News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

28-03-24, 03:47PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,115
  • Total Topics: 630
  • Online today: 316
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online

Unloading a lorry by myself??

Started by kimbolina, 15-11-17, 09:50AM

Previous topic - Next topic

notsofunny

All managers should know the rules   ??? They should but don't always , Remember One manager taking on someone to work on the back door during the summer holidays , it was only after they asked for a  day off for their 17Th birthday ,did it click what was going on  :o

trolleyboy96

Every so often you get one under 18 that thinks it's ok to do the job, I remember a lad a few years back any chance he got to tip a wagon he would as it's "more fun" than filling toilet rolls, manager did an informal discussion as it was back then, colleague ignored it, 2 weeks later he got a final written as failure to adhere to health safety at Work, I think he lasted a month before being caught again and sacked.

Anyway moral of story if under 18 don't, if told to by a manager you can decline and take a rep with you for a meeting or a wages clerk as they know the young workers rules better than most, and if you do do it don't get caught! - last bit joking!!

FatFraz

In my store you'd never get caught. The managers are too busy sitting in the non-confidential office or the PMs first aid room. If they are not too busy filling the soft roll or bullying GAs.

optout

use your phone to video it happening whilst the manager is present (later to be backed up by store cctv footage) then call protector line, tell them that you have evidence and you are going to contact the local council if something isn't done about it.

Watch the s***-hit-the-fan
I AM NOT A REP, BUT......

Nomad

https://www.commercialmotor.com/news/compliance/tesco-worker-hit-falling-roll-cage

QuoteTesco has been fined £160,000 following an accident at its store in Chadwell St Mary, Essex, when an employee was seriously injured when a roll cage fell on her during unloading.

A hearing at Basildon Magistrates' Court was told that on 30 September 2015 Ms Manze was working alone to unload roll cages containing stock from a delivery truck at the Tesco Express store. As she moved one of the roll cages into the store, it fell on top of her, causing injuries that required hospital treatment.

They included a fractured pelvis. Thurrock Council found that Tesco had not followed its own risk assessment, which requires two people to work together when using roll cages.Tesco pleaded guilty to breaching Section 2(1) of the Health & Safety at Work Act and was also ordered to pay £18,118 costs to Thurrock Council.

And some will still do it on their own either out of fear of a MM bully, ignorance or a "it wont happen to me" attitude.
Nomad ( Forum Admin )
It's better to be up in arms than down on your knees.

Teddybonkers

OR, look at me, arn't I cleaver - do I get my cheap suit and stripey shirt now !

Totot

Common things happened like that in express, rarely 2 staff when tipping delivery. Tipping 2 delivery in a row just only you, not enough space in the backyard and warehouse to put delivery, and some will be in the shop floor, of course after put some cages in bakery, staff room, management room and other space available.

Tesco got fined is nothing, manager got fined that will be interesting. In some express i work if tipping need to be 2 person, the shop will be close really often when delivery is coming. It is not about scared of manager etc, most people who work in express dont, at least people  i know. but if you do that, everything will be stuck. Even sometimes i hope that happened more, people just need to let the worse happened...to the shop  because of bad management.

For now what gonna happened in expresses are closing the shop due to no staff, one or none, mostly in bank holiday. Overtime is become a nightmare, when you get asked to do overtime due to someone on holiday or sick, expect to work one on one for few hours or whole shift.

Nomad

Totot, do you tip on your own when you should not ?

I only ask as you, like many others, seem to justify it being done for the sake of things that are not the responsibility of the 'tipper'.
Nomad ( Forum Admin )
It's better to be up in arms than down on your knees.

Totot

Most of the time yes, good thing now the bay is much better than before with. Beside because of really tight space, if there are 2 people tip it down, one will drag it to the bay, the other will just look from the bay waiting for the next cage, it is impossible for one in the side the other in front of the cage.
Forget about rule and regulation even every year we have to re-do taking delivery training.

notsofunny

If any one of you are tipping , Unloading /loading on your own then you are stupid. I have seen to many cases when someone has been hurt and Tesco walked away by saying the rules say ..............

Break the rules and you risk your health and your job ,

All the Express stores have cracked down on safety in my area and are following the rules to the book, but that's only after someone got hurt and The company used the safety rules that had been broken to cover themselves.

lucgeo

Tesco are always flouting their H&S rules...and as soon as an accident happens...they blame the colleague for not following those same rules...an argument of the manager told me to, will fall on deaf ears, as YOU have signed off on your training cards, so it is up to you to follow the rules :-X

Yesterday, shopping at another local Tesco, there was the bloke, collecting trollies, no Hi-Vis and canvas trainers on  ??? ???
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

hesketh

If you break the rules and get hurt it will not even be Tesco that you end up arguing with.

Ultimately, you will be facing the insurance company's £200 an hour barrister, and he/she doesn't get paid that much for losing!
Don't take life too seriously, no one has ever gotten out alive!

merryoldfart

Does the information on SSOW still stand as my store seem unable to find our SSOW ?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk