News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

28-03-24, 03:15PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,115
  • Total Topics: 630
  • Online today: 316
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 287
Total: 290

unused Holiday and Covid

Started by chris9997, 04-03-21, 02:39PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bonny Heather

If you take 1 year lifestyle break a form is sent to payroll and you will only be entitled to statutory holidays not Tesco full year holidays

Rad

Quote from: NightAndDay on 07-03-21, 02:44PM
Quote from: Welshie on 07-03-21, 01:49PM
No that's incorrect.  If you take a year you still get your paid years holiday entitlement.

I know that's why I said in my view, it should work the way I described but it doesn't. As it's also how Tescos holiday accrual on the payslip works with "amount earned" and "amount taken", in essense you're accruing holiday by not working which is a bit odd.
Quote from: siamesal on 07-03-21, 02:29PM
Hi, I don't think this is the right one to post this on but I work in dotcom part time on weekends (with overtime in the week when I can) and I also attend university. With the exam season coming up, I've inquired about possibly getting a study leave for my exam period but the response from my managers have been so varied. A study leave would be so helpful because I have around 12/13 exams as I study a really intensive course but my exams are spread out throughout April and May and because I joined in December 2020, I dont't have enough holidays to book most weekends off to revise.

A few other people also came back from uni to work in dotcom during the Christmas period but they only came to work whislt they were off uni, i.e. they told me they were put on student contracts. My managers know that I myself am a uni student but I don't get the same contract opportunity.

Our management system is a bit confusing so to help avoid confusion I'll address them as manager A, B, C and so on. Managers B and C are joint dotcom managers where B has the power to decide whether I get a study leave or not, however they weren't around for me to ask. This is also what manager C said. Whilst talking to manager C, a new manager (D) came and said that "we don't use student contracts" but they allowed other dotcom workers/uni students to have them?? Manager D then said that I'd have to give my notice in and reapply for the job once my exams are over but there's a high turnover in dotcom and I don't even know whether they'd take me back. After this, manager C said to just book holidays for revision but I only get 3 days which is nothing for my revision, in reality I need a lot longer.

I spoke to manager A as well and they said to speak to manager B. Thing is, manager B is horrible judgemental, and the non-compromising kind. They're not the understanding type. Even if I explained by situation, they'd probably just ignore and not care what I've told them, even though this was the same person that put other dotcom workers on unofficial student contracts. They'll just tell me to book a holiday which would only be one single weekend for 7 weeks of exams or get lost.

I'm not sure what to do anymore. I don't want to quit just for revision but a one weekend holiday won't be enough and I'm scared the managers will downplay my exam situation to nothing.

Any advice will be appreciated and sorry this was so annoyingly long, had to give full context :(
Unless it has changed recently you are entitled to unpaid time off for study leave.  If its still an option it will be on colleague help or our tesco.

Redshoes

Quote from: Bonny Heather on 07-03-21, 04:30PM
If you take 1 year lifestyle break a form is sent to payroll and you will only be entitled to statutory holidays not Tesco full year holidays

I don't think you have been with company long enough to do this.
You can use holiday but it's probably best not to use too much as you need time out during the rest of the year too. You could do a mixture of hols and unpaid if you can afford to do that.

grim up north

Quote from: oldfashionedplayer on 07-03-21, 05:32AM
You put in a grievance, as holidays that were not booked by October they were supposed to be booked by managers in December for those colleagues, whether they wanted those dates or not, they could change them later.... Attached the pdf that was sent out  with retail news back then 😁

I should have clarified, I work in Distribution so dont have holiday meetings

Quote from: Redshoes on 07-03-21, 09:24AM
Quote from: grim up north on 06-03-21, 06:49PM
And what's the options if they are refusing for you to take holidays? It's happening now where I work. Loads of people have a lot of holidays left, and are being refused all March as there are too many people already off on holiday. So what can be done?

That has been badly managed. People needed to continue to take holidays to avoid this situation but more than that, they needed time out from work. It's not a holiday just now, it's just time out. There has been some reluctance but people have said they did not realise how tired they were until they had some time off. Some have done overtime on non contracted days during holidays. This is ok for some but not for all holidays. It's the break away from work that is needed.

So what are the options for people with holiday left and not allowed to take them?

lackofinterest

you should still receive the holiday pay. you're entitled to it. it would be breach of contract

Redshoes

Quote from: grim up north on 08-03-21, 10:15AM
Quote from: oldfashionedplayer on 07-03-21, 05:32AM
You put in a grievance, as holidays that were not booked by October they were supposed to be booked by managers in December for those colleagues, whether they wanted those dates or not, they could change them later.... Attached the pdf that was sent out  with retail news back then 😁

I should have clarified, I work in Distribution so dont have holiday meetings

Quote from: Redshoes on 07-03-21, 09:24AM
Quote from: grim up north on 06-03-21, 06:49PM
And what's the options if they are refusing for you to take holidays? It's happening now where I work. Loads of people have a lot of holidays left, and are being refused all March as there are too many people already off on holiday. So what can be done?

That has been badly managed. People needed to continue to take holidays to avoid this situation but more than that, they needed time out from work. It's not a holiday just now, it's just time out. There has been some reluctance but people have said they did not realise how tired they were until they had some time off. Some have done overtime on non contracted days during holidays. This is ok for some but not for all holidays. It's the break away from work that is needed.

So what are the options for people with holiday left and not allowed to take them?

There are two ways of dealing with this.

Agreement is made in store to resolve. Holidays booked and taken. Holidays booked and taken but just on paper and t/l given in next holiday year.

Holidays moved over, this can't be done until 31st March. It is then applied for and it goes out of store. There has to be a very good reason for it though and it's paid. It has to be something like long term sick so not been in work to be able to take holiday. It can't be because "we were too busy and I could not fit it in" that type of missed holiday has to be an agreed way forward with your manager.   

If your manager has not managed things and there are now too many holidays at the end of the holiday year and can't be fitted in there has to be an agreed way forward to resolve this.

grim up north

As I said, I'm in distribution so I don't know if what you replied Redshoes applies. It's not for me, but several people I work with have had their holidays refused. We're taking 10's of people here, all are being told they cant have their holidays. I was just wondering what advice I could give them. I realise grievance is one route

Mark calloway

I think they are letting one guy who's got 3 weeks left because they didnt pay him his hols while on his 5 month lifestyle break carry them over even though they've refused others. I really wish I knew why this guy gets favouritism all the time

Rowena

Quote from: grim up north on 09-03-21, 10:09AM
As I said, I'm in distribution so I don't know if what you replied Redshoes applies. It's not for me, but several people I work with have had their holidays refused. We're taking 10's of people here, all are being told they cant have their holidays.

I am also in distribution.  When this situation happened in our DS, I was insistent, got paid for my holiday in the current holiday year and was given a TOIL day very early in the new holiday year.  It wasn't simple and my manager had to manually clock me in and out on my TOIL day.

chris9997

Not sure why he manually clocked you in and out, I am sure this is forbidden to clock someone on shift when they were not in as there is no record of your toil.

DHardy

One of my colleagues won a few days off in a raffle, how did they pay him for that?

Slightly off topic but I'm wondering is tesco giving us an additional paid bank holiday for fri 3rd June next year? 

gomezz

Queen's Platinum Jubilee for those of us wondering.   8-)
"The progress of the kart is more important than its direction"

Biscuits

Quote from: DHardy on 18-03-21, 11:45AM
One of my colleagues won a few days off in a raffle, how did they pay him for that?
They probably put it through as Paid Absence, there is a wages coding for that, so it doesn't come out of any holiday allowance.

dotnochance

Well they haven't said anything about it? So no. And is it a national holiday?

Redshoes

We have our bh list for the year and it's not one of them. There has been a bit of confusion over 26/12 and 27/12 though. People who work Sundays were not automatically put in system for 26/12 off but those working Mondays were for the 27th. We are a SS so closed on 26th but open on 27th. There has had to be a lot of manual changes.

dairyfresh

Queens jubilee is next year not this year

kateluff

Quote from: .....1 on 19-03-21, 12:49PM
Slightly off topic but I'm wondering is Tesco giving us an additional paid bank holiday for Fri 3rd June next year?
It will be the same as the diamond jubilee [2012], you can book the day off but use your holiday allowance, no extra day given.

Andydoe

I've asked for a holiday on the 3rd april I am working the good friday but been refused not because there is anyone off because there isnt but because we might be busy is that a good enough excuse for not allowing me a holiday .

lackofinterest

don't work good friday then!! that will be busy aswell 8-)

lackofinterest

Quote from: kateluff on 20-03-21, 08:14PM
Quote from: .....1 on 19-03-21, 12:49PM
Slightly off topic but I'm wondering is Tesco giving us an additional paid bank holiday for Fri 3rd June next year?
It will be the same as the diamond jubilee [2012], you can book the day off but use your holiday allowance, no extra day given.

typical!! tight bar stewards!!

blablabla

COVID , am off  1 week with COVID very unwell my manager phoned to say use my remaining holidays whilst off sick?
Said I will be off another week at least as it's in my chest told to get a GP line?
Is this line an a requirement? Are you only allowed one week paid absence with COVID or is my manager at it?

Redshoes

It's because it's the end of the holiday year but you don't need to use holiday for a COVID absence.

blablabla

COVID , am off  1 week with COVID do you need a sick line after one week being off with COVID? Do you get paid also?

Morris999

You will be paid for Covid up to a maximum of 10 days with the NHS reference No. to prove you have tested positive or been told to isolate by Track & Trace.
If you are still suffering symptoms after that then it's a fit note and normal SYA policy applies.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk