Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
18-10-17, 06:30AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 71679
  • Total Topics: 1561
  • Online Today: 109
  • Online Ever: 826
  • (23-02-15, 06:44PM)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 79
Total: 81

Author Topic: Are the long-term employees of tesco being singled out?  (Read 2944 times)

optout

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
I have read many comments on this forum and heard many from those that I work with, about the seeming targeting of long-term employees, especially those on full-time contracts who are not till trained.

Have you experienced unequal treatment or witnessed it, where the only common-denominator is that the victims are long-term and full-time?

If it is a genuine concern, do you think that the order has come from above? If so how high up?

Is this just an issue because I am looking for it to be, or is it a genuine concern?

If this is a genuine concern, maybe this is the time to let those concerned know, that we know what their game is, and that at-least some of us are watching.
« Last Edit: 07-10-17, 10:46PM by optout »
I AM NOT A REP, BUT......

OvaSees

• Know All
I don't think they are being deliberately targeted - but I do think there is a desire to get rid of them, and recent changes to policies, pay rates, premiums, pension, till training/multiskilling, erosion of full time prospects in favour of flexi/part time roles, increasing demands to be 'flexible' and change hours/days, etc etc are the mechanisms being used to achieve this. SO I don't believe those changes or policies were designed to deliberately target long serving colleagues, but long timers being penalised and then leaving are the side effect of those things, and that's not a concern to the company because they expected the impact it would have on colleagues with longer service. Why? Because at this point in time, the longer your service the more expensive you are, and nothing gets Tesco salivating more than saving money to keep those in the top in the manner to which they have become accustomed.

optout

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
Would this (if proven) be considered 'constructive dismissal'?
I AM NOT A REP, BUT......

Mickymouse1962

• Regular Pain
Yes it would be could it be proved I think by next year maybe the year after it will be all flexi hour contract staff think there will just be a lot of agency staff in future security seems to be going that way if in fact your lucky enough to still have security as a lot of stores don't I know from talking to people

Equalizer87

• Sad Muppet
I spoke with someone who recruits for an agency that works with Tesco abd they overloaded with wirk from then particularly due to the night culls, looks like it's the future alright.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"

Mickymouse1962

• Regular Pain
Well from tesco point there is no holiday pay no sick pay to pay and there will all ways be staff win win for them

VladPutin

• Smart Arse
Tesco would have everyone below the level of Board on zero hour contracts if they could.  Anyone dumb enough to feel loyalty towards this company needs to wake up and smell the coffee. 8-)

captain

• Know All
I don't think they are being deliberately targeted - but I do think there is a desire to get rid of them, and recent changes to policies, pay rates, premiums, pension, till training/multiskilling, erosion of full time prospects in favour of flexi/part time roles, increasing demands to be 'flexible' and change hours/days, etc etc are the mechanisms being used to achieve this. SO I don't believe those changes or policies were designed to deliberately target long serving colleagues, but long timers being penalised and then leaving are the side effect of those things, and that's not a concern to the company because they expected the impact it would have on colleagues with longer service. Why? Because at this point in time, the longer your service the more expensive you are, and nothing gets Tesco salivating more than saving money to keep those in the top in the manner to which they have become accustomed.
so guys on the back of what ovasees has said how many full timers are left in your particular store and how big is your store?

I work in a standard sized superstore (about 160 staff) and we are now down to 4 full times now.

Also do you think the time will come when Tesco will turn round to remaining full timers and offer redundancy or part time hours?

Hammer10

• Know All
We have over 300 staff in our store and there must be at 100 full time.

Mickymouse1962

• Regular Pain
I hope redundancy

JL

• Smart Arse
Re: Are the long-term employees of tesco being singled out?
« Reply #10 on: 08-10-17, 03:36PM »
Tesco can claim the full timers are disappearing through natural wastage. They are doing cuts across the board and people are retiring and leaving due to the uncertainty. If you look at Tesco Careers there is only a handful of FT positions. Some of these night shifts etc which will no doubt get sc**pped. All the Managers are being pressured into doing more and a lot more of them are part time. Businesses are not looking to employ there own staff nowadays you just need to look at how Amazon is run (self employed/agency). I am surprised Tesco even offer contracts atoll nowadays.

forrestgimp

• VLH Supporter
  • Smart Arse
  • Cant wait to retire when I am 110
« Reply #11 on: 10-10-17, 07:01AM »
I dont think they are no, I am long term and full time I have been asking for redundancy I even offered to swap with a night shift person with a young family so I could get it and they could keep a full time job and was basically told no.

I tell them daily to make me redundant it seems i get to keep my job till the day I die so they can spite me.

lucgeo

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #12 on: 10-10-17, 07:43AM »
I'm liking the WMTY percentage poll at the top 8-)

If DD needed it pointed out any clearer, the finger is clearly pointing to where tesco is,  IN THE RED

forrestgimp

You wouldn't have been able to swap with the young worker, his department and redundancy offer would have been set in motion, long before the redundancies were announced. Many in our store have tried, to keep others employed.

Our managers are very suspect of SM shuffling them about to other departments ??? Few months after the last re-shuffle, two of the least favourites suddenly found themselves on the hit list ???
« Last Edit: 10-10-17, 07:44AM by lucgeo »
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

Equalizer87

• Sad Muppet
« Reply #13 on: 10-10-17, 09:32AM »
I had offered to take the place of a redundant worker who was desperate to stay with Tesco, during DL's first cull and was told no.

I bet Tesco lost a lot of people who would have stayed but got made redundant instead and left themselves with staff eager to get out.

I've never understood why the option isn't available, wouldn't they prefer staff who wanted to stay?
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"