News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

28-03-24, 11:20PM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,126
  • Total Topics: 630
  • Online today: 325
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 285
Total: 287

The Hub

Started by beentheredoneit, 13-08-19, 04:03PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tobybeecher

I’ve had the hub pick up something within an hour but this was at Christmas time.

Mickymouse1962

The hub doesn't catch shoplifters at all just staff.

Siwel123

Have to disagree, lately the hub has been picking up a bunch of shoplifters and thiefs from within store, showing us how they've managed it, which management have then tried (not gone very well mind) to combat.

Nymeria

Shoplifters seem to be a constant here in Liverpool anyone else having same problems?
More security please

Blackcat3

Shoplifting problem is everywhere bad in Sheffield too

Mickymouse1962

Well 3 or big hits at our store and hub saw nothing didn't contactstore till 3 days later

Redshoes

Have seen on security newsletter that shoplifters caught due to hub, more than once

forrestgimp

I've seen on the newsletter thsat the hub has identified thieves normaly the ones stealing large amounts of spirits or printer ink.

Cant say I recal any being stopped from stealing or apprehended (which we are not allowed to do) on it though.

Normaly its a super grainy picture of a few asian guys telling us they robbed Tesco in some town 300 miles away and to be on the lookout as they could be coming to us or a grainy picture of a couple of travelers who robbed us with a car number plate from a 2002 zafira as they seem to think we are in the carpark taking note of every car that comes in and reading their reg plate.

VladPutin

Quote from: penguin on 23-12-19, 05:54PM
The hub and similar systems are the future of work, like it or not, and anyone who thinks its just a Tesco thing to spy on the staff should be under no illusion other companies are bringing in similar systems as we speak.

True. Business, Politics, Law, Religion: it's the s*** that rises to the top, not the cream.

That's why I respect nothing, believe in nothing. Care about nothing except myself and those people close to me.

God, Queen and Country? Democracy and the Rule of Law? Aye, right. 8-)

chris9997

helpfully the facemasks supplied would be from china

gomezz

One face mask to be shared among all staff?
"The progress of the kart is more important than its direction"

NavyNinja

So, today I was called into the interview room for my first Hub 'offence'. Thought I'd share it here to document what it's like.

When I went in I was told by my department manager (checkouts) that they had received a Hub report about me. Five or six were called in all about varying things though nothing major. Mine was to do with a 'walk-off' on a SAYS till. I was shown a double sided print out with stills from the Hub camera's. Under each still was a brief comment by whoever had filed the report. They were simple remarks like "here we can see the colleague approving an age restricted item" and "colleague is seen removing security tag from bottle". The customers face was blacked out although one still was of them walking out through the front door with their trolley. My name tag was not visible in any picture nor was, from what I could see, my name mentioned in the document. Presumably unless there is a separate document not shown to those called in my manager recognised me purely from the picture. The image quality wasn't great, not incredibly sharp but enough to make out a face although not what the till screen says (at least in this instance).  The page with the stills also contains a brief overall description of the incident and is marked on the top as “Confidential and Commercially Sensitive”.

Anyway, this happened the week beginning the 10th February. Talk that the Hub is on some sort of delay (I had heard two weeks) does seem to be warranted. Though unless there is some sort of delay on our stores end this is now nearly four weeks after it happened. I remember this incident as someone had some alcohol that needed approving and de-tagging. I was fairly new to Self Scan at the time and alone on there and wasn't aware we had to remove tags only after customer had paid. Anyway, they had 'bout £60's worth of items and just waved their card in front of the screen without clicking "pay now" first. Quite innocent I believe. I informed the guard at the end of my shift and showed them the receipt and they confirmed to me the following morning they had just tapped their card without selecting “pay now”. 

My manager then made some comments on a separate page about what he and I had discussed regarding the incident and I was free to go. No ticking off or rollocking. He did point out that tags should be removed only after customers have paid but I’ve learnt that since the incident anyway.

I am interested though in why the Hub picked up this particular case. We’ve had it installed since early/mid December. We’ve had walk-off’s before, all of which I write in the book when I discover them, and since yet it only picked up this instance. The report seems to be about the walk-off not me removing the tag ‘too soon’. I know for a fact I’ve made mistakes since this incident so is the Hub now going to spring that on me in 2/3 weeks? I also wonder whether, if Tesco could, customers who do ‘walk-off’ could be tracked down using the Hub?

Anyway, that’s my experience and thoughts!

Rad

The hub isnt to track customers its to track you.  The fact a restricted item has had a walk off is whats triggered a review it, then when they've reviewed it, they've saw the incident and raised it as a concern due to breaking process.  You've not been discliplined as you've not been trained properly.

NavyNinja

I know it's for staff, I was just pondering a thought! So when a transaction is voided and a restricted item is contained within it that's probably what prompts the Hub? I thought perhaps it might have been the total amount.

adamlad

I have seen emailed hub reports to my store with both triggers in some are voided transactions containing ordinary groceries but of large amounts. Others are small but suspect items like postage stamps

adamlad

Navyninga.  The hub would have logged your cashier id when u voided that's where your manager got your name from

gomezz

If the customer's face was not shown how can they know that it was improper sale of an age-restricted product?
"The progress of the kart is more important than its direction"

madness

you know the self service person is logged on the tablet as a job of who and when right. not hard to match them up

NavyNinja

Quote from: gomezz on 07-03-20, 10:11PM
If the customer's face was not shown how can they know that it was improper sale of an age-restricted product?

Good point, perhaps their faces are blacked out only on the copies shown to the staff concerned? In this case I gather it was the walk-off that was the issue and not the improper sale of a product. I remember the customer being fairly elderly!

NavyNinja

Quote from: madness on 07-03-20, 10:14PM
you know the self service person is logged on the tablet as a job of who and when right. not hard to match them up

Our only tablet has been down since start of Feb, we are supposedly getting a laptop instead at some point.

Redshoes

Individual sign on tracking at self service is pending. At the moment the till receipt details are generic, unlike the other tills. If other stores can track by receipt number on self service they are ahead of the game. We do however track shrink on self service, we are expected to do so. All walk off transactions should be voided and checkout manager needs to review. A report comes down and the checkout manager shout balance tracked walk off in store against actual on report. How they record/track this will be up to the individual stores, there is not a set way. We put receipt in book with details of who was on self service at the time. When you hand the void receipt to team support they write down the details. A void at that amount is high, most voids are for under 10.00 in my experience.
There is online self service training. You need to experience self service before you do the training but then follow this through with the online. The online tells you about the voids at self service and when to de-tag alcohol, along with other things. If you have not done the online training you should not be held responsible. The training record cards have gone now, archived to file. It's all online for the training and for the checking if done.
Shrink focus is on the front end. I think the manning hours for self service is being refreshed but during busy periods I think it is going up to one person to four tills. For example it will be single manned most of the day but dual between 1200-1300 but this will be store specific. So not one person to four tills at all times, only during busy periods.

lucgeo

Pretty sure there is a ratio of manning self service checkouts per colleague. Cannot recall the agreed amount between USDAW and Tesco, but it certainly isn't just for busy periods. If you were on your own, and the ratio was exceeded, then there should have been no hub investigation.
The customer's face would be redacted, following legal privacy rights.
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

chris9997

whilst shopping in m+s yesterday and looking around for a member of staff  for help, other than those on the tills i was thinking whats the deterent for shoplifters but it got we thinking have m +s gone to something like the hub to overlook the shop floor remotely so saving on staff numbers a lot of large stores appear to be the same,so this bleating on about the internet taking sales from the high street although this is proberbly true the retailers on the whole have only them selves to blame as the customer service one used to get has been long erroded.

NavyNinja

So how long of a delay is the Hub actually on then do we know? As I said above I had heard two weeks but this is now nearer to four weeks since the incident they picked on me for.

adamlad

The incidents are sent to store in our case within a few days I have seen incidents that come within 3 days of it happening. Management have been known to take weeks to follow up however

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk