Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
22-03-19, 11:52AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 58774
  • Total Topics: 1087
  • Online Today: 198
  • Online Ever: 826
  • (23-02-15, 06:44PM)
Users Online

Author Topic: Is the grass greener?  (Read 10629 times)

lucgeo

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
Re: Is the grass greener?
« Reply #25 on: 18-12-15, 10:03PM »
The Tesco Christmas adverts just emphasise how out of the loop Tesco have become! All the other big supermarkets have dropped the celebrities and used either their " own staff" or just voice overs. I actually cringe watching them, especially as the alleged comedy in it mirrors the pathetic attempt at fun days in store   :(

Tesco hierarchy need to seriously stop p**sing about trying to get stressed overworked staff, to dress up for the latest celebratory event and get back to being the envied top dog retailer It once was.

If one more manager tries to shove another Christmas t shirt under my nose commenting on my lack of festive cheer  >:(  Informed one manager today that I would go on my uniform site this evening and order myself a couple of Christmas jumpers  :D :D

Get rid of the PM's who are overpaid and have no input into the business whatsoever, ours has an unhealthy obsession with laminating everything :o

« Last Edit: 18-12-15, 10:07PM by lucgeo »
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

SensibleSid

• Know All
  • Tesco... where nobody hears you scream
« Reply #26 on: 18-12-15, 11:11PM »
The adverts are dire!
All the other grocery retailers show actual products and make them look tempting. The Tesco adverts merely put over the idea that no one knows"what's a gluten free?" or that a teenager mght buy a packet of sliced turkey instead of a whole bird or Crown.
Yet more money wasted on re-enforcing the image of a trashy brand.

Nomad

• Administrator
  • Sad Muppet
  • Who dares, wins.
« Reply #27 on: 19-12-15, 09:37AM »
I have to admit that the message I get from the advertisements is that it helps to be an idiot if you want to shop at Tesco.
Nomad ( Forum Admin )
It's better to be up in arms than down on your knees.

Blondie1981

« Reply #28 on: 19-12-15, 09:43AM »
I have often felt that the younger character in the ads is destined for options ..........ideal Manager for the |Big T ...would fit in well. :) :)

lucgeo

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #29 on: 19-12-15, 08:36PM »
Spooky Blondie1981

That moron young bloke actually does remind me of a manager we had who has moved to senior team elsewhere. He's doing very well in the establishment apparently  :question:

Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

valueluncheomeat

« Reply #30 on: 01-01-16, 08:43PM »
Hi everyone, just logged on to say a wholehearted yes, I managed to secure another job after 16 years with Tesco.  This was as a SM and TL.  My Tesco TL role was unaffected by the restructure last year.  I had been considering jumping ship for a few years but nothing suitable had cropped up.  When the new job description and structure was announced I was utterly determined to leave.  I would have taken a step down to GA if it had been offered. 

Anyway, the long  and short is, I love my new job.  It is for a premier food retailer, I  was so desperate to leave I took a temporary contract and a 30% pay cut.  I opted out of Sunday working! The full time shifts are only eight hours long with half an hour break! I was quickly offered promotion and a pay rise and they seem to like and respect me.  20% staff discount.  Everyone (incl store manager) clocks out and walks out of the store after the allotted eight hours.   The work is very hard and customers very demanding.

So, yes, the grass is greener, I took a leap of faith and proved there is still happiness to be
found at work.

valueluncheomeat

« Reply #31 on: 01-01-16, 08:53PM »
Sorry, forgot to say that temp contract was only for a month but was then made permanent.   

The Tesco Christmas advert was cringeworthy.

silverbackache

• Know All
« Reply #32 on: 01-01-16, 09:15PM »
I too left last year just as the reorganisation was going through.
I now work set hours on a higher rate of pay and even get my birthday off as an ADDITIONAL days off.
If I do something over what is contracted I am thanked  by a director and feel valued.
I also finished work on Christmas Eve and don't go back till Monday.
There are lots of jobs now outwith retail and far better than my years at big T.

Equalizer87

• Sad Muppet
« Reply #33 on: 02-01-16, 05:23AM »
It certainly is greener on the other side.When I have told people of how Tesco run and treat their staff, they are horrified. I am earning more now than at Tesco (although changed sector) and the job is far more rewarding in satisfaction and work/life balance.

My advce, is get out of Tesco ASAP.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"

slungmyhoook

« Reply #34 on: 02-01-16, 09:19AM »
It is a terrible company to work for. People at my new employer look in horror when I tell them stories about how the SRGM would come into the store in a fit of rage and would then start berating the duty manager or staff for various things.
1)A missing label would cause him to shout and ball about "Retail is detail" and then berate the manager for not spotting the label. I remember him telling me that missing labels lead to red reviews!
2)He would go ape if he seen a member of staff talking to anyone. One member of staff was talking to a customer. He didn't believe it was a real customer and thought it was a friend so went and told the member of staff to get on with their work and told the customer that the staff member didn't get paid to stand around talking. The reality was that it was a little old lady who came into the store daily as she didn't have anyone else to speak to. He couldn't give a hoot.
3)He would go through the staff sick calls one by one at team 5 and would make a public determination as to whether he thought they were genuine. He had no compassion for anyones situation or illness.
4)He would get so angry about minor things. I have seen staff shaking with fear because of the way he reacts over trivia.

Gladly I got out of the place. I sent a dossier to the protector line when I left including mobile phone footage of a number of his outbursts but he is still there doing the same things. Tesco is a hopeless company, destined for long term failure and eventually it will go like woolworths and go bust if they keep employing these idiots.

Equalizer87

• Sad Muppet
« Reply #35 on: 02-01-16, 09:43AM »
It is a terrible company to work for. People at my new employer look in horror when I tell them stories about how the SRGM would come into the store in a fit of rage and would then start berating the duty manager or staff for various things.
1)A missing label would cause him to shout and ball about "Retail is detail" and then berate the manager for not spotting the label. I remember him telling me that missing labels lead to red reviews!
2)He would go ape if he seen a member of staff talking to anyone. One member of staff was talking to a customer. He didn't believe it was a real customer and thought it was a friend so went and told the member of staff to get on with their work and told the customer that the staff member didn't get paid to stand around talking. The reality was that it was a little old lady who came into the store daily as she didn't have anyone else to speak to. He couldn't give a hoot.
3)He would go through the staff sick calls one by one at team 5 and would make a public determination as to whether he thought they were genuine. He had no compassion for anyones situation or illness.
4)He would get so angry about minor things. I have seen staff shaking with fear because of the way he reacts over trivia.

Gladly I got out of the place. I sent a dossier to the protector line when I left including mobile phone footage of a number of his outbursts but he is still there doing the same things. Tesco is a hopeless company, destined for long term failure and eventually it will go like woolworths and go bust if they keep employing these idiots.

Had a store manager exactly like this in the Metro I worked in, actually swore at staff on the shopfloor in front of customers too.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"

nightslave101

• Regular Pain
« Reply #36 on: 02-01-16, 09:48AM »
There are worse jobs out there, but there are also far far better.

One thing that sticks with me from my time at Tesco was the bullying culture that exists, the way some of the managers spoke to and treated their staff was disgusting. So arrogant and an air of I'm better than everyone else about them.

There were some lovely managers too but sadly a lot of bad ones that seemed to get to stay in their roles despite either being useless or a control freak or both!

My advice would be to get out, even if it takes you a few years to learn a new skill or trade. Ask yourself the question, do you want to be working for Tesco doing what you do now in 5 years time?

slungmyhoook

« Reply #37 on: 02-01-16, 09:57AM »
Couldn't agree more nightslave. Do it before it is too late. If you know your worth and have something about you then you are wasted in the Mcdonalds of Retail.

Equalizer87

• Sad Muppet
« Reply #38 on: 02-01-16, 10:00AM »
Slungmyhook

Exactly the way to look at it, know your worth and get out of Dodge. The storm is coming.

part of the problem

• Regular Pain
« Reply #39 on: 02-01-16, 12:28PM »
I have applied elsewhere and have a date for first stage interview  :thumbup:

Equalizer87

• Sad Muppet
« Reply #40 on: 02-01-16, 12:37PM »
@partoftheproblem

Good Luck :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

silverbackache

• Know All
« Reply #41 on: 02-01-16, 12:40PM »
Good luck from me too, i hope you get a job like mine where i look forward to going in to work.

Tesco bird

• Know All
« Reply #42 on: 02-01-16, 05:05PM »
I left a few months ago for another supermarket and I feel like the weight has been lifted off my shoulders. I'm treated with respect and thanked for doing my job. Fantastic managers and staff it's like a different world. There is life after tesco you just got to believe that you deserve better. Tesco even asked recently if I wanted to come back. I would rather take a bullet. Obviously the grass isn't always greener but believe me you will eventually find something and feel better.

valueluncheomeat

« Reply #43 on: 02-01-16, 08:09PM »
My mental health is so much better since I left.  The constant negativity and draining atmosphere of my store was unbearable.  I felt as if a huge weight had been lifted the minute I walked out of the store.  Also,  I felt as if I had a lot to prove in my new job because of my Tesco employment and their reputation.  The prospect of staying there for 25 more years made me determined to move on.  Of course I miss a handful of colleagues and a few customers but they were pleased and envious that I had a new opportunity and a chance to escape the drudgery.

nightslave101

• Regular Pain
« Reply #44 on: 02-01-16, 10:39PM »
Out of interest Tesco Bird which supermarket did you go to if you don't mind me asking? Quite interesting to hear how the others operate in regards to management and they way the staff are treat. OK I'm sure they'll have their problems like most places do but I also felt such relief after leaving Tesco. Knowing I wouldn't have to put with any more rubbish from the managers about not working fast enough, nothing ever being right etc. Not worth the hassle for the money you got paid, it really wasn't looking back.

Tesco bird

• Know All
« Reply #45 on: 03-01-16, 08:47AM »
Sainsbury. Obviously as with tesco some stores are better. My new one is great. I'm lucky. I actually feel better in myself. Good atmosphere decent managers and a please and a thank you. (-*-)

Mabalzich

« Reply #46 on: 04-01-16, 09:03AM »
I have a question.

So I've passed my five year mark in my current express store. I feel its come to a point where I'm ready for a new challenge/place to work I've loved the ~30 hour contract with the option of overtime there where needed but feel I need a nice routine now of normal hours.

Regarding notices, is it true from the staff handbook I would have to give 5 weeks notice (now I'm at my five year mark) surely that is a tad excessive. No employer that I can imagine will wait for 5 weeks when someone else can start immediately.

Providing a job applications and interview was successful what is the best way to go about this, any advice / guidance is welcome.

Tegai

• Know All
« Reply #47 on: 04-01-16, 09:17AM »
It's 1 weeks notice, unless your a manager then it's 4 weeks. I think you've read the wrong part of the handbook, the 5 weeks would be if Tesco gave you notice to leave eg. Redundancy.

part of the problem

• Regular Pain
« Reply #48 on: 04-01-16, 02:13PM »
My interview is with one of the discounters  :P

formerscoboy

• Regular Pain
« Reply #49 on: 04-01-16, 08:07PM »
Tescobird do you not think the positive position of the new company is driving the good management rather than people themselves? I've been in retail management since I was 19 with tosco and asda. Company doing well = regional director happy = store manager happy = managers happy = colleagues happy. When the company is literally all over the place, messages change constantly, fear of job losses and regular beatings from your rd and sm it does have an effect. It shouldn't but it does.