News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

19-04-24, 12:36PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,366
  • Total Topics: 636
  • Online today: 516
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 393
Total: 393

Double Time on Sunday... uh oh

Started by sufRu, 14-01-16, 08:51PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lordadmiral

I am on single time rate for OT so I will not loose anything.  But if Tesco starts cutting night premiums and Sunday premium then it will be time to change the job.  Today £1460  gross gives average of £10 per hour so even if Tesco will offer £9.50 per hour and no extra night premium for nights then our wage is simply going down.  Who will want to work nights for less money???

Better wait and see what will happen with our pay.

horatiocain

From a drivers point of view why would I work for Tesco without a Sunday premium, I'd get more at ocado who have an easier job because they know how to retain drivers, the only reason any of our Sunday staff work Sundays is because of premiums, if it's like this for the time and half guys it must be doubly so for double time staff.
And what are they going to do when the minimum wage pushes other staff wages up to ours, I'd be screwed if I'd do it for the same wage as the the loaders, why would anyone.
I'm so glad to be leaving soon, it's not a nice place to work anymore, all the capable staff are leaving, and once the pay is no longer better than the other retailers why would good staff stay, ocado near our depot have taken over 30 of our drivers because conditions are better, it'll be interesting to see how many flood there once pay is too.

OpShunned

Please tell me this is just conjecture and that USDAW haven't agreed in principle to enter discussions with the hierarchy to allow this to happen?

Noyouwont

So just to confirm, its all premiums that are going on Sunday, not just double???
Everybody's going to be on single time????
With no power comes no responsibility.

fscer

No one knows anything yet, just rumors.

Duracell

Quote from: Loki on 21-01-16, 07:44AM
There will be no vote for stores. It has been negotiated and agreed via the National Forum.

I realise your opinion is there won't be a vote, however it would seem that any change to the terms of individual contracts between Employer and Employee  needs expressed agreement from both sides and shouldn't be changed via a unilateral collective agreement, individual consent would be a legal requirement, this is supported with examples of case law.
I appreciate your stance and opinion, but I feel the usual route of consultation wouldn't meet the legal requirements with regard to the changes that are being suggested.

I have a really worrying concern about the direction things are going.

Regardless of what people think, EU law Dictates along with National laws that if express terms in a contract between Employer and Employee need to change then both parties of the contract Must agree to the change, USDAW or any of its officials can't consent or agree for you.

My Opinion is exactly that, Mine.  Based on my view of what I know , see and what I would do.
"Being a rep doesn't make a person right anymore than not being a rep makes a person wrong " 

Duracell.

OpShunned

I'm not so sure that the 'individual' has a lot to say in this instance given the individual's minority representation  in terms of a Sunday presence?

As pointed out elsewhere, another company voted in favour of a premium cut in favour of an overall improvement to global payrise.

Sunday trading as a 'normal day's trading' was always going to be a game-changer inasmuch that employers would need to anticipate an increased presence of staff on this day. Is it not contentious for some employees to be be on a single type rate working alongside others on double-bubble?

Added to the mix has been this recent acceleration of minimum wage increases therein throwing another dice into the tally?

LADIES AND GENTLEMEN. WELCOME TO ANOTHER EXAMPLE OF A 'RACE TO THE BOTTOM' .

The joke is is on us at the bottom already.  :D :D

Duracell

Individual Contract is not about any kind of representation, it is about the particular individuals consent.

If 1 in 100 workers only work a Sunday and the company want to cut the rates for sunday working, the 1 in 100 need to give indivual consent to the change.

Morrisons are Represented by USDAW as too are ASDA, so as for a vote, Who voted, how many voted, and out of those that voted how many were affected by loss.

I would greivance any process that allows the participation of any worker to make a decision that does not affect them.

My Opinion is exactly that, Mine.  Based on my view of what I know , see and what I would do.
"Being a rep doesn't make a person right anymore than not being a rep makes a person wrong " 

Duracell.

OpShunned

'I'm uncertain as to whether 'consent' has much clout for the one in a hundred and worries me most.

There may well be an air of inevitability in all this, and for me, I would welcome a buyout of my Sunday supplement, closely followed by a redundancy package just to get out of the upcoming vortex.

There will be soon 'no pride' in being working class, getting off your arse to hold down a job. Servitude will be taught as a good thing in your life. Resistance will be futile  :D. Accept what you are given or be deemed a naysayer/criminal.

We are headed for the 'Third way'

formerscoboy

Quote from: Duracell on 21-01-16, 06:15PM
Individual Contract is not about any kind of representation, it is about the particular individuals consent.

If 1 in 100 workers only work a Sunday and the company want to cut the rates for Sunday working, the 1 in 100 need to give indivual consent to the change.

Morrisons are Represented by USDAW as too are ASDA, so as for a vote, Who voted, how many voted, and out of those that voted how many were affected by loss.

I would grievance any process that allows the participation of any worker to make a decision that does not affect them.

Duracell asda are not represented by usdaw,.....they only recognise the gmb

Duracell

I have had the pleasure of meeting USDAW reps who work for ASDA.

Duracell.

Pathfinder

When they decided to end the Saturday premiums they offered a buy out , I refused a few weeks later I was then told the process of contractual notice would begin and I would be offered a new contract without Saturday premiums. I guess we will be given the option of accepting the buyout before they start giving notice to staff.

formerscoboy

Quote from: Duracell on 21-01-16, 07:39PM
I have had the pleasure of meeting USDAW reps who work for ASDA.

Obviously my 6 years as a senior manager counts for nothing then as you've "met" a rep. Usdaw are not recognised... Are they like the usdaw reps that work for aldi?

Loki

Usdaw not recognised by Asda. Recognised Union are GMB.
When all else fails, madness is the emergency exit.

Duracell

Rather odd, USDAW are training Asda staff to be reps.
Seems a bit of a pointless exercise if they have no recognition.

But you must both be right and I witnessed a totally pointless futile exercise.

Duracell.

Mungo

Duracell,

Knowing USDAW, that sounds like a totally pointless thing they would come up with. So glad I left them, and took my money with me.

oliver

USDAW is a business making money its simple as that, some reps do it from their hearts some are in it for themselves, two at our store have openly said that to me.  Have USDAW communicated with staff in the last 6 months about anything ?

lucgeo

Duracell

USDAW and totally pointless in the same sentence ???

Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

picktocube

usdaw was  Asdas recognised union in Northern Ireland several years ago ,but I am unsure if they still are. 

Loki

Quote from: Duracell on 21-01-16, 09:35PM
Rather odd, USDAW are training Asda staff to be reps.
Seems a bit of a pointless exercise if they have no recognition.

But you must both be right and I witnessed a totally pointless futile exercise.

Whatever you witnessed doesn't alter the fact that GMB are the recognised Union not Usdaw.

formerscoboy

[admin]Please do not quote immediately prior post(s).[/admin]

Well said Loki in my humble opinion GMB are actually more of a puppet than usdaw,

Loki

Quote from: Duracell on 21-01-16, 05:20PM
Quote from: Loki on 21-01-16, 07:44AM
There will be no vote for stores. It has been negotiated and agreed via the National Forum.

I realise your opinion is there won't be a vote, however it would seem that any change to the terms of individual contracts between Employer and Employee  needs expressed agreement from both sides and shouldn't be changed via a unilateral collective agreement, individual consent would be a legal requirement, this is supported with examples of case law.
I appreciate your stance and opinion, but I feel the usual route of consultation wouldn't meet the legal requirements with regard to the changes that are being suggested.

It's not an opinion and it is certainly not something I agree with or endorse. You do not work within the store format and therefore understandably to not understand the way in which the pay negotiations are handled on behalf of stores.

The way in which pay negotiations are conducted AND agreed are indeed a disgrace, but at the same time are legal.

The cessation of the Saturday premiums were consulted and negotiated on in the usual manner and met the legal requirements via the Partnership Agreement for stores.

My opinion is that it is a disgrace. You know me well enough to know that of me by now Duracell. However, my opinion matters not, I can only relay to you the facts of the process within stores and that which are compliant with legislation via the Partnership Agreement.

Mickymouse1962

well I would look forward  to  a buy out of Sunday and bank holidays  premium  means I won't be working over easter this year

mosquito

Even though we don't know exactly what s happening we do know that next week Store Managers have their briefing and then on the 1st of Feb a union member from stores attend their meeting, the email states that these participants are not allowed to return to stores when the meeting has concluded, the info is embargoed till the 2nd of Feb.
We will all know very soon.....

SAMCRO

Something big is happening then, just like last years restructure I guess I'll end up finding out all the details on here - long before the powers that be in my store decide to tell me anything.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk