Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
22-01-20, 02:36AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 63632
  • Total Topics: 1129
  • Online Today: 117
  • Online Ever: 968
  • (20-01-20, 08:15PM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 92
Total: 93

Author Topic: Are you a team leader? Your job May be under threat.  (Read 351567 times)

VladPutin

• Sad Muppet
Re: Are you a team leader? Your job May be under threat.
« Reply #825 on: 04-04-14, 10:18AM »
Stock Control will probably be the next target. Since they were dumb enough to introduce Center, the effectiveness of SC has been drastically reduced. I can't remember the last time we actually got the correct amount of stock. And there is nothing anyone in store, including SC, can do to change this.

Center should have been one of the first targets for cuts. So utterly pathetic and useless they actually make HO look good...for a given value of, "good". 8-)

Iveco62

• Regular Pain
« Reply #826 on: 04-04-14, 10:37AM »
So I guess my new role will be knkwn as dot com delivery team support, and still only one of me whilst pickers get 2 or 3 team leaders.

a4lloxo

« Reply #827 on: 04-04-14, 10:41AM »
pretty shellshocked by all this having only been given the official breifing on the company email on wednesday.Think i will be taking the redundancy if the figures in this thread are ballpark.im a stock control Tl with 10 years service.
Have to say im not shocked however at the handling of the whole situation,the company has never been any good at communication but when you are playing with the livelyhoods of hard working people id have expected a bit more effort,but obviously too much to ask,eh Mr C.?
Id like to thank No_Bull for having the balls to start this thread,many wouldnt have,so my hat is off to you sir.
On a final note, has T***o got talent?......yes it does,just not at main board level.

amex

• VLH Supporter
  • Regular Pain
« Reply #828 on: 04-04-14, 11:06AM »
There is a statement about this on the USDAW website, doesn't say anything new , but might make interesting reading, maybe someone can paste it on here that's better at copying and pasting than me. 

Loki

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
  • Justice is the sanction of established injustice
« Reply #829 on: 04-04-14, 11:16AM »
Here you go:

Date: 3 April 2014

Statement from Pauline Foulkes – Usdaw’s National Officer representing members working in Tesco

Over the last couple of days, speculation has surfaced on various social media and websites regarding a pilot of a proposed new management structure in 12 stores in the Midlands area.

This speculation in turn is generating anxiety for our members and Reps. Therefore, I want to set the record straight and put in to context what is actually happening.

Tesco has announced its intention to pilot a proposed new management structure in 12 stores in the Midlands Area. The proposed structure being piloted is outlined below and is taken from the Tesco briefing:

Lead Manager roles - some roles will be removed and we will create a number of new Lead Manager roles;

in larger stores, Lead Managers will complete the majority of duty management;
the Line Manager role will be removed and replaced by a number of new Team Manager roles;

most Team Leader roles will be removed and those that are retained will be renamed Team Supports (only in high head count departments, e.g. checkouts, dotcom);

investment is being made in Express stores, who will gain an additional colleague to complete duty management.

The pilot has not gone live yet. A consultation process has started with the colleagues in the 12 stores affected.  Usdaw is currently in discussions with Tesco on the options available to colleagues that are affected, how to support colleagues that may have to transition to new roles, and how to support colleagues whose pay may be affected as a result.

I am sure you appreciate that our first priority was to support our members and Reps in the stores that are affected and then to ensure a wider briefing was delivered by Tesco to Reps, Team Leaders and Line Managers in those stores that are not part of the pilot. This is entirely in line with the usual communication process and briefings should have been completed by now. If these briefings have not taken place in your store please speak to your Store Manager.

The pilot will go live once the consultation process concludes in the 12 stores. During the pilot, our members, Reps and Usdaw officials will be part of the review process in the 12 pilot stores.

I completely understand why the news of this pilot has caused anxiety for our members and Reps, resulting in many questions being asked. However, I trust that you will understand that I cannot answer these questions as I am not in a position to pre-empt what may, or may not, happen at the end of the pilot or what decisions will emerge.

I can only communicate the facts as I know them and that is 12 stores are involved in the pilot and no other store, or colleague, is affected at this time.

This communication is intended to provide an accurate update of the proposed new management structure that is due to be piloted, to put an end to speculation and to reassure our members and Reps that I will keep you updated about the pilot and of any further developments.

This statement has also been posted out to Usdaw Reps in Tesco and they have been asked to brief members in their workplaces.

...and no other store, or colleague, is affected at this time.

Now where and when have I heard that before...?

« Last Edit: 04-04-14, 11:22AM by Loki »
Life is a monstrous demented gag. Madness is the emergency exit.
I will not reply to unsolicited PM's.

quicksilver

« Reply #830 on: 04-04-14, 12:09PM »
Instead of getting rid of team leaders, why not get rid of better service managers.They are a complete waste of money - sitting in offices all day painting pretty notices! They bring nothing at all in terms of value for money. 

VladPutin

• Sad Muppet
« Reply #831 on: 04-04-14, 12:36PM »
Agree 100%. PM's, at least the vast majority of them, should go too.

JCZY

• Know All
« Reply #832 on: 04-04-14, 12:48PM »
My compliance manager & I were kicking some figures around, these are ASSUMPTIONS...

The team leader premium is about £93,000 a year, just in our store.  We have made ASSUMPTIONS, that we will lose 6managers, (PFS, Backdoor, Events, one from fresh, one from non food, and a direct report), but gain a senior team, and the rest of line manager population take an average paycut of £1,500 a year, our store alone will save roughly £200,000 a year!

Cost cutting exercise anyone?

I really do pray that they reinvest at least 25% in more GAs, otherwise this really will fall on its arse!
Winners never quit.  Quitters never win.  If you never win, and you never quit, then you're an idiot.

Tegai

• Know All
« Reply #833 on: 04-04-14, 01:14PM »
I've seen in this thread somewhere the investment will be put into expresses  !

jimmytubbs

« Reply #834 on: 04-04-14, 01:29PM »
I've heard a few things around this thread about team leaders in express, however it doesn't actually say whats going to happen to them. Are all TL in express going or only some...

Iron Giant

• VLH Supporter
  • Regular Pain
« Reply #835 on: 04-04-14, 01:33PM »

Date: 3 April 2014

Statement from Pauline Foulkes – Usdaw’s National Officer representing members working in Tesco

investment is being made in Express stores, who will gain an additional colleague to complete duty management.

There you go, an additional colleague to balance everything out. 8-)
« Last Edit: 04-04-14, 01:34PM by Iron Giant »
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.

JCZY

• Know All
« Reply #836 on: 04-04-14, 01:36PM »
I suspect the line manager roles which go in Extras, will go into Express, and make it a SM, and 4 Team Manager roles, that way increasing the capability of the team, and making it easier to manage them.
Winners never quit.  Quitters never win.  If you never win, and you never quit, then you're an idiot.

darklighter

• Know All
« Reply #837 on: 04-04-14, 01:37PM »
It will certainly free up more staff on the shop floor as team leaders can often be folly for poor performing managers.
This has always been the case, strong team leaders propping up poor performing managers, these guys/gals should have been managers in their own right not team leaders.  Again proving that nepotism plays it's part in gifting promotion to management positions way beyond the scope of their capability.  A good reason why team leaders are unnecessary is that they are already running departments in all but name.

UPDATE 1 – Deputy store managers it seems are indeed to disappear, with Express also included in this change. However they gain a manager which will make a massive impact at convenience level. Larger Express stores could have 6 managers. This trial, my source believes should free up the store manager to get onto the shop floor.
I think this depends on the store manager.  I have seen a few that freed themselves of their own volition to work on the shop floor and still managed to run their store efficiently, many going on to bigger and better things.  So, I think rather than having a strategy aimed at freeing up store managers they should maybe look at the work ethic of those that choose not to work on the shop floor, again, through their own choice not because they couldn't.

UPDATE2 – The changes mean that the expectation will be for managers to be on the shop floor, leading by example.
Good luck with that.  Most don't do any work on the shop floor and just try getting one to go on a till.  If they lead by example then customer assistants by their logic, wouldn't do any work.

UPDATE3 – A communication has gone out to store managers this evening, confirming that the trial is taking place in the 12 stores and that nothing is concrete until the trial is completed.
Sure, we believe that don't we?

The communication points out that store structures haven’t been reviewed in 10 years, overall headcount won’t reduce as a result of this trial.
Except for those that take redundancy and wont be replaced.

It’s not about cutting costs the email continues, It is about loving customers and improving the shopping trip.
And cutting costs!

JCZY

• Know All
« Reply #838 on: 04-04-14, 01:42PM »
It will certainly free up more staff on the shop floor as team leaders can often be folly for poor performing managers.
This has always been the case, strong team leaders propping up poor performing managers, these guys/gals should have been managers in their own right not team leaders.

Not always.  There are poor performing managers and poor performing team leaders a like.  Put your tarring brush away please.

darklighter

• Know All
« Reply #839 on: 04-04-14, 01:48PM »
Could you please untwist your knickers!  I didn't say there are no capable managers, let's get that straight.  I am talking about where the team leader props up a poor performing manager of which I am sure there are plenty of people with an experience of that situation.  Yes, there are also poor team leaders, no question, so no need to be defensive because you have misinterpreted my post.

JimmySaville

« Reply #840 on: 04-04-14, 02:34PM »
like any company there are good and bad managers and supervisors (team leaders) in this company. Since Tesco is so large it does appear to have a hell of a lot more poor managers and supervisors than one would expect. This could be an uninformed illusion but seeing how this company make decisions on promotions in my time with them, I think it would be a true statement. As far as promotions go, nepotism, brown nosing, and being a yes-man/woman come above actual ability.

fmculater

• Regular Pain
« Reply #841 on: 04-04-14, 03:04PM »
I'm so thankful we have this site to hear exactly what is going on from those who are experiencing it. Will be interesting reading how the structure change pans out, what affect it has i.e how many take redundancy, what those that don't are offered and then when its in full swing how it affects the store.

For those that are resigned to staying, do you feel you'll continue working in the same way in which you have because it'll be hard giving less of yourself, or like the old saying goes "you get what you pay for" so therefore that's what the company will now get from yourself?

oddjob

• Know All
« Reply #842 on: 04-04-14, 05:07PM »
none food nights =1 manager 1 team leader, one filler?? enough said??

tl_ffsc

• Know All
« Reply #843 on: 04-04-14, 05:35PM »
More to say. non-food days (inc s/c) 2 managers, 2 team leaders, 2 p/t GA's. So yes we need a re-think but whether that is simply removing team leaders or not is the question. A lot of our "stranded" TL's who have no staff is due to the ever decreasing staffing levels. I still think most of the team leaders in our store do go above and beyond and make a valuable contribution. Maybe a minor cull of team leaders, expanding their areas of responsibility and indeed their accountability linked with a restructure at manager level would produce the same savings while retaining the motivated committed staff. The days of every manager having a team leader have to go.

maybe something like....

2 x senior leads - essentially permanent duty managers
PM does compliance too
Services run by checkouts
Ambient trading manager + 1 TL
Fresh trading manager +2 TL
Non-food trading manager (inc h+b) + 1 TL
Stock control manager + 1 TL

in my store that removes 4 TL roles and 6 manager roles, about a £160k a year saving compared to removing 4 managers and demoting 15 TL's (a guess at what is proposed) which saves about £133k a year but destroys motivation, morale and possibly leads to many years of experience leaving the business.

oddjob

• Know All
« Reply #844 on: 04-04-14, 06:37PM »
reading all the reply's isn't it funny that the people on the shop floor knows what needs to be done to turn this company round ,how is it that these overpaid prima donnas don't have a clue .or are ashamed to admit they don't know what they are doing! ???

expressdeputy

« Reply #845 on: 04-04-14, 06:46PM »
From the Telegraph's article on the FD's resignation:

Sources close to Mr McIlwee indicated that he had clashed with chief executive Philip Clarke about the direction of Tesco. A friend of Mr McIlwee said Mr Clarke had “failed to deliver on strategy” and he had “worked his way around the business blaming everyone

If that's how our dear leader behaves, it's no wonder the company is in such a mess  :thumbdown:

tasha66

• Know All
« Reply #846 on: 04-04-14, 07:27PM »
Global Moderator Comment quote of immediately preceding post removed
it does seem that way..iv met mcillwee a few times a very clever man..unlike the man in charge who hasnt got a f..in clue..in my opinion obvoiusly
« Last Edit: 04-04-14, 07:33PM by tumshie »
Keep thinking youre all safe.but reallity youre a cost whoever you are!!!!!!!!!!

brucief

• Know All
« Reply #847 on: 04-04-14, 07:32PM »
I think we should all refer to Mr Clarke as Dear Leader in future.

tumshie

• Global Moderator
  • Sad Muppet
  • life is not a rehearsal
« Reply #848 on: 04-04-14, 07:40PM »
destroys motivation, morale and possibly leads to many years of experience leaving the business.

staff with many years of experience are those who are entitled to the most redundancy money and who also may decide that it's time for retirement anyway, so they are indeed the ones most likely to leave.
t*sco can then fill those vacancies with flexi-workers, great  :thumbdown:

terrybigballs

• Know All
« Reply #849 on: 04-04-14, 07:46PM »
and all male members of staff will have to get our Dear leaders hair cut

O.K who is going to spill the beans on "phase 2" of all this