Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
26-03-19, 12:10AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 58911
  • Total Topics: 1091
  • Online Today: 139
  • Online Ever: 826
  • (23-02-15, 06:44PM)
Users Online

Author Topic: Is the grass greener?  (Read 10661 times)

flour technician

Re: Is the grass greener?
« Reply #50 on: 04-01-16, 08:12PM »
I left back in May after 32 years in the Bakery. I was really unsure that id made the right decision. I applied for loads of jobs and eventually decided on training to be a bus driver. Totally different as to hours and working on your own but i enjoyed it. I did miss Tesco and after a few weeks began to question my decision. After 3 months id had enough and was working far more hours than at Tesco. Something i didn't leave for. So began looking again for another job. Then in October i found a craft bakers job. Absolutely love it. Hours Pay Staff. I tell them about tesco and they cannot understand how tesco treat staff. So the moral of this story is there is something out there for everyone. You just have to persevere and believe in yourself.

madness

• Know All
« Reply #51 on: 05-01-16, 12:20AM »
My interview is with one of the discounters  :P
Better hope you get a store with an old school manager (most of which have left) as if you think tesco is hard on you wait till you get to aldi or lidl!

Equalizer87

• Sad Muppet
« Reply #52 on: 05-01-16, 01:19AM »
At least it will pay more than Tesco, hard work is no problem but a fair wage is all people want.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"

Tegai

• Know All
« Reply #53 on: 10-02-16, 02:23PM »

JimmySaville

« Reply #54 on: 12-02-16, 02:06PM »
If you could swop Your contract from Tesco to another retailer with the same terms and conditions would you? and if so which would you choose?

It actually IS greener if you get lucky. Of course the big 4 supermarkets are most likely just as bad as each other but the rest of them are worth a shot. Im now with a large supermarket chain, that too does superstores and local stores, but does not answer to shareholders sitting in ivory towers. Its a pleasure to work for so far.

nightsboy

• Regular Pain
« Reply #55 on: 12-02-16, 04:41PM »
does your name give away as to what supermarket u now work for lol

StinkyPoo

• VLH Supporter
  • Regular Pain
« Reply #56 on: 12-02-16, 05:09PM »
Don't recommend Lidl as a place to work! Worked there for 5 years before joining the big T many years ago. Working conditions awful, often the only person there. Going in early, working delivery, opening up, being on the checkout, cleaning after closing time. T may be going down the pan but more bearable than Lidl in my opinion.

Happy Days

« Reply #57 on: 12-02-16, 06:36PM »
Tesco is without doubt the worst company i have ever worked for. Did not know how bad it was until i joined. Such a pity. :'(

part of the problem

• Regular Pain
« Reply #58 on: 12-02-16, 08:52PM »
From my research and talking to people who work for them the discounters have a higher ratio of managers to staff than Tesco just they have to graft alongside the customer assistants. If u include the store manager (full time),usually 2 assistant store managers(full time) and then 2 or 3 duty managers who just get a premium for hours they look after the shop without store or ass store manager in the building(part time). Bearing in mind a store taking 100k would have under 20 staff including managers, ga's even the cleaner which makes it the structure 25% managers minimum.I don't think the number of managers is the issue in Tesco its what they do. The discounters managers used to work crazy hours but  Lidl managers are encouraged to do their contracted hours where possible and they have to take their time back if they work over. Scary when you think a big Tesco extras dot com operation would take 100k plus but what hours/staff do they use just to pick and deliver the goods which doesn't include filling stock and then add van expenses  :o :o. No wonder Tesco cant compete on price.

Antibullying

« Reply #59 on: 28-02-19, 11:12PM »
Hi , could anyone help me , there’s a union rep at my department who is a bully and has breached confidentiality and made threats of violence, which has led to staff leaving . I’ve written to Usdaw in Glasgow and the senior there is not taking this as a matter of urgency. A lady who got bullied on my department by this individual has been that low threatened to take her life . Now in this day and age , policy and procedures at Tesco should be upheld , but in this case there allowing a union rep to bully , this individual was also investigated by confidential. Is it going to take a colleague to literally take there life for action to be taken .
This individual is using the position of repping to intimidate and bully and make threats , so why isn’t anyone taking this seriously.

lucgeo

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #60 on: 01-03-19, 06:18AM »
It's not really down to the union head office to intervene, it is your tesco managers who should be dealing with it,  and an USDAW area organiser will be required to rep the rep if a grievance is placed.....which leads me to the question as to why a grievance has not been placed against this individual if, as you say, their bullying is rife amongst your colleagues, then a group grievance is what should be done. The more who complain and are willing to back up the complaints in a group, then the more serious it will be. Just because this person is a rep, does not make them Teflon coated, they will be treated the same as any colleague, I have seen a few disciplined and one dismissed, all repped by their AO, but that didn't save them as the rules are the rules for everyone.
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

NightAndDay

« Reply #61 on: 01-03-19, 03:42PM »
Even if we stay in the retail world focused on supermarkets, Tesco pays 3rd from the bottom and the least out of the big 4 in terms of base pay.  In convenience format stores, Tesco are the only ones who have a role which entails managerial responsibilities to be paid at an hourly rate under the title "Shift Leader" (the distinction between leader and manager is significant as when "manager" appears in a job title, a salary is commensurate with it.) Their competitors in similar roles have manager in the title (Sainsburies wt least has Customer Trading Managers, they're paid between 22-24k a year compared to a shift leaders £10.29 an hour).

Plus with Tesco making all these cuts and the wide spread speculation that Dave Lewis doesn't know what he's doing in the long term, the future of Tesco isn't great. 

As for myself i've moved on from the retail world into a position where i'm trusted with the national economy and infrastructure. Suffice to say the money is a lot better as well as the working conditions and treatment.

But yes,  in Retail It seems apart from Iceland and the Co-op anywhere is better than Tesco with regards to pay and anywhere is better than Tesco with regards to  work environment. Tesco as a field is a barren land, so the grass is greener pretty much anywhere else.