News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

29-03-24, 02:35AM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,127
  • Total Topics: 630
  • Online today: 311
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 271
Total: 272

Equal Pay/Leigh Day /Tom Hewitt/

Started by OpShunned, 22-03-17, 05:49PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blodwyn

Judging by the state of the cages that come in to our store there are no skills. Light goods at the bottom, heavy on top and we have to use our "skills" to sort out the mess.

Duracell

Forest I never said I am more Skilled than you and I never said I am worth more than you.

The skill I refer for example is Forklift Driving most warehouse have to and need a very good reason to abstain, which includes what I posted before about different legal demands on the Different areas of the business, that you somehow turned into me saying T are legislated to pay more to Distribution workers.
The Skill of Forklift Work whether T inherit it or train it is crucial to Distribution being as efficient as possible, some sites are struggling for that skill at great cost. It's is not a skill to be taken lightly most people who work in Distribution know what I mean, Distribution has to retain such skill and it has evolved to Be reliant on a very Multi Skilled workforce.
Furthermore forklift driving in such a large warehouse environment is not for the faint hearted, it's like a giant ants nest of organised chaos.

If you are not able to appreciate that aspect and all it entails then I have to ask about what skills payments and grades are all about in Retail. Surely if Skill is Endorsed from within your own sector how is it so wrong to endorse in another. Surely an equal value claim should start with your own singular environment.

Or are you saying it's OK for Retail to reward for Skills and Knowledge but not Distribution?
My Opinion is exactly that, Mine.  Based on my view of what I know , see and what I would do.
"Being a rep doesn't make a person right anymore than not being a rep makes a person wrong " 

Duracell.

toscozombie

Quote from: carlh on 26-07-18, 01:31PM
You make good points there. I'm in two minds about it. While I think those in distribution deserve a higher rate of pay,I'm still tempted to sign the form to claim. I not sure about the "sexist" claim of the lawsuit. Dare I say that most women don't want to work in distribution etc. Also at our store the ladies never work produce,juice or work the back door. By today's logic that's sexism

Well as a man I must stand up and defend the women in our store who do back door, juice,  produce, cheese and butter ...the women are pulling cages off lorries, presorting  filling then pulling cages back into said chiller to then off load stock not need onto  back stock cages . To be fair like you I don't think it's wether you are a woman or a man the point is we all have jobs that come with different kinds of  responsiblity and skill in  one or way or the other. For example  on nights when it is expected you work all the delivery no matter how much comes in or how much has not been worked during the day so there is availability for customers and dot com . Also we have the task of checking dates on fresh and checking labels are legal , of which, if they aren't the company can get into a lot of trouble .
Vintage worker

OvaSees

Quote from: Blodwyn on 27-07-18, 05:40PM
Judging by the state of the cages that come in to our store there are no skills. Light goods at the bottom, heavy on top and we have to use our "skills" to sort out the mess.
Hahahaha very difficult to argue with that!

mexicopete

Quote from: toscozombie on 27-07-18, 07:51PM
Quote from: carlh on 26-07-18, 01:31PM
You make good points there. I'm in two minds about it. While I think those in distribution deserve a higher rate of pay,I'm still tempted to sign the form to claim. I not sure about the "sexist" claim of the lawsuit. Dare I say that most women don't want to work in distribution etc. Also at our store the ladies never work produce,juice or work the back door. By today's logic that's sexism

Well as a man I must stand up and defend the women in our store who do back door, juice,  produce, cheese and butter ...the women are pulling cages off lorries, presorting  filling then pulling cages back into said chiller to then off load stock not need onto  back stock cages . To be fair like you I don't think it's wether you are a woman or a man the point is we all have jobs that come with different kinds of  responsiblity and skill in  one or way or the other. For example  on nights when it is expected you work all the delivery no matter how much comes in or how much has not been worked during the day so there is availability for customers and dot com . Also we have the task of checking dates on fresh and checking labels are legal , of which, if they aren't the company can get into a lot of trouble .
Great post it's the same in my store. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
The worlds me lobster

rayinski

I can honestly say that I'm very apprehensive about joining this action, especially as I've had some fantastic support from colleagues, team leaders, managers and even store managers.

However, now that the company has shafted me with my pay, I have decided to join the case against those that make the decisions that affect me and those around me.

They're hitting me in the pocket and as the bean counters only understand the bottom line, then that's where I want to hurt them.

Mark calloway

I've got the forms next to me. Not sure if I understand most of it. Is it as simple as if we win,we get compo. If we lose, nothing happens?

lordadmiral

Yes thats the right thinking.

Mark calloway

My form says I need employee number national insurance number,etc. Do I need to write it down or will they just accept my wage slip and my contract because it's all in there.

lordadmiral

I just send replay (email) with all details.
I think i sent 2 emails. In one i sent picture of my current contract. Then i received email to confirm all details, NI, emplyee number etc.

Mark calloway

I've just looked at my contract that I got from wages and it says the information  given is correct as at 01/07/2018. Well,I haven't seen this contract before,I haven't signed one for at least a couple of years. Was I meant to have been given this in July to sign?

BarryZola

Apparently Leigh-Day want 25% of any final settlement/compensation received.

Any reason why any individual shouldn't just watch what happens and if the case is successful (I know it's a long shot) then bring their own personal claim? The precedent would already be set, so why give up 25% of what could be a sizeable sum for some people? Did I read Tesco were hoping to get a law change or something? Tempted to go with Leigh-Day but don't want to do it if I'd be potentially throwing money away if the unthinkable happened and Tesco actually lost the case.

Hammer10

I signed up if we win yes they get 25% but I have not got the money to challenge Tesco.You only get something if you sign up for it there are about 8000 people now challenging it.

BarryZola

But if they won the case and set the precedent, wouldn't a letter to Tesco from an employee stating their intent to sue them for loss of earnings just prompt them to pay out anyway, as the precedent would have been set that they had been underpaying and so would automatically lose any further cases brought to court? Not arguing with you personally, just talking hytpothetically as I'm far from an expert myself! :)

chris9997

Quote from: BarryZola on 24-10-18, 03:30PM
Apparently Leigh-Day want 25% of any final settlement/compensation received.

Any reason why any individual shouldn't just watch what happens and if the case is successful (I know it's a long shot) then bring their own personal claim? The precedent would already be set, so why give up 25% of what could be a sizeable sum for some people? Did I read Tesco were hoping to get a law change or something? Tempted to go with Leigh-Day but don't want to do it if I'd be potentially throwing money away if the unthinkable happened and Tesco actually lost the case.
I think somewhere there was a piece about back pay for underpayment being scaled back from 6 years to 2 I tnihk in 2020/21 and it was recouned supermarket's were hopefully dragging out for this

Hammer10

Yes back pay for 6 years if you sign up now but if law changes then probably only 2 years of back pay.

BarryZola

Cheers. Think I'll sign up then. Add my name to the other thousands :)

roughyedspud

Does anyone have a list of the hourly rate since 2012?

Nomad

https://www.wigantoday.net/news/tesco-staff-from-wigan-could-be-entitled-to-equal-pay-claim-1-9430047

QuoteDamon Parker, a partner in law firm Harcus Sinclair UK Ltd, which is leading the action, urged people to join the claim.

Is this the same claim ?

Nomad ( Forum Admin )
It's better to be up in arms than down on your knees.

Hammer10

Same claim different solicitors

lordadmiral

And that's a big problem. Its better to have one law firm. The more people under one company the lower the costs. Leigh day clearly state that the more people join the less we pay if claim is successful.

Last week they sent an email saying that now in November there will be hearing in court for 1400 people and cost still remains at 25% of any compensation.

Asda's appeal should be sorted in spring.

optout

I think it will snowball now that a few different firms have cottoned on to this, and the competition between them will make for more wide-spread publicity in the medium term.
This could turn into the next PPI. And about time too.
I AM NOT A REP, BUT......

Welsh-Hugh

I think the sexist claim is a non starter to be honest. In distribution all roles are offered regardless of gender. My DC have hundreds of women all doing the same work as men.
The fact of the matter is DC work is a lot harder due to many reasons. Too many to go into. That's why virtually every DC in country have many many vacancies. Some DC's hundreds of vacancies. Stores however have virtually done. The pay is often greater due to supply and demand of Labour. Not skills

Classy Bird

Red75

Quote from: Retrokid on 09-11-18, 11:04AM
I think the sexist claim is a non starter to be honest. In distribution all roles are offered regardless of gender. My DC have hundreds of women all doing the same work as men.
The fact of the matter is DC work is a lot harder due to many reasons. Too many to go into. That's why virtually every DC in country have many many vacancies. Some DC's hundreds of vacancies. Stores however have virtually done. The pay is often greater due to supply and demand of Labour. Not skills

I can assure you that taking the stock of those cages that you pack and putting it on the shelves is similarly hard. Do you not think that the person who puts out those cages of tins or jars that you assemble isn't working hard and isn't under some of the same pressures that you are?  Maybe you should have some consideration for the people who are working those cages. Honestly, look at some of those cages that leave the distribution centre and tell me that putting that on the shelves doesn't look like hard work. There is a belief that some jobs in the economy, jobs predominantly but not exclusively, performed by women are undervalued. Are those staff serving customers on checkouts, putting labels on shelves, serving our customers, filling shelves of any less value to the company?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk