News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

29-03-24, 01:22PM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,129
  • Total Topics: 630
  • Online today: 471
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 4
Guests: 429
Total: 433

Pandemics & Tesco's policy

Started by Orangutan, 24-02-20, 09:51AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tinkerbell1234

Im hoping not to go back its on paper they recommend i go to another store to have a fresh start so will wait till friday for s response thanks for the advice  :thumbup:

beentheredoneit

Cant understand why Directors at all levels think it ok to do store visits at this time.
Apart from non essential travel and giving store teams added pressure , it is completely contradictory to what they have been asked by government.
STAY AT HOME.
beentheredoneit

Tinkerbell1234

Quick  question i did 27hrs overtime while manager on holiday worked 7 days plus sun is classed has overtime has it was the crazy week of buying i stayed and supported my colleagues also manager started questioning me about it i know i did not clock in or out put on manually all on cctv right i sent form off to get the 27hrs removed today i got a repy will be deducted in next pay thats fine can i now get the manager to check and put the hrs back on himself and ask for all my sundays where i have worked and on the exceptions just put down monday to friday so lost all premium to and all paid breakk was putting 30min last couple of weeks for one day then spoke to pm now puts 1hr

NightAndDay

If you clocked in and out for the hours you've worked (as is policy) then they can't legally deduct your wages, if they do, raise a grievance stating unlawful deduction of wages and mistreatment. This will help you in future dealings with said manager, the longer the paper trail the less the PM will be inclined to defend said manager.

Tinkerbell1234

I did not clock in or out but all they have to do is see cctv so not sure why hes questioning me never clocked in or out and hrs always said just put your hrs on

Tinkerbell1234

He never had a problem with it before

NightAndDay

If you can clock in and out, it is policy to do so for hours worked as it leaves an audit trail. If you can't clock in or out, then at the very least you'll need a record of the hours you've worked to dispute not being paid correctly.

Tinkerbell1234

I understand  i was A for the store rota shows 7 days and manager also asked me to stay longer to make sure things were done oh well money is not important with what is going on  at the moment

Siwel123

Is there an official policy that customers should shop alone where possible, so for example families shouldn't come out together, couples shouldn't be shopping together etc?

We were enforcing a one in one out policy which is still in place but customers shopping together that didn't need to be were asked to either do seperate shopping or one wait outside. We have been told we are to allow couples and families and groups in, as long as we do a one in one out.

This has caused a lot of tension in store, as we now have groups of people walking about together, families with 2 parents walking round with kids etc,  this means the 2 metre rule is no more, more people hanging round chdckouts and shop floor staff.

I understand some people can't be left to stay at home and need help shopping, eg disabled, single parents etc, but is it right for us to raise concerns to management?

Redshoes

It's not an enforcement policy. The guidance is that we should not and can't judge customers on this. We don't know individual circumstances. We don't know of any individual hidden disabilities that would prevent customers shopping alone.  We don't know of individual family circumstances that prevent parents from being unable to shop without children.
We can however control how many people come into the store in one go. We can point customers towards the cleaning station set up and advise about the social distancing as they go round the store. We can control the queues of customers at the checkouts and give that space and distance between customers.
From what I have seen in my store this is not an issue. The atmosphere is calm and customers are more than happy to comply.

Hf

Hi

Does anyone know as we are classed as an essential business can we still ask to be furloughed?

lucgeo

The trouble with the more than one shopping is that the store aisles are not necessarily wide enough to maintain the 2 m distancing. Then you have them all lined up looking at the products, blocking half the shelf, so you have to wait for them to move on, and the aisle is blocking up behind you. Last week a couple spent a good 3 minutes discussing whether to buy a product or not...handling it...turning it over to read the instructions..one of them looked at me and sarcastically smiled for me to go past...still didn't move on when I said I needed something on the shelf next to them...eventually they decided they didn't want the product and slowly walked to peruse the next shelf...the whole aisle was backed up!
The one way system doesn't really work, they should perhaps alternate on admitting through two ends of the store, operating two alternative one way systems, perhaps would half the backup?
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

madness

Quote from: Hf on 07-04-20, 09:34AM
Hi

Does anyone know as we are classed as an essential business can we still ask to be furloughed?

Cream of the crop in this company...
Yes FOOD suppliers are essential.

Hf

Yes I know which is why I said AS we are classed as essential

Hf

I'm asking as I live with my vulnerable parents and have children at home who there having to look after . My choice at the moment is to either go unpaid for what could be months or go to work and potentially bring something home that could kill my parents.  Kind of a lose lose situation. I've worked for tesco for over 10 years and other than maternity have had hardly any time off .I'm not trying to get out of work for the sake of it . I can distance from my parents however I cant from my children and my children can't from them therefore it can pass between us through them.

madness

Tesco are not paying for people who have parents over 70 in the same household. There are limits to how far out the "sphere" of support goes and I don't mean that in a harsh way otherwise literally the entire country has a link to someone vunerable. Tesco are paying people who have themselves one of the listed "at risk" conditions to be off for 12 weeks issolation but that means issolation. We have had staff claim for this then 6 days later they are in the store shopping.

Modena

After being asked to take someone out and train them, and then being told by our manager that it has been asked by head office would we go into vunrable people's houses, both I think are outrageous request,s with the current situation going on aren't us drivers doing enough already.

penguin

Quote from: madness on 07-04-20, 12:19PM
Tesco are not paying for people who have parents over 70 in the same household. There are limits to how far out the "sphere" of support goes and I don't mean that in a harsh way otherwise literally the entire country has a link to someone vunerable. Tesco are paying people who have themselves one of the listed "at risk" conditions to be off for 12 weeks issolation but that means issolation. We have had staff claim for this then 6 days later they are in the store shopping.

I can tip that, one of the staff in our place went on the 12 week isolation thing and no issue there as he does have a genuine health issue, last weekend photos and video on his social media showed him holding a party at home, let’s just say it has not gone down well at all in store.
Do not let anyone tell you there is not a decent job and life beyond Tesco.

blueberet

Quote from: Modena on 07-04-20, 12:32PM
After being asked to take someone out and train them, and then being told by our manager that it has been asked by head office would we go into vunrable people's houses, both I think are outrageous request,s with the current situation going on aren't us drivers doing enough already.
Taking out new drivers is entirely up to you, it you don't want to do it then you can say no. I spoke to my manager and they have confirmed as much. If you are unlucky to have one of those managers then you just have to stand your ground and refuse, remember they are not medically trained and the current advice from people that are is 2m is the minimum distance which is not achievable in a delivery van.

As for taking into vulnerable customers houses if they are physically able to do it themselves then they should, if they aren't then they should have someone there to help them.

Hf

Quote from: madness on 07-04-20, 12:19PM

Yea I know tesco won't pay I just wondered if anyone knew if they could furlough people so they could get the 80% from the government

Jasperjakes

The answer is no.
Look up terms of furlough.

Hf

I did but its a bit confusing especially as the government have announced

People unable to work because of caring responsibilities arising from the coronavirus epidemic are now eligible for furlough

Those who cannot work â€" including from home â€" because they need to look after children or a vulnerable individual in their household have been advised to speak with their employer about being placed on temporary leave.

This makes it sound like it should be possible

Redshoes

My friend who is a nurse but has a son that is vulnerable is continuing to work. She has been told her son should self isolate in his room and not take meals with family or take part in an evening watching TV etc.  She is to continue to work but needs to have minimal contact with her son that lives with her.  The dad is the one staying off as is able to work from home but as shares bed with wife to have minimal contact with son. Son is early teens but it's a cold harsh world for him just now.  No company is supporting whole families to be off for one or more vulnerable person within the house.

My son is a career and his wife is vulnerable. He is working. He showers as soon as he walks in the door and changes clothes. He puts his shoes in a box by the door and they have gel in the hall that he uses as soon as he comes home, before going up for shower.

As a company we are supporting above and beyond the guidelines. We just can't afford to support everybody to be off when there are no signs of symptoms and purely preventative on behalf of others. The company does however support those who are vulnerable themselves, the line is drawn at preventative for wider family. We would have nobody working if we did this.

Cancer treatments have been halted for many. Operations have been cancelled for many. These people may have life shortened due to these procedures being cancelled. There may come a time when those most able to survive will get priority treatment.

We are probably not going to get back to a fully normal life this year. The restrictions may be lifted in time but it's going to be a long long time before we go back to holidays abroad and life as before. Many business will cease to exist, big and small. This is long term and a quick fix. It's short term emergency for now but will be long term beyond that.

madness

The most sensible post on here for a long time. There are limits to jsut how much a country or company can support. What people keep looking out for is the cracks that effect them.

Hf

I think some of the responses are unfair .. im not looking for cracks im trying to ensure my family stays alive . My children are too young to look after themselves and stay in their own rooms etc and my parents shouldn't be looking after them at the moment ... Sainsburys are supporting staff with full pay for those that live with extremely vulnerable people so it shows tesco could do more . Even if they had an option where they paid us and we repaid back over time would be something .Most people can't afford to be off unpaid and so there basically backing people into a corner with no choice but to potentially kill of their family members .Yes it sounds dramatic but that is what could happen.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk