Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

28-03-24, 07:47PM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,119
  • Total Topics: 630
  • Online today: 325
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 4
Guests: 291
Total: 295

Single parent. hours affecting my child

Started by cr56, 25-04-10, 04:50PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cr56

Hi. I currently work outside of school hours and my child has to spend 3 or 4 hrs on his own after school untill I get home. He is 14 and just recently he has started getting into trouble (nothing major) after school. It is getting increasingly difficult for me devote all my attention to work while I am there as I'm constantly worrying about him getting home from school ok. Where do Tesco stand on the abilility to change my hrs so that I could be at home outside of school time? Do they have a duty to listen to and accomodate my requests to change my hrs in these circumstances?
Thx for any help
CR56

The Mrs

Yes, they have a duty to listen and accommodate you as far as they possibly can.

Have a look at this: http://www.usdaw.org.uk/equality/resource_library/1109773615_11028.html

and talk to your rep for more information, he/she can help you with this.

bramble61

hi i to am having the same problems at work  but i work full time in the day. My granson goes to nursery in the week and before now they have phoned me at work to come and collect him because hes had a high temperature and i let my manager know that i have to go  and get him and all i got was why don't they put his f***ing head  under cold water and this has happened a few times they just make you feel guilty all the time plus i get let down by my ex husband over weekends which don't help it always causes rows here with me and him  wot makes me cross is I've helped him out many a time before i had my granson with me and he seems to forget that. oh by the way granson is a year old  and I'm all hes got

Mother Goose

Brambles61 all I can say to that is "dignity at work"....you can choose to ignore it or do something about it and put on a grievance. No manager has the right to talk to you in such a way and swearing at that!

Anne

Sorry, I can't post a link but if you look up "parental leave" on the yougov website, I'm certain it gives carer grandparents the same rights as parents in this situation.
I would out a grievance in about this MM. He has no right to speak like that either in front of you, or behind your back.

The Mrs

The right to ask for flexible working applies to anyone who has parental responsibility - parents, grandparents, guardians, foster carers ...

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Employment/Employees/Flexibleworking/DG_10029491

Tenko

I recently used the 'flexible working' option recently, and even with 'right hours, right place' being rolled out in our store, I still have managed to change my working week to suit my needs (and also tesco's needs - it is a two-way thing). Get your rep to help you out with the application.

Bramble61 :Incidently, I have never been more angry as to when I read what that manager had said about your grandkid's health. If a mm had said that about my son, then I'm afraid I would be out of a job >:(

Anne

Let us know how you get on Bramble 61.

gomezz

Quote from: The Mrs on 27-04-10, 12:22AM
The right to ask for flexible working applies to anyone who has parental responsibility

Does that include those who feel the responsibility of not having had any parents for a long time as they died relatively young and are worried they may do similar so want to enjoy a good life if not a long life?  :(
"The progress of the kart is more important than its direction"

The Mrs

gomezz

"The progress of the kart is more important than its direction"

cr56

Thanks for all your replies. Still mulling over my options. Bramble I don't know how you managed to keepyour cool in that situation. I would have been straight upstairs to grab a grievance form and had that A hole on the ropes.
Thx again all
CR56

expressurself

Hi can someone please help me... my issue sort of relates to this topic but not intierly the same, I wanted to start a new topic but can't seem to be able to do so? do i need to become a suporter and make a donation to be able to post my topic??

[admin]Welcome. Starting a new topic is a VLH supporter option only, there are many other benefits also. Nomad[/admin]

JimmySaville

No harm in asking. Most decent and nice managers will try to help you out where they can. Happy staff are productive staff. You certainly should not have any more rights than any other worker in the building however. Descrimination against people without kids is getting out of hand in this country in my opinion.

Asking other members of staff if they would be willing to swap hours around with you would be a good thing so you can apporach management with some options for them. Pray to the gods your managers and generally nice people regardless of what any policy may say. The Decent thing is not always the "company way"

Just realised the date on this thread lol. How did you get on. Are you still with this company? :D

dfl

DFL

Nightwalker

Hi sorry to type this question in this topic but I can't for the life of me figure out how to create a new topic.

[admin]Not difficult, look here Supporter Benefits[/admin]

In my store recently we have gone through right hours right place, I use to work sunday to thurs night shifts, but that has now changed to Monday to Fridays, however I was told by my manager that I must work sunday as the new hours take affect from Monday because that's the beginning of the new week, that means I have to work sunday to friday 6days! I struggle as it is with 5days and I get exhausted, and my manager doesn't want to help me in any way, bare in mind I have already done my sunday - thurs shift last week.

My questions are: isn't Sunday the start of the week?  and if so I'm contracted to 5days a week wouldn't this mean ill be working 6days this week? and is this allowed? I ask because it means I'm spending less time with my son and don't want to work 6days? and should it not have been agreed by me first?
If any one advice Id be very grateful.

Loki

Your manager is wrong.

I was in the same position a few years back.

You work your last week of Sunday to Thursday.

Thursday is your last shift.

You then start the Monday. Sunday is the first day, not Monday. Refer your Manager to the Holiday forms, Bank Holiday forms, Holiday diary, Tesco Acadamy training manual for wages, Tesco Acadamy training manual for the holiday policy, registers etc.

Nightwalker

Thank you for your reply loki, that's such a relief but at the risk of sounding silly when you say "Refer your Manager to the Holiday forms, Bank Holiday forms, Holiday diary, Tesco Academy training manual for wages, Tesco Academy training manual for the holiday policy, registers etc" does it state on these the beginning of the week is sunday?  :-\

[admin]We ask members not to quote the last post in a thread. Nomad[/admin]

Loki

Look at it yourself.

What's the first day on each column?

Loki

Take a look at the download section in the "more" tap found on the top right of the site.

tumshie

the downloads-4-U section is only available to VLH supporters

here is a link to info on supporter benefits, and how to become a supporter
http://www.verylittlehelps.com/index.php?page=15

tumshie

ps : Annual holiday request forms, Pay query forms and the Availability forms currently being dished out for ideal schedules, all show sunday as the first day of the week.

bob87

apply for flexible working for caring for a child or dependant worked for me, with my little girl

other

Hi all I have my child in the morning and I drop her off at nursery and go start at 13.15pm someone said I have to still till 10.15.  Anyone in the same situation.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk