News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

28-03-24, 07:30PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,118
  • Total Topics: 630
  • Online today: 325
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 319
Total: 322

DotCom Shift Change Trials

Started by helpme, 16-06-19, 05:29PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fatboy

gomezz

4 on /3 off?  So you will be working the same days of each week.  What about Sunday working?
"The progress of the kart is more important than its direction"

Unlimited Ambient

Personally.. in some of the places where orders are heavier this will be really tough on the drivers. My store is somewhat busy but you're guaranteed at least 40+ ambient trays per run. Even on the evening vans.

I know myself even a fit lad 44 hours would be really pushing my body and especially some of the older guys.

Is this supposed to solve the problem of getting shifts covered? Or is this getting the most out of as little staff as possible?

If I had alternate weekends off as a result it would be worth it but I think it will be a load of p**s to be honest.

Without 3 loading periods the van would need to be taking maximum load out each time no? ..
Probably explains the no bags decision and the increased rate of picking so that a Max load for each run could be achieved

Anyway I personally think it's a terrible idea looking at it from a physical point of view. Its going to take it's toll on drivers and it's going to result in a higher turnover

Would really really love to hear from someone who's on this trial 👌

Villager No.6

Rolling 4 on 3 off over a 14 week period. Eg:
Week 1; in Sunday, off Monday, in Tuesday,Wednesday,Thursday, off Friday, Saturday
Week 2; in Sunday/Monday, off Tuesday/Wednesday/Thursday, in Friday,Saturday
Week 3; off Sunday, in Monday/Tuesday/Wednesday/Thursday, off Friday,Saturday
Week 4; off Sunday, in Monday/Tuesday, off Wednesday/Thursday, in Friday/Saturday
Week 5; in Sunday, off Monday/Tuesday, in Wednesday/Thursday/Friday, off Saturday
And so on for 14 weeks then revert to week 1 and start again.
In any 14 week period you get any one day off 6 times, so 6 Sundays in 14, 6 Mondays etc and 3 days in a row 6 times (though you'll have worked 4 in a row!). You always get 2 consecutive days off every week. Only 14 drivers can work on this pattern, the rest will be put on fixed contracts
By choosing a rolling shift you automatically opt in to work Sundays. If you can't/won't do Sundays or you want to work less than 44hrs then you have to apply for the fixed contract by filling in an availability sheet giving hours and days you will work. A rota will then be created and the shifts you are to work will be given to you, if you don't like that shift pattern it's very much take it or leave it. Similarly if you state you're prepared to work between 30 and 36hrs but the only hours available are 29 you'll be told there's no shift for you, thanks and goodbye.

fatboy

gomezz

And what happens when most of the drivers on the rolling contract subsequently opt out of Sunday working as is their right?

fatboy

And also what happens if none of the drivers agree to go onto the new rolling contract?

Nomad

A new starter or an existing employee may agree to the 4-3 rolling contract, then sometime in the future, due to necessity, drop Sunday working this would be an act that they must not be penalised for.
Nomad ( Forum Admin )
It's better to be up in arms than down on your knees.

helpme

Quote from: fatboy on 11-08-19, 10:42AM
And also what happens if none of the drivers agree to go onto the new rolling contract?
I don't know about other stores but we can't get enough drivers now. And with the increase in van loads and the pretend pay rise many are looking elsewhere for work.
It just shows how distant head office and those deciding these things are from what is happening on the shop floor.

fatboy

Yes same in our store. We keep recruiting new drivers & within a few weeks they're gone. Must cost a fortune to keep recruiting newbies & putting them through all the training for the sake of a few weeks. Cant see this rolling contract working at all. But as you mention, the people making these decisions are completely oblivious to the real world. Also remember how tough it was a few weeks ago when the temperature was in the mid 30's? Imagine doing a 12 hour shift in that without air con in the Van's. People will drop like flies.

Villager No.6

What would be deemed a necessity that would allow you to opt out of Sundays despite deliberately signing the rolling contract and therefore automatically opting in?
Surely they'll just say, you said you'd do it now you're in breach of contract.
And if one does and gets Sundays off then others will want to do the same.

Think they're going about it the wrong way, at the moment max hours any of our drivers do are 36.5
Would've been better to make the rolling shift 3 on 4 off. Max 36hrs. More drivers likely to sign up for that!

gomezz

lucgeo

You have a legal right to opt out of Sunday working, regardless of your contract. Indeed you should be informed of that right when you sign the contract. You don't need to give a reason. So if you agree to work Sundays, then further down the line decide to serve the optout form giving 3 months notice, ( 1 month if you weren't informed of your right to optout) you will not be in breach of contract, you cannot suffer a detriment because of your decision by being dismissed or held at a disadvantage.

If the others want to do the same, they can. Your not letting them down by not working, they get to choose same as you.

Err....beat me to it while I was typing gomezz, your reply gets straight to the point  :thumbup:
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

fatboy

Think every driver would sign up to 3 on 4 off including me!

Nomad

Sorry, my "due to necessity" comment was unnecessary and perhaps misled some, I was trying to imply that some may have a need to drop Sunday working, but as has been said no reason is needed and none has to be given.
Nomad ( Forum Admin )
It's better to be up in arms than down on your knees.

Nameless79

Tesco does not have a 3 month policy on this as referred to the work smart website tescos policy is,

"You just need to complete an 'Opt-Out of Sunday working' form and hand it to your manager.

Your manager will arrange to meet with you to understand if you would like to work alternative hours, and if so, whether these hours are available.

They will also agree the date when you stop working on a Sunday if you would like this to be as soon as possible rather than in one month's time."

So it would be as soon as possible on an agreed date up to 1 month as per policy for opting out

gomezz

The one possible loophole the company may try to exploit is to argue that dot.com drivers do not count as retail workers for the purpose of the law.  No idea if that has ever been challenged in court.

NightAndDay

https://www.gov.uk/sunday-working

This does mention a little bit about non retail and betting shop workers working sunday, basically says they can't be forced to unless they've agreed to it and it's in their contract.

lucgeo

I would think unless they were based in a dark store, they would be classed as retail workers. They clock in, in a trading store, and they do picks on the shop floor when required.
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

robbie34

Is there a premium being paid as this becomes unsociable

fatboy

The driver premium payment is being increased from September.

takethemoneyandrun

Quote from: Villager No.6 on 11-08-19, 01:02PM
What would be deemed a necessity that would allow you to opt out of Sundays despite deliberately signing the rolling contract and therefore automatically opting in?
Surely they'll just say, you said you'd do it now you're in breach of contract.
And if one does and gets Sundays off then others will want to do the same.

Think they're going about it the wrong way, at the moment max hours any of our drivers do are 36.5
Would've been better to make the rolling shift 3 on 4 off. Max 36hrs. More drivers likely to sign up for that!
You don't have to have a necessity hun...its your right   :-[

Gooner83

Is this trial actually taking place as we speak? Would have thought someone from a trial store would have poked their head in and confirmed / denied the guessed shift patterns?

NightAndDay

Quote from: robbie34 on 11-08-19, 06:51PM
Is there a premium being paid as this becomes unsociable

Same premium payments as the rest of the hourly paid colleagues, they do get an enhanced skills payment in September but that's all.

gomezz

Someone has poked their head into another place and confirmed the trial is happening.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk