News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

28-03-24, 03:45PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,115
  • Total Topics: 630
  • Online today: 316
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online

Backdoor accidents

Started by Chairswan, 18-05-06, 03:49AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lol ok

If you want a pair of boots you can still order them if it's not standard for your job role. If you do it through our Tesco you just have to tell it you've got a change of job description. In our store a few of us have our own boots, then there's a bit of an assortment of random sizes for anyone who helps from time to time. Works quite well

Aeroquack

You should not be wearing other people's footwear.

Nomad

Never never ever share/wear boots worn by other people.
Nomad ( Forum Admin )
It's better to be up in arms than down on your knees.

thecleaningwoman

never share  footwear, how do you know there not damaged apart from the usual of what if someone has a foot problem, feel sick just thinking of the problems

NewWarehouseLadMids

Hi,
I'm part time backdoor and often unload the main delivery on my own or with very minimal help. I often get a small late fresh delivery on a weekend too about 15 cages which both have to be reloaded with empties and card respectively. In between I have my own section to fill and the MU's to deal with. I'm honestly not up to it and I think I am going to leave. I work my spuds off. While I'm often trimming 10 minutes off my break to ensure I get done other people slowly fill. I'm the stupid one. The more I do the more they want. If you are thinking of becoming a backdoor warehouse man/lady then don't. I'm both backdoor, replenishment and I luckily get to clear the shop floor on a night of the empty cages and cardboard.

Donedonedone

New lad have u been trained?

JL

Donedonedone

Sorry I should have said, have u seen your Training record card? If so, I assume that like the rest of Management out there at depots and store you are ignoring the safety campaign and Tesco disclaimer that u understand that you and I quote "  at no point to unload or reload a delivery on your own"? Or I suppose it will be the way of SENIOR LEADERSHIP ;D

NewWarehouseLadMids

Talked through backdoor procedure and GIVEN answers to questions and asked to fill them in on the sheets. Training was bog standard. Sorry for moaning. We all have c**p days. Going to move on ASAP. Just not right for me. Good luck to all staff. My fellow shop floor workers made the job not too bad at times.

Equalizer87

I never, in my whole time at Tesco, unloaded a wagon with any support and always noted it in the Backdoor Log book. Made sure PPE was correct and prayed for something to happen. Never did though.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"

grim up north

Quote from: Donedonedone on 29-04-17, 05:11PM
Sorry I should have said, have u seen your Training record card? If so, I assume that like the rest of Management out there at depots and store you are ignoring the safety campaign and Tesco disclaimer that u understand that you and I quote "  at no point to unload or reload a delivery on your own"? Or I suppose it will be the way of SENIOR LEADERSHIP ;D

At DC's you load and unload trailers on your own. Double deckers there should be 2 trained ops if that's what you're getting at?

kaled78

my store has one backdoorman at a time so they always do deckers by themselves,have done for years,when the transdeck was installed years ago they acually cut the hours on back door to one person at a time

grim up north

Unloading deckers on your own is a big no no. Refuse to do it. T*sco can't touch you.

Warehousewarrior

Just wondering what way the backdoor staff structure is in the UK is there full time staff in storeroom or a backdoor manager in larger stores ?  I know about tip/fill teams etc just wondering who "owns " the dept and is it treated as a separate dept to say grocery?

JL

Worked in Extra and Metro and never seen anymore than 1 backdoor person.  :thumbdown:

Duracell

Quote from: grim up north on 02-05-17, 07:01PM
Unloading deckers on your own is a big no no. Refuse to do it. T*sco can't touch you.

100% :thumbup:
My Opinion is exactly that, Mine.  Based on my view of what I know , see and what I would do.
"Being a rep doesn't make a person right anymore than not being a rep makes a person wrong " 

Duracell.

candilicious72

Quote from: Warehousewarrior on 21-05-17, 08:44PM
Just wondering what way the backdoor staff structure is in the UK is there full time staff in storeroom or a backdoor manager in larger stores ?  I know about tip/fill teams etc just wondering who "owns " the dept and is it treated as a separate dept to say grocery?

The superstore I worked in, the backdoor was the responsibility of the grocery manager. There was never more than 1 person on the backdoor per shift. They were given job title of backdoor customer assistant. This was divided between 5 people (all part time hours). Since nights went they have 4 people doing it as they needed backdoor to start & finish later. This whole company is a shambles now!

trolleyboy96

Backdoor warehouse managers went during the first management restructure, 2 maybe 3 years ago. Should report to grocery dept now, which isn't a issue in old fashioned nights stores, in twilight stores? Well the staff never see there own manager as they work 6-3 and the twilight managers start at 4pm.

darklighter

I was told you only need two people to unload using a tail lift;  in unloading a decker, should there be two trained members of staff?

If so, what is the scenario; do they both go on the lift and unload the wagon or is the other person there to just help empty the scissor lift and refill with rsu?

Is there somewhere on site here that I can get full details; not that I disbelieve anyone but there will be differing opinions and I need to see any documentation so that we all know our rights.

grim up north

Unloading or loading deckers requires 2 trained operatives to use the lift. In distribution both people go on the lift and load/unload off the lift. Basically if the lift is travelling up or down there are 2 trained people on it.

baldeagle

Drivers are informed that two store staff are required to off load a DD. One member of staff remains at floor level, the driver must not stay in the trailer but go up and down with the lift. If in doubt ask the store for the risk assessment for this procedure,which should have been instructed to your trained staff.

darklighter

Our H&S rep said they are having trouble getting risk assessments from the store, surely they are not pushing this enough as it is our right by law to have these assessmnets?

baldeagle

Store risk assessments to my knowledge are held centrally, and can easily be printed off.Tell your H&S rep to issue a union issued form re H&S problems.And ask how can I be considered trained if you cannot inform me of the correct procedure and you want a reply in writing from your union H&S rep or manager. Its a legal requirement for staff to have a risk assessment.

darklighter

Firstly, thank you for your help.

It was the union H&S rep I spoke to and said they were having problems at store level so I would imagine that they are unsure of what they can and cannot do regarding their position which puts staff not only at risk but in a position therefore reluctant to make a stand without knowing the full facts.

baldeagle

If your store H&S rep has a problem ask them to contact the local union office for advice, or you can do it your self,I know full well your problems but keep going.The bog standard reply when you have an accident is " you never followed procedure ". If you don,t know the procedure you cannot comply so get a response in writing and let your store face the consequences.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk