News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

28-03-24, 08:20PM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,120
  • Total Topics: 630
  • Online today: 325
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 5
Guests: 304
Total: 309

Aldi's

Started by mikeyj, 31-10-13, 05:11PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikeyj

Hello,

Can't find a good link but look out T*sco and the rest, the "jermans" are looking to trade in their fokkers and leave the clapped out spitfires for dead!

Babylon5 :-*

Nomad

Nomad ( Forum Admin )
It's better to be up in arms than down on your knees.

wheelspin

I hear its a great place to work as well.   Normal contract hours of 39 a week and better pay and overtime rates. 

People are climbing over each other to leave our place and get into the Aldi a few streets away.

happyreturns

Good luck to those leaving to join Aldi, however beware here is a review from someone   who worked there.

" I worked at aldi as a store assistant during my degree. Not sure about how other stores work, but at mine I could work for up to 12 hours a day with only one 15 minute break for lunch. I was often working longer than my hours I was supposed to in the day, and without pay, as they expect you to complete the work no matter how long it takes. I could work an extra hour cleaning up and not get paid for it. That might just have been my store though.

I think they do definitely get their moneys worth out of you, hence why the wages are higher than normal.

Staff turnover was unbelievably high and morale was very low.

They dont employ many staff, so you will be expected to do the work of about 2 people. When you arent on the till, you will be working on the shop floor, no sitting at a till waiting for a customer. Because of this, quite often on Saturdays the queues would be huge, with only two people in the store who could work on the tills. We had to put up with quite a lot of abusive customers.

Graduate scheme is a starting wage of 40k or so, but the guy who was my boss worked sometimes 7 days a week. Even on his days off he would be in at work doing bits and pieces. It wasnt unheard of him to work a 16 hour day.

Not to put you off, but do be aware of what working in retail will be like. Very different from accountancy thats for sure"

Of course this person may just have been unlucky, however there were other comments which  I found on a website called The student room .co.uk

bushido

That sounds exactly like Tesco!
bushido  
Those who scream loudest are the quietest when action is needed
"Gentlemen, you cant fight in here, this is the war room!"

Nomad

bushido I'm with you on that one.
Nomad ( Forum Admin )
It's better to be up in arms than down on your knees.

loser38

it doesnt sound like its any different to Tesco,i know i could never work there,i cant stand shopping in the place,perish the thought of ever working in it...tesco might be bad,but i am old enough and daft enough to know the grass isnt always greener on the other side!

VladPutin

And so it will go on...and on...and on...until the whole world is ours!!! >:D

Aldi, Aldi, uber alles... 8)

danandnic05

i used to think aldi had no staff with its giant queues etc but the last couple of years they seam to have more than us on shop floor and the speed you get through checkouts is great

there can be 5 people in front with loads of stuff and the longest you wait is a couple of minutes

in tesco it takes that long to find a checkout that isn't closing then when you do find one the person in front of you with 3 things
1st expects you to pack then you bombard them with 30 questions clubcard, pan stickers ,viewpoint cards each one needing a lengthy explanation
then he thinks one of the items is priced wrong(mainly due to tacos obsession with changing prices every day) then one of his clubcard coupons wont scan then i wish i was somewhere else

i found aldi really hard to shop in at 1st and still can only get  about 80% of what i need  that said now I'm used to it the shopping i get from there is about 60% cheaper for similar if not better quality/pack size. i managed a full trolley for £50 I'm lucky if i can fill a basket at any other supermarket

happyreturns

Can't comment on what it's  like inside an Aldi as I have never been inside one.
Quote from: loser38 on 31-10-13, 10:36PM
it doesnt sound like its any different to Tesco,i know i could never work there,i cant stand shopping in the place,perish the thought of ever working in it...tesco might be bad,but i am old enough and daft enough to know the grass isnt always greener on the other side!
As far as the grass not being greener on the other side I guess you are right but, whether it's just the same as Tesco now, I can't comment on either as it's been nearly 7 years since I worked there and over 30 years since I worked in a shop for more than a week or so at Easter and Christmas.
However I doubt whether Tesco GA  staff have to work 12 hours straight with only 15 minutes break, or are required to finish their work regardless of how long it takes them, without pay, or have to clean  up after they have finished their days work, once again without pay,if it happened in Tesco the Union/shop steward would jump on it very quickly, but no Union recognition in Aldi, although USDAW are trying to increase membership  to get recognition in warehouse/distribution.
But on the plus side you get more per hour.

silverbackache

Aldi used to be like that and initially didn't have scanners so staff had to know the price of every line and very few staff in each branch as not a volume supplier.
That was quite a while ago.
Now there are scanners, more staff and they have just completed a recruitment drive which has increased the numbers of staff in each branch plus the rate of pay is far superior to ours.
Isn't this the way we used to be while gaining market share and before we became bloated with managers and understaffed with GA's.
When we were hungry to overtake the competition.

fargone

What's going to happen if Aldi can increase sales by 30% every year?

silverbackache

It wont affect us as according to happyreturns our only competitor is Sainsburys.
These additional customers must have come from the other supermarkets.
It is funny how many Aldi bags I now see at the checkouts.

fargone

British Airways used to laugh at easyJet and Ryanair.

loser38

Quote from: happyreturns on 01-11-13, 11:29AM

But on the plus side you get more per hour.

i thought they only got paid more per hour as they had to pay their own tax?

as for a Tesco GA working unpaid hours,yes,i know of a few members of my team who have been told they need to stay on to finish their work,and no,they do NOT get paid for it either...they are too afraid to stand up to the bosses,on a plus side,they have been told they will go places within Tesco...i guess that being young and naive is all part of the learning process in Tesco.

SAMCRO

Working hours unpaid is totally unacceptable as far as I'm concerned. Fair enough if it's at your own choice for whatever reasons, but never because a manager has told someone they have to do it. This is another reason why Tesco is the way it is. Too many members of staff who don't stand up for themselves, so the ones who do stand their ground don't progress or are managed out of the company.

By staying over unpaid you are just de-valueing yourself and not helping the powers that be fully understand the critical problems in stores - Not enough staff. If you are willing to do the work of 3 employees by working 50hrs a week you're part of the overall problem.

Justaporkpie

Aldis got it spot on.  You get in, do your shop, and get out. Simple. Checkout ops say "Hello, Thank you and Goodbye". No twenty questions.  No faffing with vouchers, stamps etc. ' Bags' entirely up to you!  Throw your stuff into trolley and pack your own bags over there or where ever.  If I needed help I would have someone with me or maybe a carer.  Love it!

mikeyj

Hello,

SAMCRO my sentimoanies exactly as Homer Simpson would say, staff who decide to stay are a big part of the problem, they won't be on 7.28 per hour either effectively!

Babylon5 :-*

TescoNerd2007

well  that definitely sounds like my store although not for the CA's but for management.

danandnic05

im drunk on £3.50 aldi wine :)

Loki

I shop at Aldi once a week straight after work. Fantastic value for money and plenty of food to feed the family.
When all else fails, madness is the emergency exit.

picktocube

Equalizer87

And Tesco hasn't  had such problems? ??

They have far better value for money than Tesco and that's why they are gaining ground. Simple as that.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"

just curious

What is to say Tosco do not use this supplier for some Value / own brand products , that factory may have a pest issue but take a look round some back yards and areas of certain stores they are hardly clean . what sort of a company sends " Fresh " foods out to stores in a chilled lorry then turns the said lorry into a dustbin cart to collect RSU from stores which may have had rats and god knows what urinating and living in the rubbish ? Not every lorry is washed after each run either just ask any back door person how clean a trailer is when it arrives to store ?. :-X :-X

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk