Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
18-10-17, 06:32AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 71679
  • Total Topics: 1561
  • Online Today: 109
  • Online Ever: 826
  • (23-02-15, 06:44PM)
Users Online
Users: 5
Guests: 73
Total: 78

Author Topic: How are Tesco stores PRE-WARNED about Health and Safety Audits?  (Read 4710 times)

optout

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
There is NO DOUBT THAT THEY ARE.

But what I would like to know is who is informing stores of visits?

AND

Are Health and Safety Auditors aware that their visits are expected?
I AM NOT A REP, BUT......

OvaSees

• Know All
I have seen an auditor in our store who I know used to be a manager at Tesco and is quick to go for a Costa with the compliance manager when they turn up... So there are now former managers and probably head office colleagues who work for the audit companies because of their knowledge of Tesco procedures - with all Tesco's job cuts and restructures this was inevitable at some point. Everybody knows somebody so there's where your tip offs may come from. The (former Tesco) auditors don't do it for their love of Tesco, they do it for their friends as they know how bad they've got it if the audit fails. This is before I see a manager trying to befriend and delay the auditor when they walk in so that the others can scramble about filling in and signing safe & legal books and completing missing temperature checks and other entries. If Tesco operated their stores in the manner which would satisfy the safe & legal audit requirements they would cease to operate at anything like the level of productivity they expect.

Dougall

• Regular Pain
Are you talking about safe and legal? They are unannounced

the postman

• Regular Pain
There is no pre warning,i would agree that there is a rush of activity to "fix" certain things...like unsigned logbooks etc.whenever there is an auditor in the store though.
But auditors know this and some even walk around for half an hour to review the shop before they announce themselves to prevent exactly this sort of fudging.

VladPutin

• Smart Arse
Whenever an inspector visits a store in our area, they 'phone around and inform us and all the other stores. Our CM then springs - or at least waddles :D - into action and makes sure everything is ready in case we get a visit as well.

Equalizer87

• Sad Muppet
This happened in the area I worked in too. Stores had an unofficial policy of warning other stores when auditors or bigwigs were around.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"

Openandhonest

• Know All
If stores were operating safely and legally at all times they would have no fears of auditors wondering in.  Stores are trying to cut corners and operate on a shoe string but all this is going to catch up with them. I phone the H&S executive all the time now regardless of what the managers think. When I got injured at work I never bothered to log it but now I ask for the book. Half the time the Line Managers cannot find  it and the First Aid Kit has been used and not replaced.

Morris999

• Smart Arse
Openandhonest the reason they cannot find the book is because there isn't an accident book anymore and hasn't been for a couple of years!
They are meant to ring the injury helpline which is I believe is staffed somewhere in Scotland!
Now if they are still logging it in a book, H/O will have NO record of your injuries.
Just something to think about if you ever decide to claim

trolleyboy96

• Know All
Yep accident book went ages ago, all logged via the phone and checked on incident reporting, first aid kits it’s the first aiders responsibility to check once a week and get a list to the person who does click to order to re-order supplies.

Openandhonest

• Know All
Morris999

There is still a accident book in our store which we are told to complete. It may just be my store going OTT on paperwork. Is this helpline available to night staff?

Expressdude2016

• Sad Muppet
No Helpline closes I think 9pm but says in safe and legal book opening hours. If out of hours then accident should be recorded and phoned in next morning when lines are open again.Injury helpline is based in Dundee so no issues with trying to explain to Indians who cant understand.. Sorry don't take that as racist I'm sure everyone knows what I means who called helpdesk up .
« Last Edit: 08-10-17, 09:34PM by Expressdude2016 »

VladPutin

• Smart Arse
This happened in the area I worked in too. Stores had an unofficial policy of warning other stores when auditors or bigwigs were around.

Same thing happens if the SD visits a store in a particular area. All the other stores get warned to expect a Papal Visit. 8-)

Equalizer87

• Sad Muppet
Yep, exactly the same. Everyone running round like idiots.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"

VladPutin

• Smart Arse
And, of course, nine times out of ten the SD doesn't even turn up :D

Openandhonest

• Know All
The SD turned up at my store to find out the SM had not been on night shift when promised.

This is the same SM who tells everyone nights will never go.

It's all lies!

Equalizer87

• Sad Muppet
And, of course, nine times out of ten the SD doesn't even turn up :D

Yep, I often laughed when they mentioned a 'Visit' as all too often it was used to try and push staff to worker harder.

Whenever we asked them how it went, the reply was often "Oh, they never came."

Openandhonest

• Know All
Why work harder if the SD is coming. Better to show them the mess that it is. We all know it will never happen though as when the SM is pre-warned he will have all the managers hanging back to do some GA work.

BrownEyedGirl

Same at my store saying SD coming in for  visit when it was all lies.  He came in once unannounced, store was a s***hole an tore manager was upstairs on lunch stuffing his face.  ;D

Equalizer87

• Sad Muppet
Why work harder if the SD is coming. Better to show them the mess that it is. We all know it will never happen though as when the SM is pre-warned he will have all the managers hanging back to do some GA work.

I think the real point is how Managers have to use such desperate measures to cover their arses.

I agree SD  should always see the reality of a stores operation. But after all we are talking about Tesco, the place where truth goes to die

mrblobby

• Know All
Audits have become a complete joke. There is no 'score' any more. They said it's because stores were just aiming for numbers rather than focusing on fixing issues. Sounds like a cop out to me, if certain stores are just hitting numbers , then manage them properly!!!

OvaSees

• Know All
mrblobby all the audits have ever led to at Tesco is teach managers how to pass audits, not how to improve the things that audits are designed to measure.

blutopia

• VLH Supporter
  • Know All
No Helpline closes I think 9pm but says in safe and legal book opening hours. If out of hours then accident should be recorded and phoned in next morning when lines are open again.Injury helpline is based in Dundee so no issues with trying to explain to Indians who cant understand.. Sorry don't take that as racist I'm sure everyone knows what I means who called helpdesk up .

If you can't write it in an official book, how can you know it's been reported correctly - or at all?  If you write the details down for someone to phone in, will they read it verbatim or put their own spin on it?  Will the person on the other end of the phone do the same?  If it is a serious matter you think deserves compensation, the devil can be in the detail.  Typical Tesco - avoid a paper trail and muddy the waters.

VladPutin

• Smart Arse
Same at my store saying SD coming in for  visit when it was all lies.  He came in once unannounced, store was a s***hole an tore manager was upstairs on lunch stuffing his face.  ;D

Same thing happened at my store. I was leaving after a late shift when the SD came in, about 2200. The store was an abortion, and the SD spend the next hour or so kicking the duty moron up and down the aisles. The SD then turned up Stupid O' Clock the next morning, just to make sure the message had been received and understood. >:D

londoner83

• VLH Supporter
  • Smart Arse
Anyone know what's happening with the electronic safe and legal trial. Apparently if it isn't completed by all depts every day it emails the SD to highlight the failure....

Yes no guarantee it will be completed accurately but at least it would ensure it is done daily.

OvaSees

• Know All
...no guarantee it will be completed accurately but at least it would ensure it is done daily.
That's all it will achieve - it will relegate legal checks to an electronic box-ticking excercise that in no way reflects whether the checks have actually taken place, the quality of them or the standard delivered - as if the books themselves don't already reflect this. It will just be another thing that will take people away from the issues on the shop floor and spend more time staring at a screen, it will only be completed so stores avoid being on yet another 'hit list'.