Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
18-07-18, 02:20AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 78490
  • Total Topics: 1637
  • Online Today: 94
  • Online Ever: 826
  • (23-02-15, 06:44PM)
Users Online
Users: 5
Guests: 56
Total: 61

Author Topic: Work related stress within tesco  (Read 2655 times)

optout

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
Work related stress within tesco
« on: 16-04-18, 03:22AM »
How many people in your place of work have taken time off due to work related stress since drastic and chums took over?

Would you say that the cases where all genuine?

Were they mainly GAs or Managers?

Is the figure more, or, less than the previous years, in the BD (Before Dips***) era?

What were the main causes (are they store specific {because of local management}, or more company specific)?

What are the possible cures?

Were these people treated with the sensitivity and dignity that they deserved?

Does tesco as a company cope well with mental health conditions?

Are management and GAs treated equally when it comes to Mental health conditions?

Is the situation going to get better, or, worse, and Why?

Anything else that you care to add to the debate on work related stress within tesco?
« Last Edit: 16-04-18, 03:26AM by optout »
I AM NOT A REP, BUT......

lordadmiral

• VLH Supporter
  • Know All
Re: Work related stress within tesco
« Reply #1 on: 16-04-18, 04:42AM »
We had few people. GAs, managers, we could have more but most of them simply left. As I am aware before Tesco crisis there was no problems.
My manager w**ker just laughed when I told him that people are stressed, very low morale in store, people burned out without energy or incentive to work.  And I am fed up working for two and him coming and asking if I can later help elsewhere.  He doesn't even look that I need help with my work and he wants time from me.

I am short fused person and I am surprised I didn't cut his face with a broken bottle.  They can sleep two hours in canteen while everyone is working and all is great.  He makes no effort to deal with those who do not perform.

GreenGrocer

• Sad Muppet
« Reply #2 on: 16-04-18, 10:20AM »
We lost some of our night shift to days due to this. The managers would have a cheek to question anyone's performance when they cannot perform themselves.

DJS1949

« Reply #3 on: 16-04-18, 10:43AM »
I’m actually off work for work related stress and mental health issues and the company have done nothing to help me whatsoever. They don’t even respond to my emails anymore I’ve actually given up trying to ask them for help any longer as they do not care one bit.Tesco Mental Health Awarenesd week they are just jumping on a bandwagon to try and look good in the public eye.There totally clueless.

blutopia

• VLH Supporter
  • Smart Arse
« Reply #4 on: 16-04-18, 10:48AM »
Managers believe only themselves work under any stress.  CAs claiming work related stress are just shirkers in managers' minds and they won't recognise the condition because a) it may imply they are responsible for causing it, b) it would require them to change (improve/correct) their management style, and c) there is no need for them to change because there is no accountability for how managers treat their staff - in case of complaint/grievance, managers always defend managers.

Duracell

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #5 on: 16-04-18, 11:02AM »
Hard to answer the topical questions in the opening post.
It's all individually confidential, or at least should be.

I’m actually off work for work related stress and mental health issues and the company have done nothing to help me whatsoever. They don’t even respond to my emails anymore I’ve actually given up trying to ask them for help any longer as they do not care one bit.Tesco Mental Health Awarenesd week they are just jumping on a bandwagon to try and look good in the public eye.There totally clueless.

Is the reason you are off given as  'stress' or 'work related stress', I ask because I believe in the later situation where the stress is caused at work the company have a duty and process to refer to OH or so I have been led to believe,  If your absence has been defined as work related stress I find it worrying that you haven't  recieved any support or communication.

To be fair managers can think what they like, once  "Work Related Stress" refrain from work is on your fit note, it's very hard to ignore or dismiss.
« Last Edit: 16-04-18, 11:03AM by Duracell »
My Opinion is exactly that, Mine.  Based on my view of what I know , see and what I would do.
"Being a rep doesn't make a person right anymore than not being a rep makes a person wrong " 

Duracell.

madness

• Know All
« Reply #6 on: 16-04-18, 01:27PM »
The s*** managers in our store are under stress you can see it and they put that onto their departments.  Which then stresses out their colleagues and thus more sick days/ stress on those that are in. So it becomes self fulfilling. The good managers who have looked after thier staff have staff willing to pick up overtime for them and swap shifts making the workload easier and less stress for both colleague and manager so again self fulfilling.   

GreenGrocer

• Sad Muppet
« Reply #7 on: 16-04-18, 02:15PM »
All the managers are under pressure in my place with the new SM. Fresh have a lazy TM who few want to work overtime for. Then you have grocery which has the same clueless manager as always who can't do anything for himself who is trying to operate on half numbers. No fun atoll! 

DJS1949

« Reply #8 on: 16-04-18, 02:35PM »
I’m off with work related stress.

Disappointed 64

« Reply #9 on: 16-04-18, 03:36PM »
I'm writing on this subject as I don't know how to create posts but I feel it is my duty to let everyone know what has happened in our store. A hardworking Nightshift worker went to his manager a few nights ago and told him he felt unwell and had pains running up his arm, the manager was unsympathetic and told him to finish packing out his cage. The night shift worker ended up in hospital with a heart attack and needed two stents put in, unfortunately he took another attack last night and very sadly died, you can imagine how everyone is feeling both angry and upset.

GreenGrocer

• Sad Muppet
« Reply #10 on: 16-04-18, 04:42PM »
Dissapointed64

That's terrible what store you at?

DJS1949

« Reply #11 on: 16-04-18, 04:54PM »
Disappointed 64
Condolences to all concerned hope the gentleman’s family can cope at this very difficult time.  This shows exactly where we are at no compassion for anyone at all.  No respect for the staff in their time of need, hopefully the manager feels ashamed that he took no notice of the gentleman concerned.

RIP fellow colleague.

baldeagle

• VLH Supporter
  • Regular Pain
« Reply #12 on: 16-04-18, 04:56PM »
Disappointed 64  sorry to hear this .But please do not mention the store you work at

lucgeo

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #13 on: 16-04-18, 06:22PM »
I have to agree, do not mention the store...it could be unhelpful should, and I hope do, the family wish to take legal action against that manager and store.

My deepest sympathies to the family, and also his colleagues. I dare say that manager is not in work?? He should have been suspended whilst an investigation is ongoing ???
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

GreenGrocer

• Sad Muppet
« Reply #14 on: 16-04-18, 07:20PM »
Someone should complain to Dave Lewis about the managers incompetence

Nomad

• Administrator
  • Sad Muppet
  • Who dares, wins.
« Reply #15 on: 16-04-18, 07:46PM »
My condolences to the family and friends of the gentleman.
Nomad ( Forum Admin )
It's better to be up in arms than down on your knees.

Equalizer87

• Sad Muppet
« Reply #16 on: 20-04-18, 05:10PM »
My condolences to the Gentleman's family, I'm horrified that something like this was allowed to happen.

It's sad reality of Tesco now, they paint themselves as a "People Company" yet an occurrence like this prove them to be very different in reality.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"

lucgeo

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #17 on: 21-04-18, 11:06AM »
Sad as it is, this is not an isolated incident....similar scenario in a nearby store in my group. Hardworking, reliable TM, never off sick, denied a request, over two thirds into his shift, to go home as feeling unwell, even though he looked terrible. Wthin a few days he had a major life changing health incident, resulting in permanent disability, unable to work now and sc**ping by on disability benefits  :-X :-X
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

GreenGrocer

• Sad Muppet
« Reply #18 on: 21-04-18, 12:01PM »
Hearing people stories it is no surprise people end up hanging from the rafters and committing suicide. The MM are clueless. Only interested in filling shelves on half numbers and getting staff backs up who are essentially on minimum pay.  Sadly it take incidents like these now before they will take a step down from there high horse which is often short lived.  Then they are back to there their bully boy tactics.

optout

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #19 on: 21-04-18, 11:28PM »
@GreenGrocer :thumbup:

unfortunately those 'step downs' are only temporary,and then the 'sick-pathetic-game' continues.

Remember one of the key attributes of 'tesco' managers is supposed to be 'RESILIENCE', which they think, is akin to 'The Terminator' going forwards whatever happens and most importantly 'without empathy'. And after 3 years of the current executive I have seen no change in that requirement, so it is, and will remain tesco culture.
I AM NOT A REP, BUT......