Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
17-12-17, 06:09AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 73678
  • Total Topics: 1612
  • Online Today: 80
  • Online Ever: 826
  • (23-02-15, 06:44PM)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 72
Total: 74

Author Topic: holiday requests  (Read 5143 times)

dfl

• VLH Supporter
  • Regular Pain
holiday requests
« on: 03-10-17, 06:11PM »
Hi, what action if any should or could be taken against management Consistently not returning holiday request replies to employees who request holidays, I had confirmation (appropriate head office dept email) a couple of years ago that any requests which don't get answered within 7 days are automatically granted, is this still the case. And lastly, best way to prove a holiday request was made ?
DFL

PC7

Re: holiday requests
« Reply #1 on: 03-10-17, 06:17PM »
Text your request to your manager's works phone

heyyouguys

« Reply #2 on: 03-10-17, 06:42PM »
You need to fill holiday form out, date it and photo copy it or take pic on your phone.  I always would keep photo copy though for reference.

londoner83

• VLH Supporter
  • Smart Arse
« Reply #3 on: 03-10-17, 09:00PM »
Wait until the 8th day and go to the store manager....

captain

• Know All
« Reply #4 on: 04-10-17, 09:11AM »
Just keep a copy and hand into line manager on the shop floor, with a witness and say that you require an answer within 7 days, after 7 days if no reply then that holiday is yours, end of.......

dfl

• VLH Supporter
  • Regular Pain
« Reply #5 on: 04-10-17, 09:38AM »
What about sending the initial copy as a Facebook messenger image ?
DFL

gomezz

• Global Moderator
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #6 on: 04-10-17, 10:03AM »
In this day and age there should be an app to request and agree holiday requests.

Where I used to work we were able to do this from our desktop computers since the 80s in an application which also lets us check for ourselves what hours were recorded as us having worked.
« Last Edit: 04-10-17, 10:07AM by gomezz »
"The progress of the kart is more important than its direction"

Rad

• Know All
« Reply #7 on: 04-10-17, 06:27PM »
The Oracle, or whatever its called is coming in the future. All colleagues will be able to see their pay etc online, request holidays etc online.  See the virtual holiday diary of whats available I assume.

Sheepy

• VLH Supporter
« Reply #8 on: 04-10-17, 07:32PM »
Hi, can anyone tell me if its OK to book holidays for the future while off sick? I'm currently off with an injury and have been looking at holidays because of all the free time I have at the minute. I have messaged my manager to ask if the dates I want are available,  8-) and the reply was “we’ll look at holidays when you’re back in work” I'm unsure whether this is awkwardness on their part because I'm off sick, or whether I can’t ask about dates available while off sick?

Princess2016

• VLH Supporter
  • Know All
« Reply #9 on: 06-10-17, 01:54PM »
It’s just him being awkward. Tell him you need it sorted now.

captain

• Know All
« Reply #10 on: 07-10-17, 09:28AM »
Sheepy
Your manager is correct in this instance sick overrides holiday, you can't be sick and on holiday at the same time. There is nothing to stop you going away to recuperate providing it does not agrevate your sickness, an example being if you are off with a sore leg and you go hill climbing. If you go away for a few days then watch what you post on social media

allovertheshop

• Know All
« Reply #11 on: 07-10-17, 12:40PM »
You ask for a holiday in my store and nobody gets back to you. They think they can just ignore people because they aren't allowed anymore staff. Sickness is high at the moment but it has been all year. It looks like no staff are going to be in on the last months of the year. If you need a holiday just go sick the place is a mess.

lucgeo

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #12 on: 08-10-17, 09:41AM »
Think sheepy is wanting to book holidays in the FUTURE, and not take a holiday whilst off sick ???

sheepy

Are you on long term sick? Do you have an expected return to work date?

You should not be denied booking future holidays, on the basis that you are off sick at present ??? To deny your request could be a detriment to you, as holidays are booked on a first come basis, and if you have plans and wish to book future dates, for when you will be back in work fully recovered, then they should allow you the same opportunity as others in your department.
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

forrestgimp

• VLH Supporter
  • Smart Arse
  • Cant wait to retire when I am 110
« Reply #13 on: 10-10-17, 06:59AM »
Wait until the 8th day and go to the store manager....

Good advice but do it on the ninth as I have seen it argued, successfully I might add, that they do not start counting the days until the day after it was handed in. Yes as ridiculous as that sounds it has happened.

Sheepy

• VLH Supporter
« Reply #14 on: 11-10-17, 08:48AM »
Thanks for your replies everyone. It’s sorted now after a bit of date tweaking. As apparently another member of staff my dept had asked for the exact same dates! 8-) who’d of thought it! After all this is like 10 months off! Anyway eventually they “changed” their dates a bit, think there was a tad of favouritism involved as this person has probably covered a few of my shifts while I’ve been off. :-X I’m hoping to be back in work in the next few weeks, so it’s not long term sick. Bring on the AR! :o

rage

« Reply #15 on: 12-10-17, 12:24PM »
Im possibly one of the minority who books his holidays a year in advance. This way i have dates to save up for.

But i always take a photograph of the completed form on the date its handed in, in case it goes ‘missing’ as the photo is date stamped too

allovertheshop

• Know All
« Reply #16 on: 12-10-17, 01:13PM »
Rage

It is the trustful Tesco managers they would never lose your holiday request  ;D

gomezz

• Global Moderator
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #17 on: 12-10-17, 06:46PM »
I like to book my holidays around motorsports events I am interested in but the calendars for those tend to be only firmed up in the New Year.
"The progress of the kart is more important than its direction"

moomin23

« Reply #18 on: 18-10-17, 09:36PM »
I don't know how to create my own posts on here for my issue! but I put in a holiday request 2 months prior to my pre booked holiday ( booked in secret by my other half as a gift) 18-20th of December. 2 days, both of which are not my contracted days. we cant get a refund, it was a gift and my boyfriend is furious! my manager told me to ask the hotel to move our room to January !!!! impossible!!! any advice? I'm on dot com as well.

Global Moderator Comment Your post fits in this topic but please read VLH Supporter Benefits

weebee

« Reply #19 on: 19-10-17, 02:54AM »
If there not your contracted days then you don't need to book them

claden

• Smart Arse
« Reply #20 on: 19-10-17, 03:45AM »
No matter what your manager tells you if it's not your contracted shift you do not 'have' to work. You've given them plenty of notice you are not available on those dates enjoy your holiday

forrestgimp

• VLH Supporter
  • Smart Arse
  • Cant wait to retire when I am 110
« Reply #21 on: 19-10-17, 06:54PM »
I don't know how to create my own posts on here for my issue! but I put in a holiday request 2 months prior to my pre booked holiday ( booked in secret by my other half as a gift) 18-20th of December. 2 days, both of which are not my contracted days. we cant get a refund, it was a gift and my boyfriend is furious! my manager told me to ask the hotel to move our room to January !!!! impossible!!! any advice? I'm on dot com as well.

Your post fits in this topic but please read VLH Supporter Benefits

Why are you booking holidays for days you don't work?

I don't understand 'Hey boss I don't work Sundays or Mondays can I have them off'

'Can you buggery you lazy sod'

Mate tell your manager you wont be on on the days you are not contracted for and leave it at that.

JL

• Sad Muppet
« Reply #22 on: 19-10-17, 07:21PM »
You should only be booking holidays for contracted days. Tell your manager you'll not be in on days you are not contracted for at beck and call. If Tesco want people to be flexible they can start to be as well. There is a Morrisons and Aldi not to far away.

Scruff

• Regular Pain
« Reply #23 on: 20-10-17, 10:13AM »
whats the deal with them getting back to you within 7 days? is them verbally saying you can't have them enough? or does it have to be in writing on the slip?

claden

• Smart Arse
« Reply #24 on: 20-10-17, 11:45AM »
If you gave a holiday form in then they should refuse it on that form