News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

28-03-24, 02:51PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,115
  • Total Topics: 630
  • Online today: 316
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 296
Total: 298

Physical attacks/threats on staff.

Started by fatty, 04-11-07, 03:17AM

Previous topic - Next topic

penguin

Quotehttps://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/burton/live-tesco-swadlincote-police-incident-2469824

A man was physically assaulted during a G4s collection robbery this lunchtime according to local news reports.

Hopefully the victim will make a full recovery both physically and mentally.
Do not let anyone tell you there is not a decent job and life beyond Tesco.

Nomad

https://www.greenocktelegraph.co.uk/news/17425723.tesco-delivery-driver-is-assaulted-in-greenock/

QuoteA TESCO delivery driver was assaulted in Greenock yesterday afternoon.
The shocking incident happened at 3.30pm in Larkfield.
Greenock CID unit say the 44-year-old driver was approached by a man who demanded the contents of the van before throwing an item at the driver.
Nomad ( Forum Admin )
It's better to be up in arms than down on your knees.

Nomad

https://www.gloucestershirelive.co.uk/news/cheltenham-news/police-speak-to-boy-14-2534380

QuotePolice 'speak to' boy, 14, after female Tesco worker left with facial injuries in Bishop's Cleeve car park attack
Nomad ( Forum Admin )

Viking80

I know for a fact that all cordant guards are not trained correctly and have no idea how to log incidents on the security system. So head office look at the amount of incidents in each store and think nothing is happening so cut the budget.  If we were to go back to Tesco guards it would all get logged all the guards would be trained correctly and theft would lower because the guards would have more to lose.

security guard

I was a cordant guard and was more than able to use any system in Tosca.  I reported all and any incident as it was beneficial not only to the store but made sure I would not be at risk of losing job/hours.  Part of the problem will be have they been given a log in for to report incidents.

I used the CCTV system in the store to a high standard but it was a great system which I had to learn by myself.  It could generate reports access till transactions instantly show issues to action.  I got to know system better than any manager in store.   

That system is now lying under utilised as I was removed from store for protecting my self. After being attacked for stopping a shoplifter with over £100 worth of goods as according to manager,  it didn't look good for store.

Now I've left theft has skyrocketed as although I tried to be friendly it was known you will get caught if you steal in "my store" maybe not first time but I will get you and I had a great record. 

So please don't tar all cordant guards with same brush as some of us do take pride in the job we do or in my case did. 

Dante

Hi I'm looking for some advice I start at 6am, this morning I arrived at work using the staff entrance around the back of store using a fire escape there was no security there which is usual to let me in, the door bell is broken you have to ring duty to let you in.

The entrance is at the side of a railway station and this morning I was stood waiting for 10 mins banging on the door as I hadn't got my phone with me to ring duty.  On the railways station were around 2/3 males very intoxicated/drugged up with a large dog off its lead. They saw me and ran across the tracks and started hurling abuse at me calling me Tesco s*** and one said something to his dog and it ran growling towards me at this point duty turned up and let me in thankfully (I was attacked several years ago by a group of 5 dogs and this shook me up really badly) the security guard who was sat in his car as it turns out the whole time was reluctant to ring the police he eventually did I spoke to them and subsequently the transport police and it is being investigated.

This whole incident shook me up I worked for a couple of hours but suffered after shock whatever you want to call it and was feeling very sick about the whole thing I spoke to duty as said it's really not me had I think it was the dog coming for me that's shook me up I feel I need to go home my anxiety has kicked in, I was asked if I would be making the time back or taking it as sick, I then asked surely you have a duty of care why should I make time up or take it as sick was told to speak to union who said it didn't happen on Tesco property and It was before your shift started I said I'm pretty sure it's policy that travelling too and from your place of work you have a duty of care and I was on Tesco property I was on the fire escape and if security had been there I would have been let in straight away and wouldn't have felt threatened by the men or the dog. I was told they weren't sure and walked off.

I have rang the union who have told me that someone at some point will ring me back but a couple of members of staff have said it is in the staff handbook about travelling to and from work and I should be paid for my full shift not make the time up or take it as sick any advice would be welcomed thanks

lucgeo

Immediately, ask for any CCTV footage that covers that entrance and surrounding area, before it gets "lost"

If the transport police are investigating then they will be requiring any footage also...have you been given an incident report number from them?

Your reps response is laughable, it didn't happen on tesco property  :D So the entrance door is in no mans land and you only stand on tesco property once you step over the threshold ??? :D  your start of shift is when you arrive in your department, en route to that department requires you to have entered and clocked in, which makes them liable as you are on tesco property.

Make a note of all conversations with whoever, times, dates, names etc.....

The manager showed a great lack of judgement and empathy, by asking your intentions regarding going home....your absence does need to be coded, but as you had already worked part of your shift ( there is a time % of how much you worked to pay the whole shift) the incident, the ongoing investigation, all obviously affecting your mental health, should have acted on the side of caution and sought advice from senior team after you'd left.

Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

NightAndDay

Property ownership usually include 1 meter outside of the physical structure, she was definitely on premises based on her post.

DefyTheRighteous

Are the majority of these assaults reported through managers or security operations support at any time? I thought by calling SOS directly that it would be taken seriously but judging by these posts assaults are treated as if they are nothing?

Nomad

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/news/leicester-news/drunk-wheeled-bike-tesco-express-2766964

QuoteA drunk who wheeled his bicycle into a Leicester Tesco Express to buy a loaf of bread attacked a cashier who had asked him to leave it outside.

Father-of-11 Neal Mansel, who already had 173 previous offences on his record, entered the Granby Street branch of the supermarket with his bicycle and the male member of staff behind the tills asked him to leave the bike outside.

173  :o WTF is he doing out on the streets  >:(
Nomad ( Forum Admin )

tick tock

[gmod]Please do not quote immediately prior post(s).[/gmod]

11 kids that's about a slice each and the two back ends for mum n dad.

VladPutin

Quote from: Nomad on 20-04-19, 10:25PM
https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/news/leicester-news/drunk-wheeled-bike-tesco-express-2766964

QuoteA drunk who wheeled his bicycle into a Leicester Tesco Express to buy a loaf of bread attacked a cashier who had asked him to leave it outside.

Father-of-11 Neal Mansel, who already had 173 previous offences on his record, entered the Granby Street branch of the supermarket with his bicycle and the male member of staff behind the tills asked him to leave the bike outside.

173  :o WTF is he doing out on the streets  >:(

Because our so-called, "justice system" is a pathetic joke. The police are only good for standing guard at Westminster - got to keep the, "important people" safe, right? - and investigating anyone who uses nasty words on Facebook or Twitter. The judges are so out of touch they couldn't make contact with reality even by shouting loudly and hitting it with a long stick. And the prisons are little more than hotels for criminals. The staff have long ago given up any attempt to control them. Drug abuse and violence is rife.

Almost 90% of recorded crimes in England and Wales do not result in a conviction. And even if you're unlucky enough to be caught, you won't serve more than half your sentence before the idiots on the parole board who believe in garbage like, "rehabilitation" let you out to commit even more crimes.

Makes you proud to be British... >:(

Nomad

I would not entirely disagree with you.
Nomad ( Forum Admin )

Nomad

Middlesbrough Tesco worker died after altercation with thief

QuoteA Tesco worker collapsed and died after an altercation with a shoplifter, an inquest has heard.

Hilary Simmons, 59, was taken ill at a Tesco Express store on Corporation Road in Middlesbrough on 30 April 2018.

A pathologist concluded the stress of the confrontation "directly contributed to her death", but not to a criminal standard.

A post-mortem exam found she was suffering from heart disease which could have caused death at any time.

Obviously a lady who lived by the old values of right and wrong, R.I.P.
Nomad ( Forum Admin )

NightAndDay

Would this count as death in service, would be nice to know if her next of kin gets a payout, especially seeing as Tesco was a bit negligent in not having a guard in the first place.

lucgeo

Indeed it will count as death in service, as set in agreed T&C's contract, and Tesco will pay it as it won't count as accepting responsibility ...that is something the family may look into at a later date.

Nomad

Teenage employee has face smashed into wall at Buckshaw Village Tesco

QuoteLancashire Constabulary is on the lookout for a woman after a Tesco worker was assaulted in September.

On Saturday, September 21, at around 10.45pm, a man and a woman entered the Tesco store on Barnes Wallis Way in Buckshaw Village, near Chorley.

A 19-year-old Tesco worker refused to sell them both alcohol and was subsequently set upon.

The teenage employee had her hair pulled and face slammed against a partition wall.

Nice people  >:(
Nomad ( Forum Admin )

Nomad

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/tesco-express-armed-robbery-sale-17145641

QuoteA robber threatened Tesco staff with a handgun before fleeing with a quantity of cash.

The man entered the supermarket, on Green Lane, in Ashton-upon-Mersey, Sale, brandishing the firearm.

He made threats to staff and then ran away from the store with the stolen money.

Nobody was injured, but the Tesco workers have been left shaken.
Nomad ( Forum Admin )

J0097

Hi I am having a issue at work.

I currently fell of a ladder while painting at home and hurt my back i called the Duty Line (Tesco) to let them know that i have hurt my back and will require support as i am on grocery i am unable to bend and stretch the first week counted as self certified however my manager asked me to bring in a sick note saying i am unable to carry out my normal duties if i was going to ask for support after the first week so i brought in a sick note from the doctor stating that i need amended duties to carry out my work and that i should not be bending and stretching the
2nd week she put me on the checkouts
3rd week i was off sick because of the pain from my back
4th week i came back to work and i was put on label changing PI

my manager then pulled me into a meeting stating that she can no longer support me even though i have a sick not to state i can not do any bending and stretching in my job she also said that from this point on i am not allowed to do any over time i would just like to know weather this is true?
i mentioned to my manager that i will do overtime on checkouts as it does not involve bending and stretching and she was like you cannot do it

Am i allowed to do over time even if my store is supporting me with my back?
The thing is i feel bullied and harassed by my manager i never do overtime in my store as i don't like doing at my store because my manager makes my life hard and constantly picks on me she has stopped my overtime as she doesn't like the fact that i am not helping out on my department grocery because i have a bad back and that instead i am on the checkouts or something different as a result of this she is trying to stop me from doing overtime and trying to get me to work on grocery.

Hammer10

If it was me I would challenge her why you were being bullied as it is not acceptable in this day and age or if you are not comfortable with that speak to her manager.

Long gone

Quote from: J0097 on 04-11-19, 04:54PM

I currently fell of a ladder while painting at home and hurt my back i called the Duty Line (Tesco) to let them know that i have hurt my back and will require support as i am on grocery i am unable to bend and stretch the first week counted as self certified however my manager asked me to bring in a sick note saying i am unable to carry out my normal duties if i was going to ask for support after the first week so i brought in a sick note from the doctor stating that i need amended duties to carry out my work and that i should not be bending and stretching the

my manager then pulled me into a meeting stating that she can no longer support me even though i have a sick not to state i can not do any bending and stretching in my job she also said that from this point on i am not allowed to do any over time i would just like to know weather this is true?
i mentioned to my manager that i will do overtime on checkouts as it does not involve bending and stretching and she was like you cannot do it

The thing is i feel bullied and harassed by my manager i never do overtime in my store as i don't like doing at my store because my manager makes my life hard and constantly picks on me she has stopped my overtime as she doesn't like the fact that i am not helping out on my department grocery because i have a bad back and that instead i am on the checkouts or something different as a result of this she is trying to stop me from doing overtime and trying to get me to work on grocery.

You could put in a grievance for this. Your manager has to support you because you have a doctors note. This is a case of managers thinking they are of higher status than a doctor and know best when they don't. A guy in our store broke his hand but they placed him on the checkouts and made him work his normal hours that he would normally do in a week with the occasional late shift or 10-7 shift thrown in. I can't see why they can't just put you on a checkout and then move you back on to grocery once your doctor clears you and states you can lift and bend again. I'm regards to overtime I'd just want sent to do the hours I could and rest up

NightAndDay

This counts as disability discrimination and is protected under the equality act (I believe disability discrimination is one of the judgements that carry unlimited compensation), follow the grievance process so you can try to accurately document that you are being refused overtime purely because of your bad back and that they can't support you, The PM should be advised by General Counsel that the duty manager in question is treading in dangerous murky legal waters, the PM should uphold your grievance and suitably discipline the manager.

lucgeo

Err...not really, as you're on a support plan, then any overtime, regardless of the department and job type, would be viewed as not supporting your attendance, as they are.

NightAndDay

Obviously there is needs of the business, but if checkout overtime is available, then he can't be denied the overtime just because of his temporary disability, it's a different kettle of fish if the only overtime available requires him to bend.

J0097

Quote from: NightAndDay on 04-11-19, 05:44PM

This counts as disability discrimination and is protected under the equality act (I believe disability discrimination is one of the judgements that carry unlimited compensation), follow the grievance process so you can try to accurately document that you are being refused overtime purely because of your bad back and that they can't support you, The PM should be advised by General Counsel that the duty manager in question is treading in dangerous murky legal waters, the PM should uphold your grievance and suitably discipline the manager.

Thank you so much I am going to put in a grievance against my manager for not supporting me and for dicrinimating against me could you please tell me what this ACT is so that i can write up a letter and hand it it

Thank You

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk