Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
18-10-17, 06:33AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 71679
  • Total Topics: 1561
  • Online Today: 109
  • Online Ever: 826
  • (23-02-15, 06:44PM)
Users Online

Author Topic: Sickness and dismissal  (Read 1661 times)

Eeyore

• VLH Supporter
Sickness and dismissal
« on: 12-10-17, 03:26PM »
If you are off on long term sick, can the business give you ill health redundancy if there is no possible return date? When do they start looking at dismissal as well? Thanks :)

Hibsdaft

• VLH Supporter
Re: Sickness and dismissal
« Reply #1 on: 12-10-17, 03:51PM »
If there is genuinely no hope of any return to work (even to modified duties) then the business may look at termination of contract, on the grounds that you are no longer fit for the job for which you were employed.

blutopia

• VLH Supporter
  • Know All
« Reply #2 on: 12-10-17, 05:49PM »
If you are off on long term sick, can the business give you ill health redundancy if there is no possible return date? When do they start looking at dismissal as well? Thanks :)

Absolutely no possibility of ill health redundancy.  The only potential payout for ill health is from the pension scheme in cases of a terminal diagnosis which, hopefully, is nowhere near your circumstance.

forrestgimp

• VLH Supporter
  • Smart Arse
  • Cant wait to retire when I am 110
« Reply #3 on: 13-10-17, 06:41AM »

Its roughly a year into the illness when you are coming to the end, I have sat in on 2 contractual dismissals for this and both happened at the start of year 2. One dood came back to work the first time he did right at the end he had the final c y a later meeting to go but once he came back it was all good. He was back at work for a week and went off again for another year this time he lost his job.

I also know one person who got an ill health pension payout but she has terminal cancer although last I heard she has not died yet (which I am glad to hear she is my friend) they did it because and I kid you not she had not died quickly enough and was on the verge of losing her job the same way the other 2 did and I think even our stupendously idiotic PM and SM realised this would be a PR disaster.

I very much doubt they would give you redundancy when you are long term sick as they have the means of getting rid if they just wait. 
« Last Edit: 13-10-17, 06:42AM by forrestgimp »

Nomad

• Administrator
  • Sad Muppet
  • Who dares, wins.
« Reply #4 on: 13-10-17, 10:40AM »
No such thing as ill health redundancy, dismissal for inability to fulfil contract definitely.  Then partial/full pension maybe possible depending on level of employability.
Nomad ( Forum Admin )
It's better to be up in arms than down on your knees.

blutopia

• VLH Supporter
  • Know All
« Reply #5 on: 13-10-17, 05:02PM »
I believe I'm correct that regarding the terminally ill, managers are required to 'manage them out of the business' to avoid having to pay out death in service benefits.  I can't think I would want to spend a second more at Tesco if I had such a diagnosis, but others may have dependents to provide for and not have any easy choice.

notsofunny

• VLH Supporter
  • Smart Arse
« Reply #6 on: 13-10-17, 05:48PM »
My Understanding is that once you have handed over your note to say you are terminally Ill you get passed onto the APM who then passes it up higher.  Terminally ill is normally under 6 months or even shorter time frame, that being what I was told by Doctors.

I have seen 5 cases in which Tesco gave great support, and in 2 of the cases that I had contact with they paid out before the death of the person.  I for one do not Believe you to be correct, If you think so then please say why you Believe what you have said.

Welshie

• VLH Supporter
« Reply #7 on: 14-10-17, 10:21AM »
A colleague in our store had a terminal diagnosis late last year .she was treated fantastically,  (and at times I do find it difficult to say anything good about senior team) all available help given .
Also after she died staff brought in from another store to allow anyone who wanted to to attend the funeral .I honestly couldn't fault how it was dealt with at all

forrestgimp

• VLH Supporter
  • Smart Arse
  • Cant wait to retire when I am 110
« Reply #8 on: 15-10-17, 12:45PM »
My Understanding is that once you have handed over your note to say you are terminally Ill you get passed onto the APM who then passes it up higher.  Terminally ill is normally under 6 months or even shorter time frame, that being what I was told by Doctors.

Yea thats what she was told as well.

JL

• Smart Arse
« Reply #9 on: 16-10-17, 12:46AM »
A colleague in our store had a terminal diagnosis late last year .she was treated fantastically,  (and at times I do find it difficult to say anything good about senior team) all available help given .
Also after she died staff brought in from another store to allow anyone who wanted to to attend the funeral .I honestly couldn't fault how it was dealt with at all

It can be done if they choose to  :thumbup: