News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

28-03-24, 05:01PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,116
  • Total Topics: 630
  • Online today: 322
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 4
Guests: 314
Total: 318

Job losses.

Started by Nomad, 07-04-09, 07:22PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Loner 86

The cashless pay with your phone Sainsbury's in central London was a bit of a disaster. Everybody ended up having to deal with one or two stressed out front end colleagues. And this would have been tech savvy millennials. Rolling this out across the country to all shops is a long way off.

willie2018

people have been asked in my extra store if they would like to train up as shift leaders any news on this ?

mike360

A lot of metros that moved to the shift leader structure last year have vacancies.

Not sure if there's one in your area?

willie2018

yeah there is that format in my area but also heard all xtra stores to ask of people want to train up so was just wondering why ??

Is there plans ahead for xtra to follow this style like metro etc

mike360

Read my post on page 16.

Littlehelpsvery

My Store in the north west all extras to provide a % of headcount for shift leader training. I know m360 u say it's not coming to extra this year but surely this is laying the foundations ready for removal of team manager roles in large stores to bring them in line with metro/express

Samuel137

I really thought bakeries were gonna go with all the rumours.
I guess on the bright side bakers still have their jobs but I know a lot were probably holding out for redundancy.

NightAndDay

Shift leaders are going to be replacing team managers, just not yet, the current meetings seem to pertain to getting a uniform structure across the group by implementing the finishing changes in some stores and reducing hours where needed.

If I was a betting man, I'd say any big changes would occur mid to 3rd quarter after seeing the impact to supply chain that Brexit will bring.

Redshoes

Nice that you have the inside information and able to share it.
How is the new job with the new company going?

NightAndDay

Really well, thank you for asking. It has really opened my eyes to how underpaid the non-managers who work at Tesco are, even most of the managers now aren't exactly paid appropriately for the work conditions and stress they have to endure. It has also highlighted the contrast in professional attitudes and attributes between typical Tesco managers and project/technical managers and consultants, a big difference being personal integrity and innovative thinking between the 2, less reliance on business buzzwords and more focus on key deliverables.

mike360

Making every team and lead manager redundant?

The redundancy bill would be astronomical, not to mention the disruption and vacancies that would be left as hardly any of the shift leader jobs would get filled straight away.

They're saving loads of money by removing management roles informally as departments lose hours, why pay out a fortune in redundancy?

checkoutmonkey

I'm a checkout team support in large format and I'm just counting down the days until we are cut. The changing of SAYS to card only last week is pretty much the final nail in our coffin I'd say

rockley200

Be very aware, the will be NO team managers this time next year,  only shift leaders on peanuts.

biggguy

I take it shift leaders are very similar role to that of former team leaders or just team managers with a different name?

Jethro

They need to save the redundancy money for the bakers , not waste it on the managers !

kaled78

one of the big questions for the future is will team support roles be scrapped with no redundancy,just protected pay for 6 months,so that managers roles can be scrapped and can be re-named shift leaders,again with protected pay to avoid redundancy

NightAndDay

There are only so many management jobs in retail, Morrisons, Sainsbury's and soon enough Asda will be cutting down the fat so to speak, if they handle it like the Express restructure, they'll offer the TMs a one off payment to step down to SL level ( most new TMs are on 22.5-24k a year, so it won't be a massive loss in earnings, in fact, SLs can earn more than that with the Express policy on paid breaks for being unable to take it, won't apply to Superstore though).

The retail sector as a whole with few exceptions in a state of decay, with this in mind, most will take the SL position if offered. This will come after Tesco informally remove the management positions they can to save on redundancy costs.

yelsel

Anyone have info on pi changes plz

When are these changes plz?

Rlawes

In the shift from TM to SL will checkout TS be scrapped then?

checkoutmonkey

I can't imagine it going any other way, as currently SL and TS are the same pay grade so there's no way they'd keep both considering how different the responsibilities are. Unless of course large format SLs are on a higher pay grade than the convenience ones but that kinda goes against the whole convergence of formats that they've been trying to do lately

NightAndDay

The level of responsibility Express SLs have compared to their Metro counterparts, if there are going to be disparities based on responsibilities in SL pay, they would be in favour of Express SL purely for the fact they are more often then not, the duty manager (i.e no higher levels of authority in the store at time of working).

checkoutmonkey

Agreed, although we all know that Express workers have normally got the short end of the stick when it comes to this so I suspect the pay will be the same across all formats

mike360

The redundancy bill to remove all managers out of large stores would come to billions.

Then you'd lose all the experience in the business as 90% would leave rather than take a pay cut.

Then no-one would want the shift leader vacancies so would cause another massive issue.

It's not happening.

Jethro

Any chance of the skilled bakers getting redundancy  ?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk