News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

28-03-24, 10:55AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,115
  • Total Topics: 630
  • Online today: 316
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 5
Guests: 295
Total: 300

Backdoor accidents

Started by Chairswan, 18-05-06, 03:49AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Geezer100

think I have a problem with Agency Drivers and my gate!
M/wich turned up tonite, opened one 1/2 of gate. Went to open other, and driver has "forgot to apply h/brake". Rolled forward bending the metal bolt that locks the gate to the ground.
it could not be moved back or forwards, and has had to be cut of with a circular saw that the passing builders doing the dot comedy extension had. Driver admitted in front of a section mngr and a senior mngr it was his fault.
He caused damage to his unit - namly the plastic visor at the top of windscreen.
I was unable to take pictures, cos my head was in the clouds this morning when I left home, and 4 got my mobile phone.

Now, I do not hold a LGV class 1 licencse, nor a car license, only a provisional one.
But I am 99% if not 100% sure, that it's SOP to apply the h/brake when parked.
Perhaps a driver can confirm this?   ???
The reason the driver gave for not applying it, was that he thought it was in reverse!

Chairswan

Well im no HGV driver, but i do have a car licence & when i learnt to drive a car which weighed just less then a tonne, i was taught to apply the handbrake everytime you stop at a junction, at lights & before you switch the engine off, im quite shall it applies to 40 tonne HGVs too >:D  ;) :-x :o
It's a shame you didn't have your camera phone with you wasn't it ???    :P  
At one store they had a polish driver who as he went out took of the store, he caught the trailer curtain a heras fence outside the yard & ripped half of it open, luckily he would had to pick half a load of stock from the ground before he knew what happened>:D:-x
Now it's time to get the cloak & dagger out!

Geezer100

Yes, I have had a few car driving lessons, and been taught the same, so surely same with a HGV. with a 12m trailer.
i don't think it was my day today - any chance when I go to sleep, that I can wake up and do it all over again (like the film GroundHog)
First of all I leave l8, then the cash machine has no money,  then I relaiese I leave my fone at home, and I very nearly l8 for work!

If any1 can wing it with the big man up there (assuming there is 1) please do.

keithwill73

Talking of accidents how is the state of your flooring in the warehouse and loading bay. ours is dreadful. and how do they repair it bung some stuff in holes like plumbers mate lasts a week . . this still ongoing from a bodged refit in 03. lost count of number of cages going over . good job we fit have to be to run away

it was good once

Geezer100

W/house floor not to bad, but produce chiller floor?
Once lot a cage wheel on a full cage of juice in there (we put all fresh deliv except meat in there) good thing I can run! Still nout done

Chairswan

Will be interesting to see how many people does it take to injure themselves due to pot holes developing on warehouse floors before the company decides they need to take action & if they do will they pay out for the proper materials to be used for that job ???  >:D :-x

The last time my store warehouse had some potholes filled, they used tacky cement based filler which a year later has now started to errode resulting in another hole appearing again :(    :P     Previously contractors have used a vinyl based material to fill them which are excellent, but obviously stresco think that's too expensive :-\  :(

maggie

come and look at ours been in log book everyday since starting log book and when it rains you need a brolly all duvets and pillows wasted gone moulded with damp and rain in eletrics is quite amusing for us we just go sit upstairs have used same stuff as you waste of time put metal strips down now its trip as you walk

Geezer100

Our 'cowshed' floor becomes a paddling pool when raining, due to the water running down off the side of guirders, and forming a big puddle
MM know about it, and apparently nothing can be done. Just keep clearing it up.

BLUE MOON

log book my arse !!! who really takes any notice of them ???? face it guys and girls they only care if the problem stops £££`s going in the till !!!!!

"I see the damage done by the enemy....but I also see the spirit of an unconquerable people."

Sanmay

Wow BM ...long time no hear, where the devil you bin?? ;D

Sanmay (Moderator)

I'm the oldest swinger in town

billybong

Nearly all TESCO LGVs have an Audible Safety Buzzer (ASB) that sounds if the Handbrake has been left off and the door opened, this is to warn Drivers to apply the handbrake and hopefully prevent runaway vehicles. :-[
However the ASB you experienced was Another Stupid Bug**r that need to think what he is doing.>:(

It's hard to make a comeback, when you haven't been anywhere
Kindest regards.
Billybong.

Geezer100

This wasn;t a Tesco LGV, it was a subby unit, so may not have been agency dreiver, Subby driver.
My apologies.

I was unloading a wagon one day, and the driver was pushing the pallets of OJ/Water/Lemonaide from the front of the wagon to the back, and i would move it over the plates.. and down to the next person.

I did this a few times, and turned around and a pallet of OJ was comin streight for me, and hit me at speed. The front of the pallet, where the "arms" attach onto, went over my steel toe cap and wedged inbetween my foot and the steel, and crushed my foot. I went back onto my arse with my foot still underneath the pallet.

An accident report was filled in, and I was sent home ealry    :P  

Anne

That sounds like quite a nasty injury. Has there been an investigation, or any other comeback from the comapny with regard  to this?

Anne (moderator)
Muppetry in motion !

There is a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow.

Nope.. my store is pretty clicky. If i was to bring anything up. i will spend my days doing all the c**ppy jobs. its best if i leave it.

Another thing i remember was when our store was going through its refresh.. and the warehouse and yard was being extended.. in the winter... we had a long/high ramp running down the side of our yard for about 30mtrs.. it was made of scafold polls and planks and was very narrow. it was snowing heavily at the time. and we had to push cages up the narrow wooden ramp covered in snow. with no gloves at 6am and again at 3pm.

it would take 2 people per cage to just about make it up. and everytime.. we would hit our knukles against the scafold poles, or fall over, or get hit in the shins/ankles. and there was a gap on the top of the ramp, which we would hit and sometimes cages would tip over.

it has got to be the worst thing I've ever experienced in work. and naturaly, the managers would all wait at the top of the ramp to take the cages into the warehouse. and a the time. and only 1 of us was back door trained at the time.

Anne

Did you raise an issue with the health and safety rep at the time? For no other reason than that this does not seem to me (  with the little backdoor training that I have had) to be a correct and sensible way of protecting your back against injury.. as per the guidelines and posters issued by the health and safety executive, working hand in hand with Tesco.

Anne (moderator)
Muppetry in motion !

There is a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow.

I dont know who.. or even if i have a H&S rep. and I've been there 5years!

Mab

Another case of someone jumping up to grab the hook for the bulkhead, the hook went straight through his hand and was left hanging by his hand shouting for help. The driver and backdoorman had to lift him off the hook and put a stack of green tray under him for support. This happened about 11am in our 2nd Harlow of the day. I was doing the late shift and when I was unloading our 6pm Harlow (same trailer) there was skin and blood still on the hook  and bulkhead.

hotlegs56

These dont sound like a cut finger injury, but very serious ones..... is anybody doing anything about the h&s issues, what rules are being flowted, who's responsible!!!! Come on something has to be done nobody goes to work to gain some serious injury for the h3ll of it >:(

jb66

quote:
Originally posted by Mab

Another case of someone jumping up to grab the hook for the bulkhead, the hook went straight through his hand and was left hanging by his hand shouting for help. The driver and backdoorman had to lift him off the hook and put a stack of green tray under him for support. This happened about 11am in our 2nd Harlow of the day. I was doing the late shift and when I was unloading our 6pm Harlow (same trailer) there was skin and blood still on the hook  and bulkhead.

Also happened in our store a few years back

jb66

As usual a Car was sc**ped on thursday by lorry trying to turn into our yard.

And another this time it was a car not a lorry.  We havea  barrier to stop traffic to let lorry in and a car drove through it snapping it in two, moved the barrier out the way and the car just drove off.  Must have been a write off... weird will get a photo on monday

The person crushed by the falling gate, was a backdoorman at Leyton.

Typical Tesco problem, small yard and big lorries, reverse them in from the road, he hit the gate, it fell, he dead !!!!

A hard way for the firm to learn a leason, but now the store is 10m Rear Steer only, so that they can turn around in the yard

"i'm in charge", "wheres my hut", "dont park there"!

jb66

there was a nasty one at my store at the beginning of the year, we had a team of staff from a new store that was opening over 2 train them up and on the monday morning, because it was a delivery day i ended up training one of them on how to bring in deliveries, even though there was 2 of us there to pull it in the driver decided to come down off the back of the lorry and unload it with us, we got2 the last 2 cages and as myself and the girl i was training put the 1st of those 2 on 2 r lift the driver decided to pull the last 1 in on his own, the front wheels went down into a small hole in the concrete outside and the driver didn't notice, then the wheels went back down the slope leading into the warehouse but rather than letting go of the cage the driver kept pulling and the top of the cage fell onto his feet, the shock of it then caused him to fall backwards and he hit the warehouse floor with a smack, then when the paramedics got there after giving him gas and air they got him to pull himself up onto a strecher, he spent 3 days in hospital and was then sent home with what they thought was a bruised spine, 1 week later the pain still hadn't gone so he went back and had a 2nd x-ray done, he had actually fractured a vertibrate and has since sued the hospital

iworktoohard

wey! i'm pleased. just had dinner with a bunch of managers and colleagues for xmas, and was speaking to my manager, and we plan to get the risk assessors back in to give us an updated assessment. it hasnt been done in 5 years, and we've had a hella lot changed since then. \m/

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk