Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
17-12-17, 07:49AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 73678
  • Total Topics: 1612
  • Online Today: 113
  • Online Ever: 826
  • (23-02-15, 06:44PM)
Users Online
Users: 6
Guests: 105
Total: 111

Author Topic: Management 'Early Days'  (Read 17261 times)

rogerthedodger

Re: Management 'Early Days'
« Reply #100 on: 06-12-17, 06:49PM »
Whatever people’s opinions the fact is, managers should be in for the minimum hrs on the contract or essentially the contract is not valid.managers still get paid an hourly rate, I’m surprised Tesco have not put out a statement or message. Regarding this as I’d imagine any claim could got. £££££££ rough guess about £2500 per line managers over 2years for a basic week, eg 37.5 hrs

formerscoboy

• Regular Pain
« Reply #101 on: 06-12-17, 07:56PM »
When you join booker you have to opt out of wtd......normal working week is over 50 hours.

101reef

« Reply #102 on: 06-12-17, 09:11PM »
says on contract 36 hours and additional when needed, however I know most managers (maybe not all) do 10 hour days with no Lunch and get a 30 minute break if your lucky!

that's 55 hours a week and when you ask for an early day or day off, its a no! is it worth being a manager anymore! id be paid more as a GA >:(

lordadmiral

• VLH Supporter
  • Know All
« Reply #103 on: 06-12-17, 09:35PM »
One of the reasons i droped management 6 months after team leaders left in 2015.
2 extra hours , 5 times a week its £304.8 4 weekly if we aply basic rate. Sorry not worth it.

overworkedexpresslad

« Reply #104 on: 06-12-17, 11:29PM »
I know some managers who don't even do 7 hour days and still have a lunch break, swan in at 9.45 got for a fag make a drink then do a few hours work b4 lunch ,few more fags then 4.30/5pm its home time.... cant be bad can it. OVER PAID and UNDER WORKED!!!

londoner83

• VLH Supporter
  • Smart Arse
« Reply #105 on: 07-12-17, 08:41AM »
With minimum wage legislation think it's only a matter of time before managers have to clock in and out. Always thought it perverse GAs could get disciplined for forgetting to clock in and out yet managers are exempt.

In my experience the example above is not unique.

brum_one

« Reply #106 on: 12-12-17, 07:15PM »
Again folks although they are salaried, but they are still covered by minimum wage so because they are on a salary they entitled to extra pay or time in lieu for any hours over their contracted hours, store I work in some managers work all hours without extra or taking their time back I say again more fool them, when I started I was a TL first month I did nearly forty hours overtime did not get paid for it, when I queried this I was told Tesco expect TL's to work up to two hours per shift over without pay I told the two managers a two word reply.

Then would come in at ten and finish at seven as contracted the store manager want to know why I was the only TL who did not do walk around in the morning, I stated was quite happy to stay over if paid or time in lieu, was told no so told him I would not be staying never did, again I am a rep and know the law they did nothing apart from telling me I would not become management unless I changed to which I replied with nearly 20 years management experience I would not lower my standards to Tesco's level needless to say I am not a manager but a GA, nearly six years later I am still here after many managers trying to knock me down but failing because what I do is correct while what they tried to do was just vindictive.

Know policies and procedures how to use them get support stick together and you will win as long as you are in the right.   
Join the union

lordadmiral

• VLH Supporter
  • Know All
« Reply #107 on: 12-12-17, 07:45PM »
With minimum wage legislation think it's only a matter of time before managers have to clock in and out. Always thought it perverse GAs could get disciplined for forgetting to clock in and out yet managers are exempt.

In my experience the example above is not unique.
Well in my stores managers been told to clock in and out but they dont give a f***.

brum_one

« Reply #108 on: 12-12-17, 07:56PM »
The reason they should clock in is it gives them a record of their hours and will red flag when their salary drops below minimum wage once again more fool them if they do not
Join the union

mrblobby

• Know All
« Reply #109 on: 13-12-17, 08:26PM »
Actually more than 40% of Tesco managers come from university (a number that grows each year) and they have absolutely no idea whatsoever what retail is like. And it’s in poor taste to make a comparison of a supermarket department manager and a member of the emergency services upon whom your life may depend, and to whom the terms of the Working Time Directive are applied differently.

No it is not new to retail, but neither is all that technology it now employs that it is claimed has improved efficiencies - so with all that innovation and technology at their disposal why are managers working days that are as long today as they were 20 years ago, despite reductions in trading hours and more customers shopping online?
Nobody is making them - it certainly isn't a necessity company wide, and if it is a regular occurrence then then something is drastically wrong. There are plenty of managers who don't even do their minimum hours so it varies across the board. It's a case of if you don't like it, put your foot down and then it will change. People who do excessive hours generally do because they accept it
« Last Edit: 13-12-17, 08:29PM by mrblobby »