Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
20-02-20, 03:34PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 8958
  • Latest: ericik1
Stats
  • Total Posts: 64588
  • Total Topics: 1151
  • Online Today: 196
  • Online Ever: 200
  • (18-02-20, 09:30PM)
Users Online

Author Topic: Are you a team leader? Your job May be under threat.  (Read 354012 times)

SassyRep

Re: Are you a team leader? Your job May be under threat.
« Reply #875 on: 05-04-14, 06:09PM »
Ok, this thread has been running for a couple of weeks now. We have it confirmed that there is a pilot running in 12 stores in the East Midlands across different formats. There has been rumours that have popped up throughout the thread that other stores have started consultation outside the pilot. I imagine that If this is true, that they have, to some extent, been sworn to secrecy. But I ask you all now, so that the overall scale of this project can be known, to have definite confirmations from any one in these stores or a colleague close to them.
Remember, this website is anonymous and that we are all here for help and support. Thank you.

picktocube

• Sad Muppet
« Reply #876 on: 05-04-14, 06:42PM »
Now it's time for head office to be open and frank and give us the timescales in which if this "pilot" is deemed successful we are likely to be given our 2 depressing options. It would be good to know whether we've got 6 months, a year, 2 years whatever before we make hasty decisions.

not much hope of that when they are still withholding information on protected pay from the staff who are being forced to make decisions right now.

And if the information about protected pay doesn't come up within the 45 days consultation period,then another 45 days period can be invoked until the options are clear. You should still have the option of redundancy or stepping down with protected pay

fmculater

• Regular Pain
« Reply #877 on: 05-04-14, 06:43PM »
The end of the month will be a very busy time for VLH considering that is when the 12 pilot stores give their decisions. Will be interesting reading, finding out what they've decided and if any further details about pay etc are announced. We're lucky to have whistle blowers who will pre warn us and give further accounts of how the stores change as a result, the good the bad and I don't doubt for a moment the ugly. The hangover from head offices back tracking decision could last years. Pay is crucial, older staff had their Sat*rday premiums protected, Sunday double pay or time and a half protected, so why aren't ousted team leader hourly rates different? Beggars belief.
« Last Edit: 05-04-14, 06:44PM by fmculater »

penguin

• Sad Muppet
« Reply #878 on: 05-04-14, 07:00PM »
But just goes to prove that this is nothing more than a cost cutting plan and shows the talk of putting more staff into stores is just a farce when all said and done.
Tesco - the moden day word for workhouse

fmculater

• Regular Pain
« Reply #879 on: 05-04-14, 07:17PM »
« Last Edit: 05-04-14, 07:18PM by fmculater »

penguin

• Sad Muppet
« Reply #880 on: 05-04-14, 07:30PM »
I think USDAW are far to complacent and those who run it think that the memebers will stick with them and there empty talk no matter what. Those in charge of the union will come out with c**p about looking out for members and fighting hard for us when really when Tesco came up with this the union maybe said ok do as you wish.

fmculater

• Regular Pain
« Reply #881 on: 05-04-14, 07:44PM »
Well this member has cancelled their membership. This could potentially be a very costly and grave error on their part if we view their lack of communication and assistance in this decision to be far from helpful. Time will tell.

unbelievable

« Reply #882 on: 05-04-14, 07:46PM »
In my area 2 new stores have opened without Team leaders

SassyRep

« Reply #883 on: 05-04-14, 07:53PM »
Unbelievable, what part of the country is that and what format?

brucief

• Know All
« Reply #884 on: 05-04-14, 07:56PM »
fmculater: thank you for your long and well written post which sums up the feelings of so many of us.

Those of us who are shareholders (most of us) are entitled to attend the annual general meeting (sometime in June I think). What if we all turned up, demanding to ask awkward questions of our Dear Leader?  Wouldnt the press just love it!

I will try and find the date. The location isnt fixed until closer to the date. We would need to book a days holiday but well worth it.

jonestour

« Reply #885 on: 05-04-14, 08:04PM »
get the dates i will bring some from our store down....lets make a day of it

tumshie

• Global Moderator
  • Sad Muppet
  • life is not a rehearsal
« Reply #886 on: 05-04-14, 08:06PM »
brilliant idea, brucief  :thumbup: :thumbup:

brucief

• Know All
« Reply #887 on: 05-04-14, 08:10PM »
Lasy year the annual general meeting (AGM) was held on 28 June 2013. This year it will probably be the last Friday in June 2014.

Note to head office spies: book a very large venue for this years AGM!

tumshie

• Global Moderator
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #888 on: 05-04-14, 08:12PM »
Now it's time for head office to be open and frank and give us the timescales in which if this "pilot" is deemed successful we are likely to be given our 2 depressing options. It would be good to know whether we've got 6 months, a year, 2 years whatever before we make hasty decisions.

not much hope of that when they are still withholding information on protected pay from the staff who are being forced to make decisions right now.

And if the information about protected pay doesn't come up within the 45 days consultation period,then another 45 days period can be invoked until the options are clear. You should still have the option of redundancy or stepping down with protected pay

that's all right, then.  45 days of worry and distress for employees, followed by who-knows-how-many more days of worry and distress before the situation is made clear.
or, of course, the info on protected pay could come through on the 43rd day, say, leaving the employees only 2 days of their "consultation" period in which to make this important decision.

Loki

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
  • Justice is the sanction of established injustice
« Reply #889 on: 05-04-14, 08:16PM »
With regards to protected pay, the minimum amount/time limit must be in accordance to policy. I have already explained this in a previous post:

http://www.verylittlehelps.com/index.php?topic=13634.msg127915#msg127915

If this is not implemented, then it should be as a result of an improved protected element negotiated by Usdaw.

Personally, due to my own cynicism, I cannot see this happening. However, if no improved protection has been agreed AND the current protected pay is not given, then Tesco would be in breach of its own policy.
Life is a monstrous demented gag. Madness is the emergency exit.
I will not reply to unsolicited PM's.

terrybigballs

• Know All
« Reply #890 on: 05-04-14, 08:21PM »
When this all goes through, and i have no doubt it will, what will be on the agenda to save money? This is just the start , i reckon sunday premiums will be the next to go. Next lot of right hours right place is going to be grim to say the least.

tumshie

• Global Moderator
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #891 on: 05-04-14, 08:40PM »
on protected pay - it would be simple for T*sco and Usd*w to say "you will get at least the basic protected pay, as per policy, and we may negotiate a better rate for you".  at least then people would have slightly less worry.  but NO, they are not saying that.

sammy

« Reply #892 on: 05-04-14, 09:47PM »
Heard yesterday that West Bromwich have started the consultations
Apparently they have been offered protected pay over 2 years.

So much for it being East Midlands

this is true and the stores only been opening a few month well since July last year

weir-07

• Smart Arse
« Reply #893 on: 05-04-14, 10:33PM »
on protected pay - it would be simple for T*sco and Usd*w to say "you will get at least the basic protected pay, as per policy, and we may negotiate a better rate for you".  at least then people would have slightly less worry.  but NO, they are not saying that.

A rep in a store believes this is because Tesco is offering less than the policy - but more than the statutory minimum. Hence USDAW negotiating.

JCZY

• Know All
« Reply #894 on: 05-04-14, 10:47PM »
So Team leaders go, and Line managers demoted and take a pay cut.  From a managers perspective, if they do not increase staff on the shopfloor, and I end up still picking on dotcom, and sat on a checkout, and try and manage my department in the absence if team leader, is that not the basis of a collective grievance?  Because, although they have taken the DUTY shift away from us, we still won't spend anymore time on our department, and we will have no one to carry it either
Winners never quit.  Quitters never win.  If you never win, and you never quit, then you're an idiot.

Loki

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #895 on: 05-04-14, 10:48PM »
Tesco cannot simply ignore their own policy.

TechSupporter

• Regular Pain
« Reply #896 on: 05-04-14, 10:54PM »
Loki,  please believe me I'm not trying to be difficult on this, but what is stopping them not following their process? Would the repercussions be that bad in the scale of things?

EDIT: I'm just thinking worst case scenarios
« Last Edit: 05-04-14, 10:55PM by j_s2k4 »

Tesco bird

• Know All
« Reply #897 on: 05-04-14, 11:25PM »
I was told there is more doom and gloom to come..wouldn't surprise me.  (-*-) (-*-)

Loki

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #898 on: 05-04-14, 11:52PM »
I understand j_s2k4.

It certainly does seem, at times, that Tesco try to get away with what they can at the expense of their employees.

penguin

• Sad Muppet
« Reply #899 on: 06-04-14, 12:37AM »
The SM in the store I work has now taken up his own policy of refusing to speak to us T/L on any matter and simply tells us he is far to busy, you MR Manager are a disgrace to your hard working staff and I hope if Tesco have another round of staff cutting you are 1st on the list for the appalling way you have acted towards people who simply want clarity and honesty.

Fist he told us no change was going to happen, then he told us it was going to happen, then he gave out values awards to "jolly" team leaders and managers now he simply ignores us - I am not a nasty person but I hope to hell this moron is soon given a taste of his own medicine it would serve him right. What happened to treat people as we wish to be treated.
« Last Edit: 06-04-14, 12:42AM by penguin »