Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

28-03-24, 10:37PM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,126
  • Total Topics: 630
  • Online today: 325
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 282
Total: 284

THE CONFIDENTIAL PROTECTOR LINE

Started by The Mrs, 21-04-05, 02:02AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Mrs

A while back I found this on the Social Responsibility page of the Tesco Corporate Responsibility site, under the Human Rights Section.

"In 2003, in addition to our established Grievance Procedures, we have launched a new confidential Protector Line for our staff to call if they have concerns about whether something at work is legal or in the public interest. This should help us be more aware of possible problems such as theft, dishonesty and practices that endanger our staff, customers or the environment, so that we can
take any appropriate action."

We asked everywhere, no-one seemed to know about this. So, I got in touch with Head Office. Five days later I had the phone number.

XXXXXXXXX Updated - please see http://www.verylittlehelps.com/index.php?topic=222.msg82016#msg82016

I rang the number. I asked a few questions. This phone is manned 24/7. It goes straight to Cheshunt. They call themselves Tesco Security. You can speak to them anonymously (don't forget to put 141 before the number so that yours is withheld). You can report crime, intimidation, bullying and H & S issues. Depending on how serious it is it can be "escalated" to Senior Management to be dealt with immediately.

With all the H & S issues that are being posted on this site I thought you should all know this number.

As I said, I got the information, I haven't actually tested how effective they are at resolving problems. Please, if anyone uses it could you post back here to let us know? You don't have to tell us why you called them, just whether it works and did they really help.

The Mrs (Administrator)

thedarkside

it has been tried in magor bod ended up talking to ptm and asked not to ring it again apparently sets off alarm bells all the way up the line?

The Mrs

Thats exactly what it should do ... thats what it's for ... to get things to the top. The PTM had no right to tell this person not to ring it again! It's there for employee's to ring and if the PTM has a problem with it maybe the PTM should have been more aware of what ever was going on in the first place. Another one that's c**p at his/her job.  :(

However, how did the PTM know who it was ... this number is supposed to be anonymous?

The Mrs (Administrator)

thedarkside

Absolutely no idea but I will find out and let you know but I think the context in which it was put was if anymore of it happens the come see me first, rather than don't dare use the number.

The Mrs

OK, I'll take back the c**p bit ... cos thats a fair point. You should try talking to your managers about a problem first ... but if they refuse to listen, or don't act on information about a dangerous situation ... then thats what the CPL is for.

However, when I rang them I was assured that calls would remain anonymous ... so anything more you can find out about that would be very appreciated darkside ... thank you.

The Mrs (Administrator)

the tesco security bods are really quite efficient... you may recall some time back 18 months(ish) that 3 shift managers were dismissed for having downloaded something to their pc.... so yeah it works

regards

ihadenough

thedarkside

Remember it well but that was Info Sec and they don't miss a thing!

The Mrs

First of all ... anyone admitting to that here would be very silly, wouldn't they? We know this site is monitored, any admission would immediately alert them and then, well, it wouldn't be undercover anymore, would it?
Secondly ... as you were the one originally asking for this information in your other topic ... your move ...  ;D  ;)  >:D ;D

The Mrs (Administrator)

christopher

Easy enough to solve the monitoring problem; we find out which users have registered and never posted any messages, and the admins bar all anonymous ability to view the forums, then we just weed out the rest of them via IP address.

Or we just feed them misinformation? That'd be fun.

this is a signature. hello.

thedarkside

Freedom of speech is a wonderful thing don't you think ;)

praemonitus, praemunitus

Value Bread Butty

The confidential Protector line is advertised very well in our store.

I may ring them later about a security issue. ;)

If I were two-faced, why would I choose this one?

i along with another phoned the protector line on separate occasions,and when the lass came in and took details ,all she said was that"i cant go against a fellow manager".so in my store the poster with the number is just for show.!!

The Mrs

Is it just me ... or do people not understand the meaning of CONFIDENTIAL.

Growler ... obviously you gave some of your own personal details for them to know you were talking about "a fellow manager". And what's this about ... "when the lass came in and took details". Came in???

What happened to anonymous calls being acted upon?

The Mrs (Administrator)

suzyp

I went to my HR Manager to ask for more advertising to be put about the store rather than the 4 by 6 card on the board (which no one has ever noticed).... she maintains that there is no other information available and suggested I call on the Union!

I told her that it wasn't anything to do with the Union .... she maintains that it runs hand in hand with the Freedom From Fear Campaign .... as far as I am aware this is poop!  She also maintains that when she rang Tesco HQ they told her that there were no posters or leaflets to use in store!

Any chance of some more information anyone?

Value Bread Buttie ..... what kind of advertising do you have in your store and where can I get hold of some??

A Little Older ... Getting Wiser!

Anne

If you have no luck getting information on this site, perhaps you could photocopy several copies and display them in prominant areas  and in changing rooms etc? Even on the back of toilet doors would make them visible to staff!

suzyp

Thanks for the suggestion Anne ... will see what I can come up with :)

A Little Older ... Getting Wiser!

Changing rooms? What changing rooms, lol.

Its on like Donkey Kong beeeaaattttcccchhhh!

Anne

Staff changing areas, Shady.

Little Tinker

Thanks mrs it flaming works !!!!!!!!!!!!

Tesco's best buy's ******** Buy 1 get 259.636 shares------ free !!!!!!!!!!

The Mrs

Glad to hear it, LT  ;)  ;D

The Mrs (Administrator)

BLUE MOON

Careful Anne , that`s how i got caught out at my last store , someone got peeved and decided to do a bit of detective work !!

"He that wishes to see his country robbed of its rights can not be a patriot".

Anne

What were you doing in the ladies locker rooms? LOL!  ;D

The Mrs

As an update:

http://www.tescocorporate.com/page.aspx?pointerid=2C8F604AACC54868963C4121B14294BD&faqelementid=D596AC24900F42BDB843BB8)6B73CE9E

Human rights policy
Tesco is committed to upholding basic Human Rights and supports in full the United Nations Universal Declaration of Human Rights and the International Labour Organisation Core Conventions. We are committed to the following:

- We will treat all employees fairly and honestly regardless of where they work. All staff will have a written contract of employment, with agreed terms and conditions, including notice periods on both sides. All staff are entitled to reasonable rest breaks, access to toilets, rest facilities and portable water at their place of work, and holiday leave in accordance with the legislation of the country where they work. All employees are provided with appropriate job skills training.

- We will pay a fair wage reflecting the local markets and conditions. We always meet the national minimum wage and this is a key factor which we take into account when looking at pay and conditions.

- Working hours shall not be excessive. They shall comply with industry guidelines and national standards where they exist.

- Employment must be freely chosen. Overtime shall be voluntary. We will not employ illegal child labour, forced or bonded labour or condone illegal child labour, forced or unpaid overtime.

- Employees have the right to freedom of association. We recognise the right of our staff to join a recognised trade union where this is allowed within national law.

- We provide a safe working environment for our employees by minimising foreseeable risks in the workplace. All employees receive regular health and safety training. We provide proper governance for health and safety.

- Tesco shall abide by the non-discrimination laws of every country where it operates. It does not discriminate unfairly on any basis.

- We will not use, or condone the use of corporal punishment, mental or physical coercion or verbal abuse. Tesco has disciplinary procedures for any member of staff whose conduct or performance falls below the required standard.

- We have formal grievance procedures through which staff can raise personal and work-related issues.

- Tesco has Codes of Ethics that govern relationships between employees, suppliers and contractors. The Compliance Committee regularly monitors adherence to these Codes.

- We ensure that our store security arrangements do not infringe Human Rights and are consistent with international standards for law enforcement.

Any employee who suspects infringements of the policy or any of the above has the right to inform us without fear of persecution.

We will investigate any allegations of infringements of the Human Rights Policy, and take appropriate action as necessary. Serious breaches by employees will be considered gross misconduct, and may lead to their summary dismissal.

This policy applies to all Tesco employees whether they are in full time, part time or temporary employment.

The section in red is referring to the Confidential Protector Line.

The Mrs (Administrator)

hotlegs56

Well the mrs seems like very few people knew about this line as someone at work was telling me stuff and i suggested they ring the confidential protector line. The vacant look on their faces told me that they knew nothing of it despite the fact that they have been in tescos for many years. Guess the cpl will wonder why they are getting so many calls now, but on behalf of those that intend to use it they say thank you ;)

heavyg

used it today

T reat E mployees S  uspiciously and C on them at  every O ppotunity

Duty Manager - express

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk