Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
26-03-19, 12:01AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 58911
  • Total Topics: 1091
  • Online Today: 230
  • Online Ever: 826
  • (23-02-15, 06:44PM)
Users Online
Users: 5
Guests: 112
Total: 117

Author Topic: Is the grass greener?  (Read 10660 times)

part of the problem

• Regular Pain
Is the grass greener?
« on: 17-12-15, 12:11AM »
If you could swop Your contract from Tesco to another retailer with the same terms and conditions would you? and if so which would you choose?

captain

• Smart Arse
Re: Is the grass greener?
« Reply #1 on: 17-12-15, 08:19AM »
Certainly not one of the "big boys". There's so much wrong about Tesco but there is just the same wrong about all the others.

I feel there are too many managers that just "tick boxes" and are incapable of managing properly.

My best times in retail have always been with smaller retailers with a small chain of command where even the owners know you on first name terms.

I have been at Tesco 10 years, seen a whole host of "suits" come and go and only one has ever spoken to me. 

blutopia

• Smart Arse
« Reply #2 on: 17-12-15, 12:38PM »
I think Captain is right - the big retailers are as bad as each other.  At shop floor level, the required 'qualities' of managers are BS and brown-nosing.  I cannot think of another industry they could succeed in and they are all blissfully unaware of it.  They are incapable of change so it matters little what decisions are made at the top or if those decisions are right - nothing will improve at store level until a new bunch of differently trained managers take their place.

terrybigballs

• Know All
« Reply #3 on: 17-12-15, 01:30PM »
Yes, too many managers not enough of whom who are proper retailers.

captain

• Smart Arse
« Reply #4 on: 17-12-15, 03:17PM »
There has to be something fundamentally wrong when you can get a "Desmond" at a university of anywhere and start on £18,000 pa with zero retail experience.

Fine, attract people with degrees, but trial them first and be ruthless after 6 months so only the top 10% make it.

For those who do not know what a Desmond is it's a 2:2, barely a pass and most certainly not the "cream"

express whizz kid

« Reply #5 on: 17-12-15, 04:14PM »
Not all us managers are that bad, 98% of my working day im on the shopfloor leaving my paperwork for the off peak times.. There are still alot of good managers out there we are just the type too go un reconised as dont constantly feel the need to brown nose or cry out for attenton
« Last Edit: 17-12-15, 04:18PM by express whizz kid »

Red Rock

• Regular Pain
  • Together We Achieve More
« Reply #6 on: 17-12-15, 04:25PM »
Desmond? 

No Captain your wrong in my day they where known as Ruperts!

You obviously never went to Sandhurst?

Glad I work on a van and get away from the shop floor, at least you can make your own decisions!

Tegai

• Know All
« Reply #7 on: 17-12-15, 05:04PM »
desmond is correct, as in desmond tutu. 

captain

• Smart Arse
« Reply #8 on: 17-12-15, 05:35PM »
Express whizz kid

There can be absolutely no dispute there are still some good managers out there

It's just that there seems to be too many "box tickers" coming through at the moment

minion

« Reply #9 on: 17-12-15, 06:22PM »
Out of 20 managers in my store only 2 are able to manage their depts, staff and routines effectively. The rest are idiots who prob wouldn't get a job anywhere else, lack any retail knowledge, but are extremely good at staying late, saying the right thing to the right people and general sucking up. In ten years time, if not sooner, all the good managers will be working for the competition along with the good staff and tesco will be finished. Take note Mr Lewis and get back in touch with the people on the shop floor who won't feed you bull, but will say it as it is. Then maybe the good people will stick with you and rebuild the tesco brand.

blutopia

• Smart Arse
« Reply #10 on: 17-12-15, 06:27PM »
Not all us managers are that bad, 98% of my working day im on the shopfloor leaving my paperwork for the off peak times.. There are still alot of good managers out there we are just the type too go un reconised as dont constantly feel the need to brown nose or cry out for attenton

Well done for being an exception. I hope it doesn't hold you back!

mexicopete

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #11 on: 17-12-15, 06:44PM »

Judging by the standard of your spelling the jury is out regarding how good you are. ;) ;) ;)
The worlds me lobster

express whizz kid

« Reply #12 on: 17-12-15, 07:17PM »

Judging by the standard of your spelling the jury is out regarding how good you are. ;) ;) ;)

Sorry spelling police, didnt realise poor spelling meant i wasnt good at my job

express whizz kid

« Reply #13 on: 17-12-15, 07:24PM »
Quote from: captain link=topic=15009.msg164041#msg164041 date

There can be absolutely no dispute there are still some good managers out there

It's just that there seems to be too many "box tickers" coming through at the moment

I agree with you there problem on our group is alot of managers went to co op leaving pm to feel the need to fill dm and sm postitions with safe hands who are not at standard needed but can talk the garbage required to get signed on
« Last Edit: 17-12-15, 07:27PM by express whizz kid »

mexicopete

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #14 on: 17-12-15, 07:34PM »
I just said it to wind you up, seems to have worked. BTW my manager can't spell for toffee and needs Velcro on his shoes and is the most inept individual I have come across in my long working life, despite this I really do like him as a person, also the majority of managers in my store are the pits, they really have not got a clue. Everything is about getting the right colour tick in the box and they do not care how they achieve said tick. Drastic Daves brave new world is an absolute joke IMHO. :o :o :o :o
The worlds me lobster

express whizz kid

« Reply #15 on: 17-12-15, 07:42PM »
I just said it to wind you up, seems to have worked. BTW my manager can't spell for toffee and needs Velcro on his shoes and is the most inept individual I have come across in my long working life, despite this I really do like him as a person, also the majority of managers in my store are the pits, they really have not got a clue. Everything is about getting the right colour tick in the box and they do not care how they achieve said tick. Drastic Daves brave new world is an absolute joke IMHO. :o :o :o :o

It did work lol but its kind of an embarresment to continuosly be put in the same bracket as these numpties who have no idea what is actually happening where it matters.... The shop floor

Loki

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
  • Justice is the sanction of established injustice
« Reply #16 on: 17-12-15, 08:43PM »
There may very well be managers that are decent enough individuals that are able to complete the most basic of tasks required of them. However, as far as I'm concerned, as a whole, Tesco do not produce proficient managers.

Whether or not the grass is greener on the other side is not the point. It all depends on whether there is any to graze on to begin with. Judging by the way in which this Company has been run and the way in which employees are managed, it's safe to say that we are working on barren land.
Life is a monstrous demented gag. Madness is the emergency exit.
I will not reply to unsolicited PM's.

formerscoboy

• Regular Pain
« Reply #17 on: 17-12-15, 08:48PM »
Tesco don't produce good managers because there spoon fed by the system. There's no opportunity to run your dept your way, manage your team the way you would like  and show some individual flair. Duty role is a joke sucks you away from your team. To many ridiculous meetings about meetings and unfortunately the old guard management is stuck in its ways, lazy and to comfortable. Noone in management takes an hour for lunch any more

part of the problem

• Regular Pain
« Reply #18 on: 17-12-15, 11:06PM »
I no longer feel the loyalty I once did even after 20 years service. The board seem to think brand guarantee with its terms and conditions will be our saviour rather than the obvious flat cheaper products. Customers have lost faith in Tesco so a simple "branded products are cheaper at Tesco" would work far better than the bs of having to buy 10 different branded products etc to qualify. Shop floor staff are stretched yet they can find plenty of hours for store greeters(and royal visits) shame some of the stock they want to buy is in the warehouse/chiller because Tesco want to spoon feed service rather than deliver it through the whole shopping experience.
I am for the first time looking towards the discounters.A decent hourly rate for a hard days graft. Everything simplified in the attempt to have great availability albeit limited range of decent food at affordable prices. It would have its challenges but less rubbish getting in the way. It has far less managers but those that they do have fill/struggle with the customer assistance. It probably feels more like one team than Tesco ever will. Its not for everyone but I'm definitely giving it serious thought.

Noobfirstclass

« Reply #19 on: 17-12-15, 11:28PM »
I used to praise Tesco and everything we did, now I just hate what it has become, wasted money on stupid schemes, ideas that don't benefit anybody and a cloudy future. I have a great team that are a lot of fun to work with and are lovely people but for me, I'm out, 4 weeks and I'm gone after 8 years service.

picktocube

• Sad Muppet
« Reply #20 on: 18-12-15, 02:36PM »
I no longer feel the loyalty I once did even after 20 years service. The board seem to think brand guarantee with its terms and conditions will be our saviour rather than the obvious flat cheaper products. Customers have lost faith in Tesco so a simple "branded products are cheaper at Tesco" would work far better than the bs of having to buy 10 different branded products etc to qualify.........

Just a quick point ,but that isn't how it works.  You only need to buy 1 branded item ,as long as you are buying at least 10 items altogether,then your branded items will be price checked.

tumshie

• Global Moderator
  • Sad Muppet
  • life is not a rehearsal
« Reply #21 on: 18-12-15, 03:02PM »
I wonder how many customers are clear about that.

A straightforward "Ours are cheaper."  is a much easier message to understand.

tumshie

• Global Moderator
  • Sad Muppet
  • life is not a rehearsal
« Reply #22 on: 18-12-15, 03:04PM »
If T&Cs were the same I'd definitely consider the discounters.

mexicopete

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #23 on: 18-12-15, 07:38PM »
I wonder how many customers are clear about that.

A straightforward "Ours are cheaper."  is a much easier message to understand.

So true tumshie, I have been looking at some of the Dot.com receipts in my store and many customers spending over £100 per shop are only saving under £2 per shop on a regular basis. Price match does not look very attractive from what I have seen, but as per usual the overpaids at the top know best. :o :o :o
The worlds me lobster

Blondie1981

« Reply #24 on: 18-12-15, 09:01PM »
Sorry guys but I think you have the wrong idea about Brand Guarantee....it is not about making the customers shopping cheaper....If profit is to rise the customers must pay more not less for the goods. By only including Branded goods in the comparison Tesco can charge more for the other items. Recently I did an online shop with Tesco (I had vouchers to use) and was told BG had saved me 96p....However I bought lots of own brand items and fruit and veg.....and if I had done the whole shop at Asda (as usual) I would have saved at least £3... I know because I checked.

So BG allows Tesco to raise income whilst telling the customer BG is their friend...this might have worked, but checkout ops are being told to highlight the savings and discuss them with every customer. People are noticing , as you did , the savings are very small or nonexistent. Also customers are not stupid and many treat anything Tescos do with great suspicion and look for the catch.

So listen out at the tills for "Well done Brand  Guarantee has saved you 2p....Every little Helps"