Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
16-12-17, 11:07AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 73662
  • Total Topics: 1611
  • Online Today: 124
  • Online Ever: 826
  • (23-02-15, 06:44PM)
Users Online

Author Topic: PM's & Compliance - Is The Move Short Sighted?  (Read 5511 times)

Voices Of Reason

• VLH Supporter
Whilst we all might joke about PM's and posters, does their role really need to go? I'm of the opinion that the majority of PM's are the gatekeepers to keeping us safe and legal and whether we like to admit it or not often keep overzealous store managers from carrying out unsafe and emotional judgements. Likewise, compliance is a role that keeps us on the straight and narrow in regards to the audit trail.

Can anyone seriously believe that the GM Stock Control Manager will be able to take on these additional tasks in larger stores where they are already accountable for 60,000-100,00 square feet of merchandising space as well as multiple routines and clear to zero projects. The GM Stock Team seen a substantial reduction in manpower in the last shakeup.

Soft structures have removed a Team Support Manager from Grocery (sales £350k per week) & one from GM (sales 300k per week), some might say that this is justifiable but if you dept is taking this kind of money, surely there has to come a point when we are putting colleagues and customers at risk through lack of training because the remaining managers have no support mechanism when they have no team leader and a department with 20+ colleagues to train and keep legal

any thoughts?

optout

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
Re: PM's & Compliance - Is The Move Short Sighted?
« Reply #1 on: 05-12-17, 12:32AM »
If a PM was performing their role properly, then, everything you say makes sense. However,,,,.".............".
I AM NOT A REP, BUT......

Pash

• VLH Supporter
« Reply #2 on: 05-12-17, 07:40AM »
Overpaid coffee drinkers, if they were so important why get rid of them?

Chojac2412

• Know All
« Reply #3 on: 05-12-17, 09:57AM »
The whole role has changed. The bits I know about have reduced the hours needed and expect more changes are on the way.

Refreser/Training has gone online, depending on store size. I expect this will role out to more.
Safe & Legal books have been updated and I hear that there is an online trial.
Whole store schedular, five year plan but will reduce workload for wages and compliance in time.
Trial of electronic SEL's.

The future looks like more and more will be online. The problem now is the systems run so slow and some things like email are restricted to only two systems. During a busy day it is hard to get hold of one of these systems but I expect more things will be added to the whole store schedular tablets of PDS's in time. We still will need better wifi and better pre-launch trials.

PETE_M

« Reply #4 on: 05-12-17, 11:50AM »
While everyone first thinks of self-checkouts and even robots filling shelves as where the jobs will go through technology, it's more likely all the back office roles that will go in stock control, PI, wages etc as electronic labels, online services, more electronic devices and the like make them redundant.

Online safe and legal makes sense, can be checked remotely and automatic reminders/alerts set up for when things aren't done or action needs taking.

It's not like this hasn't been coming for the last few decades, if anything Tesco is propbably behind the curve on implementing a lot of newer technologies.
« Last Edit: 05-12-17, 11:54AM by PETE_M »

strebor

« Reply #5 on: 05-12-17, 01:20PM »
I know it's the wrong but how many weeks sick would someone has worked for strsco for 20 years be entitled to thanks

Hammer10

• Know All
« Reply #6 on: 05-12-17, 01:21PM »
I think it's 24 weeks.

his scots tie

• VLH Supporter
  • Know All
« Reply #7 on: 05-12-17, 01:49PM »
Maximum is 16 weeks

his scots tie

• VLH Supporter
  • Know All
« Reply #8 on: 05-12-17, 01:51PM »
Less any weeks sick the previous year.Max 16 weeks min 6 weeks.

madness

• Regular Pain
« Reply #9 on: 05-12-17, 03:36PM »
Strange it is the other way around in our store maanagers being softer and more understanding than the over zealous pm. Compliance is needed imo there is alot of knowledge stored there that is needed.

londoner83

• VLH Supporter
  • Smart Arse
« Reply #10 on: 05-12-17, 06:46PM »
The way Tesco has been moving in the past decade is short sighted.

Remove full time staff who largely cared about the company and often worked for decades gaining loads of knowledge and replace with loads of 15-20 hour student types who stick at it for a few years at most  before moving onto something better. Recruitment/Training/Uniform costs soar.

Team leaders provided a step up between ga and managers. Now you go from a part time ga role to a full time job controlling a dept. Result the company will soon struggle to find sufficent people willing to develop as managers.

Compliance/PM removal. If every manager did their job as per job description their removal could probably be justified. Yet many managers aren't trained or capable of doing so.

OvaSees

• Know All
« Reply #11 on: 05-12-17, 09:38PM »
Whilst we all might joke about PM's and posters, does their role really need to go? I'm of the opinion that the majority of PM's are the gatekeepers to keeping us safe and legal
Yes they need to go. On what basis do you categorise that majority? What can be said with certainty is that (i) they are costly and (ii) for legalities to be delivered you don't need one per store. Their span of control is too small and they no longer constitute a viable return on what they cost - you only have to look at any other FTSE100 business to see they have realised this and modern practices have 'HR Business Partners' working remotely as a support function to branches. Tesco and it's store-specific approach is both costly and behind the times. Like the dinosaur.

...and whether we like to admit it or not often keep overzealous store managers from carrying out unsafe and emotional judgements.
To clarify - you are advocating a business practice that requires one highly paid person to be present on site to monitor the behaviour of another even more highly paid person who sits above them in the struture? Voodoo. All this demonstrates is that despite all the resources Tesco claims to have invested, and continues to invest, in (SM) behavioural 'development' it has been (i) ineffective and (ii) they have clearly employed the wrong people to lead their stores.

Likewise, compliance is a role that keeps us on the straight and narrow in regards to the audit trail.
What does a Compliance Manager do that a fully trained and performing team of Team and Senior Managers cannot? Or, to put it another way, what is the problem to which running with the cost of a Compliance Manager is the solution? There is too much duplication of accountability in the management structure and it makes no business sense to employ one highly paid person to do something that another is responsible for (which includes their own behaviour - see above).

Can anyone seriously believe that the GM Stock Control Manager will be able to take on these additional tasks in larger stores where they are already accountable for 60,000-100,00 square feet of merchandising space as well as multiple routines and clear to zero projects. The GM Stock Team seen a substantial reduction in manpower in the last shakeup.
Yes, I do, because their role does not require them to merchandise those large spaces (i) all at once (it is phased across the year) or (ii) to do so themselves - they are supposed to lead a team to do it. The clue is in the job title, GM Stock Control Team Manager.

Soft structures have removed a Team Support Manager from Grocery (sales £350k per week) & one from GM (sales 300k per week), some might say that this is justifiable but if you dept is taking this kind of money, surely there has to come a point when we are putting colleagues and customers at risk through lack of training because the remaining managers have no support mechanism when they have no team leader and a department with 20+ colleagues to train and keep legal
Turnover does not determine a Team Support requirement so it makes no odds if a department takes £30 or £3M per week. Checkouts generates little to no turnover but has Team Support? The function as well as the corporate direction determines the formation of management structure, not bragging rights based on sales - this is an outdated way of thinking and dates back to when high sales equated to high volumes thus high workloads, but taking £350k these days has become significantly simpler thanks to technology, store layouts and reduced complexities, productive working practices and procedurisation of routines. Taking £300k on GM requires nowhere near the manpower that taking £350k on Grocery does because of individual unit price differences and shelf stock turn rates between those two departments. Taking £350k a week in the late 1980's was very hard work when orders were manual, stock was not delivered on cages and comprised of totally mixed product groups and came all across the day and night from multiple suppliers, everything needed pricing up manually with a gun and nothing was in shelf ready packaging. Replenishment of sales today is significantly simpler and less labour intensive than at any time in the past - it's just not that hard anymore. If performing Team Managers effectively led their teams, they'd cope just fine without Team Support who ultimately ends up being not much more than a highly paid CA anyway. They're just not cost effective.
« Last Edit: 05-12-17, 09:41PM by OvaSees »

londoner83

• VLH Supporter
  • Smart Arse
« Reply #12 on: 06-12-17, 08:18AM »
Totally agree with the above.

Tesco has too many tiers of management who exist to check the checker. Team Managers should be held accountable for their area and allowed to do their job. They shouldn't need PM/Compliance/Senior Team to check their work nor do most require team support to cover their tasks.

Tesco Team Managers are paid well compared to other retailers and need to deliver what that salary is paid for.

Tornado

• VLH Supporter
  • Regular Pain
« Reply #13 on: 06-12-17, 10:50AM »
Does CA exist or is it only an object to be manipulated ? Should not CA be receiving full training and actualization of his/her functions and to became a full integrated member responsible for his/her job without being all the time or most of the time saying " it is their responsibility " or " I do not care " ? If I am confident and aware of my functions, duties & responsibility to act as a professional not as a crying object why do I need so many zombies to tell me what to do ? I am not saying that managers should not exist but what I am saying is that they should be responsible to give orientation and information and let me do my job. Manager & CA both are part of the team and both have Responsibility as both are being paid to be responsible. To much bla, bla, bla...

Hammer10

• Know All
« Reply #14 on: 06-12-17, 10:52AM »
Our manager has not been on our dept for over 4 weeks and we get all our job done and takings are on the up and we are not affected by Xmas so who needs them.

MichelleD

« Reply #15 on: 10-12-17, 10:09AM »
I am one of the PM's affected by the change, and since leaving I can say I actually agree with it. My week consisted of a minimum of 15 hrs rumble, 15 hrs of duty. How does this support with improving culture and capability?
My worries now are with the team managers who's workload has definitely increased, which will impact on the colleagues. Bigger headcount as all part timers meaning more training needed and less loyalty. Tesco needs to allow managers to be leaders and less task orientated. This in turn will improve moral, productivity and the service measure which is so key to the survival of the company. 

Tornado

• VLH Supporter
  • Regular Pain
« Reply #16 on: 10-12-17, 02:19PM »
 :o Really? I think you should be joking, if most of the people CA are claiming and exposing abuses committed by management can you imagine what would it be if they had the freedom to expose they lack (most of them) of humanity, education, professional ignorance ... please give us some break have a cup tea and a biscuit.
« Last Edit: 10-12-17, 05:21PM by Nomad »

allovertheshop

• Know All
« Reply #17 on: 10-12-17, 06:59PM »
They should have an SD covering a whole area. All SMs should cover a few shops in an area. They should get rid of all Senior Team and LMs. We do not need check the checker seniors. LMs can be replaced with cheaper Shift Leaders. They should have a maximum of 3/4 in large stores at any one time. Night crews should only be kept in the highest turnover extras and busy expresses where space is limited during the day. Compliance should be the responsibility of the Shift Leaders as a team and the PM should be a group role.

Equalizer87

• Sad Muppet
« Reply #18 on: 10-12-17, 07:07PM »
I am one of the PM's affected by the change, and since leaving I can say I actually agree with it. My week consisted of a minimum of 15 hrs rumble, 15 hrs of duty. How does this support with improving culture and capability?
My worries now are with the team managers who's workload has definitely increased, which will impact on the colleagues. Bigger headcount as all part timers meaning more training needed and less loyalty. Tesco needs to allow managers to be leaders and less task orientated. This in turn will improve moral, productivity and the service measure which is so key to the survival of the company.

I agree with a few of your points, but where morale is concerned, no. As far as I can see and read, morale is gone and with the coming cuts to premiums and various other uncertainties, it's not coming back.

Even before I left, the increased workload for management after the TL cull, was being passed straight down to GA's and will probably continue to.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"

JL

• Sad Muppet
« Reply #19 on: 10-12-17, 07:43PM »

I agree with a few of your points, but where morale is concerned, no. As far as I can see and read, morale is gone and with the coming cuts to premiums and various other uncertainties, it's not coming back.

Even before I left, the increased workload for management after the TL cull, was being passed straight down to GA's and will probably continue to.

They need a flexible workforce. This does not mean they do not need to employ any FT staff which is how it is going in alot of stores. The Line Managers aren't bothering to train staff. While DL is still culling night crews repeatedly etc the moral will be low and there is nothing which will change that. Managers are often too focused on completing a task rather than doing what is right for staff members. You only get "service with a smile" for customers when the company is "a great place to work" and you are not constantly seeing colleagues thrown on the sc**p heap.

Equalizer87

• Sad Muppet
« Reply #20 on: 10-12-17, 09:26PM »
@ JL

Hit the nail on the head.

Happy staff = good service,  miserable staff = poor service.

Sadly the company doesn't see this (or chooses not to)
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"

his scots tie

• VLH Supporter
  • Know All
« Reply #21 on: 10-12-17, 09:31PM »
Look after the staff and the staff will look after the customers.Train people well enough so they can leave,treat them well enough so they dont want to.

penguin

• Sad Muppet
« Reply #22 on: 11-12-17, 01:37PM »
Our PM has spent the morning decorating the staff areas with pictures of snowmen and igloos, maybe someone could kindly enlighten me on what possible benefit this sort of thing has for with staff or customers, nobody likes to see jobs under threat but this sort of thing is a huge waste of time and wages.
Tesco - the moden day word for workhouse

Ulsterboy

• Know All
« Reply #23 on: 11-12-17, 06:24PM »
Perhaps they would be better filling in their job applications.  Pointless role currently in this company.  Probably an employment solicitor would be a better choice for the company.

Collie

« Reply #24 on: 12-12-17, 12:08AM »
I was told that the Compliance role is going to be re-branded by my SM, I just wish this was all over and we can all get on with our lives. I hope with the amount of time when we where told or NOT about the pilot and to look on here VLH for more information. Must have some news soon. PLEASE