News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

28-03-24, 10:25AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,115
  • Total Topics: 630
  • Online today: 316
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 285
Total: 288

Hypothetical Question

Started by Nomad, 20-05-05, 12:36AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TONKA

Remember people we live in a democracy,which means freedom of speech if the powers that be dont like it is tough, they cannot do anything to stop you voicing your opinions.If a manager wants to give me a hard time while I am wearing my T shirt whilst delivering to his store I just go by the book and the job takes longer and he eventually disapears.
Free speech is a powerful thing when used properly.

Tonka (Moderator)
Nils despurandum illegitimi carborundum

all they need is reasonable doubt

The Mrs

I thought "reasonable doubt" meant NOT guilty?

The Mrs (Administrator)

bushido

under employment law, the company only has to have reasonable doubt or reasonable belief of a misapproriate event as grounds to discipline someone

A lot of people think it is like criminal law whereby the company would have to 'prove' a transgression, they dont.

Those who scream loudest are the quietest when action is needed
bushido  
Those who scream loudest are the quietest when action is needed
"Gentlemen, you cant fight in here, this is the war room!"

Mr BOB

quote:
Originally posted by morgan

It wouldn't take much to work out who I am then!! Not many Out of Hours birds in this neck of the woods. Still, I stand by everything I say, & usually say most of it at work anyway!! I am concerned at some of the things I read on the site. It horrifies me that managers seem to be held in so little regard by so many staff. I am sorry that people like these exist in the company (and believe me I've encountered of few in the past) and very much hope that the job I do makes my own staff feel comfortable at work & that I go some way to making a small difference where I work. Wish I could do more.....

If you need a namebadge to know who I am, I don't need to know you.

Some managers are held in so little regard because they are either 1.Up their own backsides, 2.unable to think "outside the box" because they are so rooted in the tesco ways, or 3.have no people skills, and possibly see other staff or jobs as beneath them. Nothing riles GA's more than the upstairs/downstairs mentality!

I wasn't even supposed to BE HERE TODAY!!!

fatty

MR BOB, please try not to generalise about management, many are well adjusted and caring individuals...... (hang on I've not taken my medication this morning)! ;)

FATTY, (Moderator).
I owe my success to having listened respectfully to the very best advice, and then going away and doing the exact opposite.
G. K. Chesterton (1874 - 1936)

All you have to remember is if you know you are right or wrong, if you challenge mms and you are abusive then you have dropped yourself in it, if you are polite but still say it then they cant sack you,. What I basically say is - there is a line, you know deep down when you have crossed it and visa versa, if you feel you are right and in your rights then you are right, otherwise you wouldnt have thought it, if you know you are undefendable then accept it, you messed up.

Its on like Donkey Kong beeeaaattttcccchhhh!

lackofinterest

quote:
Originally posted by slap head

In one of my previous employment contracts (not with Tesco's, I might add) it stated (in small print) that if woulds be deemed as gross miss-conduct to talk ill of the company.

my god. all tesco staff would be sacked. lol

bloodhound

yes and completely unrealistic,think about Fridat night down the pub-ever over-heard anyone saying how great their job is?
Would that then constitute 'talking ill' of the company?

'Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but by the number of moments that take our breath away'

BH
(Moderator)

Faceandgo

any disciplinary or legal action would have to show that the "talk" was harmful to the company in some way. "yes M'lord the defendant talked about the company in a derisory and derogatory way,resulting in them making only £2.2 billion pounds profit, clearly they were harmed by his actions"  ;D

take two cages onto the shop floor? not me i just   faceandgo! (moderator)
take two cages onto the shop floor? not me i just faceandgo!(Administrator)

Time is too slow for those who wait
Too swift for those who fear
Too long for those who grieve  Too short for those who rejoice  But for those who love, Time is eternity.   -Henry Van Dyke

Little Tinker

But what if you were overheard by a member of staff, and the conversation was between you and your spouse down the pub, with no other person from tescos that you knew, would that be classed as bringing the company name in to disripute  ??? [?]

I have a simple philosophy: Fill what's empty. Empty what's full. Scratch where it itches.

POA Billy

No just damn rude to listen to other peoples conversations ;D

Everyone seems normal until you get to know them.

Little Tinker

Well all i can say is, GOOD ANSWER POA  ;D ;D :D  :D

I have a simple philosophy: Fill what's empty. Empty what's full. Scratch where it itches.

Snowy

Can they bring action for telling the truth?

And Tesco can bring themselves into disrepute without staff help.

Through rage i ROAR!!!!

hotlips

In reply to the original question - this site is only like talking to your neighbours in the street so shouldn't lead to disciplinary action. Would be very petty if they did - gawd we'd have to watch what we say when out drinking next.

Luv my Southern Soulmate

slaphead

So if I was to say something along the lines of "That Billybong is a daft old codger who could do with shaving more often, or that Hairy is a disgrace to the world of haircuts" I could be disciplined for saying this? Bring it on. ;)

hotlips

You might be disciplined by vlh mods on this one and not by toscos. Lets have no slagging off of our members please - no matter who they are its petty. Thank you.

Luv my Southern Soulmate

slaphead

It was also a joke, remember them?

PS, nothing in that post I've not said to the two mentioned a gazillion times, and received just as good back, it's just banter.

We are, we are, we are the Mods.

Little Tinker

Cool head hotlips  ;D ;D :D  :D

Even i thought that was a little funny, and wouldnt have taken that remark to heavy. :D  :D

But before were asked back to the topic please  :D  :D  :D :D

The Mrs

When a member quotes something hypothetically, as in the case of Slaphead's "so IF I was to say something along the lines of ..." then it's being used as an example to illustrate something.

I realise that some members could do this to try to be clever and have a go at someone without actually having a go at them, if you know what I mean.

I feel like the VLH Police today. Is it the heat? It seems to be kicking off all over the place.

Slaphead, Billybong and Hairy are long standing members, they work together and banter together. Moderators get to know the members over time. We can usually (not always) tell the difference between good humoured banter and nastiness. Members are always welcome to email a moderator if they have any concerns. I've had some today and I am consulting with my colleagues and will be writing back to those concerned later this evening.

Oh and by the way ... Billybong IS an old codger  >:D    :P    ;)  ;D  He is also a good friend and I am sure he won't take offence, he'll just get his own back when I'm least expecting it.  8)

Back to topic please  :-[

The Mrs (Administrator)

Little Tinker

Cant remember topic now  ;D ;D

Sorry mrs just a joke  :D

Can the company take any legal action if you do say something, if you have already been dismissed and have said some thing really bad about the company. :o  As in going to the tabloid press. ???

Faceandgo

The laws of slander and libel cover the spoken and written defamation of an individual or organisation.

Should you write to the News of the World for example, they would  need some proof that your allegations were true. If they published without any confirmation, they would be risking being taken to court and fined for libel. If your allegation led to a loss of earnings for the company, that loss could be made part of the damages. With a company as big as this, that could easily run into millions of pounds.
Whether you are included in the court case as a co-defendant,alongside the NotW or charged seperatley would be up to the company. In either case you would have to give evidence in your defence,if found guilty you too could be fined. Unless you have concrete evidence,don't do it!

take two cages onto the shop floor? not me i just   faceandgo! (moderator)
take two cages onto the shop floor? not me i just faceandgo!(Administrator)

Time is too slow for those who wait
Too swift for those who fear
Too long for those who grieve  Too short for those who rejoice  But for those who love, Time is eternity.   -Henry Van Dyke

jester

I know that this may seem a silly question, but all most everybody has spoken ill of the company on this website (myself included), and it made me wonder what the top dogs at Tesco have thought about this site. Someone at Brackmills printed off some of the Tee-Hee pages and put them on the staff notice board, they did not remain up long, so can anyone tell me if Tesco has commented about this site, and our posts? I know Mcdonalds waited for months before attacking Morgan Spurlock over Supersize Me, but that was down to the fact that what he said was fact, which he appeared to have been careful about.

The Mrs

As we have no connection to the "top dogs" we wouldn't know.

Use your imagination  >:D  ;D

The Mrs (Administrator)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk