News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

19-04-24, 08:27PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,370
  • Total Topics: 636
  • Online today: 552
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 5
Guests: 543
Total: 548

Pandemics & Tesco's policy

Started by Orangutan, 24-02-20, 09:51AM

Previous topic - Next topic

blueberet

Anyone else being told to queue up with everyone else outside if you want to pick something up after your shift?

Tinkerbell1234

Hi I have 2 elderly parents my father has copd and other issues hes in poor health I have been going to work I have a cough for a while  Today my parents called me at work very scared and worried and have begged me to isolate I spoke to my manager not great help He said will go through my options on sunday I called 111 and they said to isolate but still expects me to work weekend I feel bad not been able to work and support but my parents are more important not sure what to do

beentheredoneit

Quote from: blueberet on 27-03-20, 08:28PM
Anyone else being told to queue up with everyone else outside if you want to pick something up after your shift?
Ridiculous. You just clock out and do your shopping.
beentheredoneit

Welshie

No , our store has brought trolleys inside for staff so once they clock out they can get a trolley and shop .

Tossgo

Quote from: Bubbles1234 on 27-03-20, 10:08PM
Hi I have 2 elderly parents my father has copd and other issues hes in poor health I have been going to work I have a cough for a while  Today my parents called me at work very scared and worried and have begged me to isolate I spoke to my manager not great help He said will go through my options on sunday I called 111 and they said to isolate but still expects me to work weekend I feel bad not been able to work and support but my parents are more important not sure what to do

Simple... you won’t get paid due to current polices set around coronavirus... so just ring in sick... with stress due to everything going on at the moment, after a week get a sick note.
You won’t get paid for the first 3 days if you started after 2004.. but after that you will receive full pay untill your sickness entitlement runs out.

blueberet

If you have phoned 111 and been told to isolate because of your cough then that's what you need to do.

The health of your parents is a million times more important than your job at tesco. I'm not sure who you feel bad for not being able to support but if it's tesco then don't feel bad they are just a company, if it is your colleagues then they will understand and if they don't who really cares, and if it's your parents then it is what they want you to do. Like Tossgo says you'll be eligible for sick pay. 

oldfashionedplayer

Bubbles, if you go to the NHS / 111 bit, put you've hit a cough or someone you live with have, then it will give you a sick note email and also a reference number for your managers to check if they've got any hint they think your faking, so use that and get 2 weeks off paid from day 1

Tinkerbell1234

I will do the manager stays in office all day isolated then tells me stick to the 2m rule makes no different does any one know what the options he said will go through pack with me other staff are isolated to just feel im the only one being questioned

Redshoes

Quote from: Tossgo on 28-03-20, 12:19AM

Simple... you won’t get paid due to current polices set around coronavirus... so just ring in sick... with stress due to everything going on at the moment, after a week get a sick note.
You won’t get paid for the first 3 days if you started after 2004.. but after that you will receive full pay untill your sickness entitlement runs out.

You should not be in work with a cough.  If you live with your parents it's different to if you don't, but people off that are vulnerable can have partners going to work.  This is acceptable but there are guidelines to follow and it can be looked at as a case by case.  If you don't live with your parents but are shopping for them etc you should not go in house. You need to drop things off for them outside and talk through closed window.  I have a friend who took Mother's Day card to mother and just showed her through the window, did not even deliver the card as mother so vulnerable.
You most certainly should only not be in work with a cough but you should not be visiting your parents either.  It's isolation either at home alone or with very strict social distancing if not.

Tinkerbell1234

I live with my parents i have told my manager i am isolating myself he said just keep a distance i said no he said will go through options because i dont have symptoms he said no need to isolate i have ignored him maybe if he come downstairs and support wont be struggling its hard I've not had time off in 5 years and in situations like this i dont have a choice thanks for all the advice

gomezz

Quote from: Welshie on 27-03-20, 11:56PM

No , our store has brought trolleys inside for staff so once they clock out they can get a trolley and shop .
I only pick up enough bits and pieces I can carry or put in a basket at the end of my shift.  But then I am not shopping for a large family.  Did use my break yesterday evening to pick up a pack of beer for the weekend to put in my car as the tills would have been closed by the time I finished my shift.
"The progress of the kart is more important than its direction"

mexicopete

Quote from: Bubbles1234 on 28-03-20, 11:27AM
I live with my parents i have told my manager i am isolating myself he said just keep a distance i said no he said will go through options because i dont have symptoms he said no need to isolate i have ignored him maybe if he come downstairs and support wont be struggling its hard I've not had time off in 5 years and in situations like this i dont have a choice thanks for all the advice

I've just been talking to a former colleague I worked with in Dot.com and apparently their new manager has deliberately not told anyone that one of the pickers has been self isolating this past week as the MM team were worried that all the pickers would have had to self isolate at once. What a vile bunch of chancers they have in charge at my old store. >:( >:( >:(
The worlds me lobster

NightAndDay

Quote from: Tossgo on 28-03-20, 12:19AM
A few posts prior someone mentioned paid 7 days worth of absence from day 1 for self isolation, either that is still the case or it has changed very recently.

Tinkerbell1234

Yes you do it paid  7 days  self isolated and there are options you can take which my manager will go through with me tomorrow you need to do whatever to protect your family I would like to carry on working but  living with high risk elderly parents dont have a choice but to isolate myself 

RandomJim

I just wanted to add that this new policy is a complete p**s take.

So I have asthma, I have had asthma since I was a child. I have a blue inhaler of salbutamol and still occasionally require it.
I get asked to have a flu jab every year but in 2019 I decided not to have it.
Now tescon takes the stand that unless I either;
Had the flu jab last year
Have been hospitalised with asthma
Are on steroids for it
I can’t take the 12 weeks paid leave for my own safety.
I have a chronic lung condition and they’re not supporting me becuase I made a choice last year!!
To top that off, my mum is over 70, my dad got the extremely vulnerable letter for copd and now they’re making me go into work, on days, and risking catching a lung virus, all because I didn’t get the flu jab.

The government guidelines says that someone who is “instructed” to get the flu jab.
So eff this company. I need out ASAP.
Now I have to also worry about my anxiety and my mums anxiety peaking whilst somebody with a BMI over 40 can simply have the time off. (Nothing against them but you’d think those with lung conditions would be more thought of)
And that’s my rant.
Let’s hope I don’t catch it.

Tinkerbell1234

Speak to your manager there are options you can take they cannot  stop youto self isolate i have elderly parents my father is poorly so i have isolated myself my manager going through options with me dont risk it protect your family they come first especially if you are high risk

RandomJim

The only other option is unpaid leave ... and I can’t afford to take that.

Hopefully they’ll let me work in the back because I won’t feel safe on shop floor.
Haven’t left my house since the lockdown

Tinkerbell1234

There are more options  ask your manager about it

RandomJim

It’s the biggest kick for me to look harder for a new job after it’s all done though.
These last 2 years have been the worst.
Almost redundant
Have to work more hours, days I hate and am not needed,
Now I’m not covered to be away from work with an underlying condition.
Nah
I’ve had enough

Tinkerbell1234

You  will.get there speak to someone else i feel the same I hate it my manager just stays in office we have staff of isolated and he wont do anything im looking at leaving not a great place to work   >:D

RandomJim

It’s really not.
I stayed as I needed the money and it was easy while I looked for something else ... but now I’m gonna pay for courses and join more job groups and everything now.

lucgeo

Call in sick my son...don't knobble yourself...you sound very much under stress...take time out and recuperate..stay safe..stay well.
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

RandomJim

Well it’s trying to get to a dr to get a sick note for stress and anxiety ... my doctors is closed.
Although I have been there over 16 years so I would get paid day 1 .. but it’s getting the note that’s the problem.
More worries
:(

madness

Quote from: RandomJim on 28-03-20, 05:58PM
I just wanted to add that this new policy is a complete p**s take.

So I have asthma, I have had asthma since I was a child. I have a blue inhaler of salbutamol and still occasionally require it.
I get asked to have a flu jab every year but in 2019 I decided not to have it.
Now tescon takes the stand that unless I either;
Had the flu jab last year
Have been hospitalised with asthma
Are on steroids for it
I can’t take the 12 weeks paid leave for my own safety.
I have a chronic lung condition and they’re not supporting me becuase I made a choice last year!!
To top that off, my mum is over 70, my dad got the extremely vulnerable letter for copd and now they’re making me go into work, on days, and risking catching a lung virus, all because I didn’t get the flu jab.

The government guidelines says that someone who is “instructed” to get the flu jab.
So eff this company. I need out ASAP.
Now I have to also worry about my anxiety and my mums anxiety peaking whilst somebody with a BMI over 40 can simply have the time off. (Nothing against them but you’d think those with lung conditions would be more thought of)
And that’s my rant.
Let’s hope I don’t catch it.

If you fail to help yourself why should others help you. 
This is the same as some massive overweight person blaming thier 7 day a week fast food habit on Mcdonalds.
You didn't choose to have asthma i agree but you could have prevented a potentially dangerous situation. Prevention is always better than cure.

Awaits reply of "actually chose not to get it because xyz happened on the day and never got round to sorting it out again." 

RandomJim

Actually I didn’t have future powers to see a global lung pandemic coming.
Plus if I catch it when I’m out and around .. my problem ... if I catch it at work .. then they’re not providing adequate duty of care.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk