News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

28-03-24, 10:34PM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,126
  • Total Topics: 630
  • Online today: 325
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 269
Total: 270

Double Time on Sunday... uh oh

Started by sufRu, 14-01-16, 08:51PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dontbelieveaword

Can anyone explain why managers are getting a transition payment even though they are already on time and a half for Sunday's and bank holidays and have never qualified for double time?

Hammer10

Some managers would have been on double time because I was once one and Sunday's were paid at double.

Dontbelieveaword

Not after September 2000 all colleagues and managers on time and a half for Sunday's and bank holidays

Expressdude2016

It may be because of other premiums or overtime. Some managers depending on start date had overtime rate if they worked a 6th day which has not gone.

Shafted

Quote from: Dontbelieveaword on 05-11-16, 08:11PM
Can anyone explain why managers are getting a transition payment even though they are already on time and a half for Sunday's and bank holidays and have never qualified for double time?
Maybe because some of them do get double time Sunday and some of them do work Sunday's so why would they not be?

Dontbelieveaword

I understand managers getting a payment if they were on double time and worked Sundays, but if already on time and a half and work Sundays why get a pay off ?.

Shafted

It could be because the bank holidays will now be time and a half?

Expressdude2016

How do you know that there getting one? Its meant to be confidential.

Mrbline

Some managers only got £25 to £50 night, managers on 1.5  received around £200 due to night premium 1.

Monkeymagic

Managers before the cutoff date of employment, (200?), would have got double time for Sunday work the same as anyone else, now reduced to time and half, hence payment in lieu now

Dontbelieveaword

All managers in my store got a payment of over £400 some got over £1500, cause the compliance manager was putting the Sunday overtime through as time and a half so all the managers got a payment they didn't even qualify for, where's the justice.  They all have less than ten years service it's a joke.  Union not interested but If a lowly ga was 'overpaid' they would be asking for it back

Hammer10

I love it managers trying to get staff work Boxing Day and people saying no you know why no double time,greedy bunch of whatnots anyway we should be shut plenty of other days to go shopping.

his scots tie

Who on earth is going to work for 3.75 hours on any Bank Holiday. The other 7.5 hours don't forget is given as a day off.  Don't forget when you work a Bank Holiday 7.5 hours is taken off your basic pay, just to confuse ever one and make them think they are getting paid more for working BH.

claden

So how is the pay out going to be worked out when they cut sunday/bh rate to time and a quarter? Will be based on last 12 months? And paid for 18 months like the last time?

chris9997

For most people the payout will be minimum as the way it is worked out I believe is  actual pay last July - this July against this July to July 2019 and as the first increase was in the July 17 to July 18 the loss will be greatly reduced .

lordadmiral

Yes they will use increase in basic pay to substitute loss in premiums. So instead of £1k you receive only £500.

Millie

Quote from: chris9997 on 22-04-18, 03:00PM
For most people the payout will be minimum as the way it is worked out I believe is  actual pay last July - this July against this July to July 2019 and as the first increase was in the July 17 to July 18 the loss will be greatly reduced .
. Can you explain how it's worked out ? Thanks

chris9997

I can not  find the booklet to confirm this but as I believe I read it and I have worked out for myself that I gain less than £200 for the year I will try to explain and someone can correct me if they believe I am wrong.

July pay 2017 to June  pay 2018 versus July pay 2018 to June 2019 because there was a pay increase in November 2017 the difference between the two sets of dates will be significantly less.

Welshie

I have no doubt that after payments are made , we'll still be none the wiser how it was worked out .
When premiums were lost last time , I didn't lose anything but got about £300 pay out.  Others lost money and got less , I think I'll just wait and see .

billandben

Quote from: lordadmiral on 22-04-18, 07:49PM
Yes they will use increase in basic pay to substitute loss in premiums. So instead of £1k you receive only £500.
They did that in 4 stores in my area, Sunday day shift got nothing. They gave us location pay so the only pay out was to night premium losses not the Sunday double time

lordadmiral

The more overtimes you do (BH, Sun) the more you get.
Old pay: 7,62*1.5=11.43; new pay (dec 2018); 8,42*1.25=10.52; curent pay: 8,02*1.5=12.03; will never be: 8,42*1.5=12.63.
Simply saying,tesco will save 2.11 per hour on us by cutting premium.
As chris9997 said payout would be round 200 pound. But if you compare diference 10.52 vs 12.63 its 822.9 pounds (52 sundays, 7,5h each).

barafear

Not sure anyone has given a clear "example" of how we "think" it will be calculated. LordAdmiral's post merely compared Sunday pay pre and post the change - Tesco will be using your entire weekly/monthly wage.
Here's my guess - because the original document was not very lucid about the actual arrangements, and despite me questioning various managers (incl the Personnel Mgr) I never did get confirmation on a few points - one of which is "what 12 month period is being compared" - so here goes - if we assume it is July-June:

Example 1: GA works 14 paid hours per week, 7 on a weekday and 7 on a Sunday.

July 17 - June 18: Weekday hours were paid at 7.62 up to Nov 17, and then 8.02 from then. If we average this out, we get 1/3rd @ 7.62 and 2/3 @ 8.02 = average = 7.89, which means Sunday = 1.5*7.89 = 11.84. So average weekly wage = (7*7.89)+(7*11.84) = 138.05

July 18 - June 19: I'm guess from July-Nov, they will base it on 8.18 per hour (we get 16p in July) - and then from Nov we get another 2.5% is it? (Someone please confirm?) - so that would be 8.38. So again, on a 1/3 and 2/3 split, the average for that period is 8.31, so average weekly wage = (7*8.31)+(7*8.31*1.25) = 130.88

Difference in pay = 7.17 worse off - times 18 months (78 weeks) = £559 compensation

However, this is on a relatively uncommon split of 50/50 between normal/Sunday pay.

Taking a more probable example: GA works 21 hours, 14 on weekday and 7 on Sunday.  Then the weekly pays are as follows:

So average weekly wage = (14*7.89)+(7*11.84) = 193.34

New "year": (14*8.31)+(7*8.31*1.25) = 189.05

So, on this example, 4.29 worse off per week - so payout would be less -

This assumes I have the Nov 18 payrise of 2.5% correct.......

JL

Barafear

Could you summarise?

barafear

To summarise, the higher the proportion that Sunday hours form of your total working week, the more likely you will be to get a compensation payout.

If your Sunday hours form 35% or less of your total working week, your payout will be very minimal if anything at all.

Plato

There was a copy of the calculation on the USDAW at Tesco Facebook page which  I read Tesco is  using to work out the payout. We were also told only 3% would get anything.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk