News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

28-03-24, 10:56AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,115
  • Total Topics: 630
  • Online today: 316
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 4
Guests: 298
Total: 302

Job losses.

Started by Nomad, 07-04-09, 07:22PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baker4life

What I will miss the most is the banter. Been full time baker for over 15 years with young family. The temptation to secure a job even less hours would be too easy. If I get offered close to 20k I would be mad to turn it down

T2019sackallmanagers

You will find banter elsewhere without the s*** management of tesco enforcing you. Take the redundancy and have a try at something else in life. It's never too late and the job market is buoyont at the moment.

Baker4life

Cheers T2019 I'm thinking I won't get another chance to get s decent redundancy out of them

Bakersdozen

Baker4life   it's rubbish to be in this situation, we all know as bakers as much as cutting the browns/hotplate makes perfect sense Just look at the month these changes come into effect. MAY,  just as the weather pics up and the bbqs come out...

The powers that be have these grand fool proof ideas to cut costs yet when customers can't trust their local Tesco for there bbq rolls it's also Meat,beer/cider sales that will take a hit When they skip Tesco and go to Morrison's ECT... we make 20+ racks of white roll fri/sat/Sun over hot weekends and still struggle to keep the shelves full.

I predict alot of bakers will leave, because we are a stubborn long serving breed. s*** hitting the fan in the 6 months after the changes, then if bakers rate is still the same go to your local stores and you'll be calling the shots on hours/days you want (That's if you haven't found something better in the mean time)  it will also be Xmas time they will be desperate.

I found out today they will work our heatmap hours out on the lowest week's sales from the previous year, including the cuts they will 'think' the browns take to produce/bake this could be a very small amount of what on average is needed. I dread to think on Easter weeks/xmas/ summer weekends what the shelves are going to look like. Not to mention the workload and stress on the poor sods who are left. If they're "up skilling" GA's to fill these duties they will run a mile when they have to work there socks off to keep up with demand.

Baker4life

Bakersdozen it is totally cra# how we get treated. Yes us bakers are a stubborn lot because we know what we are worth. Our skill I feel has always been undervalued as bakers. You know as much as me, unless you have worked in a bakery (scratch) not the dogs dinner bake off then you havnt got a scooby doo how we work and what is involved.

Baker4life

Our bakery going full bake off. So no chance of me going back after 6 months when they can get Micky Mouse and Dumbo to put the high quality products in the oven

Samuel137

20+ racks of soft roll over 3 days is insane!

Quote from: Bakersdozen on 28-02-20, 09:55PM
we make 20+ racks of white roll fri/sat/Sun over hot weekends and still struggle to keep the shelves full.

flour technician

Get out while and if you can. If you think tesco is bad then I can tell you it's just as bad if not worse at the other supermarkets. In a few months time you will all wished you'd have taken redundancy. It will get worse. These clowns at head office haven't a clue. I was a bakery team leader and got out 5 years ago. I work for them for 32 years. Honestly best decision I ever made. I feel sorry for all the bakery staff as I know how hard and committed you all are to your jobs. It will change again and again and you would then wish you would have taken that lump sum and got out of this sinking ship

Bakersdozen

Quote from: Samuel137 on 28-02-20, 11:19PM
20+ racks of soft roll over 3 days is insane!

we make 20+ racks of white roll fri/sat/Sun over hot weekends and still struggle to keep the shelves full.
that's per day mate... we can shift tons when it's hot

Tom Hardy

I predict alot of bakers will leave, because we are a stubborn long serving breed. s*** hitting the fan in the 6 months after the changes, then if bakers rate is still the same go to your local stores and you'll be calling the shots on hours/days you want (That's if you haven't found something better in the mean time)  it will also be Xmas time they will be desperate.

Good luck with that  :D but I don't think they will be begging for you back.

lucgeo

8-) that's right mate! Kick em in the teeth while they're down! Feel better for that do you?? God forbid anyone should have any feeling of self worth while you're around eh?
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

Tom Hardy

Not at all just being realistic.

Also everyone saying "Take the money" " Get out while you can" is great if you can find a job straight away but a lot of people who took redundancy at the same time I did in 2017 are still struggling.

Even more so those who were older.

I wish them all luck  :thumbup:

Bakersdozen

Quote from: Tom Hardy on 29-02-20, 10:37AM

With all due respect, with my 14 years experience in the bakery and I'm very confindent other bakers would agree.

Good decent bakers don't just appear once Tesco put jobs up on the website, and to train them up to a good decent standard takes a long time and investment.

It's not and without being rude a job where anyone can fill overnight as with most Tesco GA roles. So please don't take my comment as being cocky. I do back myself as a damn good baker, who can not only produce top quality products but plenty of them.

Put me on a roll machine and I can produce/bake 20 racks of roll per day.
Likewise I can produce a slow of 20+ bags per day. That's a bloody good return of product  to wage ratio. You may as a company train new bakers to fit the contracts that suit you, but having that quality/quantity takes experience and time to achieve.

If Tesco is not carefull in this they could do so much damage. The LFL in most bakerys especially the profitable ones could be very comical and leave egg on the face of the big players calling the shots.

Baker4life

Bakersdozen you took the words out of my mouth

Hammer10

Very true not only the roll how about your hot cross they are a night mare to get right without the experience especially as you only make them for a few months a year .

T2019sackallmanagers

Quote from: Bakersdozen on 29-02-20, 12:45PM

With all due respect, with my 14 years experience in the bakery and I'm very confindent other bakers would agree.

Good decent bakers don't just appear once Tesco put jobs up on the website, and to train them up to a good decent standard takes a long time and investment.

It's not and without being rude a job where anyone can fill overnight as with most Tesco GA roles. So please don't take my comment as being cocky. I do back myself as a damn good baker, who can not only produce top quality products but plenty of them.

Likewise I can produce a slow of 20+ bags per day. That's a bloody good return of product  to wage ratio. You may as a company train new bakers to fit the contracts that suit you, but having that quality/quantity takes experience and time to achieve.

If Tesco is not carefull in this they could do so much damage. The LFL in most bakerys especially the profitable ones could be very comical and leave egg on the face of the big players calling the shots.
Maybe so, but most stores bakeries run at a loss hence the decision to mothball them the way of the chicken counters.

Your argument doesn't carry well, as you say "anyone can fill overnight" same rule applies to every job role. There are more efficient staff than others in every role within tesco, fact! There are many GA's that can fill a cage in 20 mins, to others that would take 60 mins, same as on tills and every other department. You're not special regardless of how many rolls you can bake, a machine can do it tenfold more than you will ever do and at a fraction of the cost. Take the redundancy, don't ever look back and take a job where you'll enjoy it without the stress.

Bakersdozen

I don't tend to come on here alot, I find it sad the amount of bitter and twisted FORMER employees on here that have nothing better to do than bit** about Tesco/managers. Yet also say the "grass is greener"  "best thing I done" ect, yet you're on this website still  ???

I think overall Tesco has been a great place to work, I do think it's gone down hill for staff moral since Dave Lewis took the helm but I also understand that tough changes are needed. The problem I find is that the directors conjure up these grand ideas with areas to target in the sector/cut back that look great on paper but once in practice flop. Look at Jack's for example.

They have a hard job turning this company around no doubt,i just feel like some of their decisions aren't thought through enough with ground floor level thinking, with the staff on the tools everyday.

When have we ever had a questionnaire where we think the company needs to improve to compete or cut ECT. Because after all there are alot of staff who also count towards that normal market of customers and what we like/dislike and look for with our own shopping experiance.

T2019sackallmanagers

Quote from: Bakersdozen on 29-02-20, 01:54PM
I don't tend to come on here alot, I find it sad the amount of bitter and twisted FORMER employees on here that have nothing better to do than bit** about Tesco/managers. Yet also say the "grass is greener"  "best thing I done" ect, yet you're on this website still  ???

I think overall Tesco has been a great place to work, I do think it's gone down hill for staff moral since Dave Lewis took the helm but I also understand that tough changes are needed. The problem I find is that the directors conjure up these grand ideas with areas to target in the sector/cut back that look great on paper but once in practice flop. Look at Jack's for example.

They have a hard job turning this company around no doubt,i just feel like some of their decisions aren't thought through enough with ground floor level thinking, with the staff on the tools everyday.

When have we ever had a questionnaire where we think the company needs to improve to compete or cut ECT. Because after all there are alot of staff who also count towards that normal market of customers and what we like/dislike and look for with our own shopping experiance.
You will be a former employee yourself before long, unless you haven't the balls?
So that being said why are hou still on here?

Bakersdozen

Quote from: T2019sackallmanagers on 29-02-20, 01:41PM
Quote from: Bakersdozen on 29-02-20, 12:45PM

Maybe so, but most stores bakeries run at a loss hence the decision to mothball them the way of the chicken counters.

Your argument doesn't carry well, as you say "anyone can fill overnight" same rule applies to every job role. There are more efficient staff than others in every role within tesco, fact! There are many GA's that can fill a cage in 20 mins, to others that would take 60 mins, same as on tills and every other department. You're not special regardless of how many rolls you can bake, a machine can do it tenfold more than you will ever do and at a fraction of the cost. Take the redundancy, don't ever look back and take a job where you'll enjoy it without the stress.

Lol.. "a machine Can do it tenfold" you plonker a machine is what we use to produce the roll. It's all the variables that apply with producing the quality/quantity . The right amount of water/yeast what moulding speed/settings to use. The perfect time to prove the product up enough/ baking times. If you have substandard products from a rubbish baker then the sales from said products won't be as good/more waste. These variables take years to learn.

The problem is with alot of bakeries is the money is there to be taken it's just the team isn't strong enough to produce said quality/quantity.

This is usually because the powers that be will chuck a normal department manager into the bakery who doesn't have a clue what he can expect from his team in terms of quality/quantity. Our Bakery is a leading bakery for sales and quality in our area purely because we've had the same manager for 16 years who knows his stuff and knows when standards aren't up to scratch or a baker isn't pulling thier weight with production amounts.

If you don't have that knowledge at the top bakers can get away with murder and slack to the high heavens without their manager pulling them up.

It is really that straight forward with most failing bakeries I can guarantee experienced  bakers who are reading this and 100% agree.

Hammer10

Totally agree.

Bakersdozen

Quote from: Hammer10 on 29-02-20, 02:40PM
Totally agree.
Spot on with your comment about the hot-x it takes me a week to remember all my little tricks to get them top spec  ;D  I made 18 racks good Friday last year. yet the only thing i remembered was how sick of them I was  ;D

I really hope they don't ruin bakeries with these changes. The offer of freshly baked breads & rolls shouldn't be over looked lightly. I mean who can deny how appetizing the smell of freshly baked bread/hot-x is when you walk into a store.

That subconsciously adds so much to a shopping experience not to mention the increase in sales from getting the customers hungry  :D 8)

BakerBum

Quote from: Bakersdozen on 29-02-20, 02:20PM

It is really that straight forward with most failing bakeries I can guarantee experienced  bakers who are reading this and 100% agree.

i agree.. i work in one that had some real machines for blokes lol we were doing over double money less than 10 years ago ... standards have fallen and experience is gone, im defeated and i give up, i cant chase c**p staff around all day trying to plug the gaps and c**p they produce .im tired, its exhausting ...  on a fun note though, managers that don't have a clue are always fun  :P

Bakersdozen

Quote from: BakerBum on 29-02-20, 03:10PM
Quote from: Bakersdozen on 29-02-20, 02:20PM

i agree.. i work in one that had some real machines for blokes lol we were doing over double money less than 10 years ago ... standards have fallen and experience is gone, im defeated and i give up, i cant chase c**p staff around all day trying to plug the gaps and c**p they produce .im tired, its exhausting ...  on a fun note though, managers that don't have a clue are always fun  :P

;D ;D ;D

Zlatan_is_a_red

I apologise for hijacking thd post but there is rumours that click and collect pods are going to be unmanned in a trail. Anyone else heard this?

Baker4life

No not heard that one yet....right back to the poor bakery staff up for redundancy !!!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk