Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
17-12-17, 08:06AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 73678
  • Total Topics: 1612
  • Online Today: 113
  • Online Ever: 826
  • (23-02-15, 06:44PM)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 88
Total: 90

Author Topic: Reach Device upgrade  (Read 6379 times)

gomezz

• Global Moderator
  • Sad Muppet
Re: Reach Device upgrade
« Reply #25 on: 14-10-16, 10:27AM »
I have heard that an update is in the pipeline to integrate the apps together in a better way so you can tap on the customer's address and it will fire up the sat-nav app with that location or you can tap on the customer's telephone number and it will call it without the faff of manually rekeying it.  What would be even better to help new drivers and difficult to find addresses is that it saves the GPS location at the point the signature is Saved and you could then use that to fire up the sat-nav with the precise location but I doubt we will ever see that.

Heard one driver from another store say that they have been told that they *must* use the co-pilot app for each and every address so it can get feedback about routing problems and that they must *not* use their own sat-nav any more.  I call BS on both those directives as more local management muddled thinking.

After nearly twelve years on the job I hardly ever need to use a sat-nav to find somewhere and even less do I need it to show me the way.  Google Maps on my tablet is sometime useful for new build estates as it tends to be updated more quickly than any sat-nav.

@Wheelspin:  I carry a power socket multiplier in my bag in case I need to plug in more devices than there are working sockets.  And a portable power pack with various leads in case there are no working sockets.
« Last Edit: 14-10-16, 10:39AM by gomezz »
"The progress of the kart is more important than its direction"

horatiocain

• Know All
« Reply #26 on: 16-10-16, 07:37PM »
The Sat nav function is a joke, the maps aren't complete, the routes are then not the best route and you lose time, it didn't even have the north circular road in London on the damned thing, everyone in our store is using the old Garmin, because at least their maps are complete.
And her  in London the phone sucks, awful reception and the speaker is I'm told terrible meaning the other end of the line can hardly hear you, you'd be better off with the cheapest phones available we did have before.
The actual reach function is better though.
Biggest problem we've had is that when it dies you're screwed, you lose everything, if they ever stop us taking our own phones out it'll be madness.

The stupid thing is these units cost more than current generation smartphones, which have an awesome Sat nav, excellent phone and could easily run a app for the reach function, and we work for Tesco who have a telecom's section.

Another example of why this company is screwed.

gomezz

• Global Moderator
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #27 on: 16-10-16, 10:06PM »
I think the main justification for the high cost of these units is because they are supposed to be ruggedised to prevent them being physically damaged by normal wear and tear.  In which case they I hope the contract with the provider allows for free replacements as the screens are as fragile as sugar-glass!

wheelspin

• VLH Supporter
  • Smart Arse
« Reply #28 on: 01-11-16, 09:00PM »
 I had one last week that was unlocked.. 

There is about 50 pre installed apps on them.  Most of which I had no clue about. 

But google maps is in there.  By far more useful than the c**ppy satnav on the device. 

The only problem is you have to log onto your google account to use it.    Which is no problem until you forgot to log out and your work mate have access to your email.   

If you still have the feeling of control, you are not going fast enough!

alexbishop123

« Reply #29 on: 09-02-17, 01:44PM »
My Store got the new Reaches this week and they do work well. But I cant understand why tesco would create a system where none of the 4 apps speak to each other.

For example I want to call the customer to inform them I'm running late but I cant do that from the dedicated reach app (where customers sign & you refund stuff). To do so I either have to remember the number or use the manifest which is ok till I loose it in the wind.

Tesco could make it so much faster if on the same screen where you can press "Order", "Rejected" and "Sign" there should be a button that says along the lines of "Directions" which apon pressing loads up the Co Pilot app with address auto entered and the phone numbers on the same screen can either be copied or pressed to open the phone app with the number automatically entered.

This is the only update I would suggest so far, more to come for sure.

horatiocain

• Know All
« Reply #30 on: 10-02-17, 09:48AM »
They did trial a sat nav app on the old reaches and it automatically programmes the route after you signed a customer off, the problem was if the address wasn't in the map it ignored that delivery and moves one.
They dropped that idea pretty quickly.

The problem is the actual sat nav program they use, it's just not very good, and the cell service is rather shocking too.

And despite what they claim they're not difficult to break.

What I can't understand is why they spent a fortune on what could have been done by a 6 year old smart phone for considerably less.

Drivay

« Reply #31 on: 01-03-17, 01:47AM »
My store go them yesterday and i used them for the first time tonight - first mistake they made all the evening drivers came and and didnt have a clue what the pin code for the phone was, that was a laugh!

secondly - the coordinates on the co pilot gps dont use DMS like garmin sat navs do.... and we are in a very rural area so we rely heavily on coordinates, which is going to be a major issue - converting them on the go isnt so bad but we have about 100 still waiting to be put onto customer profiles, and some old boys that drive for .com that just look at a reach and melt!

personally, my own garmin sat nav is staying with me - agree with every one else, the apps should be intergrated, its not hard to hyperlink a phone number and when you click it, it opens pre loaded in the phone app, same with address', etc....

tesco either skimped on the tender for the developer, or someone saw them coming a mile off...

gomezz

• Global Moderator
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #32 on: 01-03-17, 07:43PM »
My store go them yesterday and i used them for the first time tonight - first mistake they made all the evening drivers came and and didnt have a clue what the pin code for the phone was, that was a laugh!
The PIN on ours is set to the store number.  I assumed that was standard.  Mind, I suppose no surprise if some drivers do not have a clue what the number of their store is!  ;)

horatiocain

• Know All
« Reply #33 on: 02-03-17, 06:59AM »
Tesco bought the company that makes them,  that's why they're useless now.

lesleyfromkent

« Reply #34 on: 12-10-17, 03:03PM »
I was given one of these a few days ago and told to "prop it up on the thing that comes out underneath the radio, the shelf thing". But I couldn't see it down there, I propped it up in the cup compartment but it kept falling over. Is there some where to prop it up safely somewhere, preferably somewhere I can use it from?

gomezz

• Global Moderator
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #35 on: 12-10-17, 06:41PM »
Why not use the dedicated charging cradle it comes with that suckers to the windscreen?

(though I find the cradle is handy for my personal phone when using it to play music / podcasts as I rarely need to use sat-nav)
« Last Edit: 12-10-17, 06:43PM by gomezz »

lesleyfromkent

« Reply #36 on: 13-10-17, 07:58AM »
Very sensible solution - and I didn't use the dedicated charging cradle, well,  that would be because I wasn't offered one and I didn't know to ask for it ....... and because when I said "where do I put it" I was told "prop it up on the shelf below the radio". In addition, they've run out of reaches before, and couldn't offer the new thingys because "none of them were charged up, they were all being charged in the back room", which gave me to understand that maybe they could only be charged 'in-house'. Obviously not, I now know.

Next time they run out of reaches, and offer me one of these, I shall know to ask for the "charging attachment with the suckers that goes on the windscreen". Problem solved. Thanks.

gomezz

• Global Moderator
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #37 on: 13-10-17, 09:59AM »
Do you not have one device for each van?  With the cradle for it left permanently suckered in place?