Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

28-03-24, 11:09PM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,126
  • Total Topics: 630
  • Online today: 325
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 293
Total: 295

Being forced to change from nights to days because someone is leaving

Started by craig77, 14-11-20, 08:09AM

Previous topic - Next topic

craig77

Basically i work full time nights and have done so for around 5 and a half years and now the other person i work with is moving to another store (there are only the 2 of us on nights).
i am now informed by my manager that as are store does not warrant a night team she can not authorise a replacement for my colleague who is leaving and that i have the following choices
1.move to another store and continue on nights - this is basically not an option for me as i do not drive and there is nothing close
2.move onto the days,still not sorted hours out yet but the problem with that is although i have worked for Tesco 30 years i am not till trained and really do not want to have to be.I am really nervous about it.also and this is a big one,although i would retain my night premium i would loose my paid break money and my step up money for running shift all in all about £300 a month.
3.Leave by resignation.

Please can anyone help me with any of this ? The money i suppose is the largest issue especially as i have been told that another store near us lost their night team and the person who told me thought that the night workers kept all night payments

NightAndDay

That sounds like a redundancy situation to me, "not warranting a night team" means your role is no longer needed and redundancy must be paid, it would be unreasonable for you to switch to days as you're a night worker and have been for a long time, I would talk to the CAB about your legal options.

They may be resistant to offering redundancy as 30 years service is an awful lot of redundancy money.

gomezz

If you have worked for the company for that long then they cannot compel you to become till-trained.
"The progress of the kart is more important than its direction"

lackofinterest

as night and day said, i think it's a redundancy situation. don't accept anything until you check up on this!!

Morris999

@craig77
What kind of store are you in, Extra, super,Metro or Express?
It kind of looks like your previous or current SM has either not followed a process a few years back,( when a lot of stores lost there night team) or has made up shifts to make things easier for them at that time,
Which is now coming back to bite them.
From what you have put, it’s sounds like your in an Express, as one near me has a set up similar to you, even though they shouldn’t.

If they cannot replace the other colleague, what happens when one of you are on holiday/sick?

craig77

i'm in express.usually we agree to do days for a week when the other is on holiday but we get all elements of our pay.i know the night team was set up about 6 or 7 years ago and it was a corporate thing that they were sanctioned to do it was not just our store but the other local store lost its night team about 2 yrs ago but as i said i believe that they went on to days with full pay.as for sick were never off well almost never.

NightAndDay

I'm almost certain that when its decided that they're going to do away with a department or night working that there should be a consultation process for the effected, when you're hired as a night worker the night premiums form part of your contracted pay, meaning if they do do away with nights you would still by law need to be remunerated the amount shown in the weekly amount on your employment contract.

As mentioned it does sound like a Store Manager has bungled the process (quelle surprise), I would advise going to the union and getting legal advice in terms of redundancy (unless you want to work days.)

dotnochance

If you’re worried about doing tills, don’t be you come I under the agreement that anyone who started before, erm I think 2005? Don’t need to be till trained

Nomad

craig77, a night worker cannot be forced onto days against their will, it will be a redundancy situation which must entail negotiation and redundancy figures.  dotnochance is correct if you do accept (your choice) move to days you cannot be forced to do till training and go on tills, you can of course (your choice) choose to be till trained.

You need a lot of first hand guidance concerning the position you are in.
Nomad ( Forum Admin )
It's better to be up in arms than down on your knees.

person7

If you don't want to be till trained tell them... In my store 60% staff can't use tills.

jb66

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk