Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
15-12-18, 05:13AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 81787
  • Total Topics: 1721
  • Online Today: 137
  • Online Ever: 826
  • (23-02-15, 06:44PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 65
Total: 65

Author Topic: Dagenham strike vote.  (Read 12342 times)

Nomad

• Administrator
  • Sad Muppet
  • Who dares, wins.
Dagenham strike vote.
« on: 15-04-18, 05:16PM »
Staff at Tesco’s Dagenham distribution centre in Rainham vote ‘overwhelmingly’ to strike

Members of the Union of Shop, Distributive and Allied Workers (Usdaw) at the centre in Consul Avenue, Rainham, voted by 70 per cent, on a turnout of 63pc, to strike after both sides failed to agree an acceptable pay deal.

The most recent offer – rejected by union members – was worth less than 3pc over 12 months, according to Usdaw.

a Tesco spokesman said: “We are very disappointed the union committee representing our Dagenham site has decided to move towards industrial action............"

Somebody should tell the spokesman that it was the union members who moved towards industrial action, the union does (or should) follow the members bidding.
Nomad ( Forum Admin )
It's better to be up in arms than down on your knees.

strebor

• Regular Pain
Re: Dagenham strike vote.
« Reply #1 on: 15-04-18, 05:30PM »
Well done take my hat off to you all  :thumbup:

notsofunny

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #2 on: 15-04-18, 05:49PM »

Great going ,  :thumbup:

Any ideas on how many staff Tesco employ at this site directly ?

tiptop

« Reply #3 on: 15-04-18, 08:12PM »
with this news i would think this years pay negs are going too be very interesting indeed and am sure tesco's bean counters are flapping big time AND tesco's big wigs must be putting huge pressure on the usdaw big wigs too get this too go away interesting times indeed.

optout

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #4 on: 15-04-18, 08:29PM »
Very irresponsible of Dagneham to do this, pushing for a larger rise will only have a knock-on effect on the money available to the company, won't it? This Dagenham money has to come from somewhere, don't it?

And wouldn't this mean much less money for those in stores, especially as we are going through an equal pay (in comparison to warehouse workers) issue at the moment?

in fact wouldn't this cause job losses else where if Dagenham were to continue this action, say-it-aint-so?

;)

I think Dagenham should grow-a-pair and settle for what they are given, very greedy and ungrateful if you ask me.

OR maybe the fact that most of you are men, makes all of the difference; gotta-keep-the-little-women-down-now-haven't-we. :thumbup:
« Last Edit: 15-04-18, 08:33PM by optout »
I AM NOT A REP, BUT......

Equalizer87

• Sad Muppet
« Reply #5 on: 15-04-18, 08:36PM »
Well done Dagenham  :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

This is real action and proof of how Distribution  are fortunate to have this ability. USDAW and the stores should do the right thing and tear up the Partnership  Agreement.

But it may have to be the Distribution that delivers the message.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"

RubyRed

« Reply #6 on: 15-04-18, 09:40PM »
Optout, couldn’t agree more. The money for any increase will have to come from somewhere. I’m sure the people saying well done have either not considered that or are the bitter people who no longer work for Tesco but like to hang onto the past!

Itiswhatitis

« Reply #7 on: 15-04-18, 10:02PM »
Optout and ruby red, they have vacancies at Dagenham, but the pays not very good.  :D :D

memberx

« Reply #8 on: 15-04-18, 10:10PM »
Dagenham Dc are probably on a lot more money than other Dcs that have already settled pay rises. Dagenham knew the pay rate when they took the job in the first place. Sheer greed. If staff don't like it they are free to leave and take a role with another company. No wonder Fords left Dagenham.

Teddybonkers

« Reply #9 on: 15-04-18, 10:59PM »
Optout, couldn’t agree more. The money for any increase will have to come from somewhere. I’m sure the people saying well done have either not considered that or are the bitter people who no longer work for Tesco but like to hang onto the past!

So Tesco have just recorded over £1b profit and can't afford a decent pay rise. Shame on you RubyRed - you're priorities are way off the mark.
« Last Edit: 15-04-18, 11:00PM by Teddybonkers »

alf

• VLH Supporter
  • Know All
« Reply #10 on: 15-04-18, 11:55PM »
Very irresponsible of stores to do this, pushing for a larger rise will only have a knock-on effect on the money available to the company, won't it? This stores money has to come from somewhere, don't it?

And wouldn't this mean much less money for those in everywhere, especially as we are going through an equal pay (in comparison to warehouse workers) issue at the moment?

in fact wouldn't this cause job losses everywhere where to continue this action, say-it-aint-so?

;)

I think stores should grow-a-pair and settle for what they are given, very greedy and ungrateful if you ask me.

If anything this twisted logic can be used to show why everyone should abandon the equal pay business.

Quote from: optout
OR maybe the fact that most of you are men, makes all of the difference; gotta-keep-the-little-women-down-now-haven't-we. :thumbup:

As for this, 2 USDAW national officers in regards to pay for Tesco are Pauline Foulkes and Joanne McGuinness, as you may suspect they are both female.

And for stores, pay review decisions involve national forum representatives, and decisions are then voted on by 12 of them.

they are listed as follows.

Peter Robson male
Mervyn Sterry male
Ian Scott male
Sandra Davies female
Michelle pr*tchett female
Christine Belton female
Jane Rowley female
Paula Croydon female
Lynn Tarris female
Kimberley Wright female
Crystal Macangus female
Janes Jones female
Lisa Charlish female
Sonia Mellett female
Jan Jervis female
Grania Lavery female
Lee Clark male
Jenny Porter female
Dave Sawyers male
Steve Newman male
Dan Barres male
Vicky Townsend female
Tracey Godden female
Janise Corfield female
Michael Smith male
Lisa Stewart female
Tricia Elder female
Kathryn (Kate) Hill female
Teresa Passmore female
Elizabeth Shields female
Dave Hampton male
Gill Morley female
Yvonne Corbett female
Julia Venables female
Heidi Herlihy female
Sarah Davies female

So thats 27 out of 36 being female, seems pretty lopsided to me, damn sexism. 

Pochin123

• VLH Supporter
« Reply #11 on: 16-04-18, 12:43AM »
Very well done Dagenham, wish my dc had the ball's to strike, all mouths and big I AM till the vote then the backbone suddenly disappears.  >:D >:D
Has This Been Briefed Out??

lackofinterest

• Sad Muppet
« Reply #12 on: 16-04-18, 01:51AM »
good on ya dagenham. shame us in stores have to accept what we're given!  :thumbup:

Hammer10

• Smart Arse
« Reply #13 on: 16-04-18, 02:20AM »
Good luck to them wish our lot would have done the same maybe I would be better of now instead going to be another 70 pounds a month less soon due to cut in premium.

FunkSoulBrother

« Reply #14 on: 16-04-18, 07:30AM »
That some good news, Dagenham! And Teddybonkers, you spoke the word! Now talk will start that Dagenham is self-fish, same old blabla and divide-and-rule. Some questions for any industrial action beyond the token one-hour walk-out that come to mind: how much of a rank-and-final decision is it to actually take industrial action and how much does the final say depend on the higher levels of the union (who might pull the plug)? how many members are there in relation to entire workforce, how many temps etc. who might carry on working (how could they be convinced not to)? could Tesco management use other DCs in the area to pick up work from Dagenham short-term, e.g. dot.com Enfield? what about the drivers, are they part of the dispute?
the harder they come...

redcar renegade

• Know All
« Reply #15 on: 16-04-18, 08:06AM »
Wow and there was the membership of Usdaw thinking that Tesco ran the union.we at Middlesbrough fully support Dagenham members right to strike.lets see what top of union react to been told what to do by the membership.

Duracell

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #16 on: 16-04-18, 09:38AM »
As long as the “Numbers” meet the New legislation implemented last year, then the N.O’s have to run with the majority decision.
My Opinion is exactly that, Mine.  Based on my view of what I know , see and what I would do.
"Being a rep doesn't make a person right anymore than not being a rep makes a person wrong " 

Duracell.

Nomad

• Administrator
  • Sad Muppet
  • Who dares, wins.
« Reply #17 on: 16-04-18, 01:56PM »
It's strange how some people complain or condemn when the working man adopts the ethos of the majority of business men/women, which is:

"Get as much as you can and if it effects others, tough."
Nomad ( Forum Admin )
It's better to be up in arms than down on your knees.

RubyRed

« Reply #18 on: 16-04-18, 06:16PM »
Teddybonkers, I have no shame at all. It’s my opinion. Tesco May have made a huge profit but they can’t put it all into pay. There was a time when people would have been happy with 3%. I think performance related increases should be for all not just managers. People shouldn’t be entitled to a pay rise just for being employed.

alf

• VLH Supporter
  • Know All
« Reply #19 on: 16-04-18, 06:32PM »
And people wonder why USDAW are so toothless...

tescopleb

• Smart Arse
« Reply #20 on: 16-04-18, 07:02PM »
Agreed Alfred, good grief even the daily mail wouldnt come up with that one and that's from one of our own. What chance do we have. And let's not forget they CAN afford to pay a living wage, they just don't want to.  The comment about performance pay suggests Rubyred is a relative newbie cos anybody with any experience knows why that is such a bad idea.

Rigger

« Reply #21 on: 16-04-18, 07:46PM »
Goodluck Dagenham & fair play to you, I voted to reject our pay deal at DC I’m in but it got voted through anyway, take no notice of people like optout  :thumbup:

optout

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #22 on: 16-04-18, 08:19PM »
just a Hypocrisy net, hoping to catch a few tiddlers for tea >:D

alf

• VLH Supporter
  • Know All
« Reply #23 on: 16-04-18, 08:27PM »
More like a false equivalence. 

optout

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #24 on: 16-04-18, 08:43PM »
@alf

part of one of your responses from the Leigh/Day equal pay thread

'But I wouldn't be so sure about retail being any better if this goes through, those massive payroll increases will need to come from somewhere.'

I think i've caught me a tiddler, and just in time for supper.

I know another way to solve the equal pay problem would be a 'freeze on pay for those who are being paid more'. Just until those in stores have caught up. So what do ya say @alf? What do ya say Dagenham?

Although a thought has just occurred to me, the bigger the gap in pay between the highest and the lowest, the more tesco will have to pay out, I think if this Dagenham pay increase thing works then that would really cripple this hard done by company. So fair play to ya @alf, I think I can see where your coming from now, nice one comrade. ;)
« Last Edit: 16-04-18, 08:48PM by optout »