Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
05-12-19, 10:26PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62726
  • Total Topics: 1103
  • Online Today: 180
  • Online Ever: 826
  • (23-02-15, 06:44PM)
Users Online
Users: 5
Guests: 118
Total: 123

Author Topic: Attendance review  (Read 25229 times)

Aeroquack

Re: Attendance review
« Reply #25 on: 10-11-16, 10:55AM »
Hi sorry for hijacking a thread with my query but i cant seem to find where the link is to create a new topic as I've only registered today and am still learning to navigate my way through the site. Because of the title of this thread i thought that this is a good place to put my query without adding clutter to this forum. I have tried searching for my query using the search string "attendance review deadline for night workers" but cant find any information that answers my query. I am a union member if that's of any significance to getting any responses.

My query is related to me trying to get an attendance review meeting acknowledged for being out of process.

Facts:
I work nights. I was sick on a Monday shift. I then returned to work on Wednesday as my first shiftb back after illness and had my back to work. The following Wednesday during my shift I was told I had an ARM. I advised the managers in the meeting that this is after 7 days and not in process as the deadline was Tuesday being the 7th day and Wednesday being the 8th day. I was told I was incorrect. I then told them that they were incorrect. So I counted the days to them.     You don't count your first shift back. Can't remember where it say's this but we have looked into this a number of times in the past..

1) Wednesday (BackToWork) 2)Thu 3)Fri 4)Sat 5)Sun 6)Mon 7)Tue...and 8)Wednesday....

They continued to disagree because I'm a night worker quoting a rule that my 7 days are different to a dayshifters because for night workers days count from midday to midday and not midnight to midnight.

Now i have never heard of this midday rule before in sickness for night workers but i was prepared to honour their train of thought. So even applying this midday rule logic it still equals 8 days which i pointed out to them...

1) 12:00pm Wed - 11:59am Thu -First shift back to work; Wed 22:00 >> Thu 07:00
2) 12:00pm Thu - 11:59am Fri    -ARM (not given)
3) 12:00pm Fri - 11:59am Sat     -ARM (not given)
4) 12:00pm Sat - 11:59am Sun   -ARM (not given)
5) 12:00pm Sun - 11:59am Mon  -ARM (not given)
6) 12:00pm Mon - 11:59am Tue  -ARM (not given
7) 12:00pm Tue - 11:59am Wed -ARM (not given - day 7)
8.) 12:00pm Wed - 11:59am Thu  -out of process (ARM attempted and disputed)

I have gone through the old and new sickness procedures and I cant see anything other than your ARM has to be within 7 days from your by the way. I've looked for definitions of a nightworkers "day" or "shift" but cant find anything that supports this midday ruling I've been told about even though a midday deadline will still equate my ARM being on the 8th day. The procedures refer to the days as calander days and nowhere can i see anything different.

Additional info:
I work 3 nights a week. The ARM wasn't from a deferred date within the deadline. This has happened in the past with another pair of managers and different PM but i was told they were wrong for acknowledging it being 8 days and out of process. I understand punishment would be a slap on the wrist and not worried about it but its the principle, if they say stuff like "I need to honour my contract" then surely they need to honour the procedures; hence why I'm fighting it..

So am i wrong or are they wrong? Thanks for anyone respones.

1man2jobs

« Reply #26 on: 10-11-16, 11:00AM »
As stated on the 'Our Tesco' Website:
"If your absence is over the absence review level* you will be asked to attend an Attendance Review Investigation meeting. This will take place within seven days following the day you returned to work".

So (unfortunately for your case) my interpretation would be the first day following your return day = Thursday and therefore the 7th day following your return would be the next Wednesday.

Yes I read that segment and thought the word "following" may mean first day back is day 0. However i feel that if that was the case surely it would be written as "after/from" however what led me to believe that word "following" was inclusive of the seven days are these screen shots from the new booklet from October plus also the repetive nature that the argument within 7 days of returning to work comes up in other threads i search in.. here are the screen shots from the booklet

https://i.imgsafe.org/451721dbbf.png

https://i.imgsafe.org/451a55731c.png

Thanks again for your responses.
« Last Edit: 10-11-16, 11:02AM by 1man2jobs »

Morris999

• Smart Arse
« Reply #27 on: 10-11-16, 11:48AM »
Under the new SYA policy they now have 8 days to complete the ARM meeting if they decide to move it to that after the welcome back meeting, however they must invite you to this with a letter giving 24 hours notice!
If they haven't given you a letter giving you 24 hours notice that they intend to give you the ARM meeting then appeal because they haven't followed the correct process!

1man2jobs

« Reply #28 on: 10-11-16, 12:07PM »
Global Moderator Comment Please do not quote the last post in a thread.

Yes I can confirm that there was no letter ever produced so thanks for this option thank you Morris999.

However i have to ask if the document i am quoting is the new procedure i got from a link in the 'stores' sub-forum it differentiates a worker who works 2 or less days and those that work 3 or more and the difference it stipulates is that the 2 or less day worker has eight calender days and the 3 or more day worker has seven calander days of your return to work; so why am i being classed as a 2 day worker and why would the examples provided in the document not be valid for me?

heres a link to the examples in the procedure: https://i.imgsafe.org/462832f6e7.png

or am i getting something completely wrong????
« Last Edit: 10-11-16, 01:19PM by tumshie »

LucyJ

• VLH Supporter
« Reply #29 on: 29-11-16, 07:12PM »
Hello can i ask someone for advice on here please? I'm not long new to this group and just wanted to know how long between having a welcome back and the attendance review meeting are they allowed to have. I returned to work last tues,had a welcome back and haven't received a letter stating when my nxt meeting is as i was over the percentage . THANKS  :)

Morris999

• Smart Arse
« Reply #30 on: 29-11-16, 08:44PM »
They do not have to move it to an ARM if over the review level anymore.
However if they do decide to move it to an ARM then they must give you a letter inviting you to it, giving at least 24 hours notice.
They have 8 days to do a ARM from the day you come back.

LucyJ

• VLH Supporter
« Reply #31 on: 30-11-16, 11:53AM »
Would that be my 8 days up now..I returned to work last Tuesday and have received no letter or anything? Thank you

Terrahawk2016

« Reply #32 on: 30-11-16, 04:25PM »
Would that be my 8 days up now..I returned to work last Tuesday and have received no letter or anything? Thank you

Even if they gave you a letter today the attendance meeting would fall out with process so no action could be taken, this happened to me a few weeks ago when I received a letter 8 days after I had returned & the meeting took place 10 days after my RTW  , although as someone has said they might not be taking it to the ARM as each case is judged on its own merits now but you would think they would have the decency to say that was the case.

LucyJ

• VLH Supporter
« Reply #33 on: 30-11-16, 05:02PM »
Thank..Yes when i went for my welcome back,i was told i was over the review level. Seven per cent and that i would be getting a letter through the post stating when my ar would be..Have heard nothing so am saying nothing untill they come to me..

Terrahawk2016

« Reply #34 on: 30-11-16, 05:07PM »
I might be wrong & hopefully someone will correct me if I am as I don't have my workbook at hand for the new sya process but any letter inviting you to an attendance review should have been given to you personally, the letter I received for mine was handed to me personally. But if nobody chases you up I'd do the same as you & keep quiet lol

GreenGrocer

• Sad Muppet
« Reply #35 on: 30-11-16, 05:20PM »
Mgmt miss these meetings alot in my store.  :-X

trolleyboy96

• Know All
« Reply #36 on: 30-11-16, 05:58PM »
You should be told in the welcome back meeting or return to work or whatever we are calling them that a ARM is required and follow up with a letter.

LucyJ

• VLH Supporter
« Reply #37 on: 30-11-16, 06:18PM »
Thanks everyone who commented on my post for all the info :thumbup: It's Great to know all your knowledge shared.
THXS AGAIN  :thumbup: :)

Morris999

• Smart Arse
« Reply #38 on: 30-11-16, 10:54PM »
Terrahawk2016, they can post you your invite letter, however the ARM must still be within 8 days and the letter MUST arrive at your address 24 hours before the ARM!

Expressdude2016

• Sad Muppet
« Reply #39 on: 30-11-16, 11:03PM »
Terrahawk2016, they can post you your invite letter, however the ARM must still be within 8 days and the letter MUST arrive at your address 24 hours before the ARM!

within 8 days for a 1 or 2 day worker rest within 7 days and yeh it can be posted or emailed now

Morris999

• Smart Arse
« Reply #40 on: 30-11-16, 11:23PM »
Briefing pack I was given said 8 days for all colleagues due to having to give invite, regardless of how many days worked.
PM and SM challenged on this and both said 8 days for all colleagues.

Morris999

• Smart Arse
« Reply #41 on: 30-11-16, 11:33PM »
to be honest it doesn't surprise me that my PM and SM have briefed the managers in my store wrong they are completely useless!
« Last Edit: 30-11-16, 11:34PM by Morris999 »

claden

• Smart Arse
« Reply #42 on: 01-12-16, 05:51AM »
It'seems only 8 days for people contracted to 1 or 2 nights. It'seems very clear in the policy. Foe some reason the Union hierarchy miss read it to so what chance do we stand.

LucyJ

• VLH Supporter
« Reply #43 on: 01-12-16, 05:54AM »
I'm contracted 5 days a week..

tumshie

• Global Moderator
  • Sad Muppet
  • life is not a rehearsal
« Reply #44 on: 01-12-16, 10:48AM »
Looks like you are safe now anyway, LucyJ, as 8 days have passed!

LucyJ

• VLH Supporter
« Reply #45 on: 01-12-16, 12:13PM »
Thanks Everyone! Though I'm a bit gutted because I was off sick for a health reason and can't really do the job that I was doing before. So I'm still in my department but doing a job that isn't actually anyone's jobs description but a lot of the fellas do this job.

I asked could I stay in this role & my manager said to me "The fellas like to do that job"..I feel like he is trying g to push me out of my department now because I'm no longer as useful to him.  He asked me did I not see any jobs that I would go for.  I said no, as there is not enough hours for me because I'm contracted a lot more.  He kept saying to me, I'm not trying to push you out now.  But that's how he made me feel.  I don't trust any union reps in my store so I don't know where I stand.

tumshie

• Global Moderator
  • Sad Muppet
  • life is not a rehearsal
« Reply #46 on: 01-12-16, 01:14PM »
Maybe your manager is trying to avoid documenting that your health has changed and you need to change role?
Ask for a private chat about it and make sure he documents it properly for your file.

(It might be worth starting a new thread about this, by the way, if you are looking for more advice.)

LucyJ

• VLH Supporter
« Reply #47 on: 01-12-16, 03:58PM »
Ok,thxs tumshie  :thumbup:

lucgeo

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #48 on: 01-12-16, 06:01PM »
LucyJ

"The fellas like to do that job" is not an answer! It's showing favouritism.

If this job has no description, and it is ample for your hours, then it is part of a daily routine surely?

You need to ask yourself, is this job relevant to the running of the dept? If it was not done, would the dept manage without it being done??

Do as tumshie has advised, get it documented with your manager, ask the question again about doing the different role you have been doing? Take a trusted colleague or friend into the meeting to make notes.
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

LucyJ

• VLH Supporter
« Reply #49 on: 01-12-16, 06:41PM »
Yes, I thought it was a bit sexist and my manager shows favouritism very much to certain co workers.  (s)he is afraid of certain ones so let's them rule the roost.  The job is important in the department to keep things running efficiently.  Apparently certain people have been kicking off about me doing this job so I think (s)he is putting pressure on me trying to push me out, rather than stand up and do their job and be a manager instead of staff dictating to them! No respect for this Manager at all.