Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
22-03-19, 07:50AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 58767
  • Total Topics: 1087
  • Online Today: 152
  • Online Ever: 826
  • (23-02-15, 06:44PM)
Users Online

Author Topic: Night closure  (Read 121200 times)

the rule book

• Know All
Re: Night closure
« Reply #275 on: 30-01-16, 01:45AM »
Has anything been mentioned on the issue of industrial action?

As premuims and hourly rates are changing and the possibility of reduncy looms.

Why has no one thought of a mass walk out by all staff .

Sidewinder

« Reply #276 on: 30-01-16, 01:57AM »
They keep taking the privileges away as a barter for the pay rise and the living wage. But  M&S who pay their staff not a great deal less per hour than us, give their staff 20% discount, and I believe Boots is 25% staff discount?

Margins. Pure and simple. M&S are less susceptible to the growth of competition and grocery is secondary to their core business - the higher GM margins generate the profit. Boots similarly are much better able to control margins. Businesses operating at higher margins can afford to lose more of that margin when calculating staff discounts (and other benefits)

T*sco operate at the lower end of pricing, being reliant on grocery where margins are skinny to non-existent in order to compete. Analysts suggest that the influence of the change in customer habits and the increase in competition at the more price-conscious end of the market has caused our trading margins to fall to around 0.5%. The huge footfall previously allowed Tesco to operate at a higher grocery margin and to add GM purchases as the cream on top, but with numbers falling, so does trading margin. Customers through the door is the only way to maintain or increase that margin.

red devil

« Reply #277 on: 30-01-16, 04:50AM »
After reading this thread I have thought about just how is it possible to have a twilight fill. So many things can go wrong.
Aldi and lidl do manage to fill during the day as one person mentioned on here. Aldi are now hireing night staff at my local store.

As for failsworth how is it a trial?

The staff are having contractual changes to there working hours , they are in consultation. That is not a trial by any means

If the big T wanted a trial they would try it for 6 weeks and see how it went. So I think we can establishe with some common sense failsworth store is no trial.

It's a blueprint for the 76 others possibly.
I think the fact that all the night staff have been issued with redundancy estimates kind of leads you to believe this is no trial.estimates that have been massively mis-calculated I might add.
2.5k under in one case would you believe .

terrybigballs

• Know All
« Reply #278 on: 30-01-16, 05:13AM »
In my opinion the trial was done in Ireland last year, whether it rolls out fully in Britain is another thing. Lets not forget he has a 5 year plan , managing decline bit by bit , so next year he will looking to cot something else. The bigger cost savings will come last , divide and conquer and all that.

http://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/supermarket-giant-tesco-makes-350-4944286
« Last Edit: 30-01-16, 05:19AM by terrybigballs »

ilikeabeer

« Reply #279 on: 30-01-16, 08:33AM »
Just announced on the BBC news that 76 or 1 in five stores to cease 24 hour opening but will have little  impact on employees?

pete6872

« Reply #280 on: 30-01-16, 09:44AM »
Has anything been mentioned on the issue of industrial action?

As premuims and hourly rates are changing and the possibility of reduncy looms.

Why has no one thought of a mass walk out by all staff .
the reason is mate no one will do it
in my store on night ever peed off but when you ask then to work to rule no one will
the union is s*** but we have to remember the union is only as strong as the work force

Nomad

• Administrator
  • Sad Muppet
  • Who dares, wins.
« Reply #281 on: 30-01-16, 10:07AM »
Administrator Comment As there are lists to be seen in many places any further lists on VLH of stores to stop 24 hr trading will be deleted.
Nomad ( Forum Admin )
It's better to be up in arms than down on your knees.

outofsight

« Reply #282 on: 30-01-16, 10:43AM »
At least by not being open 24 hours staff wont have to worry about drunks,people shopping a silly o'clock and letting very small children run riot.
Another competitor is looking at getting rid of premiums across the board and just to top it off lose 15 minutes break as well.
No industrial action can be taken as usdaw i believe have a non striking clause in the partnership agreement, so we are like the armed forces and police well and truly shafted.

smithwally

« Reply #283 on: 30-01-16, 11:04AM »
Administrator Comment Please do not quote immediately prior post(s).

Which competitor would this be? Asda by any chance?

phillips

« Reply #284 on: 30-01-16, 01:11PM »
Morrisons.Part of new pay deal if they accept new hourly rate that makes up for loss if premiums-breaks etc

the rule book

• Know All
« Reply #285 on: 30-01-16, 02:23PM »
OK so 5 until 12 is going to be the new shift I think we know they decided this is the way.
So what will be offered?
Same days?
Same contracts just a time change?
Same expectations of filling?

I think I could live with the 5 till 12 shift as long as its the same days. As I expect when
 the crew utterly fail to get the stock out for 12 we will all be back on nights.

cosmosmallpiece

• VLH Supporter
  • Know All
« Reply #286 on: 30-01-16, 02:53PM »
 The rule book sorry to hear about your store .So if you have been told your hour's are changing has your night premium 2 been protected?

bambi

« Reply #287 on: 30-01-16, 05:51PM »
Don't understand? If the night teams hours are staying relatively unchanged, why are they closing the store overnight? What difference does it make if the reason for closing the store is cost cutting due to lack of customers?? The heating (occasionally working) and lights will still have to be kept on?? Confused.com??

Security and whoever manned self service? I'm fairly sure some on the list probably took less than those two wages for a night!

Surprised our store isn't on the list although head office seem to treat us well in the restructure last year we didn't lose one manager as we were deemed 'too big' for that so just lost all the team leaders.
« Last Edit: 30-01-16, 05:55PM by bambi »

beerbaron

« Reply #288 on: 31-01-16, 03:33PM »
Seen this list and we're not on it but would of preferred to be closed whilst we filled. Like a lot of people just waiting for the pay review etc which I think we'll hear about on Tuesday before start of shift. Meeting normally undertaken  by a smug personnel manager which to this day I wonder what he/she do for their wages.

fatyeti

« Reply #289 on: 31-01-16, 04:57PM »
Back in the early nineties they got rid of most of the night crews and replaced them with twilight's. Didn't work out too well and within a couple of years they went back to night crews again.

nightnight

« Reply #290 on: 31-01-16, 05:11PM »
What offers were made to the night checkout staff affected by midnight closures ?

nightcat

« Reply #291 on: 31-01-16, 05:59PM »
The SM at our store has agreed that on the nights we are not working we can sit outside the
store entrance with a begging bowl and hope some kind customers throw a few coppers our
way. We will then divvy up the money to cover our lost premiums. I was going to dress as a
tramp, but a colleague said "Just wear your uniform, nobody will spot the difference!"
 (-*-) (-*-) (-*-)

Hammer10

• Smart Arse
« Reply #292 on: 31-01-16, 06:38PM »
 >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(say no more.

Smilergirl

« Reply #293 on: 01-02-16, 03:39AM »
Hi I am one of the members of staff that is affected in the night closure? My question is if any body can help is .. After my 45 day consultation is it right I then have to stay and work 4week notice forcing me to endure nearly 3 mths of sheer hell in this place???

red devil

« Reply #294 on: 01-02-16, 04:14AM »
What offers were made to the night checkout staff affected by midnight closures ?
Apply for internal vacancy on days with 2yr lump sum payment of night premiums
Transfer to another store if they have a vacancy
Redundancy

backlash

• Regular Pain
« Reply #295 on: 01-02-16, 04:57AM »
I would gladly take redundancy from the company at the moment. And I'm not even a double bubbler, I just want out of all this BS.

the rule book

• Know All
« Reply #296 on: 01-02-16, 07:01AM »
So first they destroy our brilliant pension & now they take away our double time for Sundays & Bank Holidays , it will never come back , I used to get a premium for working a Saturday & still resent Saturdays because I lost it ,  I work three Sundays a month & every Bank Holiday - this is a 25% pay cut , as soon as this in effect I  will no longer work  Sundays or Bank Holidays , I will no longer work overtime for just time either I will now stop investing in the Saye Tesco shares scheme & invest else where instead , I feel utterly betrayed not only by Dave Lewis but by the Union too - over thirty years service for Tesco & over Thirty two years with USDAW ( Iwas at MothersPride before Tesco ) Usdaw are useless - why was we not consulted ? How dare they do this behind our backs - they said Double time would never be taken from the staff that already had it !!! I am going to quit the Union , never see them anyway - Useless !

nightcat

« Reply #297 on: 01-02-16, 08:31AM »
Totally agree. We are going back to Victorian times! Why don't they just change
the name above the door and put Workhouse!

nightnight

« Reply #298 on: 01-02-16, 08:36AM »
Thanks red devil. Our store not in this round of midnight closures but  hoping it's in q2 ' I would defiantly take redundancy.

red devil

« Reply #299 on: 01-02-16, 08:49AM »
If the sd and group pm turn up one night around 930/945pm then you know it's going to happen! If it does keep your eye on the redundancy estimates some of them that have been handed out at our place are a mile out.