News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

28-03-24, 11:23AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,115
  • Total Topics: 630
  • Online today: 316
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 4
Guests: 274
Total: 278

Jack's

Started by londoner83, 13-09-18, 10:09PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ManyFormats

Quote from: OvaSees on 20-09-18, 09:42AM
Quote from: ManyFormats on 19-09-18, 08:47PM
Honestly I really don't understand why you cannot be positive about something we're doing.
Because America? Because Japan? Because France? Because Vin Plus? Because Homeplus? Because Turkey? Because South Korea? Because Euphorium? Because Giraffe? Because Harris & Hoole? People all over the company stood up and applauded those things too when they were launched.

Quote from: Nomad on 19-09-18, 09:43PM
It's never good coming to the game late.
Because this. Because our leadership is following not leading by emulating not innovating. They even had to poach an Aldi executive to do this for them.

Because none of the above were under our current leadership.
If you are going to make an arguement, at the very least keep it relevant to the business you now work in.

What would you prefer to see? We just sit back and allow the discounters to prosper? What about post-Brexit? 80% UK sourced ranging is a smart move. The Shop smart app is a great bit of innovation.
What are you going to do if this is a success? Be disappointed???

ManyFormats

Quote from: Red75 on 20-09-18, 01:13AM
One thing I would point out is that I have never said that anyone should get out if they are not happy. People do not always have great choice in where they work. They don't have to agree with the actions of their employer. I think telling someone to get out is pretty much 'bullying' and pretty nasty. Shouldn't we be able to agree to disagree because you may not like me but I may very well not like you. Despite what you may think I am not an unpopular staff member. I have bigger fish to fry. I should be concentrating on my studies not this nonsense. I wish every budding capitalist on this website the best of luck because life is too short.

If I go to the Cinema and I think the film is rubbish, I don't sit through it, I leave. If I don't like a particular food, I don't eat it. If my job makes me unhappy, I look for another job.
That is not bullying. That is common sense. To suggest otherwise is just playing a victim and speaks volumes.

ManyFormats

Quote from: tescopleb on 20-09-18, 12:33PM
Is this before or after you saw the layout, seriously makes aldi and lidl look like waitrose. Seriously, going downmarket is not competing just looks desperate.

I've seen the layout. I like it. It's simple and flows well.

belfast driver

Does anyone know if Tesco are supplied the new Jacks stores through there own distribution network or are they using the booker part of the company?
Everyone seems normal until you get to know them.

Totot

Retail managing and strategy aside, will this Jack's financial statement gonna be in tesco financial statement or separated?
Will it be just final profit /loss and change of asset/liability?
Will it compare to whole asset for the roi or just gonna be general? Is it even different legal body or under tesco?

Do you think you gonna shop in these places
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=jacks+tesco&client=opera&hs=DbM&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiVi4qE2MndAhUDgRoKHSvNAu4Q_AUIDSgE&biw=1640&bih=804#imgrc=CpCdKalmxi358M:

Lets throw away logic and knowledge, lets just have optimism.
by the way, the one who have to get out to get another job is not the one who not happy with their job, but the one who make people not happy with their job. These people are the one who already got paid but never do their job properly.

Red75

I'm not a victim. I have been pro active about leaving Tesco. Iv'e been studying for the past three years.
If I lived in a large town or city I probably would have left but there isn't a great deal of employment in the area in which I live. A lot us know that the world of low paid employment is a pretty harsh place these days - short hour contracts and low pay. I have a commitment of enough hours from Tesco to allow me a modest amount of security.
To be honest, I know most corporations are run along similar lines. A few at the top get paid fortunes whilst the majority of staff get paid as little as the company can get away with.
It seems that the company are playing a dangerous game at the moment with price rises, however small the rises. It is noticeable that the prices of many products have gone up by 5 to 10% in the past year. Isn't there the danger that customers might find us expensive? I certainly find Tesco expensive these days.
I'm not alone in thinking that the companies cost cutting is putting extra stress on a lot of people. Up until now cost cutting has been this leaderships chief solution to increasing profitability. We all know that there was a lot of slack in the way that stores were run up until Tesco started hitting hard times. It's arguable now that cuts on many departments have taken things too far the other way. The board haven't really increased revenues, take out the effect of inflation and they haven't increased revenues at all.
I am indifferent to Jacks success or lack of. It will have little effect on me or others in a similar position to me. I don't doubt that with Tesco's infrastructure there is the potential for it to be a success.

ManyFormats

Quote from: Totot on 20-09-18, 02:39PM
Retail managing and strategy aside, will this Jack's financial statement gonna be in tesco financial statement or separated?
Will it be just final profit /loss and change of asset/liability?
Will it compare to whole asset for the roi or just gonna be general? Is it even different legal body or under tesco?

Do you think you gonna shop in these places
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=jacks+tesco&client=opera&hs=DbM&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiVi4qE2MndAhUDgRoKHSvNAu4Q_AUIDSgE&biw=1640&bih=804#imgrc=CpCdKalmxi358M:

Lets throw away logic and knowledge, lets just have optimism.
by the way, the one who have to get out to get another job is not the one who not happy with their job, but the one who make people not happy with their job. These people are the one who already got paid but never do their job properly.

Not a lot of this makes sense.
Aldi and Lidl are privately owned so don't need to publish their true performance.
How Tesco reports Jack's performance has zero to do with how they actually perform.

ManyFormats

Quote from: Red75 on 20-09-18, 02:52PM
I'm not a victim. I have been pro active about leaving Tesco. Iv'e been studying for the past three years.
If I lived in a large town or city I probably would have left but there isn't a great deal of employment in the area in which I live. A lot us know that the world of low paid employment is a pretty harsh place these days - short hour contracts and low pay. I have a commitment of enough hours from Tesco to allow me a modest amount of security.
To be honest, I know most corporations are run along similar lines. A few at the top get paid fortunes whilst the majority of staff get paid as little as the company can get away with.
It seems that the company are playing a dangerous game at the moment with price rises, however small the rises. It is noticeable that the prices of many products have gone up by 5 to 10% in the past year. Isn't there the danger that customers might find us expensive? I certainly find Tesco expensive these days.
I'm not alone in thinking that the companies cost cutting is putting extra stress on a lot of people. Up until now cost cutting has been this leaderships chief solution to increasing profitability. We all know that there was a lot of slack in the way that stores were run up until Tesco started hitting hard times. It's arguable now that cuts on many departments have taken things too far the other way. The board haven't really increased revenues, take out the effect of inflation and they haven't increased revenues at all.
I am indifferent to Jacks success or lack of. It will have little effect on me or others in a similar position to me. I don't doubt that with Tesco's infrastructure there is the potential for it to be a success.

Can I ask where you live that is so isolated?

Red75

I would prefer not to disclose the exact area of where I work, there aren't many stores round here. It is among the most rural of locations that Tesco trade in and one of the least densely populated counties in the UK.

Nomad

Sorry for going off topic.

VLH seems to have attracted a certain number of members that do not come here to offer advice for the problems others may have, nor do they appear to have problems themselves for which they need help, their sole purpose on VLH is to promote the company and criticise or belittle other members.  One of the VLH founding purposes was for members to seek or offer help/advice.

Opinions will be offered and welcomed in subjects such as this, but they should not include opinions of other members no matter how thinly disguised.

Be warned when defending a VLH principle, and/or a rule that is in the registration agreement, then action(s) maybe taken.  VLH has survived 16 years without such members and may well do so for another 16 (or more).

Back to Jack's.
Nomad ( Forum Admin )
It's better to be up in arms than down on your knees.

Classy Bird

I think that J's is a good idea and could work where others have failed in the past.

A lot of comsumers are now after buying British and what to keep their shopping costs low, I know if a J's opened local to me I'd try it out rather than use the other European discounters.

D.L is a bit ruthless in his decisions to keep Tesco afloat and keep making the business profitable. Needs to be though, if not kept competitive and up to date with what the current market is doing there will be a lot more redundancies in the future.

T isn't as good a company to work for as it used to be pre the financial scandal and its gone from in my opinion a company that cared about its employees to a company that just has employee numbers, each as replaceable as the next (the latter probably hasn't changed)

Morale has taken a nose dive amoung the employees with the long service history where I am, there is always talk of the good old days before the perks were stripped away. I think most are in agreement that it is better to be employed by Tesco rather than Jacks.

Nowanexmgr

I certainly hope that the new venture succeeds. As an employee and a share holder it is a win win for me if it does. As it is for all of us.

And credit where it is due.

Dave Lewis has taken on the old fashioned, out of date, working practises of old and been impressively ruthless in his heroic quest to drag Tesco, kicking and screaming, into the 21st century.

In my store we have finally been able to rid ourselves of 5 feckless and lazy managers over the last few years. As well as dozens of equally lazy and destructive staff from the shopfloor.
The ship is now a lot tighter controlled, and a lot leaner. Which is great. The staff are now more multi-skilled, and are significantly more amenable to management requests than in the old days of "not my job, gov".

Basically we are giving better service, at less cost, and much much smarter than in the bad old days of a decade ago.

Hurrah for Dave. Finally a leader with the cojones to tackle the lazy and the work shy.

Long may he reign.

ManyFormats

Quote from: Nomad on 20-09-18, 04:37PM

VLH seems to have attracted a certain number of members that do not come here to offer advice for the problems others may have, nor do they appear to have problems themselves for which they need help, their sole purpose on VLH is to promote the company and criticise or belittle other members.  One of the VLH founding purposes was for members to seek or offer help/advice.

Opinions will be offered and welcomed in subjects such as this, but they should not include opinions of other members no matter how thinly disguised.

Be warned when defending a VLH principle, and/or a rule that is in the registration agreement, then action(s) maybe taken.  VLH has survived 16 years without such members and may well do so for another 16 (or more).

Back to Jack's.

Subtweet much?

So I can't have a positive opinion about a company who I have worked for for 12 + years? Do I have to be a whining, moaning naysayer in order to fit in here?
This is not a thinly veiled critique - this is as open as I can be -

It is 2018. It is not 1978.
The unions are not what they once were, for that you can only blame the unions and the lethargy of the colleague population.
Nothing in this world is "as good as it was in the old days" because everyone believes they had it better in tears gone by. I'd disagree.

Jack's signals the return of Tesco proper. The return of the machine that took us to number 1 in the market. The machine that for many years meant we had the best pay, the best benefits and the best pension of any tetailer in the market.

You want that back? I do.
How to get it? Talk the company up. Do the processes. Follow the rules. Tell everyone how good our quality is. Tell everyone what great work we do with waste, with charity donations, with everything.
Build more market confidence. Support the growth.

Look beyond the end of your steel toe caps.

grim up north

Quote from: belfast driver on 20-09-18, 01:08PM
Does anyone know if Tesco are supplied the new Jacks stores through there own distribution network or are they using the booker part of the company?

Our DC has branded Jack's MU's, so I imagine we'll be delivering to the stores.

Is jack's classed as T then or a separate entity? If, for example T made a loss, but Jack's made massive massive profits, would T staff still get a bonus? Or if T made a profit, and Jack's made a loss, would this be used to not pay a bonus?

ManyFormats

Quote from: grim up north on 20-09-18, 06:14PM

Is jack's classed as T then or a separate entity? If, for example T made a loss, but Jack's made massive massive profits, would T staff still get a bonus? Or if T made a profit, and Jack's made a loss, would this be used to not pay a bonus?

It will be part of  the "Tesco Group" that includes Booker, One Stop, CE, ROI etc so the performance of UK stores will not be directly attributed to Jacks being loss making or profitable.
Colleague bonuses are linked to the performance of "Tesco Stores Ltd" rather than the whole group.

OvaSees

Quote from: ManyFormats on 20-09-18, 05:59PM
So I can't have a positive opinion about a company who I have worked for for 12 + years? Do I have to be a whining, moaning naysayer in order to fit in here?
Of course you can ManyFormats. I completely disagree with your view on Jacks (you're perefctly entitled to that view of course) but I fully support your being here and actually enjoy seeing a different point of view - mine has changed in several ways as a result of seeing different views. Wouldn't be a good place if it was just a collection of whiners all agreeing with each other. Stick around! for what it's worth, I'm not negative about the business doing something I'm just sceptical and therefore critical of it, that's not the same as hating on the place that employs me. If you cut out somebody's tongue you do not prove them wrong or a liar, you merely show the world you are scared of what they have to say...

Spongbob

Why  not just reduce our stupid over priced items  just cut prices no need for all this c**p jacks  omg 

Nowanexmgr

Quote from: Nomad on 20-09-18, 04:37PM

Back to Jack's.

Subtweet much?

This is not a thinly veiled critique - this is as open as I can be -

It is 2018. It is not 1978.
The unions are not what they once were, for that you can only blame the unions and the lethargy of the colleague population.
Nothing in this world is "as good as it was in the old days" because everyone believes they had it better in tears gone by. I'd disagree.

Jack's signals the return of Tesco proper. The return of the machine that took us to number 1 in the market. The machine that for many years meant we had the best pay, the best benefits and the best pension of any tetailer in the market.

You want that back? I do.
How to get it? Talk the company up. Do the processes. Follow the rules. Tell everyone how good our quality is. Tell everyone what great work we do with waste, with charity donations, with everything.
Build more market confidence. Support the growth.

Look beyond the end of your steel toe caps.

Hear hear

ManyFormats

Quote from: OvaSees on 20-09-18, 07:15PM
Of course you can ManyFormats. I completely disagree with your view on Jacks (you're perefctly entitled to that view of course) but I fully support your being here and actually enjoy seeing a different point of view - mine has changed in several ways as a result of seeing different views. Wouldn't be a good place if it was just a collection of whiners all agreeing with each other. Stick around! for what it's worth, I'm not negative about the business doing something I'm just sceptical and therefore critical of it, that's not the same as hating on the place that employs me. If you cut out somebody's tongue you do not prove them wrong or a liar, you merely show the world you are scared of what they have to say...

Critical is wholly different to most of what I've read on some of these forums - there is a general apathy towards the company and a naiive belief that an individual's singular experience in one store represents everyone else's experiences - eg to get promoted you have to somehow be a swot, a smartarse or a relative. Just rubbish.

If we kept the final salary pension scheme, then the business would have been crippled with debt and probably collapsed. To stay competitive, we have to innovate.

What makes Jack's different to the criminally neglegent Phil Clarke era is the relevance of the business direction.
Clarke bought Giraffe, Harris & Hoole, Freds (remember them anyone?) as well as all sorts of other weird money wasting ventures.

DL has binned all those off, rightly so, and bought the world's leading Wholesaler and set us up with a new discounter with a British provenance.
Keeping it simple and relevant.

ManyFormats

Quote from: Spongbob on 20-09-18, 07:22PM
Why  not just reduce our stupid over priced items  just cut prices no need for all this c**p jacks  omg

What facts can you back this up with?

Last week our price basket was 2% cheaper than Aldi and 4% cheaper than Lidl on like for like products.
We are already cheaper in our big stores. Prime example of being mad at the company for no reason and with no truth.

The challenge is the size and scale of Tesco does not allow us to compete long term. To do this we need an operating model with lower costs - more pallet stock, less range, simpler pricing structure, all the things the discounters do well, we have to see what they do and improve on it.
Laurence Harvey has been leading this project for Tesco and he is an Ex Aldi Exec - he knows what he's doing and therefore so do we.

grim up north

All the MU's for Jack's are from the same suppliers as T. How much price difference is there, for example 2l Ashbeck water, or plum tomatoes?

ManyFormats

Quote from: grim up north on 20-09-18, 07:46PM
All the MU's for Jack's are from the same suppliers as T. How much price difference is there, for example 2l Ashbeck water, or plum tomatoes?

There are no Tesco branded products in Jacks.
But for example, Jack's baked beans are 23p. T E Stockwell beans are 23p. Aldi and Lidl are 26p

belfast driver

Quote from: grim up north on 20-09-18, 06:14PM

Grim  up North what depot are you based in?
Everyone seems normal until you get to know them.

OvaSees

Quote from: ManyFormats on 20-09-18, 07:40PM
Quote from: Spongbob on 20-09-18, 07:22PM

What facts can you back this up with?
Erm... https://www.thegrocer.co.uk/stores/the-grocer-33

Well...  https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/went-shopping-big-tesco-compare-15177937.amp

Quote from: ManyFormats on 20-09-18, 07:40PM
Laurence Harvey has been leading this project for Tesco and he is an Ex Aldi Exec - he knows what he's doing and therefore so do we.
I remember being told that when Matt Davies jumped on board. How long do you think Laurence will be around then?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk