News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

29-03-24, 02:43PM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,129
  • Total Topics: 630
  • Online today: 471
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 409
Total: 410

Picker performance

Started by Lurker21, 15-01-20, 08:19PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lurker21

Is it just me or are pickers performances being reviewed so that they can get rid of people?

NightAndDay

It's a risky maneuveure, a decision where they arbitrarily performance manage pickers to avoid paying redundancy would have to be consulted with by the legal team. An employment tribunal would justifiably scrutinise the arbitrary nature of the performance reviews and most likely award the claimant for unfair dismissal, this would also likely be affected if there were grievances not only about the arbitrary nature of the performance reviews but also requests for capability assessments on the role being refused.

Miremare

I've found pick rates for personal shoppers to be achievable.

The figure is for the team to achieve, in the team there will be people over the target, on the line and some under.  As long as the team are trying there their best, the team manager can stand by the team figure.

however, if there is lots of talking on pick or people just don't like the dot com way of life.  This can cause problems and really annoy others in store who are working hard.

The main thing to find out if pick rates are not being met are to find out:-
What's in the way of the pick rate.
Listen to the shopper and work with them.

Ford Torino

As a member of backroom staff, I actually find Team 5 mostly directed to the pickers to be entertaining comedy - although I'm sure I wouldn't find it as funny if I was a picker myself. Today there was the usual rubbish. A reminder that pick rate will shortly be going up / some people can't even achieve it now / you will be managed if you don't achieve targets / this isn't me, it's the company spiel. Then a minute later, it was pointed out that there had been a few accidents in the store recently. So if you see a spillage, deal with it. They said "I know you're under pressure and you have pick rates..." and then the sentence seemed to fizzle out, almost as if they didn't have any easy solution to this anomaly.

So as things stand, if your trolley takes you to where there's been a spillage, you are potentially more likely to lose your job than if your route is spillage-free. I'd like to see how that stands up at an unfair dismissal claim.

Happy picking!

NightAndDay

This would also be counterproductive the the goals of management, managing more people out of the business by increasing an already unrealistic target will increase staff turnover, Tesco isn't the desirable place to work it once was, they will eventually face increasingly more challenging recruitment operations another consequence of this would be a drop in employee quality and retention, they have to balance needs of the business with sustainable work environment.

grim up north

I think you just described distribution

Zx81

While theres a pandemic on I'm surprised there are any pick rates as social distancing needs to be adhered to, if you are being forced to break the rules for a pick rate I imagine the authorities would have something to say about it.

kaled78

the pickers in my store who blamed low pick rates on social distancing,were told they had to wear a mask and get on with it,by the .com manager

BarryZola

Obviously you'd just have a meeting and get the notes/discussion written down and then signed by the manager. Then you'd go to the local papers and explain how your store is helping to escalate the spread of Coronavirus in your area because your manager wants you to put some items in a trolley a little bit faster. Not sure why this is even a discussion, especially in the current climate. Tell 'em to jog on.

Tossgo

Our pick rate has now been raised back to the level it was pre covid.
During lockdown pick rate was lowered due to distancing etc,

How can the company move the pick rate back to pre covid levels when pickers still should be following pretty much the same distancing guidelines they always should have been doing during lockdown.
The company have stated themselves that wearing a mask and ppe does not mean you don’t follow distancing guidelines.
Having to wait at the end of an isle for customers to move is still a daily occurrence so how can people be disaplined regarding pick rate

lucgeo

Just carry on as usual...do not put yourself at risk, all the team should be sticking to the reduced picking rate. Let the manager try to discipline the whole team...for ignoring the distancing rules, refusing to put their own, and their customers wellbeing in jeopardy all to achieve a picking rate, placed by some ignorant no mark in Head Office.

Ask for a let's talk with your manager, state in that meeting you are not prepared to ignore social distancing in an effort to achieve the increased picking rate, which you feel can mostly only be met by doing so, therefore you feel it is an unreasonable request. Should the manager state it can be achieved whilst maintaining the social distancing rules, ask for that statement in writing. Openly take notes of the meeting and what was said...date, time, location and manager name clearly written at the top of the page. You cannot be denied the right to make notes during the meeting, as these are for your own future reference.
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

dotnochance

Ours has gone back up a couple of points higher than pre Covid, and we have those shitty Tray liners and social distancing, head office are clueless

kaled78

Do you put your own tray liners on the trays, or does the person who sets up the trolleys do it for you?, I'm curious as to what other stores do.

Siwel123

We do our own tray liners. But we don't scan the trays and start the pick rate timer thing til we've done that, that way our pick rate isn't affected by having to sort them out.

gomezz

I was wondering about who does the tray liners now some customers pay for them and some choose not to pay to have them.  Must be more fiddly than just doing them all by default.  Us drivers like the tray liners as do many customers and think it is reckless to go back to bagless.  Remember the pickers too may be handling trays previously handled by customers in isolation some of whom may actually be infected.  The drivers have neither the time nor the facilities to re-sanitise every tray every time.
"The progress of the kart is more important than its direction"

dotnochance

We put the liners into trays, but we have to scan labels and scan out, then put tray liner in!  so putting the liners in make the pick rate even worse.

Welshie

As a customer, I love the tray liners , it makes the doorstep delivery much quicker and simpler . I know it's not very environmentally friendly and I'm sure it's a pain for pickers .

spike_pkh

Quote from: Lurker21 on 15-01-20, 08:19PM
Is it just me or are pickers performances being reviewed so that they can get rid of people?

Its just you.

Pick rates are managed ti get you to work to the level required that you are being paid for.. it aint hard to achieve

NightAndDay

It's store dependent, some stores are easier than others, a business requirements analysis wouldn't have been done for each store and also wouldn't have taken current legislation and guidelines around Coronavirus social distancing into consideration. If an SYP plan was dished out to a colleague failing to meet the pick rate, he/she would be well within their right to grievance saying the plan is unreasonable and not feasible in light of current circumstances, remember the disciplinary process is a double edged sword, it needs to be done impartially, fairly and logically, otherwise it's the managers that will get a spanking if a judge deems that they've failed to meet ACASs minimum requirements for disciplinary and investigations and if they deem the disciplinaries not only disproportionate but illogical, it's not the first time this has happened.

dotnochance

2 stores on my area same pick rate, one store is twice as big as the other

dotnochance

God Tesco head office are a joke, my store is extremely large superstore, and our pick is 163! (before Covid and bagless it was 158)  It’s way to high for the size of the store and for the numbers of customers.our manager has been practically begging head office to look at it, example last Wednesday we had 62 pickers, and only 3 managed to get pick rate. I’m sure some people on here will go “lol I get +200 on ever trolly” And I’m sure if our store had no customers/staff we could probably easily meet pick. Guy came in and looked at system and our new pick rate is now 162....... fantastic.

Biscuits

Before covid, and picking completely bagless we were 181. Now we’re 193, it’s impossible, most of us picking in amber, the minute we have to look up inform, or if something is mapped wrongly it sends you straight in to the red.

Paupers wage

Higher pick rate than pre Covid, yet “environmentally”  friendly tray liners now used and going to toilet included in pick time, how good of Tesco’s to make the working conditions ever worse, not a career for the more senior colleagues, best left to the young

lucgeo

Unless you're desperate, can you not go to the toilet between picks, without being timed?

Are you suggesting that senior colleagues (as in age, not status) are either incontinent, or too old to keep pace ???
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

NightAndDay

I think there could be a legal challenge in that other roles don't have the need and human right to go to the toilet penalise their performance, at the very least as significantly as pickers are.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk