Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
16-12-17, 11:10AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 73662
  • Total Topics: 1611
  • Online Today: 130
  • Online Ever: 826
  • (23-02-15, 06:44PM)
Users Online

Author Topic: Palmer and Harvey Supply Issues (potentially)  (Read 4996 times)

OpShunned

• VLH Supporter
  • Smart Arse
Palmer and Harvey Supply Issues (potentially)
« on: 05-12-17, 08:30PM »
Spotted the following headline and just wondered if, potentially there will be a supply issue for our stores given the collapse of a supply chain that delivered products to 90.000 stores of various kinds, across the country?

Is this a major headache for Tesco? It is loss of revenue at the end of the day. Those tills need to keep 'kerchinging' especially at this time of the year. I'm led to believe that our convenience stores are the only profitable outlets we run?

TESCO is suffering from a frozen food shortage in a "small number of stores" due to the collapse of a wholesale firm which delivered goods.

The collapse of the firm, which delivered goods for other supermarkets, including Sainsbury's and Costcutter, rendered 2,500 employees redundant immediately and put a further 900 jobs at risk.

Angry shoppers have started moaning on Twitter about empty shelves in some Tesco Express stores, as the UK's biggest supermarket rushes to fill in the gaps.

The shortage affects stock of frozen, in-store bakery and some tobacco items.

One shopper said: "Bare shelves, so no Tesco beans for me @Tesco are we expecting a disaster or something".

Another added: "@Tesco Call yourself a ‘convenience’ store? Where are the waffles? Heard of restocking?"

While a third said: "Local Tesco with hardly any cigarettes left. Real impact in the short term of the P&H collapse. #tesco".

In the future, the supermarket is planning to work directly with suppliers which used P&H through its distribution network.

Deliveries for most of the affected items have already resumed.

A Tesco spokesperson said: “We are experiencing availability issues on a few products in a small number of stores.

"This is of a result of Palmer and Harvey being placed in administration last week.
https://www.thesun.co.uk/money/5072423/shoppers-fury-as-tesco-suffers-frozen-food-shortage-in-small-number-of-stores-due-to-collapse-of-ph-wholesaler/

ll

• Regular Pain
Re: Palmer and Harvey Supply Issues (potentially)
« Reply #1 on: 05-12-17, 11:41PM »
I suspect it's the majority of, if not all, Express stores effected and not 'a small number of stores'. I work in Express and our freezers are virtually empty and tobacco is running very low. Customers aren't happy.

Welshie

• VLH Supporter
  • Regular Pain
« Reply #2 on: 06-12-17, 02:45AM »
Tobacco products are seriously low in our store and pfs

Aero

• VLH Supporter
« Reply #3 on: 06-12-17, 03:49AM »
P&H delivered tobacco to all Tesco and One Stop Stores. The short term contingency is for Tobacco to be sent via Grocery deliveries, and for other products to be picked and transferred from Store.

Longer term, who knows. The cynic in me thinks that the Booker deal might just have been a bit of a masterstroke 8-)

forrestgimp

• VLH Supporter
  • Smart Arse
  • Cant wait to retire when I am 110
« Reply #4 on: 06-12-17, 06:39AM »
If all the waste of spaces have to complain about is no beans on the shelves or no fags then they need to crawl back under whatever rock they came from, there are 2500 people out of a job.

Hammer10

• Know All
« Reply #5 on: 06-12-17, 07:16AM »
If the customers are moaning about empty shelves at expresses then just think on about those poor people out of work .Go to the big supermarkets like you used to you poor customers ,you will have to go a bit further you bunch of lazy xxxx.

usualsuspect

• Regular Pain
« Reply #6 on: 06-12-17, 10:44AM »
If you are a pensioner , disabled or parent with young children , and do not have a car , then the local shops are a blessing .

US

rayinski

« Reply #7 on: 06-12-17, 11:36AM »
Gone to the local Tosco express, not got me fag's nor me value beans, ahh first world problems :)

JL

• Sad Muppet
« Reply #8 on: 06-12-17, 12:04PM »
When the cigs start coming on grocery cages ruined maybe they will decide not to do them like Aldi/Lidl.

darklighter

• Know All
« Reply #9 on: 06-12-17, 12:41PM »
Aldi nor Lidl sell tobacco products.

fargone

• VLH Supporter
  • Smart Arse
« Reply #10 on: 06-12-17, 12:48PM »
Just go and buy it somewhere else.

JL

• Sad Muppet
« Reply #11 on: 06-12-17, 12:53PM »

been smoking? very good!

grim up north

• Regular Pain
« Reply #12 on: 06-12-17, 01:27PM »
My DC has started receiving tobacco products and delivering them to stores. Supposed to be for 5 weeks.

just curious

• VLH Supporter
  • Smart Arse
« Reply #13 on: 06-12-17, 07:33PM »
If the DC 's  have started to get tobacco / cigs etc into them ready to deliver to stores will there be extra security on the pickers / loaders or will stores get delivery's  with part open / damaged packaging - missing stock , as they do already with mobile phones - Red Bull and other products . Should be fun doing the counts - miss matches etc on these lines and watching the stock losses accumulate ?.  :-X :-X.

formerscoboy

• Regular Pain
« Reply #14 on: 06-12-17, 07:54PM »
Not only that. P+h were a known target of criminal gangs for stealing cigarettes directly off of lorry including holding drivers at gunpoint. Liverpool this year they lost more than £600k in 3 months! Wait till they realise its in tesco artics!

darklighter

• Know All
« Reply #15 on: 07-12-17, 02:29AM »

been smoking? very good!
WTF are you on about you cryptic piece of s***e.

weebee

« Reply #16 on: 07-12-17, 04:47AM »
For your information it was either Lidl or Aldi did sell cigs although they were c**p and didn't stay on sale for long, in fact I think it was Lidl.

grim up north

• Regular Pain
« Reply #17 on: 07-12-17, 01:17PM »
If the DC 's  have started to get tobacco / cigs etc into them ready to deliver to stores will there be extra security on the pickers / loaders or will stores get delivery's  with part open / damaged packaging - missing stock , as they do already with mobile phones - Red Bull and other products . Should be fun doing the counts - miss matches etc on these lines and watching the stock losses accumulate ?.  :-X :-X.

Does nothing ever get stolen by store staff?

I've got to say, it's surprised me if stores have always received their tobacco like this. Small amounts every day.

allovertheshop

• Know All
« Reply #18 on: 07-12-17, 01:47PM »
Staff and Company Directors are just as bad if not worse than the crooks.

grim up north

• Regular Pain
« Reply #19 on: 08-12-17, 03:34PM »
Did stores used to get small tobacco deliveries from p+h everyday?

just curious

• VLH Supporter
  • Smart Arse
« Reply #20 on: 09-12-17, 10:07AM »
Not in the store i worked in , delivery's were always every Wednesday around twelve / twelve thirty  -  easy target for any criminal wanting to hold up the van as the delivery routine never changed for years it was like clock work . Like Formerscoboy has quoted £6000k in three months in Liverpool alone this year has been stolen .  ( Securicor were the same they never changed there collection / delivery pattern again like clock work easy pickings for any one with inside information ) . The Store i worked in was a superstore , and all the stock delivered was in black sealed bags flat packed - once the stock was unloaded it was placed into three cages until checked so you can tell how much stock / value there would have been should some one want to rob the Palmer and Harvey delivery   :question::-X :-X

Welshie

• VLH Supporter
  • Regular Pain
« Reply #21 on: 09-12-17, 02:08PM »
Any one any ideas when cigs will start coming into store again , in our store we're out of everything tobacco related

Equalizer87

• Sad Muppet
« Reply #22 on: 09-12-17, 02:57PM »
All three Tesco's near me are more or less out. Perhaps buying out P&H would have been a better idea.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"

Hibsdaft

• VLH Supporter
« Reply #23 on: 09-12-17, 03:35PM »
There were rumours back in the summer that Tesco were looking at buying P&H, but were concerned it might stop them getting the green light from the regulators for the take over of Booker, which was always their main target.

As we all knew P&H has been living on borrowed time for months, the bigger question must be why Tesco does not seem to have put any alternative or back up in place, and has allowed stores to run out of tobacco products?

Equalizer87

• Sad Muppet
« Reply #24 on: 09-12-17, 04:14PM »
You use the term 'back up' plan in the same sentence as Tesco??

There's no such thing in Tesco.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"