Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

28-03-24, 10:10PM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,126
  • Total Topics: 630
  • Online today: 325
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 4
Guests: 303
Total: 307

Cancelling overtime policy?

Started by C0110, 23-06-18, 06:57PM

Previous topic - Next topic

C0110

I am constantly being sent home early during overtime shifts with no prior warning or option to work on another department because I am not needed on my own department(dotcom). I have been sent home after working as little as 2 hours of my agreed shift.

I am also having to decline overtime on other departments because I have already agreed to my own department and then getting the entire shift cancelled on me with less than 24 hours notice. This is causing me to lose out financially however when I argue this, I am told that they are within in their rights to cancel on me with no notice.

Is there any policy which covers how much notice management/team support need to give staff before cancelling agreed overtime shifts or hours?

Dorothy C

I don't know the answer but it doesn't seem right to me. Surely some other department could use you?

101reef

If you're on a flexible contract and sign for your hours then they have to give you 24 hours notice minimum before cancelling your shift. If you have signed for them on a record of hours sheet (Which is the correct process) you have the right to say no to it being cancelled. They cannot send you home early if you have signed for hours. If your not signing for them on a record of hours sheet don't know where you stand coz the process isn't actually being followed correctly.

101reef

I believe the union would say that you should be paid if they're sending you home. Get in touch with your Rep they will soon stop sending you home if that have to pay you anyway. As soon as you accept overtime it's an agreement. They wouldn't allow you to just go home part shift. It works both ways. Good luck  :)

horatiocain

We had this happen on several occasions in my dotcom and the PM came up with a simple solution.
You get told at the point of clocking in whether they'll need you for the whole shift, one of union reps sprted it out.
Overtime shifts are essentially a temporary contract between yourself and Tesco for a single days work, I'd raise a formal grievance about it happening, telling them they breaching your trust, also they're inhibiting your ability to work in other departments and second jobs.

Yogurt

It clearly states in the policy that no single shift should be less than 3 hours.  So where cancelling OT isn't mentioned anywhere in writing, the hours you should be working in one shift is. So that is a clear breach of policy.

lucgeo

And yet, if you don't turn up, or phone in sick for an overtime shift, do they treat it as an unauthorised absence? Does it go on your sickness % ???
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

madness

No it doesn't go against you.

JL

Overtime is you doing the company a favour. You should be able to start and finish when you decide within a 10 to 7 shift for example. In my store not turning up for OT never goes towards your sickness percentage. I know it's different elsewhere. Although I would be careful as if you are starting late, taking shorter breaks and leaving early they will mess up your wages. I got paid for full shift a few times and they tried to get overpayments back.

Equalizer87

In all the stores I worked in OT sickness was used against you, hence the reason I never did OT.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"

Walker

The sickness and absence policy was reviewed in June 2018. In stores it remains the case that absence on overtime or flexishifts can't be included in your sickness absence percentage but can be treated as a disciplinary matter.

Equalizer87

Doesn't matter what the policy said, I know what happened and that it was used against st myself and other staff on our absence percentage.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"

lucgeo

So if absence becomes a disciplinary matter, on what grounds are they disciplined?? If they turn up for work, paying fares, petrol etc....to be told that the overtime is cancelled or reduced, then surely the colleagues can grievance that they agreed to the hours of the shift and therefore should remain and be paid. Always used to be the rule that if a manager sent you home, then you would be paid. Admittedly that was if you were sick....though would argue the case, I'm here mate and I'm staying put :o
It all, as always, is stacked in Tescos favour. So the easy solution is to phone in sick if you don't want to do the shift as they can't then discipline you ??? Which then leaves everyone else short staffed, tunnel vision as usual tesco :-X :-X

madness

Usually when asked if they want to go home early from an overtime shift people choose too. Have never sent anyone home from overtime.

Walker

Quote from: lucgeo on 22-07-18, 04:45PM
So if absence becomes a disciplinary matter, on what grounds are they disciplined?? If they turn up for work, paying fares, petrol etc....to be told that the overtime is cancelled or reduced, then surely the colleagues can grievance that they agreed to the hours of the shift and therefore should remain and be paid. Always used to be the rule that if a manager sent you home, then you would be paid. Admittedly that was if you were sick....though would argue the case, I'm here mate and I'm staying put :o
It all, as always, is stacked in Tescos favour. So the easy solution is to phone in sick if you don't want to do the shift as they can't then discipline you ??? Which then leaves everyone else short staffed, tunnel vision as usual tesco :-X :-X

Disciplined on the ground of being unable to fulfill your contract. Same, ultimately, as the way you'd lose your job under sickness absence... Just a different process.

Incidentally, you're not obliged to leave during a shift whether overtime or core hours. Once you've arrived at a shift Tesco should honour it.

Nikkih4586

So  a question I'm  been on and off sick now for about 6 months and it's on going I work nights if asked to move to days on checkouts because it would be better for my health but I'm off at least one week in a month they have all my paperwork from hosptial and doctors I keep them informed all the time can they sack me I had 1st warning about 3 months ago for being off but I was in hosptial

Used

What if you have been asked up to six weeks to do an overtime shift each week and then they decide to cancel your last overtime shift

Fixxer

I've only had this a couple of times but each time I've come in to find no work the manager has been quite reasonable and as long as you work for a full hour then you get paid for 3 (minimum shift length?)
Had to find something to do for an hour on another department but after that sent home and paid for the 3.

If cancelled in advance or less than an hours work available then no pay - seems quite fair to me although if it was happening often enough I may think otherwise of course.

JustJack

Most the managers couldn't organise a p**s up in a brewery in my place. They promise you all the overtime you want then tell you last minute it is off.  Had to go out into town and beg today to make sure I'm OK for the September pay. Thankfully a few good Samaritans gave me over £100 in just over an hour.   

gomezz

While you were still wearing company uniform?
"The progress of the kart is more important than its direction"

lucgeo

Quote from: JustJack on 03-09-18, 06:03PM
Most the managers couldn't organise a p**s up in a brewery in my place. They promise you all the overtime you want then tell you last minute it is off.  Had to go out into town and beg today to make sure I'm OK for the September pay. Thankfully a few good Samaritans gave me over £100 in just over an hour.

You're joking right ??? ???

alf

Dunno, call me cynical but the post sounds eerily similar to posts made by a certain member...

mama_bear2006

Not sure how to start a new post so hopefully someone picks this up.

I have been asked to do overtime for the next three Tuesdays (including Tuesday just gone) which I agreed to. However a problem has come up in that my husband has been called away for a regional roadshow for his job on the Tuesday night I am due to work one of the overtimes. I have nobody to watch my children as we have no family near us.

What can I do?  I started at Tesco in March and my probationary period is nearly up and will go on to a permanent contract in June. I'm worried that if I say anything they might use it against giving me my permanent contract but I can't leave my children home alone over night either.

chris9997

Clearly you can't leave your children , I would tell them asap with maybe to do the extra ot another time

oldfashionedplayer

Your best bet is to talk to them, say you can't do it, it's parental responsibility, and with overtime it's optional anyhow, so your are helping them out, whether you've agreed or not doesn't matter, long as you give 24 hour notice your good, less than 24 hours for emergencies is fine too, it's a reasonable request on your part to suggest to do a different day instead if you want to, what we used to get told / tell new ones was, you say yes until you get the contract then it's no no no, but if you work with them, then you should be good.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk