Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

28-03-24, 09:02PM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,123
  • Total Topics: 630
  • Online today: 325
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 4
Guests: 293
Total: 297

Management Restructure?

Started by Tsportyhead, 13-09-16, 09:36AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duracell

Quote from: darklighter on 15-09-16, 08:48AM
Quote from: Duracell on 14-09-16, 07:31PM
Length of tongue is most definitely not in.
Who you know makes no difference.
Management skills is what it will be based on. They have an initiative already in place that will measure those skills.

I do understand your point though about the company deciding who goes and who stays, the concept of manipulation falls mainly with the individuals belief in is it possible? and would they?

Some reached their level of incompetence as soon as they were promoted which isn't their fault, rather that of their cronies further up the food chain.
Too often it has been a case of spreading wealth among friends and family which never had the potential to help the company in any way shape or form.

Those pigeons are now coming home to roost and not before time!

Ahh I see someone else listened to what they were told. Another cuckoo ?

No a rational listener of fact!
My Opinion is exactly that, Mine.  Based on my view of what I know , see and what I would do.
"Being a rep doesn't make a person right anymore than not being a rep makes a person wrong " 

Duracell.

snowyowl

I believe that this money saving exercise is to take place at the DC I work, it is rumoured that the eleven Managers (team leaders) on each shift will be cut to four on each shift. What is to happen to the surplus is as yet unknown. It is also rumoured that there will be changes to HR and H&S. It is also rumoured that there is talk of moving to ten hour shifts (not sure how that will work unless they are considering getting rid of the night shift) With regards to the conversation about retaining the Managers with the better skill-sets in my experience there are very few I would even consider employing at all. It's got to be said it's entertaining working for Tesco. I wonder if all of this has Usdaw's full support?   

darklighter

Quote from: Duracell on 15-09-16, 07:10PM

Ahh I see someone else listened to what they were told. Another cuckoo ?

No a rational listener of fact!
Say what? ???

optout

probably a response to

reply 22
I AM NOT A REP, BUT......

darklighter

Thanks optout, didn't make sense until you explained.

Arizonarugby

Quote from: Duracell on 15-09-16, 07:01PM
Cuckoo? nest?

Not even going to respond to that nonsense.
And if you continue with it I have better things to do.

As for policy and speaking to people like adults.
Are you one of the adults affected at the pilot DC's or a distribution manager or rep ? if not they have nothing to tell you. If you hear silence at this particular time you do not need to know.

As for the initiative for measuring is all ready in place, for quite some time, the tool they will use, has been in place for several years.
How do I know, because I saw it launched and I listen to the facts when they are told to me.

Duracell , again I will ask you your source of information , I certain haven't seen the initiative for measuring management so skills launched , if it exist why isn't it used as part of the section process, and what facts have you listened to, because there aren't any available on this subject , you can clearly see this from reading this thread.

Perhaps I am adult at one of the pilot dc's, a distribution manager or rep , are you ! If not how do you know more than anybody else

Arizonarugby

Quote from: picktocube on 15-09-16, 07:03PM
Quote from: Arizonarugby on 15-09-16, 12:28PM
It would be interesting for someone from one of the "pilot" dc's to inform us what the restructure actually looks like, because there is a shroud of secrecy around the "project"
I don't think that there is a shroud of secrecy around this project. I am just a warehouse op at a different DC as to where the trial is going on and I know that our managers have had the briefing about what is going on .
As for your previous post regarding Duracell,I think maybe you should read some of the many informative posts that he/she has posted across a wide range of topics on here before making assumptions.

informative across a wide range of topics , that statement speaks for it's self , so was Kim Philby and look what he turned out to be.

As for the brief about what's going on , it is exactly that -  brief i.e. Pilot at 2 dc's... no structure to the comms, no numbers , no criteria, etc, so there clear is a shroud I'd secrecy

Duracell

Arizonarugby. You seem to be answering your own questions in your speculation.

You say perhaps you are affected at the pilot DC's. In which case you will know more than I do. Which obviously isn't the case.

If you are a Manager or Rep within distribution you should have heard the facts briefed out If you haven't then you should ask for them from your DCLT and your National Reps.

If you are none of the above then quite frankly at present, why do you need to know?
The situation is not set in stone, the pilot will be a work in process and a learning curve as to what works best, best approach, best methods etc, before it is roled out to every other company occupied DC.

Your national reps and management structure at your DC's have been told the same as mine, a discussion with Both will confirm what I have said, if you are at either of the pilot DC's you will probably know even more, as you don't I suspect you are not.
My Opinion is exactly that, Mine.  Based on my view of what I know , see and what I would do.
"Being a rep doesn't make a person right anymore than not being a rep makes a person wrong " 

Duracell.

tiptop

The simple truth is that Tesco would not be implementing these so called pilot schemes if it was business as usual, sadly managers will be losing their jobs exactly in what form or how many, that has as yet too be decided..long live the king!!! :-X

Arizonarugby

The simple and sad truth is that we have a union that says yes more than the man from delmonte .

I come from an age when the union was there to protect the rights and jobs of the workers , but unfortunately USDAW are neatly tucked in to Dave Lewis's back pocket.

Since I started working for the company "real pay" has reduced significantly as the payments for unsocial working has been taken away.

The fact that the union allows the company in introduce two tier pay structures - new employees are paid differently (less) than the longer term employees , speaks volumes

Expressdude2016

Where have they introduced a tow tier system.  If anything they're there removing that as longer term employees are getting same as new employees.

Duracell

Arizonrugby. Whilst I understand the point you are making as many here and through the years have said the same.

How can the union as a united entity fight or something object to new terms for new staff?

When the company wish to reduce terms for new starters, where is the support for taking action, not existing staff as they are left unaffected. Also not from new starters because at introductory of terms there would yet to be anyone on them, after the roll out where the workers start on these terms? How they accept the terms it is the individuals choice what terms they accept.

So where are the numbers, the head count, a majority number that would be required to take effective action?

What is the point of the Union at national level saying NO NO NO, we will take action.
To then ask for support to all staff to take action about a change they will be unaffected by, because the change is rolled out to new starts?

We had a scenario where pension change affected all, a call for action from Usdaw in distribution showed a response of less than 20%.

Retail pay review has seen little official resistance.
Current restructuring is devastating even more in all pay tiers.

Where is the revolt from the members?

It's laughable to Blame USDAW.
We are USDAW.

So yeah in simple terms, we only have ourselves to blame.

Expressdude2016

Soon to be 4 Tiers in distribution in the same location if workers agree to it.
If a worker is offered a new contract a different role with different terms for a job they want to do, who am I the unaffected to say no and take action?

Duracell.

blutopia

You're right, Duracell, there is no collective stomach for industrial action in spite of pay and benefits being constantly hit.  The saving grace will be that the National Living Wage will force the company to increase the CA hourly rate in the next few years but it will no doubt be at the expense of other benefits being reduced or done away with.  The cutting of Sunday premiums for long serving colleagues was sold as a necessary to help fund a pay rise for all - classic divide and rule tactics.  Expect to see similar tactics in the race to the bottom of the pay league.

I think most people have resigned themselves to all the cost cutting as fallout from the unbelievable antics of the Philip Clarke era.  He may theoretically be at risk of a lengthy jail term but in all honesty I would sooner his punishment be to pay back all the money he made out of Tesco - it can hardly be said that he 'earned' the money for wrecking the business!  His most credible defence will be to claim rank stupidity - the ultimate example of the Tesco management culture!

hesketh

There was no call for action over the pension, in Distribution or anywhere else!

There was an insipid letter, a while after the changes took place, inquiring as to whether anyone would have been prepared to fight. The majority of us saw the futility and simply declined to answer such nonsense.

Do you really think that the union needed to ask if anyone was unhappy with the pension changes?
Don't take life too seriously, no one has ever gotten out alive!

Duracell

Unfortunately for any action to be deemed lawful they are legally bound to ask you.
And when the response is pitiful, sadly it's says it all.

There was a letter to distribution members asking if they wanted to engage the consultative process to take action, not sometime after either, the response was sadly dismall.

Duracell.

anfield

Duracell , I don't agree with u . At present Tesco have been quite clever at reducing hours and taking away enhanced overtime rates . The staff outcry has been minimal as they have targeted the minority ie nightshift and long term staff. Already there seems to be a growing outcry against the union . It is only a matter of time till the mass withdrawing of membership starts to be noticed .Either by another union or by Tesco who will then push forward with there entire plans . All nightshift gone , canteens gone , bank holiday rates gone . Guess work , on my part , maybe , but nightshifts are going and vending machines are being trialled in stores as a replacement for canteens . As for management can anyone really say that looking at metro stores , lidl etc that we really need so many managers ?even do we need so many lead team ? does a PM role in every store seem justified ? no . too expensive , for doing too little .

Duracell

How is the company seizing the opportunity to manipulate opportunity against an apathetic Union membership Just the Union Hiarchy's fault?

Duracell.

hesketh

Quote from: Duracell on 19-09-16, 06:00PM

There was a letter to distribution members asking if they wanted to engage the consultative process to take action, not sometime after either, the response was sadly dismall.

Factually incorrect and I too have suspicions regarding your continuing defense of the union and company. If you would care to produce such a letter (I'm sure you would have kept a copy) I will apologise profusely.
Don't take life too seriously, no one has ever gotten out alive!

Duracell

Are you for real?

It was an expression of wish letter, I was one of the minority that actually sent it back expressing a wish!! To invoke the consultative process , a ballot for taking industrial action. Why on earth would I have kept it ? Perhaps you could ask one of the 80% who didn't respond for a copy!

Not Factually incorrect at all.

Defense of the Union and the company? I am not defending anyone.

Just disagreeing with the proportation of blame.

But like I have said yes in simple terms we USDAW have ourselves to blame.

My view is simply different with regard to a perception of actually who USDAW is.

Duracell.

Duracell

Just for your info the proof you require is before your eyes.

Quote from: picktocube on 05-11-15, 05:26PM
Quote from: The Mrs on 05-11-15, 03:24AM

This is the vote on the current pay offer and should not be confused with the recent voting papers received in the post gauging whether DC's would take industrial action over the changes to the pension.

Do you know when the results from the vote regarding the pension are announced.?I can't remember when the closing date for voting was.

No profuse apology required, just stand corrected.

Duracell.

Duracell

I can't believe that you didn't think to look to the archives of this site to gauge what has or hasn't happened over time.

Unless the site and the other two posters are what was it again ? ........
Oh yeah factually incorrect.
Oh and are you going to question their integrity to.

Duracell.

Duracell

If we consider timeframes for a moment.
From what I can see (again from taking the time to investigate what I am about to post), the final realisation of what the pension change would be was communicated 24/08/2015, now as USDAW couldn't really challenge what had yet to be realised, from 24/08/2015 it took 9 weeks for reps to discuss the changes, gauge the feeling of their members, relay the feeling to national officers organise a postal drop of the expression of wish all to be received on the doormats before the 5/11/15 as quote above.

SOME TIME AFTER!!!!! I'd say a pretty good response time myself, the response failure were the letters and expression of wish going back!
Which only the MEMBERS had control over.

Just to clarify facts as you seem so insistant.
All available in the Archives of VLH!

Duracell.

Duracell

One more point I would like to make before I get chastised for going off topic, as there seems to be uncertainty for some as to whether the mail drop correspondence I referred to actually took place.

At my location during the time and process I referred to, it was rigorously reiterated to members by reps that they should check that their correct postal details were recorded with USDAW administration, as in such times where communication takes place your current up to date details are essential for you to be kept fully consulted.

Been an USDAW member for a decade and have moved home during that time, and may wonder why you have no knowledge of a correspondence? Did you update your details when you moved?

Just a thought.

Duracell.

Arizonarugby

Quote from: Duracell on 19-09-16, 12:04PM
Arizonrugby. Whilst I understand the point you are making as many here and through the years have said the same.

How can the union as a united entity fight or something object to new terms for new staff?

When the company wish to reduce terms for new starters, where is the support for taking action, not existing staff as they are left unaffected. Also not from new starters because at introductory of terms there would yet to be anyone on them, after the roll out where the workers start on these terms? How they accept the terms it is the individuals choice what terms they accept.

So where are the numbers, the head count, a majority number that would be required to take effective action?

What is the point of the Union at national level saying NO NO NO, we will take action.
To then ask for support to all staff to take action about a change they will be unaffected by, because the change is rolled out to new starts?

We had a scenario where pension change affected all, a call for action from Usdaw in distribution showed a response of less than 20%.

Retail pay review has seen little official resistance.
Current restructuring is devastating even more in all pay tiers.

Where is the revolt from the members?

It's laughable to Blame USDAW.
We are USDAW.

So yeah in simple terms, we only have ourselves to blame.

Expressdude2016

Soon to be 4 Tiers in distribution in the same location if workers agree to it.
If a worker is offered a new contract a different role with different terms for a job they want to do, who am I the unaffected to say no and take action?

Duracell, you are quite right the union is only as strong as its membership, but in turn the membership is only as strong as the leaders (of the union) and at the moment the national reps and the senior union members are nothing more than puppets for David Lewis.

No doubt they'll all be sat at the NEC "event" this morning paying homage to the his wilful distruction of what once was a great company to work for.

All get for usdaw is a regurgitation of the company issued statements.

There are a number of examples of this, but let's discuss the turnaround bonus, we were told no pay rise but if the company met its target we would get a turnaround bonus (in addition to shares in success) , so what did we get, yes we got 5% bonus but no SIS (normally 3.5%) and no pay rise (normal 1.5%) so in short we got nothing

Another fine example of our union leaders dancing to Drastic Dave's tune at the expense of its members

Freddie31

I have heard that at the moment we are in a phase 1 of 4 phases of restructuring. Has any one else heard about this. Phase2 apparently is about managers .. has anyone else heard this?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk