News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

28-03-24, 08:19PM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,120
  • Total Topics: 630
  • Online today: 325
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 5
Guests: 286
Total: 291

Job losses.

Started by Nomad, 07-04-09, 07:22PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baker4life

Thanks Pollypest fingers crossed it's the vlh calculator

Pollypest

Something else I forgot to mention, I'd been with Tesco 29 years so I also had holidays banked as I had to work a year in hand. You cannot claim income based job seekers until you're in lieu of notice and any holiday pay has been used because they class that as earnings, but redundancy and any saving are not counted for the 1st 26 weeks. I hope this is some help.

Jethro

Does anyone know when the 45 day consultation period starts, is it from your 1st 1 to 1 ?

Baker4life

Great helps thanks

Gigglepig

Okay this is a question, the first part of the consultation process is filling in availability sheets if I understand correctly. So I’m guessing redundancy figures would not be mentioned at this stage. But the way this form is filled in is dependent on wether you’re after redundancy or not, ie covering all bases to enhance chances of being kept on or putting current hours that may be outside the matrix with no reduced hours etc if wanting redundancy. How can you make an informed decision if the figure isn’t available beforehand. I wouldn’t feel comfortable making a life changing decision without all relevant information.

Jethro

Do the redundancy calculator on here 1st

Baker4life

I totally feel the same. In my bakery it is going full bake off. I'm currently full time baker. No way they will offer any full time hours. I want to know my redundancy package ideally before filling out any availability sheet.

lucgeo

They would argue that, until they knew your availability, they wouldn't know if you're job matched, if you are,then redundancy is not an option as at this stage it's your job role that's  at risk.
Also bear in mind, whereby some may relish the thought of redundancy, due to their service, financial circumstances etc...others may be facing real hardship, and a small redundancy package forcast, could have a negative effect and may knee jerk them into agreeing to shifts they can't sustain.

And let's remember it's Tesco we're talking about here...they may give the wrong calculations and your decision is based on their forcast, only for them to come back after and say oops sorry, our mistake...nah they wouldn't c**k it is by thousands would they  ??? Oh yea I remember now, they did in the last cull, and asked for the money back  :-X
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

Tommo1961

Been told at our store going full bake off.  No job for bakers.  Rest of ga have to apply for the remaining hours.

Witch69

Hi with reguards to soft change in PI. What if you can't  change hours or day would you be able to get redundancy

kaled78

we have been told our store is losing 1/3 of it's range,but keeping some scratch on reduced hours,no full time bakers anymore,just part time no doubt

Baker4life

Not getting heat map down till week 3 so won't know till then what hours are needed in bakery but we are still expected to fill in availability sheet now

Baker4life

Lucgeo yes you are right just not right making us wait to see what hours are available. My guess is one person doing morning and one in afternoon. We are only a small bakery

Dunc1234

When they got rid of night shift in my store a full timer took less hours on day shift instead of taking redundancy they still got around 5-6 grand as they were losing money hope this is still the case

Baker4life

Was hoping for that but was told today that there will be no protected pay but havnt had my 121 meeting yet so will be a question I will ask.

Jasperjakes

Baker4life.
Hi. Who told you there was no protected pay?

Baker4life

Heard from a manager. But really hope there is. Won't know for sure till our meetings.

Baker4life

Makes me laugh when we were told customers are buying less traditional loafs and more bagels and wraps. In our store that is not the case but still going bake off. We all know it's a cost cutting excise.

Mickymouse1962

There has to be protected pay for 3 years

lucgeo

Quote from: Baker4life on 27-02-20, 07:13PM
Heard from a manager. But really hope there is. Won't know for sure till our meetings.

You will be told a lot of BS from mainly managers, who like to feed on people's uncertainties, that manager knows diddly squat, but wants to look like he's all knowing. There will be some stores where the SM has "had a little chat" with his brown nosers to feed false info, in a hope of getting the c**p shifts filled, all the while keeping a safe distance from any back lash!

Only take your questions to the manager dealing with the consultation...requesting and being provided with all notes taken in the meeting and an agreed further consultation date given and in notes... if you're not getting the full consultation support or answers, having every question answered, or clarified in a follow up meeting, having all the follow up meetings as arranged, feeling under the slightest pressure to keep the meetings short, or change them at last minute because the store is too busy etc., being denied by any manager any additional intermittent requested meetings, request for reps to attend ignored or not arranged by the consultation manager, being refused your entitlement to up to four paid half day shifts when requested to attend outside job or retraining interview( obviously give as much notice as possible), any manager blocking any of these rights, you ask for the area PM to attend your store to take your grievance.

Some managers are little sh**s, others not, my consultation manager was brilliant, got back within an hour to answer any unsure questions asked at meetings. Some managers who have vacancies on their dept's, will try to tweak shifts or work with you to enable you to stay employed, if that is your wish. Others ( and I speak from experience ) will act like God Almighty, and enjoy trying to manipulate your sudden unsure position to their own advantage, telling you their rules for you to be considered for the vacancy, and to be accepted into the team you will be expected to abide by them, all of which blatantly contravening Tesco policies.

If you decide to apply for a vacancy, make it clear that you wish to have a four week trial to decide if you want to remain with Tesco and take the position or take the redundancy offer. You will be expected by the end of the third week, to give indication of your intentions.

Baker4life

Thanks Lucgeo your a legend. Makes me sick they way someone in their ivory tower knows how your store runs and sells. Told customers which are regular snack wagon or cafe buying from bakery everyday and said they will shop elsewhere as don't want the bake off s**t. Our store will lose customers through this just doesn't make sense.

lucgeo

Quote from: Witch69 on 27-02-20, 03:26PM
Hi with reguards to soft change in PI. What if you can't  change hours or day would you be able to get redundancy

No as the role still exists. The window of change they're suggesting you'd expect A couple of hours either side of shift, would seem to be the most usually acceptable. However, if there is a loss of premium, you rely on transport and non available for changed shifts, childcare, other job or commitments on the change of day they're suggesting etc...they have to work with you, it's a two way street...

madness

customers have no idea that over half our stuff is bake off anyway..

Hammer10

This will kill bakeries off as that bake off stuff is not fit for feeding the birds.Also as regards protected pay don’t listen to anyone until you have had your 121.

Baker4life

Ok cheers, if protected pay is on the table then that is at least something. Have to wait and see. Noticed Morrisons are advertising for skilled bakers jobs lately. Only a matter of time all Tesco bakeries will eventually be affected. Very sad they think a bake off loaf is what the customer wants, oh I forgot and bagels and wraps ofcourse

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk