News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

24-04-24, 07:11PM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
  • Total Members: 5,899
  • Latest: dezza
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,407
  • Total Topics: 638
  • Online today: 317
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 233
Total: 235

Managers pay review meeting 2017

Started by Woody44, 28-06-17, 07:31AM

Previous topic - Next topic

londoner83

Whilst it undoubtedly sad that premiums have  been cut the business is no longer generating the profits it once did and changes had to be made to satisfy the shareholders

I think it's sad it's being done piecemeal with a minority affected each time and would prefer Dave to spell out his vision how he believes Tesco will look in 5 years rather than picking off groups to suffer.

If you look at other retailers they expect more from their managers for often less pay. If team managers are actually in charge of their departments do they need senior team? Does a phone shop with 4 staff need a team manager when a checkout manager has 200 staff to manage.

Yes if you moved stores a lot picking up increases with every move you may well be earning too much in comparison to your colleagues. If your happy try finding such a well paid job in another retailer where you don't have to work 5/7 or cover duty.

alf

Funny I didn't see any empathy during management restructures a couple of years ago, so according to bootsoff warped logic, why would managers have empathy for GA restructures.

It's a bizarre (not to mention, rather childish)  merry-go-round, each side not having empathy for the previous side, because that previous side didn't have empathy for that current side, and so on and so on.

Sooner or later (though, I don't hold my breath) both sides will realise they're both being shafted, and the  petty bickering is pointless, and frankly, misdirected.

smart chick

When are the next management restructure and when do pm. And compliance go week26 start of next year

grim up north

Quote from: alf on 07-08-17, 05:32PM
Funny I didn't see any empathy during management restructures a couple of years ago, so according to bootsoff warped logic, why would managers have empathy for GA restructures.

It's a bizarre (not to mention, rather childish)  merry-go-round, each side not having empathy for the previous side, because that previous side didn't have empathy for that current side, and so on and so on.

Sooner or later (though, I don't hold my breath) both sides will realise they're both being shafted, and the  petty bickering is pointless, and frankly, misdirected.

Totally agree. As far as ivory towers are concerned work level 1/2 are plebs. Fighting among ourselves only leads to one winner.

kaled78

it's generally the managers who thought "they" were untouchable,people have no sympathy for

OvaSees

Quote from: alf on 07-08-17, 05:32PM
Umm, because managers are responsible for GAs not vice versa, remember? Managers are the ones who we are told should 'inspire' us. It's not our role to inspire them. On what basis do managers expect 'empathy' from any GA?

Also, restructures of management populations has always happened at Tesco, it's part of management life, and this time last year managers were (or at least should have) been told by their PMs and SMs that reviews of management roles and structures is now a continual process at Tesco, not an occassional one. Department Managers became Controllers and Supervisors were got rid of. Controllers became Section Managers and more went to reduce numbers. Section Managers became Line Managers some lost their jobs and Team Leaders were introduced. Line Manager roles were chopped and changed numerous times, some lost their jobs. Line Managers became Team Managers some lost their jobs and Team Leaders were got rid of. But amongst all of this, GAs have always been GAs and have seen managers change like the weather - so we have come to expect it in the management population, some managers clearly have not - which is very very naive of them, not just because of history but because of the changes in the company recently.

By contrast the GA population has only ever seen numbers significantly reduced through natural wastage over time - people leaving, retiring or dying and not being replaced - until the last couple years and the foreseeable future where they face redundancies on a scale never seen before in that population in this company's history.

So if there are managers out there looking for 'empathy' from GAs - it ain't happening. It's part of being a manager. Resilience is in their job description, deal with it. I have every sympathy for anyone at any level finding themselves redundant, but if they're expecting people like me to 'empathise' with their exposure to a process that's always happened at Tesco they are living in cloud cuckoo land.

JL

kaled78  I agree and the ones that make the lowest paid/GAs life a misery. The night managers in my store are especially poor they demand respect but don't give any. I really feel sorry for those GAs who want to progress and cannot due to these clowns. Then you have the few decent managers on day shift that get paid the same/less than the clowns. Thankfully most of the good managers are now finding roles outwith Tesco due to the CEOs plans. The rest waiting on the axe to fall as they are unable to put enough effort in to gain a job of similar salary elsewhere.

alf

What a mish mash of odd statements.

Quote from: OvaSees on 07-08-17, 09:07PM
Umm, because managers are responsible for GAs not vice versa, remember?
So?, what has responsibility have to do with empathising with an unfortunate situation

Managers are the ones who we are told should 'inspire' us. It's not our role to inspire them. On what basis do managers expect 'empathy' from any GA?

GA's can't empathise, because, it's not our role to inspire them?, bizarre rational.

Also, restructures of management populations has always happened at Tesco,

Yes restructures, pay changes and redundancies have occurred before (and will again) to both managers and GA's, but what is the relevance, you can't empathise because its happened before?,  do you have some finite number of empathies you give out?

By contrast the GA population has only ever seen numbers significantly reduced through natural wastage over time - people leaving, retiring or dying and not being replaced - until the last couple years and the foreseeable future where they face redundancies on a scale never seen before in that population in this company's history.

You don't need to have suffered the same thing to empathise with a situation.

I have every sympathy for anyone at any level finding themselves redundant, but if they're expecting people like me to 'empathise' with their exposure to a process that's always happened at Tesco they are living in cloud cuckoo land.

You can sympathise, but not empathise, bit odd but ok.

To be quite honest, I don't care if people empathise or not, just pointing out the certain hypocrisy of moaning about not receiving empathy, when those complaining probably didn't give a s*** when the boot was on the other foot. And that statement applies to both managers or GA's, as you can be sure that boot will be alternating quite a bit more.

Arizonarugby

Quote from: bootsdaroff on 07-08-17, 04:18PM
Arizonarugby and lucgeo when us mere mortals lost our double time and our night shift premiums were slashed the managers were not interested because it did not affect them. Usual rhetoric " the show must go on and we are still being paid by Tesco " There isn't even any solidarity between them. They back stab each other to death it's more like the French Revolution. To even associate the word Solidarity with Tesco managers is laughable.
I'm not associating the word solidarity with managers I'm associating it with Tesco as a whole - there isn't any what so ever - Tesco (with the support of UDSAW) careful managed its employees in to sub sections and instilled the Ian alright jack mindset in them . The group...

So when you list your premiums, what did you (as a collective) , what did your non effected colleagues do to support , work to rule, go slow, coordinated days of action across the group.... no you did absolutely nothing but accept the changes as being inevitable ... and yes we could learn a thing or two from the French , their protests are effective because of collaboration

SJS8

Going back to the pay deal of 2016, I remember reading on this site that someone wrote that there where only 8 on the forum who voted for the the Pay deal, when in fact there should of been 12 collogues. Can anyone shed anymore light on this??

JL

optout

@ SJS8

the person with the answers to your questions can be contacted here;

pauline.foulkes@usdaw.org.uk

If you do not receive a reply within a week, contact them again and make them aware that you are a union
member and that you will continue to contact them until you have received an answer.
I AM NOT A REP, BUT......

FatFraz

Too often the managers in my store do not deserve the pay they are on never mind an increase. There are few decent ones left as most have went elsewhere. Now all you get is ones that are not interested and hoping for redundancy.

lackofinterest

they were probably interested once upon a time but tosco drove them to not being interested anymore >:(

usualsuspect

Good luck with contacting Pauline Foulkes, I repeatedly phoned our USDAW office for advice with a disciplinary, and never ever got the promised return phone call.

Tesco lackies , feathering their own nest, so different to reps in the place of work.

US

optout

@usual suspect

I contacted her sometime ago and explained after a week of waiting for a reply, that I would not stand for being brushed off, and that I was a union member and expected a considered reply.

I got my reply.

In my view it is better to contact via E-mail as there is evidence of the correspondence, and do not stand for a non-response. If it goes too far beyond a couple of weeks, then first jog their memories, and then after another week threaten a formal complaint about their failure to provide you with an answer.

One tip is to make your question as unambiguous as possible, and if there is more than one question, number them. and expect the same number of answers as questions posed.

Make them well aware that the issue is not going to go away until you have had a reply.

Be forceful, but not obnoxious, as this gives them the excuse of being intimidated or abused, and they will use this to defend any non-response. :thumbup:
I AM NOT A REP, BUT......

JL

They should have no ST and Line Managers

Shift Leaders should be introduced to do Line Managers & CM accountabilities feeding into the SM direct.

PM should be reduced through natural wastage eventually being ask to take on 1,2,3,4 stores/a group if they want to keep job.

It will be an embarrassing day if Tesco no longer have a single store with a night fill. 

Me2015

So, any other manager had any progress with grievances made against the selective pay rise??  A lot on here have suggested they are going to pursue things further, yet I've heard no comments being made?!

Yes, there are clearly some GA's out there who seem to think that all line managers are to£&era and don't deserve any help/'sympathy' etc etc, I must say, there are a huge amount of GA's that need a good kick up the arse in the same breath! Swings and roundabouts and all that....

Anyways, please comment and give details if you have gone further with the pay award.  I have, stage 2, waiting to hear back now, 7 days seemingly is the wait time.  Will see what happens!

FatFraz

Me2015

You'll have a long wait

TheViking

Quote from: Me2015 on 16-08-17, 10:23PM
So, any other manager had any progress with grievances made against the selective pay rise??  A lot on here have suggested they are going to pursue things further, yet I've heard no comments being made?!

Yes, there are clearly some GA's out there who seem to think that all line managers are to£&era and don't deserve any help/'sympathy' etc etc, I must say, there are a huge amount of GA's that need a good kick up the arse in the same breath! Swings and roundabouts and all that....

Anyways, please comment and give details if you have gone further with the pay award.  I have, stage 2, waiting to hear back now, 7 days seemingly is the wait time.  Will see what happens!

I wish you the best of luck, personally I don't have the energy to bother, loyalty and hard working clearly means very little in this business anymore. Keep your head down, do you job and look for something better, or that payoff which surely will come.

Teddybonkers

ME2015

Don't waste your time mate. Management have already decided your not worth a pay rise - just forget it  :-X

Me2015

Teddybonkers

Yeah I get that, really understanding my worth to the firm lately, which is pretty much feck all!  It's not really about not getting a pay rise anymore to be honest, it's me, after many many years Service, now taking a stand against the onslaught of high level decisions that are affecting everyone, from the shelf fillers to the line managers. 

I fully believe they expect everyone to just accept what has been handed down, or to do something about it!  My own opinion is they are trying to weed out the older 'more expensive' managers through this constant barrage of stripping out pay and benefits, so we other jack it in, where they can get new guys in and much lower cost to the bottom line; well I am not going to let that happen!!  By the sounds of it, I'm in a minority, but rest assured I have taken a bite and I am not letting go until I get the response I want, and deserve!!

ctid

Tired of being taken for a mug, I no longer do duty, it's not part of my job and it's been made clear that my role is only worth what they set it at. Additionally i take my early finish, when it's pointed out that my contract is for a minimum number of hours I point out the hourly rate on my pay slip, also that my contract calls for extra hours when needed, this cannot be every week, however if they want to test it at a tribunal I'm happy to oblige. Anybody remember super Sundays, when you'd go in for free to get the store right for trading at peak times, anybody remember the goodwill you used to show towards the company. These are the things that will never return because of the way the business has treated all its staff regardless of what level.   Can't wait until they try to force managers onto 5\7 contacts next year.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk