Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
30-05-17, 06:20AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 64525
  • Total Topics: 1410
  • Online Today: 95
  • Online Ever: 826
  • (23-02-15, 06:44PM)
Users Online
Users: 5
Guests: 68
Total: 73

Author Topic: Are you a team leader? Your job May be under threat.  (Read 254980 times)

TechSupporter

Does anyone have any information regarding the recent WL4 / 5 cull? Apparently 25-30% of the higher up management have just been given the shove! Can anyone explain as to why something like this would happen?

Thanks,

No_Bull_Ere

Re: tl 2 ga
« Reply #1 on: 19-03-14, 08:12AM »
All Team Leader positions removed from the company within 12 months.

12 Stores already announced.

Line Managers to become Team Managers.

Deputy Store Managers are also no more

Merry Christmas!

No_Bull_Ere

« Reply #2 on: 19-03-14, 09:15AM »
Managers and Team Leaders in 12 stores in the East Midlands have now all had their briefings with their Store Managers and Personnel Managers. 45 day consultation period began 2 days ago.

The company has decided that EVERY SINGLE Team Leader role in EVERY SINGLE store IN THE COUNTRY is to be finished, WITH EXCEPTION to Dot Com and Check Out departments. Team Leaders in both those departments WILL REMAIN, but to be renamed 'Team Supports'. Every other Team Leader in the country will become a Customer Assistant or take redundancy.

Several day Manager jobs have been sc**pped!

Line Managers will need to reapply for their jobs or take redundancy. New Line Managers to be call Team Managers.

Happening NOW.

Piloting in 12 stores in East Midlands.

Rolled out nationwide within the year!

Sorry for the shockingly bad news, but there it is.

Global Moderator Comment  corrected.. WS
« Last Edit: 21-03-14, 03:30PM by wheelspin »

Babylon5

• Know All
« Reply #3 on: 19-03-14, 09:39AM »
Hello, Sorry...can I just check your statement....Team Leaders "other than" Dot.com & Checkouts "will remain", thereby only Team Leaders & Dot.com are to change then?
« Last Edit: 19-03-14, 09:47AM by Babylon5 »

No_Bull_Ere

« Reply #4 on: 19-03-14, 09:53AM »
I know.

At least many staff that come to this site will have time to prepare their lives for this (if it affects them)

We got told last week there's an important meeting on Monday (just gone)

We went in not knowing anything, suspecting a reorganisation change of some sort, but totally unprepared for what came out of our Store Manager's mouth! Even he didn't seem to believe his words as he was saying them to us.

Anyone with contacts at East Midland stores feel free to contact them and you'll hear what I have stated here today!

Babylon5

• Know All
« Reply #5 on: 19-03-14, 09:57AM »
Hello no bull ere,

Can you just re state which Team Leader positions are going/staying, it seemed to read as if only Dot.com & Checkouts are affected.

Cheers

Babylon5 :-*

Anne

« Reply #6 on: 19-03-14, 10:15AM »
so checkout  and .com team leaders are going altogether and all other tl positions are now being named team support?

No_Bull_Ere

« Reply #7 on: 19-03-14, 10:23AM »
Sorry. Was writing too quickly while on the phone about it to a mate of mine that works in another store. My bad.

Right.......

The company has decided that EVERY SINGLE Team Leader role in EVERY SINGLE store IN THE COUNTRY is to be finished, WITH EXCEPTION to Dot Com and Check Out departments. Team Leaders in both those departments WILL REMAIN, but to be renamed 'Team Supports'. Every Team Leader in the country will be offered Redundancy or drop to Customer Assistant. The company are consulting NOW with Union about redundancy payouts and if to offer wage protection, and for how long. That info on its way very soon!

Deputy Store Manager roles in ALL stores across the country finished. A new role called 'Senior Team - Days' has been created. This job not automatically given to previous Deputy Store Managers... they must APPLY for it.

Events Manager role finished.

On days the Warehouse Manager and the Grocery Manager role are to BECOME ONE role. Those current managers across the country will have to apply for the job, only one of them is going to get it, obviously. The 'loser' can then take redundancy or drop to Customer Assistant.

All current Line managers to reapply for their jobs, some will not be successful and will be offered redundancy or drop to Customer Assistant.

The title 'Line Manager' is finished. The new term is 'Team Manager.

Options programme unaffected but now a big leap... Customer Assistant to Options Team Manager. Remember, there are no longer going to be any Team Leaders WITH THE ENTIRE COMPANY accept for Dot Com and Check outs (renamed to Team Supports)

Sorry for the bad news.

It affects me, too  :(

Twinkeltoes1

• VLH Supporter
  • Know All
« Reply #8 on: 19-03-14, 10:45AM »
 The company are consulting NOW with Union about redundancy payouts and if to offer wage protection, and for how long. That info on its way very soon!

Surely they will be given wage protection, its in the terms isnt it?

No_Bull_Ere

« Reply #9 on: 19-03-14, 10:54AM »
Lets get the popcorn out and watch the show!! All managers back stabbing each other and running round like headless chickens!!!

Yes, already begun in my store!

Apparently, Team Leaders were only introduced around 10 years ago. Now the company has decided that it is better off without any again (except .com & check outs).

It has also decided that mangers need to be more customer and team focused, hence the new title 'Team Managers'.

And it has also decided that it has too many manager roles so is cutting them out, and combining Warehouse and Grocery Manager roles into one.

It is creating a Security Manager and a night Price Integrity Manager Role.

We asked a million questions of our Store Manager and PM when they delivered this news to us. They told us this is NOT A TEST in 12 stores but a PILOT... in other words we're simply the first stores to get this and it is GUARANTEED to hit EVERY store IN THE COUNTRY within months.

Wage protection we were told is NOT GUARANTEED! They're consulting with Union now.

Anyone yet checked what I am saying with a colleague in an East Midlands store? Check away, but you'll hear what I'm telling you, unfortunately  :(
« Last Edit: 19-03-14, 10:55AM by No_Bull_Ere »

TechSupporter

« Reply #10 on: 19-03-14, 12:30PM »
Hi No Bull, obviously don't want to reveal your identity with which store your from however can you confirm this is the extra format?

I could see a senior role being removed as far back as my postings upto a year ago so I'm not surprised by this move, my only hope and wish is that we reinvest payroll to hire a lot more hours to put heads on the shop floor

No_Bull_Ere

« Reply #11 on: 19-03-14, 12:42PM »
Yes, I'm at an Extra Store.

As I mentioned, there were two meetings about this, one for days and one for nights. These meetings occurred at 12 stores in the East Midlands on Monday just gone.

At my store, tons of questions were put to our Store Manager and Personnel Manager, naturally. Every question relating to this, and how it affects us was asked. The answers we got I have posted here this morning!

I'm happy to continue answering any questions that I get here over the coming days as things progress at my store, like whether Team Leaders and demoted managers are going to receive protected wage deals and if so for how long.

I'm also sure it wont be too long before someone else starts posting here confirming all that I have told you.

darklighter

• VLH Supporter
  • Know All
« Reply #12 on: 19-03-14, 12:46PM »
I agree that the money saved would be better invested in more bodies that actually work on the shop floor, maybe this is the idea as there is a huge drive about staff concentrating on the customer first and foremost as evident in the new review booklets.  As  more decisions are taken centrally and out of the hands of managers at store level, doesn't this negate some management roles validity.  I wonder also if a complete restructure would be their way of getting round wage protection, not being up on union agreements or employment law maybe someone could answer that.
« Last Edit: 19-03-14, 12:48PM by darklighter »

Rad

• Know All
« Reply #13 on: 19-03-14, 12:54PM »

Lets get the popcorn out and watch the show!! All managers back stabbing each other and running round like headless chickens!!!

Yes, already begun in my store!

Apparently, Team Leaders were only introduced around 10 years ago. Now the company has decided that it is better off without any again (except .com & check outs).

It has also decided that mangers need to be more customer and team focused, hence the new title 'Team Managers'.

And it has also decided that it has too many manager roles so is cutting them out, and combining Warehouse and Grocery Manager roles into one.

It is creating a Security Manager and a night Price Integrity Manager Role.

We asked a million questions of our Store Manager and PM when they delivered this news to us. They told us this is NOT A TEST in 12 stores but a PILOT... in other words we're simply the first stores to get this and it is GUARANTEED to hit EVERY store IN THE COUNTRY within months.

Wage protection we were told is NOT GUARANTEED! They're consulting with Union now.

Anyone yet checked what I am saying with a colleague in an East Midlands store? Check away, but you'll hear what I'm telling you, unfortunately  :(

A pilot is a test.  I'm not sure I am buying this one if I'm honest.
« Last Edit: 19-03-14, 12:57PM by Rad »

No_Bull_Ere

« Reply #14 on: 19-03-14, 01:03PM »
"A pilot is a test.  I'm not sure I am buying this one if I'm honest."

Buy what you wish, my friend.

Our Store Manager was asked could a Team Leader transfer out of the area in order to avoid dropping to CA or take redundancy, he looked over at our PM, she then answered the question. She used the word "Pilot" and went on to explain that a transfer would do us no good, because this is a pilot in 12 stores, not a test that will be revoked. It WILL be implemented within months across the country. A transfer would merely buy the person a few months before he or she would still be faced with the same two options... drop down to CA or take redundancy!
« Last Edit: 19-03-14, 01:07PM by No_Bull_Ere »

chris2050

« Reply #15 on: 19-03-14, 01:08PM »
How would this work in express stores ?

zRSo

« Reply #16 on: 19-03-14, 01:23PM »
Anyone else from the 12 stores confirm? Doesn't affect me but does a few friends. Seems a bit long winded for all line managers to re-apply when there are (hopefully) some clear cut managers who need not to re-apply?

No_Bull_Ere

« Reply #17 on: 19-03-14, 01:30PM »
Over 4,000 members and not one of you knows a friend of a friend of a friend currently employed at an East Midlands store?!

Even the cleaners in our store were talking about these changes this morning!

Babylon5

• Know All
« Reply #18 on: 19-03-14, 01:31PM »
Hello,

Going from experience with another company, they will have almost already decided who they want for the "new" posts.

Babylon5 :-*

darklighter

• VLH Supporter
  • Know All
« Reply #19 on: 19-03-14, 01:41PM »
If this does happen then I hope they take the ability to recruit away from store level, that would hopefully end the nepotism and therefore only the best candidates would be employed.

Tegai

• Know All
« Reply #20 on: 19-03-14, 02:50PM »
This is a massive worry, I can't understand how a price integrity manager would be better than a price integrity team leader, it certainly wouldn't save any money

Hyacynth

« Reply #21 on: 19-03-14, 02:52PM »
 8) 8) I work in the south east at an Extra store. we have just got a new team leader, does that mean that this lady who thought she was on the way "UP" is now going back to being a G,A, again.???  on the plus side, will this get rid of all our day Managers, who have the ability to look busy, by walking round with a piece of paper all day, but in actual fact doing nothing really, except going and drinking a hell of a lot of coffee in the canteen. as they are never on the shop floor.

No_Bull_Ere

« Reply #22 on: 19-03-14, 03:08PM »
Yes. Your newly appointed Team Leader will be offered two options: redundancy and drop to CA. Team Leaders are no more!

As for Managers... they will still be around, but slightly less of them and spending their time more on the shop floor because they must now be more team focused, more customer service focused, and they will no longer have Team Leaders to run their departments and do all the stuff Team Leaders do, as well as being the manager's eyes and ears.

« Last Edit: 19-03-14, 03:19PM by tumshie »

zRSo

« Reply #23 on: 19-03-14, 03:58PM »
Any idea if this has been communicated to other stores apart from the 12 stores currently in pilot?

No_Bull_Ere

« Reply #24 on: 19-03-14, 04:00PM »
I don't know all 12 stores that had their meetings on Monday because we weren't told the names. I know some of them, though, because myself and a couple of colleagues have friends at them...

Lincoln.

Wellingborough.

Corby.

Kettering.

Mereway.

Weston Favell.

If this helps.

Ring, email, any of them if you want.