Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
23-03-19, 04:08AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 7410
  • Latest: Rosco62
Stats
  • Total Posts: 58797
  • Total Topics: 1088
  • Online Today: 123
  • Online Ever: 826
  • (23-02-15, 06:44PM)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 99
Total: 102

Author Topic: Department over hours  (Read 3639 times)

Justme23

Department over hours
« on: 01-05-17, 08:42PM »
Can anyone tell me what the correct process is for a department that is over hours?

TIA

Shafted

• Know All
Re: Department over hours
« Reply #1 on: 01-05-17, 08:49PM »
In what respect? Process for moving hours? RHRP ( right  hours right place )

Justme23

« Reply #2 on: 01-05-17, 09:16PM »
Yh for RHRP.

We were told the department was well over hours and they needed to be dropped. First thing that happened was availability meetings to see if anyone matched vacancies on other departments.  Now they are just doing meetings telling you whether you have been selected to stay on the department or not.  Im sure this is not the right process.  I thought if it affected the whole department a consultation should be held.

bruke

« Reply #3 on: 01-05-17, 09:49PM »
don't know if it's the same, but my express store has to lose 20 odd hours how do they go about that? We had to fill out some form about changing hours I of course said no.

madness

• Know All
« Reply #4 on: 01-05-17, 10:39PM »
No department is ever over hours. The company keep adding routines and c**p to do and then think how can we save money. Oh your department is over. They want service and 6 million types of shitty meetings that no-one cares about while cutting costs.

tumshie

• Global Moderator
  • Sad Muppet
  • life is not a rehearsal
« Reply #5 on: 02-05-17, 02:36AM »
Here's a link to the VLH Wiki entry on RHRP and Moving People Around the Business :

http://www.verylittlehelps.com/wiki/index.php?title=Right_Hours_Right_Place

Justme23

« Reply #6 on: 02-05-17, 08:16AM »
Unfortunately the link isnt working.

Welshie

• VLH Supporter
  • Know All
« Reply #7 on: 02-05-17, 08:30AM »
Link worked for me but unfortunately if my recent experiences are anything to go by,  tosco policy is irrelevant and the will lie , bully and harass you to move if they have decided you're moving . I have been fighting them for many months and I'm shocked at how low they will sink but 7 months later they still refuse to put me into consultation which leads me to believe they have no right to move me . If you don't want to move fight your corner but be prepared for a very stressful few months , if you don't mind moving save yourself the stress . Good luck whatever you decide

tumshie

• Global Moderator
  • Sad Muppet
  • life is not a rehearsal
« Reply #8 on: 02-05-17, 09:25AM »
The link should work for you, if you are a VLH supporter.

If it still doesn't work, report it so Nomad (VLH overlord) can check it out.

Nomad

• Administrator
  • Sad Muppet
  • Who dares, wins.
« Reply #9 on: 02-05-17, 09:42AM »
On the Home page under the VLHWiki link it explains we are having a problem with VLHWiki granting access to those who recently became supporters.  We are looking for the solution which appears to be connected to some incompatibility created during a software update, we apologize for the problem.
Nomad ( Forum Admin )
It's better to be up in arms than down on your knees.

Redshoes

• Know All
« Reply #10 on: 02-05-17, 10:40AM »
Ask how many other Depts are over hours, then ask what Depts are under hours.  It will also make a difference regarding how big the dept is. For instance being 20 hours over at checkouts is not the same percentage over as being 20 hours over in wages. Generally checkouts has the biggest head count in stores and wages tends to be just one or at most two.
I have also known a compliance manager get figures wrong. For instance the cash office is over hours by 7 hours a week but for one hour a day they do the change run and therefore those hours 7 hours are checkout hours. I knew of one compliance manager who once said that a depot was over hours by more hours than they actually had. This happens in stores where they are over generally, with the store being over. It is hard to believe we have stores over hours but we do have them, I know of a few.

OvaSees

• Smart Arse
« Reply #11 on: 02-05-17, 11:11AM »
There's something you are all missing - there probably isn't a department in any store in the company that is genuinely 'over' hours. What's happening is they are increasingly becoming mathematically over hours, and that's a big difference. It depends on your target (budget) PI.

For a department to run properly, complete all routines, deliver company defined standards, deliver results expected including budgeted sales, then the operating model says it therefore needs 100% of the man hours that have been measured as being required to do all of that. Thus, your budget PI would be 100, meaning you get all of your 'allowed hours'.

The problem is, Tesco can't afford that. Yes, it cannot afford to give every department in every store every hour it needs to do what the company says it must do. Crazy but true. So to manage this it moves the goalposts and says 'well, you have to run at 106 PI - 6% undermanned - and still deliver'. Because this is all it can afford to pay. This explains why a department I was working on was consistently 'understaffed' and suddenly one day was told it was 64 hours overstaffed even though we were taking more money and had taken on no staff.

So, unless you are running at 100 PI and are using more than your allowed hours, you are not overmanned - you are underfunded. Push that back to your Compliance Manager - it's their job to support that through the heat map which gives you the hours (thus tools) you need to do your job. If the expectation is that you are 'over' hours because your budget PI has been increased above 100, then the question is 'which elements of the job and routines are no longer to be done to the appropriate standards, given that they are no longer being funded?' or 'which KPI targets will be reduced accordingly given that my department is no longer funded to deliver at that level of expectation?'.

SMs and CMs get away with making departments run on less hours than are required because they know other managers are invariably in the dark and don't have the kind of knowledge that has been their premise for a long time. If the business says it can't afford your deprtment, that's not your problem - it's their problem to get you the funding you need, and if they can't then they have to agree what will be compromised.
« Last Edit: 02-05-17, 11:15AM by OvaSees »

happygirl

• Know All
« Reply #12 on: 02-05-17, 11:32AM »
Thanks ovasees. Maybe a question for your store forums coming up 😁

Aussieboy

• VLH Supporter
« Reply #13 on: 02-05-17, 03:12PM »
The link should work for you, if you are a VLH supporter.

If it still doesn't work, report it so Nomad (VLH overlord) can check it out.

It does not work for me using iPad I can't open a lot of links

Thevamps

« Reply #14 on: 02-05-17, 04:29PM »
What happens if your to many hours on one night shift,the staff make it blatantly obvious they've nothing to do walking round talking and on another night there is no cover for the dept Is it needs of the business because I would assume so.

Cuddlypup

• Regular Pain
« Reply #15 on: 02-05-17, 05:11PM »
It's a shambles in our store. Whole store over hours, though god knows how. Our clueless manager is letting people drop whatever shifts they want resulting in loads of staff working the quiet days and 1 person left on their own the two busiest days!! He doesn't care and never gets his hands dirty. But we shouldn't worry because we can still manage a table full of managers all on lunch together 😡 I actually think if Dave Lewis actually knew how badly the stores are run he would be horrified, but I could be wrong.

Equalizer87

• Sad Muppet
« Reply #16 on: 02-05-17, 06:19PM »
I don't think DL cares how badly stores are run. He just wants to see more and more savings to show a "profit" then get out with his over inflated bank balance.

I've seen the cost cutting in so many stores recently and it just isn't working. And yet he is charging headlong into his Bookers deal at all costs.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"

Mr Grumpy

• Know All
  • I'd rather die on my feet than live on my knees ..
« Reply #17 on: 02-05-17, 06:35PM »
I would recommend getting out as fast as you can from the big T juggernaut. Once any department starts cutting hours, they will contine cutting bit by bit every time the new heat map is released.

So even if you escape it this time, further down the line Drastic and his cronies will  continue to reduce whatever hours your departments "new" amount of hours are.

Equalizer87

• Sad Muppet
« Reply #18 on: 02-05-17, 06:40PM »
Totally agree  :thumbup: :thumbup:
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"

GreenGrocer

• Sad Muppet
« Reply #19 on: 02-05-17, 08:00PM »
Departments seem under hours because alot of managers do not do a bit.

Our old Nightshift Lead did an aisle by himself most nights as did the LMs when he was in charge.

The holiday book still got done etc and it meant the GAs weren't overworked like now.