« Reply #10 on: 12-05-16, 09:43PM »
Totally agree. I still keep in touch with friends and things have def got worse. And no one wants to do those twilight hours as most friends have kids.  (-*-)

Mirage

« Reply #11 on: 12-05-16, 09:44PM »
any idea if and when they are rolling this out nationally

beerbaron

• Regular Pain
« Reply #12 on: 12-05-16, 09:50PM »
From what I've heard and read in other posts and threads doesn't it depend on the stores performance etc. What about stores like ours that have a dot com department. I heard some stores still work through the night but behind closed doors what stores will qualify for that rather then moving to twilight?

the rule book

• Regular Pain
« Reply #13 on: 13-05-16, 02:36PM »
I have a few questions regarding this subject if any one can answer I would apperiate it.

1 what are the new contracts for the staff, are they placed on flexi?
2 full time staff would they keep their hours?
3 is it just a move to an earlier start or is a complete move to different days worked?
4 how would it effect departments like pi and merchandise ?
5 having empty stores for 6 hours would that not be a insurance risk?

hetty

• VLH Supporter
« Reply #14 on: 17-05-16, 12:40PM »
I don't know many answers to your questions but based on what's happened in our store, every member of staff lost their hours and nights worked, we could then apply for the new hours that had been placed on the board.  These ranged from 8-22 hours a week with ONE 27.5 hour job available.  So the ones who worked full time had no other option than taking redundancy.

Yes it affects PI and merchandising if they work through the night. 

tumshie

• Global Moderator
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #15 on: 17-05-16, 03:45PM »
Glad to hear redundancy was at least on offer.
All the same, being made to apply for completely different hours and shifts is not supposed to be part of the redundancy process.

https://www.gov.uk/staff-redundant/overview

"Offers of alternative work

Even if you’ve selected someone for redundancy, you can still offer them alternative work.

For an offer to be valid:

it should be unconditional and in writing
    it must be made before the employee’s current contract ends
    it should show how the new job differs from the old
    the job must actually be offered to the employee - they shouldn’t have to apply
    the new job must start within 4 weeks of the old job ending

Employees who accept an offer of alternative work are allowed a 4-week trial period to see if the work is suitable. If you both agree that it isn’t, they can still claim redundancy pay.

The trial period can be longer than 4 weeks if you agree this in writing.

If you think the job is suitable but the employee refuses to take it, they might lose any redundancy pay entitlement.

That last sentence looks a bit worrying, but employees have successfully taken employers to court for trying to claim that job offers were suitable when they weren't.

poppy1

• VLH Supporter
« Reply #16 on: 17-05-16, 04:38PM »
Tumshie I know this topic is about redundancy but as a matter of interest does any of this apply to the right hours process especally the part about 4 weeks to see if it is suitable, thank you

Annoyed85

« Reply #17 on: 18-05-16, 12:29AM »
Our store changed from nights to twighlight 5pm-2am 3 years ago. Colleagues on night contracts are still getting paid night premiums for another year, no one was offered redundancy, we had to just like it. I prefer the earlier shift as I have kind of got my life back. Just hard to readjust to seeing customers again.

tumshie

• Global Moderator
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #18 on: 18-05-16, 02:54AM »
I'm not a rep and not an expert on this, poppy1, but I've not heard of that applying to rhrp. Here is a link to the VLH Wiki info on rhrp.

http://www.verylittlehelps.com/wiki/index.php?title=Right_Hours_Right_Place

Step

« Reply #19 on: 18-05-16, 03:43AM »
Our store is closing at night, most staff are taking redundancy as they work full time and the hours offered to them are
shameful.
There are a few part timers staying.
Is there anyone here that had gone from a night shift to twilight? how are you finding it?

Do you know what is happening to your night managers? We're they offered redundancy or simply moved to a dayshift job?

Woody44

« Reply #20 on: 18-05-16, 07:41AM »
Anyone know why some sm and pm were called out to a meeting yesterday only  selected few stores

lordadmiral

• Regular Pain
« Reply #21 on: 18-05-16, 07:48AM »
It can be anything :)

David1

« Reply #22 on: 18-05-16, 10:13AM »
Anyone know why some sm and pm were called out to a meeting yesterday only  selected few stores

If your store is an Extra or Superstore then your managers were at a briefing about your store closing overnight. Don't expect to hear anything immediately as all attendees signed a Non Disclosure Agreement to prevent information leaking.
« Last Edit: 18-05-16, 10:19AM by David1 »

beerbaron

• Regular Pain
« Reply #23 on: 18-05-16, 11:08AM »
Our stores a superstore. Are they looking to close all extras and superstores then? Or will some still operate through the night but behind closed doors?

beerbaron

• Regular Pain
« Reply #24 on: 18-05-16, 11:11AM »
When will we all know about the extras and superstores?