Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

28-03-24, 05:45PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,116
  • Total Topics: 630
  • Online today: 322
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 4
Guests: 287
Total: 291

Sunday premium down to time and a quarter.

Started by Undercover1, 26-05-18, 12:21PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dotnochance

is anyone on yammer? and is there any posts about sunday pay from staff

his scots tie

Lots on there complaining about having to take a five month pay cut and asking why without any payment.Reply is to put booklet up and say earnings have gone up last 2 years so no need for payment

sfo

Quote from: roughyedspud on 17-07-18, 05:04AM
Has anyone received new contracts yet?...
had mine shoved in front me for the fourth time this morning and ordered to sign _-. Again I refused as I'm not signing a contract that says I will be paid £16 per week Les than my last contract states,. The manager said if I don't signing will be dismissed , she sent me home and  i said that I would look forward to receiving a letter. As I was walking out she called me back a few did a "let's talk". She then wrote down thereason for not signing and said I can carry on working. My big mistake was to not carry on walking

dotnochance

Quote from: his scots tie on 17-07-18, 01:27PM
Lots on there complaining about having to take a five month pay cut and asking why without any payment.Reply is to put booklet up and say earnings have gone up last 2 years so no need for payment
Doesn't matter if its gone up in last 2 years from last contract to newone its gone down, for some/a lot, dont sign new contracts till your compensated for loss

sfo

Absolutely and remember they can't sack you for not signing . Manager told me that I was the only person in a building of 500 staff that had this problem. I know different but a lot of people got bumped into signing

his scots tie

It hasnt gone down in the years given as examples in the book.12 months pay from nov17 to nov18,and 12 months pay from nov 18 to nov 19 HAS INCREEASED both times compared to previous 12 months.Not by much ,granted in fact a full time GA in nov 18 will. Be earning £1 per month more than nov 17.Will have a five month pay cut and no compensation.Disgracefull Tesco.

his scots tie

There not getting you to sign a contract in july,they will wait till november .That was posted on yammer

dotnochance

Quote from: his scots tie on 17-07-18, 01:54PM
There not getting you to sign a contract in july,they will wait till november .That was posted on yammer
Wonder why.....

Loki

Never in my working life have I known such a so called pay deal to not only be implemented in such an underhanded way, but also agreed and endorsed by a Union that claims to represent its members.

To give a rise, then to deduct, then to give back more at first glance may seem chaotic. However, it is by no means chaotic! It was carefully thought through by the company, including the calculations for a " cushion payment" and the reference period on which it is based on.

To even suggest that the National Forum members were hoodwinked by this would be preposterous. The so called negotiations  were extended again and again. They knew full well what it entailed. The Union Officials who oversaw these negotiations undoubtedly steered these reps in the direction to which we now face today.

They knew full well that this was going to happen. The ambiguity of the correspondence delivered to reps in June is a disgrace. The fact that the booklets were distributed amongst colleagues prior to reps being briefed was a disgrace. The Union's reaction to this was an act of being surprised and of disgust, claiming they confronted the echelons of the Company stating " don't do it again".

Who are they trying to kid here? Not to mention the way in which the booklet is set out.

The legality of this pay deal may very well be above board, of that I am certain due to the current collective bargaining process that we are all bound by contractually. Not only that, but the loophole both the company AND Usdaw have created to minimise the amount of cushion payments made also seem legal. This is simply due to the fact that they have made it a 2 year deal where basic pay increases in increments, with a loss in premium at a period where it is later followed by a last incremental increase in basic pay. Despite the overall increase over the 2 year period, there is obviously a temporary loss within that period prior to a final increase.

Their get out clause.... after all increases etc have been implemented, affected individuals who have received an overall loss in income would receive this cushion payment. The method used to calculate this is fudged to say the least.

It's an absolute disgrace. There is nothing transparent about it. It's smoke and mirrors and Usdaw have finally demonstrated their calculated betrayal of its members. They are not inept! They knew exactly what they were doing when endorsing this totally and utterly immoral deal thinking that they are safe due to the amount of unaffected members far outweighing that of the affected ones.

They're prepared for a decrease in membership and calculate that recruiting new employees on flexi contracts will mitigate some if not all that loss. It's a numbers game to them too. A willingness to sacrifice members for what they see as a long term gain. No different to Tesco who think in an almost identical fashion when losing long term staff.

It's outrageous and they have once again demonstrated their multicoloured stained coat.
When all else fails, madness is the emergency exit.

Paulie

The way Tesco has gone about it has been so shady, I will not spend another penny in this company and I will slow down to a level where i won't  have a knock effect to other colleagues, but will not be pushing the extra mile. No bank holidays and a couple of weeks extra holiday a year(sick).

Hammer10

They will get theirs it might take a while but it's coming .

Beverley

Quote from: lackofinterest on 17-07-18, 10:19AM
and you really think he'll give a s***???
To be blunt, no he won't! I wrote to him last time and got the usual response from his secretary that it was in the interest of the company. Twenty seven years service, contracted for Sundays only on double pay and now down to time and a 1/4, I have lost about £170 a month. In fact I am probably on the same pay as when I started. Tesco are taking the pee. They are doing us out of a pay rise from July to November, but using the alleged pay rise for those months in their calculations for the cushion payment, even though we won't be getting it for those months. I will be phoning Leigh Day to see where we stand on this one.

bestnotputmyrealname

Quote from: Hammer10 on 17-07-18, 02:46PM
They will get theirs it might take a while but it's coming .

Sadly that's not true and nor would I want it to be due to the fact that they employ a great number of hard working people which I recognise but sadly Tesco doesn't. Let's face it USDAW sold us down the garden path with this one and the big question is why, what was in it for those individuals at the table. Nothing will be done until the day we all stand united with or without the union and really hit Tesco/USDAW where it hurts and that day is a long way off yet because they only hit small groups and the rest are dazzled by a few pence when they're worth so much more. We're all worth so much more. They're just playing the long game and it's costing them nothing except hard working employees, if that, the next move is no premiums at all now that they've got the playbook and it'll not be long.

Hammer10

What I meant was the equal pay case if asda and sainsburys win their cases then tesco staff will win theirs.

sfo

well I've had my contract presented four times in just over a week and threatened with dismissal twice if I don't sign. There's definitely something going on.

barafear

There's a lot of passion about this subject on here.
There's also a lot of knowledgeable posts written about it.

I've previously written on this thread – so I'd just like to reiterate that I am one of the 3%.

To clarify, what that means is that my average weekly pay will be lower in the period "Nov 2018-Oct 2019" than it was in the period "Nov 2016-Oct 2017".

The cushion payment I will be receiving is supposedly to equalise the loss.

In summary, together with my cushion payment, I will be receiving a 0% pay rise.

In terms of pay rises – I've been with Tesco for around 13 years – for a number of years Tesco were "relatively" generous – and also prompt. I remember payrises in the 2-3% bracket and they would regularly happen on an annual basis – I think they kicked in from July.

However, we then went a period without a payrise – and then they started implementing it later – e.g. in November rather than July. I'm only quoting this from memory – so please feel free to correct me.

I'm guessing this coincided with what was effectively a dark time for the company – record losses etc. Was this ALL caused by the accounting scandal – or were Tesco struggling because of the horse meat scandal, or increased competition from Aldi/Lidl.

Anyway – when companies struggle, clearly the most obvious course of action is to try to reduce costs – so the lack of payrises and the delay in implementing them was their chosen course of action.

I'll come back and complete this comment later.....

Rad

Tesco struggled for many reasons around time Terry Leahy left.   The recession changed people's shopping habits, but Tesco bought restaurants and coffee shops.   They stopped buying non food and luxury items.  We didnt react quickly enough.  Phil Clarke was pretty poor as ceo.

The one good thing we did around the recession was get into express.  This has been massive for the company.

The accounting scandal, i feel, didnt necessarily put shoppers off but it destroyed the share price and the profitability. 

Aldi and Lidl's growth hasnt helped. 

Dave has done what any businessman has done and trimmed the fat.  You guys on here absolutely hated the pms.  He got rid of them.  But he has also made a lot of decisions for the right reasons, long term safety of the company.  But in totally the wrong way.  Nowhere near the correct levels of compensation for changes to contracts.

One thing I do believe though.  No matter if the accounting scandal had happened or not, I think these contract changes and big decisions would have been made.

Spongbob

Wherever  at the end of the day Mr Lewis walks away with 4.5million I get zero

JL

The cuts are efficiency cuts which allow him try to justify a few more million. If he can make minions do 2 aisles instead of 1 he doesn't need to replace staff. If he loses 1 GA in every store think of the cost saving. He can reinvest this money but f that when his own piggy bank could benefit.

sfo

It's the fact that two years ago when the raise was announced they said that staff affected by the reduction in Sunday premium would be compensated. What they failed to explain is that if you are 1 pence better off in Nov 18 than than Nov 16 that there will be no compensation. They also didn't explain to us that we would see a dip in our monthly pay in July 18. Everybody gets a personal letter around bonus time to outline the bonus and how it was calculated. Nobody has had a personal letter to explain the two year pay deal and how it would affect us individually. All of us Sunday workers realised we would be affected in July  and were waiting  for the promised letter in June. When it didn't appear we started to realise that we'd been shafted.

sfo

by the way I was told today that in our CFC only 5 people got compensation out of around 500 staff and that I was the only one who had a lower amount on the new contract - but I know different

surlaroute

Next to the shady calculation and the terrible communication the inconsistency (probably due to the terrible communication) with which stores seem to be handling this (even before we have actual confirmation of what they've done - the next 8 days can't pass too quickly for me) is the worst...

surlaroute

lol I just noticed on the ourtesco news and views section they just added a link to the social media policy above the comments box pretty sure that's new since more people starting kicking off over there  ;D somebody's noticing at least... not gonna stop me...

Flatout

Quote from: sfo on 17-07-18, 06:46PM
well I've had my contract presented four times in just over a week and threatened with dismissal twice if I don't sign. There's definitely something going on.

As far as I recall, don't know if it's changed though, You have four weeks to reject the contract in writing. If you don't sign it but continue to accept payment, you deemed to have accepted the contract.

One things for sure, they can't sack you as Tesco would be laughed out of court, which is no doubt where they'd find themselves.

Not sure what the process is though if you refuse in writing and refuse to work!! You may be deemed to have resigned. Whether you could bring about a constructive dismissal case with this option is the question, as when you left you were basically given a no option pay cut.

lackofinterest

Quote from: Spongbob on 17-07-18, 07:57PM
Wherever  at the end of the day Mr Lewis walks away with 4.5million I get zero
4.5? add 10 million onto that and you'll be getting a lot closer  >:(

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk