Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
21-08-18, 06:26PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 79802
  • Total Topics: 1661
  • Online Today: 124
  • Online Ever: 826
  • (23-02-15, 06:44PM)
Users Online

Author Topic: Staff searches  (Read 28123 times)

Welshie

• VLH Supporter
  • Know All
Re: Staff searches
« Reply #175 on: 04-08-18, 01:32AM »
What search ?? We're called in and told to sign the book but it's been about a year since even that happened .

lucgeo

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #176 on: 04-08-18, 10:55AM »
I've only been there a couple of months, so I'm not really in a position to cause any trouble. I was a bit shocked the first time it happened and had to strip down to my bra and knickers, but everyone there just seems to accept it as normal

If this is the norm in your store, then I would be speaking to my rep ASAP. Next time you are asked for a staff search, ask for your rep to be present. They cannot refuse your request. With you being female, Is the search conducted with two females, when you are asked to strip down to your underwear ??? ???
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

GreenGrocer

• Sad Muppet
« Reply #177 on: 04-08-18, 11:42AM »
What search ?? We're called in and told to sign the book but it's been about a year since even that happened .

Our manager tells us to empty our pockets before you have finished you have been told to sign. 

Nomad

• Administrator
  • Sad Muppet
  • Who dares, wins.
« Reply #178 on: 04-08-18, 12:05PM »
lucgeo.

Although its in a 'private' room with managers of the same gender, there is a window in the door and other staff can see in when they walk past. 
Nomad ( Forum Admin )
It's better to be up in arms than down on your knees.

Duracell

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #179 on: 04-08-18, 03:43PM »
I've only been there a couple of months, so I'm not really in a position to cause any trouble. I was a bit shocked the first time it happened and had to strip down to my bra and knickers, but everyone there just seems to accept it as normal

If this is the norm in your store, then I would be speaking to my rep ASAP. Next time you are asked for a staff search, ask for your rep to be present. They cannot refuse your request. With you being female, Is the search conducted with two females, when you are asked to strip down to your underwear ??? ???

I’d simply ring the Protecter line, give them all the details, tell them it’s unacceptable and you expect it to stop with immediate effect or you will take the matter further.
My Opinion is exactly that, Mine.  Based on my view of what I know , see and what I would do.
"Being a rep doesn't make a person right anymore than not being a rep makes a person wrong " 

Duracell.

Blooming bws

« Reply #180 on: 04-08-18, 05:02PM »
Hi ive been asked to have a staff searcher and havent even started work had coat on  handbag and walked past them going to lockers  ;D ;D (-*-) and they asked my reply bloody eager beavers eh ask me at 10pm when i start lol xx

notsofunny

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #181 on: 04-08-18, 06:38PM »
Surprisingly, there is no mention in the policy regarding what clothing they can ask you to remove apart from a hijab, niqab & turban.
However, I believe that a reasonable person would be happy with removing shoes, hi-viz, jacket, but not any further. 
If it was requested, then my response would be a definite "NO", followed by a complaint to head office.

Cant find the rules on Hijab,Niqab and Turban Can you point  it out for me ?

The niqab is a face covering And I have never seen any lady working for Any retail company that had one , let alone working for Tesco  8-) , as for the Turban you ask a Sikh to remove it and the chances are he would kill you first ,they are even exempt from putting on a crash helmet on ,

Then to the removing clothing to the underpants , has anyone asked to see the policy ? or asked head office to clear on it ,

I would go down the road of something like sexual harassment assault , As a manager we always got told  that we only needed to ask the person to pull shirts tightly for ward which would show a out line of what could be underneath ,

Just thinking out load have you asked to find out if the S/M and other higher have ever been asked to strip off ? and if you can take part in the when they are ?

BlueToon

• VLH Supporter
  • Regular Pain
« Reply #182 on: 04-08-18, 08:02PM »
No problem, Section 5 of the latest search policy has the following;

"If you wear a turban, hijab (headscarf) or niqab (face veil),
we will only request that you remove these when there are
reasonable grounds for us to do so. You will be able to
remove these items in a private area. If you are removing
a turban, then a mirror will also be provided. In cases
where a headscarf or face veil has been asked to be
removed, this should only be done in the presence of a
female colleague(s)."

gomezz

• Global Moderator
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #183 on: 04-08-18, 10:55PM »
That last part is ambiguous.  Does not exclude a male colleague also being present.
"The progress of the kart is more important than its direction"

lucgeo

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #184 on: 05-08-18, 07:40AM »
@Duracell

Indeed, protector line is an option, but as the poster stated she didn't want to cause trouble, and we all know the usual way protector line works ???

The are some exceptions but it usually goes.......ring protector line.....they make notes and email to store the complaint.....SM kicks off......the managers single out the complainant  :-X :-X

That's why I always suggest to newer or more timid colleagues to use a rep....they've got the ability, experience and knowledge to stop any wrongdoing in its tracks.
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

trolleyboy96

• Know All
« Reply #185 on: 05-08-18, 09:23AM »
That’s outrageous...

The staff search process is actually in the book, shoes yes, fleece, bodywarmer yes but any further no way!!

Something is clearly wrong, I had to correct a colleague the other week who started to look through a bus pass out on the desk had to remind managers can’t touch but can request it to be opened and emptied if needed.

forrestgimp

• VLH Supporter
  • Smart Arse
  • Cant wait to retire when I am 110
« Reply #186 on: 05-08-18, 10:18AM »

My underlining.

Down to pants etc must at the least be a dignity at work issue.

You have said that twice now. I havent read the entire thread but has someone actually been forced to remove clothing down to their underwear for a staff search because thats assault at the very least and sexual assault most probably. My first port of call would be the police station.

Nomad

• Administrator
  • Sad Muppet
  • Who dares, wins.
« Reply #187 on: 05-08-18, 01:12PM »
@forrestgimp

Terri, have I got this right you could be left standing in your 'smalls' ? as uniforms replace most personal garments.
Yes.  Although its in a 'private' room with managers of the same gender, there is a window in the door and other staff can see in when they walk past. 
Nomad ( Forum Admin )
It's better to be up in arms than down on your knees.

notsofunny

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #188 on: 05-08-18, 04:15PM »
No problem, Section 5 of the latest search policy has the following;

"If you wear a turban, hijab (headscarf) or niqab (face veil),
we will only request that you remove these when there are
reasonable grounds for us to do so. You will be able to
remove these items in a private area. If you are removing
a turban, then a mirror will also be provided. In cases
where a headscarf or face veil has been asked to be
removed, this should only be done in the presence of a
female colleague(s)."
We do not employ anyone that wears a Niqab so thats out  8-),, and why included a niqab when they could have on burka ,or any one of the other5/6/7/8 .........other types of head covering including scarfs which you have discrobed as a  hijab which it is not ??? ,  All they should have said is that any type of head covering with out naming  types ,

Then what you have printed does not allow for any women to have a sherch done by women only , any of the said ladys would not remove said item with men around ,

As to the Turban ,has anyone seen what is warn under the Turban ? and since that is not listed then they dont have to remove that  ??? and again someone that has said item on will not remove it Unless forced to do so , and then only if no women are around ,

By the way why is a mirror not provided for the ladys ? and what if i was Jewish and had a  Yamakha on  ???

who ever put this policy together needs to be fired and not paid the huge ££££££££££££££££ they must be paid

Duracell

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #189 on: 05-08-18, 05:34PM »
@Duracell

Indeed, protector line is an option, but as the poster stated she didn't want to cause trouble, and we all know the usual way protector line works ???

The are some exceptions but it usually goes.......ring protector line.....they make notes and email to store the complaint.....SM kicks off......the managers single out the complainant  :-X :-X

That's why I always suggest to newer or more timid colleagues to use a rep....they've got the ability, experience and knowledge to stop any wrongdoing in its tracks.

I understand your point, but it is my opinion that such a request and more to the point BEHAVIOUR in the workplace warrants immediate escalation jumping a lengthy process.

I would even be willing to do it on behalf of a collegue, I feel that strongly about it, I wouldn’t hesitate to give my full details either, I would use such words as “Sexual Predator”  “Lude requests” and that if the individual wasn’t dealt with appropriately the police would be informed and charges against the individual would be sought.

As for what people think of how effective the protector line is, I understand it’s potential failings and the ramifications and persecution that could follow as a result.

But really it ain’t going to happen in the scenario being discussed and anyone being obstructive would have it large.
I would even as a fallback email Dave Lewis and Tell Him that I have escalated it to the protector line as “Process wouldn’t be able to resolve the issue quick enough with the Clarity it Desrves, and I would expect a communication to every location Stipulating that A request to undress down to underwear MUST not under any circumstance be made by Company Staff or Security Staff, and to do so will result in Disciplinary Action which could Ulimately Mean Summary Dismissal.

Serious Serious Abuse of Postion. Must Not and will not be Tolerated.

Get your phone out and voice record or video record the request, Ask them to repeat the request whilst recording them, video is best... and watch the colour drain from their face. I’ll Bet a years wages they don’t say it again.

And just for clarity being asked to strip down to your underwear as part of the Random Search Policy is so searious and such a disgusting invasive breach ( more to the point, USE ) of company policy it warrants being recorded.
« Last Edit: 05-08-18, 05:42PM by Duracell »
My Opinion is exactly that, Mine.  Based on my view of what I know , see and what I would do.
"Being a rep doesn't make a person right anymore than not being a rep makes a person wrong " 

Duracell.

notsofunny

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #190 on: 05-08-18, 05:46PM »

very very well said  :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

forrestgimp

• VLH Supporter
  • Smart Arse
  • Cant wait to retire when I am 110
« Reply #191 on: 05-08-18, 07:18PM »
@forrestgimp

Terri, have I got this right you could be left standing in your 'smalls' ? as uniforms replace most personal garments.
Yes.  Although its in a 'private' room with managers of the same gender, there is a window in the door and other staff can see in when they walk past. 

Wow, Whoever that is needs to inform the police.

The more I think about it the more disgusted I get. This needs reporting the managers responsible need sacking its super serious.
« Last Edit: 05-08-18, 07:21PM by forrestgimp »

Adywebb

• VLH Supporter
« Reply #192 on: 05-08-18, 10:55PM »
Absolutely - its a massive no-no!!

Preacherpauly

• VLH Supporter
« Reply #193 on: 10-08-18, 09:38PM »

LOL

Seriously you and your colleagues can't be this stupid.

If I was new and they told me to strip down in a room where anyone could see walking past I would be asking some serious questions before telling them to go f*** themselves.

Do your managers get searched and asked to strip down to their underwear?

Terri

« Reply #194 on: 12-08-18, 12:05AM »

LOL

Seriously you and your colleagues can't be this stupid.

If I was new and they told me to strip down in a room where anyone could see walking past I would be asking some serious questions before telling them to go f*** themselves.

Do your managers get searched and asked to strip down to their underwear?

Look. I've been out of work for over two years. I took a job knowing about random searches. I'm not going to argue. I got involved in a random search, had to strip down to just my knickers, I'm still not going to argue. I hear what you're saying, but look at it from my point of view!

Terri

« Reply #195 on: 12-08-18, 12:28AM »
There's also other girls there, with after school /after college jobs, just evening staff, who've been seared - by a female manager but still a male security guard present - down to their knickers. Is this right?

helpme

• VLH Supporter
  • Know All
« Reply #196 on: 12-08-18, 12:51AM »
You cannot be told to strip to be searched. If they tell you to do so tell them to p**s off as they are breaking the law.
If the police cannot do it what on earth makes you think Tesco managers/security have so special right to do so?

Terri

« Reply #197 on: 12-08-18, 01:55AM »
You cannot be told to strip to be searched. If they tell you to do so tell them to p**s off as they are breaking the law.
If the police cannot do it what on earth makes you think Tesco managers/security have so special right to do so?

Not stripped. We're told to remove our outer clothing. They tell us this means our uniform, and they tell us they're entitled to ask us to remove it as it is their property

Iron Giant

• VLH Supporter
  • Regular Pain
« Reply #198 on: 12-08-18, 09:17AM »
Please, please, please tell me your going to heed the advice on here and put a stop to this  (-*-). If nothing else take a rep in during the next search at the very least.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.

helpme

• VLH Supporter
  • Know All
« Reply #199 on: 12-08-18, 10:24AM »

Not stripped. We're told to remove our outer clothing. They tell us this means our uniform, and they tell us they're entitled to ask us to remove it as it is their property
Firstly you need to phone the protector line and then you need to go to the local police station and file a report of indecent behaviour!
It maybe tesco property but it doesn't mean they can make you remove it. If it's something the police are not allowed to do what right do managers have to do it. Report it to the police!