Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
22-03-19, 11:53AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 58774
  • Total Topics: 1087
  • Online Today: 198
  • Online Ever: 826
  • (23-02-15, 06:44PM)
Users Online

Author Topic: Pension Changes  (Read 67561 times)

OvaSees

• Smart Arse
Re: Pension Changes
« Reply #250 on: 25-10-17, 11:08AM »
So you could pay in Tesco pension 7-5% and Tesco will match it. 15 % in total.
Now to get 15% in your private pension you have to put in 15% all by yourself.
True, but that 15% is not tax-deductable, so that's not as big a hit in your pocket (net pay) as you might think. When you factor in the potential and projected long term returns of other schemes when compared to Tesco's, the economics of leaving the company scheme and joining a private one make more sense. Even as a privately operated scheme, Tesco's new one is just not that competitive if you compare the market and take the right long term view of your retirement plans. This is even more true when you consider that by putting people in this new scheme, Tesco shifted the investment risk of the pension funds of that new scheme from itself and onto you.

I came out of it too, and I put in 15% to a private scheme, but based on a comparison of both schemes I will get £1300 per year more in my private scheme than I would if I had stayed in Tesco's scheme at the maximum of 15%, and I could not afford to put more into Tesco's scheme in the form of additional contributions. Yes, my take home pay is now slightly smaller, but that difference is less than what I would have had to put into Tesco's scheme to get that same (higher) pension. In short, I'm slightly worse off now to be much better off in retirement.

Disclaimer: see a good independent pensions advisor, as I did. They explained that due to legislation changes and so many companies changing their schemes to make them more affordable, pensions these days are becoming like utility bills and car insurance - you have to shop around and compare the market, making your own decision based on your own plans and circumstances, there is no longer a 'one size fits all' solution. Too many people show apathy to pensions and tend to forget about them until they matter by which time it is too late. They key point is that it's all about you, your circumstances and your future plans, pensions are as individual as people.
« Last Edit: 25-10-17, 11:11AM by OvaSees »

GreenGrocer

• Sad Muppet
« Reply #251 on: 25-10-17, 02:13PM »
 :thumbup:

AlexM

• Smart Arse
« Reply #252 on: 01-11-17, 08:32PM »
Also remember that if you pay into a private scheme you still get the tax relief on it. So if you pay £100 in from your bank account, you get £25 tax relief so it's £125 that goes into your selected fund.

Duff McKagan

« Reply #253 on: 23-02-18, 08:13PM »
Forgive me if I’m missing something here but I cannot find anywhere where it says what happens to pension contributions from Tesco if someone leaves the company, not as in retires...as in quits to find another job. I can see that the employee keeps the contributions they made up until the point they leave the company but I can’t see where it definitively says what happens to the money Tesco puts in does the employee get to keep those contributions or not? It seems obvious that they should but I’d like to know for sure. Can anyone answer this please? I put in 6%..I get to keep that..Tesco puts in 6% but is it 100% certain that I’d keep what they had put in up until the point I left the company?

notsofunny

• Sad Muppet
« Reply #254 on: 23-02-18, 08:36PM »
If and when you leave you will get a letter to say what you can do with you pension pot, which would be the amount you put in and the amount put in by Tesco ,  From what I remember you will get the choice of keeping it with the Pension company ,or transferring it out to another company , (If you have the old ones then be very carful about moving them out) and remember that your fund will be charged for moving out ,, get in contact with the Pension company , the contact details are on the Yearly statement

ZyDer

« Reply #255 on: 24-02-18, 09:48PM »
You can transfer your pot to another provider at any time. ( I have checked this)
You also retain the right to be be in the Tesco scheme. (and this)
So, if you don't like the new Tesco scheme - pay the 7.5% in, let Tesco match it, then transfer the pot to a scheme which you do like, every now and then.
Repeat process till you retire or leave.

notsofunny

• Sad Muppet
« Reply #256 on: 25-02-18, 12:37AM »
Sorry Zyder can you explain what you mean by( pay the 7.5% in, let Tesco match it, then transfer the pot to a scheme which you do like, every now and then.
Repeat process till you retire or leave.  ??? , and who told you to do this ?

ZyDer

« Reply #257 on: 25-02-18, 11:39AM »
You can choose to pay any amount of your wages into the new Tesco L&G pension scheme.
Tesco will match the first 7.5% you pay in - effectively doubling your money.
If you don't like the new Tesco L&G pension scheme, transfer to a scheme you do like.
Nobody told me to do this, it's just a suggestion for maximising your pension pot in a scheme you like.

Duracell

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #258 on: 17-10-18, 11:19AM »
Zyder can you tell me when you do these periodic transfers out is there a charge or cost for doing so?
My Opinion is exactly that, Mine.  Based on my view of what I know , see and what I would do.
"Being a rep doesn't make a person right anymore than not being a rep makes a person wrong " 

Duracell.

sunshineman

« Reply #259 on: 17-03-19, 01:49PM »
I have a question. The new pension which came in, in 2015, I have yesterday received my statement. It says that I will receive in five years a lump sum of £1,300, which is when I retire. It then says that I will receive a payment of £111 a year for my pension. I worked out looking at my pot, I would have to live for 35 years to receive all my pot, does this really make sense and can I leave it.

I took a lump sum out of the older pension, and I currently receive £60 a month from that pension. I only took out £7,000.

So, I am wanting to know, if I can take out all the money from both pensions and put it to better use. It seems crazy that I have been paying into the pension for 15 years and all I will have to show for it when I retire is around £69 a month. Like what am I supposed to do with that, and how will it affect my state pension. I would also like to know how much state pension I would receive when I retire in five years.

Global Moderator Comment https://www.gov.uk/check-state-pension

lucgeo

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #260 on: 18-03-19, 07:54AM »
When the pension changed I took the whole of the DB pension out and closed it. It was an offer from the pensions, as a "maybe" at that time...after taking advice from another poster on here, I weighed up the options and decided to take the lot out.

Yes I paid a lot of tax for the remaining 25%, but as a part timer, I did get about a 5th back as a rebate at the end of the financial year. It enabled me to upsize my property, whilst remaining mortgage free. It's value has steadily increased, 10% in the last year alone. That's just my story........

Whilst I know it's not an option for everyone, I would bear in mind that on the pittance forecasts for the pension it is insulting, you will pay tax on the pension and it could take you just over the limit for any possible government allowances, when you retire.

I would encourage anyone to take a redundancy protection insurance out, on their mortgage, regardless how secure they think their job is.
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.