Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
05-12-19, 11:10PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62727
  • Total Topics: 1103
  • Online Today: 180
  • Online Ever: 826
  • (23-02-15, 06:44PM)
Users Online

Author Topic: Attendance review  (Read 25232 times)

Long gone

Re: Attendance review
« Reply #100 on: 30-10-19, 10:27AM »
8-) I would be extremely suprised if their doctor had supplied an exemption certificate, based on false ailments  ??? Most requested medical certificates are charged, and the doctor signs that certificate as a statement of fact,  so doubt very much the doc is going to risk their reputation for £25 just so Joe blogs doesn't need answer a red call  ???

I'm also curious and concerned as to how the management can make it common knowledge that the colleague's condition is fictitious and brand them a liar! More concerning is that it is covered under the Data protection act and therefore, should be stored in their personnel file, and not be accessible to any manager, unless they request it from personnel for a related reason!

I can 100% guarantee that the colleague who got the note showed me the letter they had received that was printed from the doctor before they handed it to management and most of it was false in regards to what was claimed. They were all what you would consider “ mental ailments” not something like “ don’t get staff member to lift as they have a dodgy back” etc. They were things that you couldn’t really prove in store even though most managers these  days seem to have a medical degree and can tell you when you can and can’t work. The managers knew the colleague was pulling a lot of strings and discussed it loud as you like when the canteen was still staffed so everyone and their grandmother knew about it. Managers still tried to get the staff member on tills and to perform the jobs that they were exempt from and ignored the note until the personnel manger at the time rang the doctor himself asking him to disclose information for which he rightly refused due to patient confidentiality. Afterwards they stopped asking the colleague  altogether due to the note and the fact that they were getting nowhere with it

NightAndDay

• Smart Arse
« Reply #101 on: 30-10-19, 11:53AM »
The manager can't ask or force the ca in question to perform duties which they are exempt from on a documented sick note, failure to comply with doctors recommendations leaves the company open to discrimination or if it comes to it unfair or constructive dismissal claims. Likewise speaking about such topics out loud in such a way that other staff members are aware of documented ailments is a gross breach of confidentiality and trust and fair game for grievances, documented mental illness is also something that has to be accomodated appropriately or be liable for discrimination etc.

As much as the personel manager will protect the misconduct of store managers, where the actions of the store manager makes the company liable, they will take advice from general counsel, if their advise is to make the SM disappear, the PM has to comply.

lucgeo

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #102 on: 30-10-19, 01:03PM »
I've never heard of a exemption certificate (athough I guess I've been fortunate to never need anything like it) so I tried searching for it, all I found was references to free prescriptions and other healthcare costs?

8-) my apologies, I think I have misled you on the terms I used. An exemption certificate is not an official document, like a fit note. It is a G.P. letter of statement to certify a persons medical condition determines their lack of ability to perform certain tasks, or could have a detrimental effect on that person's condition, should they attempt to perform those tasks, and should be permanently excluded from those tasks.

It would not qualify for an occupational health assessment, as the person is fully able to perform the tasks required of them in their own department, for which they were employed.

A good management team would be aware from the outset of that fact. A good manager, who may have been informed by the employee ONCE, would gain clarification from the personnel dept regarding that employees limitations, and move on from there. A good manager would discuss with the employee what departments they WERE able to support, to go and free up a team member of that department when required to support elsewhere.

No employee should be expected to constantly explain their reason for declining the request to any Tom, Dick or Harry manager, and certainly does not need to disclose their medical condition to that dick of a manager, because their condition is "unseen" so therefore said dick of a manager, decides he is making a reasonable request until that employee explains themselves and their condition fully.

« Last Edit: 30-10-19, 01:07PM by lucgeo »
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

lucgeo

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #103 on: 30-10-19, 01:16PM »
@ Long gone

You only know what that colleague has told and shown you, whether it is a falsehood, or an attempt by that colleague to show bravado, not wanting to admit to their ailments, or a bit of immaturity is open to speculation.

However the management are acting recklessly, in disclosing that medical information and making comments for all to hear!

Redshoes

• Smart Arse
« Reply #104 on: 30-10-19, 03:35PM »
They should have a passport put in place. This details what someone is like on a good day and then on a bad etc. There is a procedure in place for a situation like this. There is also a Risk Assessment for someone who feels under stress at work. Once the colleague has both of these they can go down the occupational health referral route but both of these should cover off what is needed.
On the other hand, now is not the best time to tie yourself down to only being able to do one job. The structure change in metro has divided colleagues up into Service, Admin and replenishment. I was not part of the structure change and it's not in my store, yet. I have however talked to people and the jobs are given out on a score basis. Added points for being a first aider, for being skilled in more than one area, availability etc. If you want redundancy or not to be matched to a job when it comes to the larger stores it's not an issue.
The metro structure is harsh. It has teething problem, too soon to see if these will iron out. It will land in the bigger stores but we can only guess when. It was four years between express and metro roll out but I don't think it will be four years again.
Anyway, the process needs to be followed. Nothing can be done until it has. If the colleague needs this support we need to do the right thing. If not we need to follow the process and allow it to do its thing. I will add to other comments about privacy, you may have inside information but you can't share it. Medical information is the most sensitive of all. It is not only a breach of data protection but talking about it and showing you don't agree can be seen as bullying. If colleague has mental health issues, with a letter from the dr, they could claim that they have been put under additional pressure with increased stress levels at work. A tribunal would love that.

lucgeo

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #105 on: 31-10-19, 11:21AM »
I don't understand parts of your post..."now is not a good time to tie yourself down to one department?" If someone is employed to do a certain job, which they are fully capable of doing, to then later be asked to support another dept, which they are unable to do, they are not tying themselves down.

The new restructuring, cannot override a persons abilities, because it's now expected of you! New employees will have been advised of these expectations, and continued to be employed on that understanding.

A passport, or whatever new fangled phrase they've dreamed up, does not, and should not, be used to " monitor" a colleagues performance, and an non medical experience manager should not be "monitoring" to decide if that colleague is in fact having a good or bad day!

alf

• VLH Supporter
  • Know All
« Reply #106 on: 31-10-19, 12:14PM »
Passports aren't a new fangled thing from tesco.

The employee states what they are capable of on a good or bad day.

So for example Doris from checkouts may have arthritis, on a good day she may be a bit slower than someone else, on a bad day significantly so. The purpose being if Doris says to her manager her arthritis is flaring up her manager knows what to expect.

lucgeo

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #107 on: 31-10-19, 01:20PM »
Obviously something along the lines of arthritis is an evident ailment, obvious to most so would require little in the way of explanation.

But a hidden illness?? One that the sufferer does not wish to be common knowledge? Who do they inform if their manager is not in?? Duty would be preferable, but they are usually found on the shop floor in earshot of everyone. But even then how many times is duty run by people on options, or a pre options given the ' phone for 5 mins...yes it does happen...or the checkout team support, who is not a manager so should not automatically be privvy to people's medical conditions, or a CA whose been asked to run the line?? Or the need to state to a colleague that they can't take over as they need to speak to duty etc....gossips have a field day!

alf

• VLH Supporter
  • Know All
« Reply #108 on: 31-10-19, 02:01PM »
If we want tesco to support colleagues with physical or mental illness/inevitably somone in tesco with some authority is going to need some information in order to provide the support required.

That's the purpose of the passport, it's a concise way of recording adjustments that have been agreed, the employee themself  can then decide who has access, their direct manager being the default person, but if another manager regularly covers their department the employee may choose to share it with them. For other peope like team support, I'd simply state something along the lines of "I have a written agreement with manager X".

In other words it's meant to avoid the situation in which you describe, it's not a perfect system, but it's far better than nothing.

:edit: I don't know if you have access to ourtesco, as there is full documentation on there with completed examples, but here's another guide https://www.tuc.org.uk/research-analysis/reports/reasonable-adjustments-disability-passports?page=6#section_header
« Last Edit: 31-10-19, 02:07PM by alf »

• Regular Pain
« Reply #109 on: 31-10-19, 04:36PM »
I have an adjustment passport. One copy is kept in my personnel file, the other I keep in my locker just in case I need to prove why I can't do something.
The problem with it is that the passport is supposed to be reviewed and amended every so often. Mine hasn't been reviewed for over 2 years and I honestly can't be bothered to chase my manager in order to update it, she has enough to do. Fortunately everything was covered in the first adjustment passport and even though I am worse now it doesn't matter too much.
What does bother me though is that I've been registered disabled for 10 years but it took me being off work for 5 weeks with depression (not all work related) before anything was put in place.

Long gone

« Reply #110 on: 31-10-19, 05:30PM »
The company is a joke with all this passport nonsense. If a colleague has a doctors note or stated by a previous post “arthritis” then how can they expect a colleague to perform good one day and then maybe worse the next. They should respect the fact that colleagues have something that is wrong with them and management are required to obey that and not keep bringing it up every week in the hopes it may just drastically disappear. Managers treat ailments like it’s a cold.
“Oh so it says here in your notes you have paranoid delusional schizophrenia but next week who knows the other person you think you are may be able to answer a red call?”

Redshoes

• Smart Arse
« Reply #111 on: 31-10-19, 05:52PM »
We don't live in a black and white world. I should have mentioned "adjustment" when I first mentioned passport. It is not perfect but we won't have something that is perfect for everyone. It can however be very good. It is in place to make adjustments for when a colleague needs it. As in "on a good days I am good at interacting with people and I'm fine doing my job on the shop floor" and then "on a bad day you may notice I am quieter, I go for my breaks alone as I struggle to interact but I can still do my job". They can also include a trigger word or phrase for when the colleague is needing help but does not want to ask.
They may well decide they don't want others to know what is in the passport, but they may find it easier to say "I have a passport, I'm not having a good night".  If they don't want anyone to know what is in it, that is up to them. The passport is for those who really don't mind and it's a way of making things easier for them and it should stop them from repeatedly saying that they can't go on tills and it's agreed.